Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by bonzo71
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fliprelay1 (resized).JPG
    fliprelay2 (resized).JPG
    flipreel (resized).JPG
    #1 4 years ago

My Flip a Card is matching on the wrong #. For example the match digit might be 2 and the score ends 8 and I earn a match credit. Being upfront, I have to take the match unit apart to clean it because it was not stepping and the 100 point pop bumper was stuck on. I am not sure if it worked properly before cleaning up the match AS relay. I'm hoping someone has a some hints at which I should be looking at.

#2 4 years ago

If I remember my Flip a Card correctly the match unit is pulsed by 100 points scoring so if the 100 pop was stuck it would therefore keep the match unit stuck 'on' also. So are you getting consistently wrong matches, like 2 always matches only with an 8, etc.? Sure you didn't reassemble anything on the 1 point reel or match unit incorrectly? Are the wiper contacts centered on the disc traces of both units and not shorting across two of them at a time?

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

If I remember my Flip a Card correctly the match unit is pulsed by 100 points scoring so if the 100 pop was stuck it would therefore keep the match unit stuck 'on' also. So are you getting consistently wrong matches, like 2 always matches only with an 8, etc.? Sure you didn't reassemble anything on the 1 point reel or match unit incorrectly? Are the wiper contacts centered on the disc traces of both units and not shorting across two of them at a time?

The match unit is pulsed by the 100 point relay. The relay is advancing fine and the make break switch is opening and closing to alternate the state of the 100 point pop bumper. The wipers are centered on the disks of the match relay. I have not looked at the score reel yet. I'm going to look at this a bit more..

#4 4 years ago

Also check the 1 point score reel's match number wiper switch, the outer wiper should be pointing between '4' and '5'. Someone might have accidentally reinstalled it incorrectly. It can be placed in 5 different positions on the reel hub so if it's wrong, when you score a match the reel and match numbers will always be 'off' by a given number. Difficult to see how the match unit reassembly would have caused this since the wipers only install in one position.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

Also check the 1 point score reel's match number wiper switch, the outer wiper should be pointing between '4' and '5'. Someone might have accidentally reinstalled it incorrectly. It can be placed in 5 different positions on the reel hub so if it's wrong, when you score a match the reel and match numbers will always be 'off' by a given number. Difficult to see how the match unit reassembly would have caused this since the wipers only install in one position.

Common issue, somebody installed wiper wrong on reel

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Common issue, somebody installed wiper wrong on reel

Yea, and somethimes the machine will let you know with a nice puff of white smoke when it burns 2 holes into your PCB. That happened on my Target Alpha back in my newbee days.

#7 4 years ago

On the side of the match relay that controls the match lamps, should the # on the pcb match the match # lamp lit? For example, if the contacts on the pcb are on the #2 position, should the #2 lamp be lit? I'm asking because they are not. I pulled the reel and the match contacts are in the correct position.

#8 4 years ago

Update.. based on the schematic, none of the wires colors on the match relay match what I have. I've mapped my relay to the match # lamps and found the following:

relay position lamp
    3----------- 6
    4------------5
    5------------4
    6------------3
    7------------2
    8------------1
    9------------0
    0------------9
    1------------8
    2------------7

I ended a game on relay position 3 and score digit 6 and won a credit. I tried this with a couple other combinations from the chart and they also worked. How did this happen? I'm guessing it is a relay from a different game. Unless someone has another thought, I'm going to rewire the one side of the relay.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo71:

Update.. based on the schematic, none of the wires colors on the match relay match what I have. I've mapped my relay to the match # lamps and found the following:
    relay position lamp
    3----------- 6
    4------------5
    5------------4
    6------------3
    7------------2
    8------------1
    9------------0
    0------------9
    1------------8
    2------------7
    I ended a game on relay position 3 and score digit 6 and won a credit. I tried this with a couple other combinations from the chart and they also worked. How did this happen? I'm guessing it is a relay from a different game. Unless someone has another thought, I'm going to rewire the one side of the relay.

Before you do all that check to make sure the wiper on the 1 point reel is correct. The big end should be between the 9 and the 0. I highly doubt someone did all that you think they did.

Don't overthink problems and start with the simple stuff first.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Before you do all that check to make sure the wiper on the 1 point reel is correct. The big end should be between the 9 and the 0. I highly doubt someone did all that you think they did.
    Don't overthink problems and start with the simple stuff first.

I'll check it again. I hope you are right.

#11 4 years ago

The reel looks good.. big end between 9 and 0, small end pointing between 4 and 5. Any other ideas?

flipreel (resized).JPGflipreel (resized).JPG
    #12 4 years ago

Maybe the match unit it is indeed from another game, possibly used for a slightly different purpose like spinner lights or something since it uses the same plugs (?). Do you have a pic of the wires on it, I still have my old Flip a Card schematic and I'd like to see what you got in there. Pretty sure the match numbers are supposed to decrement when the unit advances so your chart looks ok for that but they are all offset by a given amount which makes me lean towards it is the wrong unit.

#13 4 years ago

Here are a couple photos. If this is the wrong relay, I'm lucky it works at all. Just a guess, but maybe the wiring is common on these units on the reel side. The plugs have the same number of inputs. If there are no more suggestions, I'm going to redo it tomorrow after work. This is the last thing wrong with the game and I need to get it out of my shop so I can move a game I have in unheated storage inside before the real cold weather really kicks in.

fliprelay1 (resized).JPGfliprelay1 (resized).JPGfliprelay2 (resized).JPGfliprelay2 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-flip-a-card-matches-on-wrong-number and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.