You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5000pt.jpg
Beer.gif
SJsnippet.jpg
#1 9 years ago

It started with the game not scoring properly, but now other odd things are happening.

The first thing to tackle is that the drop target bank does not reset. It resets at start up, but when all 7 targets are hit, the reset relay pulls in, and the score motor runs and runs and runs and runs, while the reset relay energizes and releases and energizes and releases....well, you get the idea.

I'm thinking a score motor switch isn't making, but I don't see it.

Any thoughts.

The 2nd problem is the scoring issue. The 500pt relay pulls in when the 50pt relay is energized. I also don't see any switches out of adjustment or obvious shorts.

#2 9 years ago

You likely have a loose (or corroded pins on the) Jones Plug connector either on the bottom insert board or in the back box.

#3 9 years ago

Check the AS unit and alternating relay. Check the switch on the drop target bank that is supposed to close when all the targets are down. If none of this works, I'll be down Thursday to relieve you of the game.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks Joe,

I already checked both, as well as the Jones plugs.

lol @ relieve me of the game. We'll see.......

-W

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

You likely have a loose (or corroded pins on the) Jones Plug connector either on the bottom insert board or in the back box.

It's a Gottlieb, not a Bally!

#6 9 years ago

On Sky Jump, the Target Bank reset coils are activated by normally closed switches on B, C, then a make/break switch closing on E, then a switch closing at score motor position 2C. I would think Free Fall is the same.

B and C are the 50 and 500 pt. relays, and E is the 5000 pt and Reset Target bank relay.

Since the game is also having a problem with the 50/500 point scoring relays, is one of them getting stuck on? If so, then that would keep the switch open and prevent the targets from resetting during game play.

#7 9 years ago

Fixed the reset issue. Could one strand of wire touching a lug cause a short? I guess so.

Still have the scoring issue to resolve.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Fixed the reset issue. Could one strand of wire touching a lug cause a short? I guess so.

yup... give electricity a path, and it will follow...

#9 9 years ago

Thanks DirtFlipper (love the name),

The scoring issue is separate from the reset issue. I know this because I didn't have the reset problem until I started messing around trying to fix the scoring problem (fat fingers).

What i have now is that the 500pt relay is still pulling in when the 50pt relay is tripped, and if the 10x relay is energized, there is no scoring at all.

-W

#10 9 years ago

The drop target switches are those "make/make" style (i.e. they push two switches together). Maybe check to make sure none are touching closed when they ought not be. I can kinda see a path that would activate C when B is able to make.

#11 9 years ago

Thanks,

Already did.

#12 9 years ago

it also happens with the bullseye targets

#13 9 years ago

It's hopeless. I'll see you Thursday. Just think how happy the wife will be seeing one go out the door instead of in!
No, seriously; if you can't get it, I'll take a look at it Thursday. I work for beer.

#14 9 years ago

She'd rather see me go out the door!

#15 9 years ago

If you manually press in the switch ladder stack on the 50pt relay, then does the 500pt relay also engage with it?

If you manually press in the 500pt, then does the 50pt engage? (Or is it just the one combo?)

#16 9 years ago

Yes,

If I manually activate the 50pt relay, the 500 pulls in. Not the other way around.

#17 9 years ago

Interesting.

I'm looking at a Sky Jump schematic, so it's possibly different than Free Fall, but I see only two paths to C (500pt relay).

The main one to activate it goes through the scoring path: yellow target, 1 through 7 drop target switches, 1 through 7 rollover relay switches.

The other path is the lock-in path through a switch on C itself.

Since manually activating B alone also activates C, that seems to eliminate the scoring path.

So I'd check the lock-in switch on C itself next (including the back tabs).

#18 9 years ago

Thanks for the info.

I have checked all the switches on B & C, but will check again. I have a Freefall schematic coming soon.

#19 9 years ago

May as well check all the scoring paths switches too then.

Otherwise, could start blocking switches until C stops activating, to isolate.

#20 9 years ago

DirtFlipper,

I was mistaken earlier, the B relay does move when I manually hit the C relay. It pulls in just a bit and doesn't lock on, but it does move.

#21 9 years ago

I like the idea of isolating switches, except that the relay is not locked on. I also looked at them and didn't see any n.o. switches that were closed. I however, did not drop the reset bank to check those. (yet)

#22 9 years ago

jrpinball,

Is it Thursday yet?

#23 9 years ago

Here's the snippet from Sky Jump.

SJsnippet.jpgSJsnippet.jpg

I'd start by blocking the switch at score motor position 2B. Neither relay should lock on then. You may also want to remove the service plug on the score motor so it doesn't run all the time.

Triple check all the make/break switches on the 1 through 7 rollover relays also. If any of those end up closed/closed, then a path to activate C is made whenever B activates and the B lock-in switch closes. (This is testable by blocking the lock-in switch on B.)

#24 9 years ago

Great.

Thank You.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I work for beer.

Thirsty Thursday.....

Beer.gifBeer.gif

#26 9 years ago

Nice gif.

OK, problem fixed. It was a closed switch on one of the 1-7 rollover relays. Thank you.

Now on to the last issue. Nothing scores when 5000pts should be scored by hitting the drop targets. it score 50 and 500, but not 5000 when both the white and magenta lights are lit. It does score the 5000pts when the bank resets.

any thoughts on this? I'm gonaa have to send some beer to MSP soon! or maybe baked spaghetti at Tucci Benucch.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Nice gif.
OK, problem fixed. It was a closed switch on one of the 1-7 rollover relays. Thank you.

Yay!

Wait, there's more? Looking...

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Nothing scores when 5000pts should be scored by hitting the drop targets. it score 50 and 500, but not 5000 when both the white and magenta lights are lit. It does score the 5000pts when the bank resets.

Is 'D' activating?

That's the 10x value relay. It's activated via a normally closed switch at score motor position 1C, and the Multiplier Control unit wiper. I'd start with the score motor switch, but also make sure the copper braided wire is on the Multiplier unit wiper.

#29 9 years ago

Yes, D is activating

#30 9 years ago

OK, good. Is it staying locked on while the score motor runs?

The D and C relays both need to be active to close make/break switches on each of them, which activate the L relay five times (via pulsing a switch at score motor position 1A).

So could be either of the make/break switches on C or D (not closing, or are dirty). Or, one of them isn't staying locked on.

#31 9 years ago

also...multiplier unit wiper? I saw that on your schematic, but not in the game. That may be a difference between Free Fall and Sky Jump, or maybe I'm just blind.

#32 9 years ago

Should be a stepper unit. I don't recall offhand if it's under the playfield or on the score motor board. Don't think it's in the backbox.

Pics?

#33 9 years ago

C & D are staying locked on, both switches on 1A seem to be ok.

#34 9 years ago

Could be the jones plug from the playfield to the backbox too.

Presumably L isn't activating at all then, right?

There's just the 1A, C, and D switches, plus the jones plug in the path:
5000pt.jpg5000pt.jpg

#35 9 years ago

Thanks,

Yes, L is not activating. It does activate from the pop bumper relay. I did remove and replace the Jones plugs yesterday, I reset them again today, but will try again......brb...stay tuned!

Also, the only stepper I see is the ball count unit.

#36 9 years ago

Probably is a mini-stepper, not a big one like the ball count.

I'd also double check the C and D make/break switches. Visual inspection alone can be deceiving on those small switch stacks. Flexstone, gap check, meter.

#37 9 years ago

I don't see a mini stepper either. There is an A/S relay.

Either way, I'll go over the C switches again. if I manually hold B and D, it scores 500pts as it should, C & D however doesn't work.

Thanks for all of your help.

-W

#38 9 years ago

ok, getting there. I jumped the lugs on the N.O part of the make/break switch on C and it scores.

#39 9 years ago

Woohoo...Fixed!

re-re-re cleaned and re-re-re gapped the make/break switch on C....tenth time's the charm!

I still owe you Baked Spaghetti! I'll let you know the next time I get to MSP.

-Wayne

Don't worry Joe, there'll still be beer.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Picture?

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Woohoo...Fixed!
re-re-re cleaned and re-re-re gapped the make/break switch on C....tenth time's the charm!
I still owe you Baked Spaghetti! I'll let you know the next time I get to MSP.
-Wayne
Don't worry Joe, there'll still be beer.

Excellent, congrats! Those switch stacks can fool the eye. Good strong light helps sometimes.

#42 9 years ago

Thanks again for the help, You put almost as much time into this as I did.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Does the A/S relay look like the one shown here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/centigrade-37-help-having-some-trouble-1#post-644581

If so, that's a mini-stepper.

#44 9 years ago

Nope.

I don't see any steppers, FF must be wired differently that SJ

#45 9 years ago

What's your A/S relay look like then?

There has to be a way to move the light for the 1-7 targets.

Can you post some pictures of the underside playfield and bottom cab board?

#46 9 years ago

There is an alternating relay that moves the magenta lights. 1-4 and 4-7

#47 9 years ago

Oh, so they move as a set of four? Sky Jump has one lit at a time.

#48 9 years ago

Yes,

Much easier to beat once the 1-7 rollovers are made. Then when the ball drains and the target bank resets, you get a free ball as well, and you have to start over.

#49 9 years ago

comparable to the differences between El Dorado and Gold Strike

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

There is an alternating relay that moves the magenta lights. 1-4 and 4-7

Sorry, Already answered......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-freefalllots-of-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.