• Latest reply 9 years ago by copo69
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1419820591511-2102415535.jpg

#1 9 years ago

GTB Car Hop no longer starts game when button is depressed. Was working fine when last played a couple of weeks ago. Game is set to free play (as it has been for many years). Game functions in attract mode but will not start an actual game. Owner stated that last Winter when the temp in his game room was 60-65, the game would sometimes not start, but when the game warmed-up after being turned on for a few minutes, it started as normal. Not sure if this is related but felt it was worth mentioning. Ran game thru test mode, but couldn't find the problem. Any ideas?

Same buddy has a GTB Silver Slugger that he replaced a flipper coil on last week and now it will not start the game. When the start button is depressed, the game sounds start and display shows "ball 1", but the solenoids do not eject the ball from the ball trough to the shooter lane and no power to the anything on playfield. I looked at his flipper coil install and it looks fine. Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as these games belong to a buddy who I am trying to help get them running again.

#2 9 years ago

Silly question, but on my slugger, this will happen if I leave a ball in the shooter lane. So, did he put all three balls back in the game? If it says play ball, but nothing happens, thats the first thing I would check. Second would be the ball trough.

#3 9 years ago

There was no ball in the shooter lane. All three are at the ball trough. I checked the micro switch and adjusted the trip wire but it didn't correct the problem. It shows "ball 1" on the display and says "play ball", but does not kick the ball toward the ball trough. I manually forced the ball into the shooter lane, but it still wouldn't power the flippers or anything on the play field.

#4 9 years ago

Does the outhole kicker fire in test?

#5 9 years ago

No, it did not fire.

#6 9 years ago

I am by no means an expert, but I am trying to replicate your situation with no avail. The only time I can simulate it is if there are not three balls in the trough. I originally meant the ball release coil, so let's test that too. Any switches register during switch test? My game functions, and here is a pic.of the area for you to compare. I would try manually removing a ball, starting a game, and let it drain to see if it kicks to the trough.1419820591511-2102415535.jpg1419820591511-2102415535.jpg

#7 9 years ago

I will test that coil, but when I did the test earlier today, I did not see either of the ball trough coils "fire". The switch that you show is where I had to bend the trip wire back to it's proper shape. It had been bent and was actually stuck in the trough. The game is at a buddy's house which is 45 minutes from my house, so it will be sometime later this week before I can examine the machine again. My posting here is an effort to give me a list of possible problem areas to check the next time I'm at the game. I really appreciate your help! The odd thing is that there wasn't a problem until he raised the play field and soldered the new left flipper coil. Coincidence or related? Thanks.

#8 9 years ago

I personally don't believe in coincidences. If he lifted the playfield with the balls in it, it's possible something happened to throw the trough switch off. If the third ball on it doesn't trigger that switch, the game will never start. I have had a similar issue before, where that switch is just off enough that the ball rests on it but doesn't trigger, the game doesn't "know" it's there. The outhole kicker and the ball release not firing in test is cause for concern. It's not out of my realm to test and fix, but it's above my pay grade to tell someone how to fix it. I'll be happy to help any way I can though.

#9 9 years ago

A game taking time to warm up, like car hop is, smells of a capacitor issue. Hopefully we can keep this thread bumped to the top until someone more versed in that area can comment.

2 weeks later
#10 9 years ago

Got Silver Slugger working. What capacitor could it be and how do I test it in Car Hop?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 26.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
BomberMods
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-car-hop-silver-slugger-wont-start-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.