• 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by SarverSystems
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 days ago

Hey guys,

Working on a Gottlieb Black Hole.

As soon as the machine is turned on and booted, the ball gate opens and closes every 2 seconds or so. This happens only attract mode. In game mode, it acts normal.

I do have the bottom playfield disconnected for now, but I can't imagine thats the cause.

#2 9 days ago

That's normal behavior

#3 9 days ago

Is there a ROM update, or some other way to stop it? Super annoying, and I cant imagine that wear and tear is doing the machine any good.

#4 9 days ago
Quoted from SarverSystems:

Is there a ROM update, or some other way to stop it? Super annoying, and I cant imagine that wear and tear is doing the machine any good.

Yes I believe there is. An EE buddy of mine restored his and got it to not do that in attract mode. I'll ask him what he did and report back.

Dave
pinballdoctor.com

#5 9 days ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Yes I believe there is. An EE buddy of mine restored his and got it to not do that in attract mode. I'll ask him what he did and report back.
Dave
pinballdoctor.com

I believe Pascal's PIX80 all in one board has the option to turn that off in attract mode.
But reach out to him to be sure.
https://www.flippp.fr/index.php?lg=en

#6 9 days ago

I think I've seen a mod somewhere that disables the gate in attract mode by tapping somehow onto the Game Over relay. Might be on a Black Hole fan site but can't remember.

#7 9 days ago

DRDVAE: Thanks, I just emailed him.
QUENCH: Thanks, I will look into that for sure. If you happen to find the info, please forward it to me and I'll update pinwiki.

#8 9 days ago

DRDVAE: Thanks, I just emailed him.
QUENCH: Thanks, I will look into that for sure. If you happen to find the info, please forward it to me and I'll update pinwiki.

If you would post back here with your findings.....be interested in knowing!

#9 9 days ago

And whats so strange is, it seems that hardly anybody else has complained about it online, or noticed, or cared to report on it.

Also, why would Gottlieb even want this to occur in the first place?

#10 9 days ago

Doesn't bother me at all

#11 9 days ago

It does bug me a little. If there is a simple way to turn it off like just adding a wire or something like that without a whole new board I’d do it and hope it is posted here.
However, I just remembered that in attract a relay also turns the lower pf GI lights on and off. I wouldn’t want to lose that, and that relay click is louder than the gate. Hmm maybe I’ll just leave it alone.

#12 7 days ago

Try putting dip switch 30 (attract mode features) to "Off" on the MPU board - it should disable the gate opening and closing in attract mode. However it also disables the feature lamp animation.

#13 7 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Try putting dip switch 30 (attract mode features) to "Off" on the MPU board - it should disable the gate opening and closing in attract mode. However it also disables the feature lamp animation.

That will probably work, but probably isnt a viable option for the client.

I'm going to dig in and take a look at the schematics to see about tapping into the game over relay to kill it when a game isn't being played. Electrically, I see how easy it is to perform. But I need to look at the relay itself to see if there are empty terminals to use, or if I can more, etc...

#14 7 days ago

That will probably work, but probably isnt a viable option for the client.
I'm going to dig in and take a look at the schematics to see about tapping into the game over relay to kill it when a game isn't being played. Electrically, I see how easy it is to perform. But I need to look at the relay itself to see if there are empty terminals to use, or if I can more, etc...

There should be at least one spot open on the game over relay as a popular mod for the game was to add a switch for the backbox animation motor so it wasn't turning in attract mode to save the motor. You can always add a relay to the relay, as it were, if you were so inclined as well.

#15 7 days ago

That might be a good idea for the motor as well as the clackity clack of the ball gate opening and closing.

#16 6 days ago

Also, why would Gottlieb even want this to occur in the first place?

I think they did not want that, but they forgot that the gate is driven by a lamp driver, and while the attract mode cycles all playfield lamps, also the gate will operate.

#17 1 day ago

Stay tuned for a pinwiki update on how to fix this mistake.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Greenwich, RI
€ 8.40
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Warrenton, VA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 17.99
Playfield - Decals
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside