View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Fast Draw - Modification câblage relais AX (resized).png
Optimisation Substract Bonus Unit (resized).png
IMG_4324 (resized).JPG
Fast Draw Add Player (resized).jpg
IMG_4323 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

Sorry guys, but I'm at the hair pulling stage on this one. On my Fast Draw, the "subtract bonus unit" coil fires continuously on start up. The credit unit does decrement, but the score reels don't reset and the score motor doesn't stop running. I've checked and rechecked everything I can think of, but just haven't been able to figure this one out. The zero position switch on the bonus unit tests good. I had previously pulled the bottom panel and checked all the relay switches, including the score motor switches. I had also disassembled and cleaned the player unit, bonus unit, and coin unit steppers. I have checked and cleaned the 2 large jones plugs that run from the bottom panel to the playfield. The machine was - after all these steps - starting up and scoring, and sequencing thru players and balls properly. Then this problem popped up for no apparent reason.

I've attached a copy of the "subtract bonus unit" section of the schematic, with all the switches that I have checked. I have re-read Clay's guide, and read all the previous Pinside posts I could find related to bonus units, but am still stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_4323 (resized).JPGIMG_4323 (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

Add bits of paper to block the contacts on one switch in each leg of the Bonus Subtract solenoid circuit. That should tell you which switch(es) the pulses are coming through. I'd guess the AX relay switch would be the most likely culprit but it could be any of them.

/Mark

#3 3 years ago

Blocking individual switches on the relays and score motor switch stacks yields the following:
AX relay: the n/o contacts on the backside m/b switch will stop the bonus unit and score motor, the backside sw nearest the coil stop the bonus unit but the motor still runs, the no contacts on the frontside m/b switch will stop the bonus unit and score motor, the frontside sw nearest the coil stops the bonus unit and score motor
E: blocking each of the 4 switches did not stop the bonus unit
LB: the contacts are difficult to block, but they didn't stop the bonus unit
4B: blocking the lg contact stops the bonus unit
3-1/2D: no impact
2D: no impact
3B: no impact
4A: blocking the lg contact stops the bonus unit
2B: no impact

What next?

#4 3 years ago

Check if the AX relay is in the latched or unlatched position. I had almost the same problem on a Royal Flush. If the AX relay is not in the right position for startup, strange things will happen, and the game will not start.

#5 3 years ago

When I power up the machine and press the start button, the score motor turns and the bonus unit subtract coil fires continuously, but "nothing" else; the score reels do not reset. If I manually unlatch the AX relay, the score motor and bonus unit subtract coil stop firing. If I manually step the player unit to the "player 1, ball 1" position, the score reels will also reset. BUT this behavior won't carry over to the next game; in other words, I have to manually unlatch the AX relay and step up the player unit to the proper position before it will actually start a game.

#6 3 years ago

From the schematic, you can see that as long as the AX Reset Relay is tripped, the bonus unit will fire 5 times per cycle regardless if it is at the "0" position or not. This is kind of a flaw with Fast Draw & Quick Draw - they should have put a "0" position switch in the reset circuit because 99 times out of a 100, the bonus unit is at "0" at the beginning of a game (because it counted down to "0" from the previous game). So the bonus unit pounds away needlessly about 50 times at every game start. I say it is a flaw, but they probably did it on purpose to save a few bucks on a switch and a few feet of wire. So, anyway the bonus unit is not your problem (it is acting normally) - you need to figure out why the score reels aren't resetting.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from spclwhenlit:

Blocking individual switches on the relays and score motor switch stacks yields the following:

If you follow the wire colors on the schematic you only need to block one switch on each relay. Without knowing which switches you blocked on a given relay it's hard to say what the results mean.

Quoted from spclwhenlit:

If I manually step the player unit to the "player 1, ball 1" position, the score reels will also reset.

That's a key piece of information.

Quoted from sudsy7:

This is kind of a flaw with Fast Draw & Quick Draw - they should have put a "0" position switch in the reset circuit because 99 times out of a 100, the bonus unit is at "0" at the beginning of a game (because it counted down to "0" from the previous game). So the bonus unit pounds away needlessly about 50 times at every game start.

Now things makes more sense. Your Bonus Count isn't the problem it's the symptom.

If your Player Unit isn't advancing as it should during reset you'll never reset the score reels, or stop counting down the bonus or start a new game. The score reels for example don't start clearing until Player Unit positions 20 and 21 when the Z1 and Z2 relays fire.
Fast Draw Add Player (resized).jpgFast Draw Add Player (resized).jpg
You need to figure out why the Player Unit advance solenoid isn't firing. I'd start with the two switches in red but it could one of several others.

#8 3 years ago

You guys were on it. One set of contacts on a player one score reel was barely open. After adjusting that switch, on start up the score reels would then reset, and the bonus subtract coil would ultimately stop firing. In the attached picture, the misadjusted set of contacts is on the backside of the switch nearest the score reel’s frame (on the right side in picture). Note this picture was taken after adjustment.

This was a deceptive problem (at least to me). I did not realize that by design that bonus subtract coil fires until after the score reels reset, even in the zero bonus position, so I assumed the problem was associated with something in circuit with that coil, but unrelated to the score reels. So maybe the lesson here is that if there are ANY score reel issues they should be fixed before moving on to anything else? It could have saved me an awful lot of time troubleshooting relays and the score motor! Thanks for the suggestions!

IMG_4324 (resized).JPGIMG_4324 (resized).JPG
#9 3 years ago

The unnecessary beat down on the bonus unit (usually the coil stop needs replacement and/or the plunger is shroomed because of this) can be "fixed" by putting a piece of tape across the AX switch contact with the Blue-Orange wire (or bending the blade slightly so it doesn't close when the AX relay is tripped). That's the easy way, and the only time it would ever make a difference is if you ever shut off the game when the Bonus Unit wasn't at zero (which is almost never), and even then, it would resolve itself after you play the first ball on a new game.

Or you could really do it right, and put a new "Open at Zero" switch on the Bonus Unit and wire it to the AX switch.

#10 3 years ago

Does it still step down on a tilt?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Does it still step down on a tilt?

Sure it does. All EMs do that, but you don't score any points of course. The subtract bonus circuit we are talking about in this thread is only active when the game resets (AX relay is tripped), so it does not take away any functionality of the game if you disable it.

2 weeks later
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from spclwhenlit:

You guys were on it. One set of contacts on a player one score reel was barely open. After adjusting that switch, on start up the score reels would then reset, and the bonus subtract coil would ultimately stop firing.

So it sounds like you were trying to start games with the reels already at zero? And that one reel's zero switch being overgapped was preventing the reset sequence from completing. Because otherwise I can't see why that one zero switch would prevent any reels (including that one) from resetting if they were not at zero already. (?)

1 month later
#13 3 years ago

Hi,

On the Fast Draw, It's a pity the Bonus unit runs down every time you start a play, even if it's still at its zero position.

Tired with this noisy problem ? : you just have to isolate (or twist) the AX switch rounded in red in my schematic joined. It's the upper left switch on the AX relay. I unsoldered the wire (see picture) and now it's a pleasure to play without noise and Bonus Unit stress....

Sorry, if the text is in French, but it could help you...

This switch seems useless. The game runs without problem without this switch !!!!

If a retired Gottlieb engineer could tell me the goal of this "noisy" switch, I would be very very happy !!!!!!

Many thanks for your replies,

Best regards,

Daniel,

Fast Draw - Modification câblage relais AX (resized).pngFast Draw - Modification câblage relais AX (resized).pngOptimisation Substract Bonus Unit (resized).pngOptimisation Substract Bonus Unit (resized).png
#14 3 years ago
Quoted from RovDan:

the AX switch rounded in red in my schematic

Quoted from RovDan:

tell me the goal of this "noisy" switch

That switch resets the Bonus unit when you start a new game.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

That switch resets the Bonus unit when you start a new game.

Sorry, but the study of the schematic shows the Bonus Unit Reset uses rather the "E relay" switch. Moreover, when you isolate the AX relay switch, the bonus count (X1, x2 and x3) works fine, even after switching the machine ON.

You can see under the whole study of the electric part of my Fast Draw. Sorry, it's in french.
https://www.retro-flip.com/f65-ETUDE-ELECTRIQUE-DETAILLEE-D-UN-FLIPPER-DES-ANNEES-70.htm

This switch is isolated on my game and it's play like before... without the boring reset noise !

Maybe a case I didn't see. What's the need of this AX switch : that is the question !

Best regards,

Daniel

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from RovDan:

Maybe a case I didn't see. What's the need of this AX switch : that is the question !

Have you read through this topic? The purpose of this switch has already been discussed and isolation of the AX switch has been covered as well. The purpose is to reset the bonus unit at the start of a game - look at the schematic! If you don't believe it, start a new game with the bonus unit not at zero and you will see that the bonus unit will not reset (if you have the AX switch isolated).

Added over 4 years ago:

My apologies - upon closer review of the schematic, you are absolutely correct that the bonus unit will reset itself from a non-zero state via relay E when the machine is turned on. So, now I really don't what the purpose of the AX switch in that circuit is, except to make noise during game resets. It is a good question!

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Have you read through this topic? The purpose of this switch has already been discussed and isolation of the AX switch has been covered as well. The purpose is to reset the bonus unit at the start of a game - look at the schematic! If you don't believe it, start a new game with the bonus unit not at zero and you will see that the bonus unit will not reset (if you have the AX switch isolated).

Yes for sure, but I have never seen the bonus unit of my Fast Draw in another position than "0" at the beginning of a game (apart from TILT for the last ball).

I preferred to isolate the AX switch, the bonus unit no longer pound away needlessly at every game start, and the pinball is much less noise, now !

#18 3 years ago

Even if you tilt on the last ball, the bonus unit will reset itself before the machine goes to Game Over.

8 months later
#19 2 years ago
Quoted from RovDan:

Hi,
On the Fast Draw, It's a pity the Bonus unit runs down every time you start a play, even if it's still at its zero position.
Tired with this noisy problem ? : you just have to isolate (or twist) the AX switch rounded in red in my schematic joined. It's the upper left switch on the AX relay. I unsoldered the wire (see picture) and now it's a pleasure to play without noise and Bonus Unit stress....
Sorry, if the text is in French, but it could help you...
This switch seems useless. The game runs without problem without this switch !!!!
If a retired Gottlieb engineer could tell me the goal of this "noisy" switch, I would be very very happy !!!!!!
Many thanks for your replies,
Best regards,
Daniel,
[quoted image][quoted image]

After putting a customer's shopped playfield, mech panel, and backbox together for his fast draw... started a game and noticed straight away about 50 hits on the bonus reset waiting for AX to reset at P5A... it really is a head scratcher why those boys at Gottlieb blew a gasket on this one... no wonder there was so much wear on that coil stop and plunger!! switch is now wide open to avoid all this hammering.

#20 2 years ago

Here's the reset sequence from the Fast Draw manual. Exactly how far is does it get?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 year later
#21 1 year ago

I tried the AX switch disablement trick to stop the excessive bonus unit decrements but it seemed a little too good to be true.

If you have bonus accumulated with a ball in play and then press the credit button to restart a new game right in the middle of it (before the ball drains), it will NOT start resetting the bonus until the ball is in the outhole. *IF* the rest of the game has finished resetting when the ball does go in the outhole, wherever the bonus is sitting at when it does will be awarded for your first ball before it is even served. So for example if you are set to 3 ball and you are on ball 3 with 15K accumulated and have completed ABC for 3X, you could potentially get 45K on your first ball of the new game before you even shoot it!

If the ball landed in the outhole *while* the game has already begun resetting (player unit and score reels), you would get less than that since the bonus unit will have decremented some during the reset. When player unit and reels have completed resetting, you will receive free bonus for whereever the bonus unit ended up at that point. So you might not get any 'free' bonus at all depending on the timing or if you don't have very much bonus accumulated or no multiplier lit.

So this switch is far from pointless even if Gottlieb could have executed it a better way with another zero switch. You don't want players resetting a game in the middle and getting free points. You could even use it to cheat if the last ball went out an outlane with a huge bonus and 2X/3X, but you had already rolled the game over and could see that getting that final bonus would not get you an additional replay. So you 'cash it in' (at least SOME of it) on the next game by quickly hitting the reset button and give yourself a free headstart points-wise. Of course you can only do the trick if you have a credit on the meter already.

**Note - I believe the X multiplier would be reset immediately at game restart if you didn't also do the related 'eliminate targets unnecessarily resetting on start button' switch mod, in that case you would only get the free bonus but without the multiplier. I had both mods in effect for these tests.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-fast-draw-bonus-stepper-runs-continuously and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.