• Latest reply 1 year ago by Bortino
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Goldstrike credit swtich (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

The Bank Shot at the Delaware Pinball collective will not start a new game. Does anyone have the start up sequence that they can share? I've looked at the game once and saw nothing obvious.

#2 1 year ago

Hope this helps you.
The below information is from the pinball repair site:

Starting in the early 1970's, "operation manuals" became available from EM game manufacturers. These manuals outline a "start-up sequence". This is the sequence of events that happens after you press the game's start button. If your EM game doesn't start up properly, this sequence of events can help determine the problem.
The start-up sequence is game specific, but generally can be applied to most games. This is helpful especially on older EM's where there is no operation manual.

The following start-up sequences were outlined from mid-1970's games. They may not apply to the game you're fixing. But they will give you a general idea of what an EM game does when you press the start button.
1970s Gottlieb Start-Up Sequence.
Games with score reels.

Inserting a coin or pressing the coin door start button (Gottlieb calls this the "replay" button) activates the "S" (start) relay. The start relay will lock on from its own switch and a score motor switch.
The "S" relay will energize the main hold relay to illuminate the game (if this is the first game after power-on).
The "S" relay will start the score motor running.
The "S" relay and the score motor increment the total play meter.
The "SB" relay (the secondary start relay) is activated through the score motor. The "SB" relay energizes the reset relays ("Z1" and "Z2"). If a single or two player game, there may be only a "Z" relay.
The "Z2" relay will reset the player 3 and 4 score reels to zero through the score relays (4 player games only). The "Z1" or "Z" relay will reset the player 1 (and player 2 if present) score reels to zero through the score relays.
The "SB" relay resets the player unit through the score motor.
The "U" relay resets the reset bank (or Ax, Bx, relays on 1975 and later multi-player games and Ax on single players) through the score motor. It also resets the bonus unit or drop target banks (if the game has these).
On multi-player games, inserting more coins or pressing the coin door start button activates the "PBx" relay, through the score motor. The "x" represents the player number (from two to four).
If the ball is in the outhole, the "O" relay activates. The "O" relay, through the score motor and a switch on relay "XB", will kick the ball to the shooter lane. Note: the "O" relay will not activate unless the bonus unit (if the game has one) is reset to zero (there is a bonus unit zero position switch).
When the ball re-enters the outhole after game play, the "P" relay kicks the ball back to the shooter lane. Switches on the "XB", "ZB", "P" relays and some score motor switches advances the player unit (if present) and player relays ("PBx").

#3 1 year ago

I can tell that hitting the start button or activating the coin switch on the door does nothing..no start relay or score motor. Maually activating the start relay does not start the score motor or turn on the playfield lights. This is an add a ball game, so i am unsure how this impacts startup. If i manually start the score motor, it will finish its 1/3 revolution.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

I can tell that hitting the start button or activating the coin switch on the door does nothing.

Here's the circuit from Gold Strike. It might be similar to Bank Shot. You'll have to consult your schematic.
Goldstrike credit swtich (resized).jpgGoldstrike credit swtich (resized).jpg
If neither the Credit Button nor the Coin Chute switches are working I'd investigate the two Score Motor switches to the right along with the Anit Cheat switch. Since your Score Motor can run the Bounce switch and fuse are probably good.

/Mark

#5 1 year ago

Closing the slam switch on the door fixed the issue..thanks again!!

#6 1 year ago

For future Pinside searchers: I was frustrated not to find a reliable description of the add-a-ball startup sequence (especially in light of the WOW feature, which turned out to be relatively straightforward once I worked through it) and here is how it operates on Bank Shot:

1. Inserting a coin activates the Start relay (S) via the 1-coin-1-play option.*
2. S activates the Tilt Hold relay (H) to power the playfield. (Tilting the machine will deactivate H.)
3. S activates the Hold relay (R) to power the backbox. (Slamming the machine will deactivate R.)
4. S activates the Reset Completed relay (AX) to latch on.
5. S starts the motor turning.
6. S and Motor resets the relay bank, then S deactivates.
7. AX keeps the motor turning.
8. AX and Motor resets the score reels to zero.
9. AX and Motor decrements the Lightbox Advance unit (WOW) to its lowest (zero) position.
10. AX and Motor increments the Ball Count unit (BCU) to its highest position (six).**
11. AX trips off after these resets are completed (via Motor, BCU position-six, WOW position-zero, and all score reels position-zero), restoring power to the outhole and stopping the motor.
12. The ball resting in the outhole has closed the Ball Return switch, which activates the Bonus Score relay (Q).
13. Q activates the Motor so the bonus unit will increment to its highest position (fifteen), activate the Ball Return relay (O) via a stepper switch at fifteen, and then reset to the zero position.
14. O kicks the ball out to the shooter lane, closing the Trough switch along the way.
15. The Trough switch decrements the Ball Count unit from position six to position five, lighting Ball "5” in the backglass. The game is now ready to play.

*If set for 1-coin-2-plays, the coin switch instead activates the Two Play relay (X) which activates S. Note it also activates Credit Hold (Y) which will hold itself on, lighting the apron and enabling the Start button. Therefore, if Y is energized, pressing the Start button can also activate the S relay. (Based on this, I chose to set free play by bending one switch in the Y stack so that the Start button works but the Y relay is not continuously on.)

**If set for three-ball, the relay CX will now activate, and the unit will decrement two steps before deactivating CX in order to start you at 3 balls.

*** Every time the ball drains to the outhole, you can expect steps 12 to 15 to repeat.

This is an oversimplification in order to highlight the critical path in Bank Shot & maybe someday I’ll document the motor switch IDs.

#7 1 year ago

AndrewP, Thanks for the detailed startup description. Ill suggest a print copy be kept in the game.

#8 1 year ago

Mr. Pinball lists a number of specific 1970s Gottlieb startup sequences
http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/emTips.html

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-bank-shot-start-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.