IMG_1022 (resized).JPG
6C68B0B9-9D16-48C6-9AD8-1B67803E6DEB (resized).jpeg
PowerBoard (resized).JPG
BottomBoard (resized).JPG
DD1C2130-2975-40F9-A4D5-FF1A229484AA (resized).jpeg
6DF8FA5F-8EDF-474D-A122-995D3295D45C (resized).jpeg
0BBAB38A-4ECC-42A4-8230-35ED10F72C26 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

My F7 1/4A fuse keeps blowing when machine is turned on. So, I unplugged all displays and starting plugging one in at a time. P3 and P4 displays seem okay and completely light up without blowing. Neither the credit display, P1 or P2 displays light up at all. And the F7 fuse only seems to blow when all displays are connected. I am running out of 1/4 amp fuses so I didn't leave the power on for very long, its possible if left longer it may have blown with only P1 (not lit), P3 (lit) and P4 (lit) connected.

I am not sure how to begin diagnosing this, I have tested with a DMM the power supply diodes cr1-4 and cr7 and they seem okay. Any ideas where I can begin?

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

#3 6 years ago

I noticed the two displays that don’t work look different than the two that do (they have less resistors is that normal?)

I also noticed there are LED lights on the voltage regulator for +5v and +12v that are not lit up. I have read about DMM to test power going to the vreg but it i am not 100% clear on the procedure, can anyone guide me?

Thanks

0BBAB38A-4ECC-42A4-8230-35ED10F72C26 (resized).jpeg0BBAB38A-4ECC-42A4-8230-35ED10F72C26 (resized).jpeg

6DF8FA5F-8EDF-474D-A122-995D3295D45C (resized).jpeg6DF8FA5F-8EDF-474D-A122-995D3295D45C (resized).jpeg

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Batcade:

I noticed the two displays that don’t work look different than the two that do (they have less resistors is that normal?)

Two different circuit boards...you may want to google the two different part numbers to see if there are specs on them, or other posts on them. Numbers look like they are on bottom left "PB...."

If two displays are not the original parts then combined they may draw more power than the originals and are blowing the fuse... not likely though if you've had them for a while.... probably something went on one of them.

If both seem to be affected at the same time then I'd also look at the schematic to see how the wiring runs and if those two share a common path or wire... could be a short in wiring connecting them both. If more than one thing is busted at the same time look for what's common to both.

#5 6 years ago

This pin is new to me, I have never successfully got it to boot yet. Now that I have realized the 5v and 12v dc lights aren’t even lighting I would like to diagnose that first, I am not sure where to place the DMM

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Batcade:

This pin is new to me, I have never successfully got it to boot yet. Now that I have realized the 5v and 12v dc lights aren’t even lighting I would like to diagnose that first, I am not sure where to place the DMM

Ah! Different story. Find out if the displays are even compatible with that game and what the pinout signals are for each.

I'd disconnect all connectors... see if it powers up without blowing fuse. Check resistances on each board from each power supply pin to ground (if there's more than one voltage applied to one board) to see that nothing is shorted to ground.

Do you have schematics for your game?

#7 6 years ago

I'm assuming if the keys on the connector fit and you can plug in the cards that they should be compatible. Can't find much online against the two different board numbers. I'm out of town but will check which ones I have in my Spider-Man .

Use dvm to see if there is a short from any power supply pin on the display cards to ground. Does the fuse blow right away with the two questionable displays connected or just after they've been on for a while ?

#8 6 years ago

Well since I realized the lights on the voltage regulator sent lighting up I kind of backtracked and figured I should figure that out first because even if I find out why the two displays don’t work I’m still not getting the 5v and 12v lights lit up.

All displays unplugged = no blow.
It only blows when all 4 displays are hooked up.
Regardless, two out of the 4 displays (the ones with less resistors and chips) don’t light even if I move them to the other positions that were lighting.

And I think I need to figure out why the VREG isn’t getting proper power first, I just don’t know where to put the DMM test points to get readings without electrocuting myself

#9 6 years ago

Also, I case anyone recognizes this issue, the displays come on immediately on power up like this, I thought I saw a thread with this issue before but can’t find it now.

DD1C2130-2975-40F9-A4D5-FF1A229484AA (resized).jpegDD1C2130-2975-40F9-A4D5-FF1A229484AA (resized).jpeg

#10 6 years ago

Do you have schematics? Hard to debug without schematics.

#12 6 years ago

remember you can swap the 6 digit ones around ... swapping 3 with 1 might be a good idea.

replacing the orange capacitors ( 1uf 100v from memory - gpe sells them). *might* get the shorted ones working again

#13 6 years ago

For reference my displays are three of PB00-D140-001's and one PB00-D140-021. None of them have the extra components on your -011 cards. I expect they are compatible though if the connector keys fit and permit you to connect them. If blowing fuse they could either have shorts on them or just draw more current than other variants and be blowing the 1/4 amp limit by a bit.

#14 6 years ago

The 12v supply from the bottom board generates the 5v supply on the power board. The 12V LED is right across the inputs, so if it's out it's either blown or you're not getting 12v from the transformers on the bottom board to the power board.

Check the fuse on the 12v supply on the bottom board, and whether you're getting 12V AC from the transformers into the big diode bridge components and 12V DC out of the diode bridges.

The displays also get 60V DC ... since they are on for two of your displays that supply should be ok.

I found my PDF of the AS manual if you need a copy of schematics.

#15 6 years ago

Looking at schematics more... the displays don't receive any 5v DC power.

They get 60v DC from the power supply board (small display only 42v DC) and 5v AC not DC and it's directly from the bottom board transformers (small display only 3V AC).

If your 12V DC and 5V DC aren't working then that's affecting power to the control board, which provides the data to the displays ... D1-D16 and a-g segment bits.

If you're really not getting 5v to your electronics then nothing is really working... mpu control board, driver boards, sound card... all run off 5V DC, so all dead until you get that supply up.

#16 6 years ago

Afterthought... when you are checking the 12V AC and DC on the bottom board, disconnect J1 from the power board.

I thought I had blown the large diode bridge because my 12V wasn't there... waited for months to get parts from China, only to find out when I replaced it that the problem wasn't fixed. The diode bridge wasn't bad, it was on my power board which pulled down the voltage and made me think the diode bridge was shot. If I had disconnected J1 from the power board I would have seen that all my AC and DC voltages were ok on the bottom board.

Also recommend you disconnect the big blue cap C1 before checking voltages. If it's shorted it would drag down your 12V supply as well.

#17 6 years ago

Thanks for the info, I guess what I am really need to know is where to put the DMM probes to test the power A2 board to see if correct voltage is getting there.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Batcade:

Thanks for the info, I guess what I am really need to know is where to put the DMM probes to test the power A2 board to see if correct voltage is getting there.

The schematics show "TP" or Test Points on the circuit board. When you look at the power board you should be able to find these, typically as either wire loops (for if you have clip on DMM probes), or in my case for Spiderman, little posts. They are clearly marked on the circuit board as well, indicating which voltage is at that test point.

Connect the "Common" probe of your DMM to the Ground Test Point, and the other probe to the test point.
Ensure you have the correct setting on your DMM, AC voltage or DC voltage, and a level that is the next one higher than the voltage you are testing (ie. setting 20V DC for signals that are 5V and 12V.... or setting 100V for signals that are 24V, 48V, 60V...)

When you are on the bottom board in the pinball box, there are no "Test Points", but everything is pretty clearly labeled (like on the fuses, and around the diode bridges), that you can use as test points. On the bottom board, there is a long strip of metal with lots of green wires attached to it... that is one of your main Ground connections. If you're probes don't have clips, it would be a good investment to buy a pack of wires with alligator clips on them. Put a clip on your Common probe, and clip the other end to a ground point. Then you only need to probe around with one, instead of trying to hold two probes on two places.

I expect you will quickly find that you have no 12V on that board, since the 12V and 5V LED's are off. Then you will need to probe in the bottom of the pinball machine where the transformers and fuses are to see if that's all working.

Apologies if I'm being too simple in my directions... not sure what level of experience you have, but since you're asking about where to put the probes, I'm assuming it's limited. Just let me know if I don't need to be that detailed for you and what you already know how to do.

Again, you'll have a hard time figuring things out if you don't have a wiring schematic. Let me know if you have them from a copy of the manual, or if you want me to send you a copy to print off.

Happy New Year!

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

The schematics show "TP" or Test Points on the circuit board. When you look at the power board you should be able to find these, typically as either wire loops (for if you have clip on DMM probes), or in my case for Spiderman, little posts. They are clearly marked on the circuit board as well, indicating which voltage is at that test point.
Connect the "Common" probe of your DMM to the Ground Test Point, and the other probe to the test point.
Ensure you have the correct setting on your DMM, AC voltage or DC voltage, and a level that is the next one higher than the voltage you are testing (ie. setting 20V DC for signals that are 5V and 12V.... or setting 100V for signals that are 24V, 48V, 60V...)
When you are on the bottom board in the pinball box, there are no "Test Points", but everything is pretty clearly labeled (like on the fuses, and around the diode bridges), that you can use as test points. On the bottom board, there is a long strip of metal with lots of green wires attached to it... that is one of your main Ground connections. If you're probes don't have clips, it would be a good investment to buy a pack of wires with alligator clips on them. Put a clip on your Common probe, and clip the other end to a ground point. Then you only need to probe around with one, instead of trying to hold two probes on two places.
I expect you will quickly find that you have no 12V on that board, since the 12V and 5V LED's are off. Then you will need to probe in the bottom of the pinball machine where the transformers and fuses are to see if that's all working.
Apologies if I'm being too simple in my directions... not sure what level of experience you have, but since you're asking about where to put the probes, I'm assuming it's limited. Just let me know if I don't need to be that detailed for you and what you already know how to do.
Again, you'll have a hard time figuring things out if you don't have a wiring schematic. Let me know if you have them from a copy of the manual, or if you want me to send you a copy to print off.
Happy New Year!

Great thanks! Yes my experience is pretty limitedthis helps me get started. I read somewhere that someone was suggesting to test the actual AC (the 2 pins on the J1 connector) and AC concerns me a little I’ve never worked with high voltage but I have been thinking the alligator clips might make things a bit easier or safer.

Happy New Year to you too!
I do have schematics by the way, but just wasn’t sure on how to use the DMM safely.

I’m assuming these test point measurements have to be done with power on?

#20 6 years ago

Also, I case anyone recognizes this issue, the displays come on immediately on power up like this, I thought I saw a thread with this issue before but can’t find it now.

I don’t think that’s my issue, slam tilt symptoms are outside displays lit and revolving, mine are solid lit and have both outside and inside lines lit.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Batcade:

I don’t think that’s my issue, slam tilt symptoms are outside displays lit and revolving, mine are solid lit and have both outside and inside lines lit.

If you really don't have any power to your D and a-g signals that control the displays then you could have anything on your displays. If it was a slam switch thing then the control board would need to tell the displays to turn on that specific way, and right now it's not likely that it can do that.

Power first...

#22 6 years ago

I suspect that since you have two different board types they are just responding to the lack of control signals differently... one all blank and the other all on or rando.

#23 6 years ago

Bottom Board Schematic and photo.
Power down before disconnecting or connecting any connectors.

Disconnect the Power Supply board (J1 on the Power board) before testing the 12V DC levels on the bottom board, in case the power supply board is affecting them.
Disconnect your displays, and check your 5VAC and 3VAC levels on the bottom board too... they go directly to the Displays... not through the power board.

Power down. Reconnect J1 and the Displays then power up and see if the 12V DC, 5VAC and 3VAC are still OK. Since two of your displays are on, you shouldn't have any issues with the 5VAC and 3VAC.

BottomBoard (resized).JPGBottomBoard (resized).JPG

#24 6 years ago

Powerboard Schematic of Test Points and Photo. Connect your DMM Common to TP3 (Ground).
Note that TP1 and TP2 are AC... use AC V on your DMM
Note that TP4 and TP5 are DC... use DC V on your DMM
Disconnect J2 and J3 (Displays and other boards) before testing the voltages on this board (in case the other boards are pulling down the voltages)
Then connect them back up to see if it affects the voltage levels.

PowerBoard (resized).JPGPowerBoard (resized).JPG

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

Powerboard Schematic of Test Points and Photo. Connect your DMM Common to TP3 (Ground).
Note that TP1 and TP2 are AC... use AC V on your DMM
Note that TP4 and TP5 are DC... use DC V on your DMM
Disconnect J2 and J3 (Displays and other boards) before testing the voltages on this board (in case the other boards are pulling down the voltages)
Then connect them back up to see if it affects the voltage levels.

Sweeet! That’s what I need! Going to pickup some alligator clips tomorrow then I can do some testing. Thank you very much for the detailed information!

#26 6 years ago

Be careful testing voltage levels around the fuses that you don't short adjacent fuses. Once I wasn't paying attention and accidentally slipped and touched my probe across two adjacent fuse leads, and fried some components on my power supply board. If I remember correctly, I think I connected the 24V to the 12V lines (B and D adjacent fuses in first diagram). Anyway... just don't do it... it makes it easier if you have the common/ground lead connected with a clip, and then you're only focusing on where to place the one probe.

#27 6 years ago

... btw... Deathlok would kick Batman's butt... just sayin'.
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/batman-vs-deathlok-692274/

#28 6 years ago

Ouch, that hurts man.

3 weeks later
#29 6 years ago

Well my 12v bridge rectifier in the bottom cabinet is faulty (reads ok in one direction but not the other), and since the 12v filter capacitor needs changing I have all new bridge rectifiers and a new capacitor on order. Havn't bothered to read the voltages at the voltage regulator yet, figured I'd get stable power down below first then see what I got at the power supply board on top.

#30 6 years ago

Anyone know where I can get one of these for a 1/4A ? Seems I can't find anything below 1 Amp

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Batcade:

Well my 12v bridge rectifier in the bottom cabinet is faulty (reads ok in one direction but not the other), and since the 12v filter capacitor needs changing I have all new bridge rectifiers and a new capacitor on order. Havn't bothered to read the voltages at the voltage regulator yet, figured I'd get stable power down below first then see what I got at the power supply board on top.

Be sure to disconnect the connector from the power board and check rectifier if you haven't already. I did the same thing, waited months to get the bridge chips from china only to find out it still didn't work. Bad power board circuit pulling down the voltage made the bridge look bad when it wasn't . I would have seen that if I disconnected the power board connector before testing the bridge rectifiers .

#32 6 years ago

I also assume you checked the diode bridge AFTER you disconnected the capacitor... if the capacitor was shorted it could affect you diode bridge measurements too.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Batcade:

reads ok in one direction but not the other

Reading that again... sorry to ask a dumb question but what do you mean by "ok in one direction but not the other"? Diodes sort of work that way depending on what you're testing and where your positive and negative probes are put.

With power off, cap disconnected, and connectors off of circuit boards you can check each diode in the quad in both directions. Compare what you see on the 12v bridge diodes to what you see on some of the other diode bridges that you think are good.

Apologies if you already know all that. Not sure what your experience level on diodes is.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

Reading that again... sorry to ask a dumb question but what do you mean by "ok in one direction but not the other"? Diodes sort of work that way depending on what you're testing and where your positive and negative probes are put.
With power off, cap disconnected, and connectors off of circuit boards you can check each diode in the quad in both directions. Compare what you see on the 12v bridge diodes to what you see on some of the other diode bridges that you think are good.
Apologies if you already know all that. Not sure what your experience level on diodes is.

I used the test procedure here http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=general#Bridge_Rectifier_Testing_Procedure

black on positive, red on the AC terminals (this way only read 0.2-0.3v), then red on negative, and black on the AC terminals (this way read 0.5v). I didn't disconnect anything prior to testing, in order to disconnect the capacitor I'd have to de-solder it so may as well replace it if thats the case (it also looks pretty gross).

I will probably test the voltages on the power supply board first, but still thinking I should have new bridge rectifiers/capacitor in there before dropping in a new voltage regulator.

#35 6 years ago

Just to clarify, I will test the voltage regulator test points before replacing anything in the bottom cabinet. But since the capacitor is old, and the bridge rectifiers seem a tad off in the one direction (and I have read BR's can test fine but not actually be okay), I may want to replace them anyway to rule out problems down below.

#36 6 years ago

I may disconnect the voltage regulator though and re-test the bridge rectifiers just to see if that changes it at all. I'd rather only replace what I need to.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Batcade:

I may disconnect the voltage regulator though and re-test the bridge rectifiers just to see if that changes it at all. I'd rather only replace what I need to.

Yes. Just pull the power connectors off any boards to rule out that they are affecting your diode bridge readings. If your capacitor is shot though it can also affect the readings. The bridge rectifiers may be ok. The testing procedures assume nothing else in the circuitry that could affect readings .. a shorted cap would.

#38 6 years ago

If the cap is shorted you may find that after disconnecting it you power up ok. You'll need one long term to stabilize that 12v power but it should actually power up without it.

#39 6 years ago

Well, after unplugging the connectors from the power supply my bridge rectifiers actually read perfect at 0.5 so thats interesting.

I got some readings off of the voltage regulator:
TP1 - 60.3V
TP2 - 43V
TP4 - 1.08V
TP5 - 11.77V

TP4 is way low and TP5 is high, I wonder if thats the reason my 1/4amp display fuse is blowing.
I started a new thread if anyone has any ideas:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-80-power-supply-voltage-regulator-issue#post-4200638

#40 6 years ago

Doing some tests on the voltage regulator and looking over the MPU it looks no chips are installed for prom1 or prom2 is that normal? Is this not where the main game rom would be?

6C68B0B9-9D16-48C6-9AD8-1B67803E6DEB (resized).jpeg6C68B0B9-9D16-48C6-9AD8-1B67803E6DEB (resized).jpeg

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Batcade:

looks no chips are installed for prom1 or prom2 is that normal? Is this not where the main game rom would be?

Yes. Mine is either an aftermarket board or reworked but I only have the single Prom in P1 with markings on it for both Proms (extra address bits). You can see extra components beside my P1 that are not in your shot. Looks like you'll need a set of proms.

IMG_1022 (resized).JPGIMG_1022 (resized).JPG

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

Yes. Mine is either an aftermarket board or reworked but I only have the single Prom in P1 with markings on it for both Proms (extra address bits). You can see extra components beside my P1 that are not in your shot. Looks like you'll need a set of proms.

I haven’t seen any for sale online so I’m guessing these would have to be sourced second hand through eBay or something?

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Batcade:

I haven’t seen any for sale online so I’m guessing these would have to be sourced second hand through eBay or something?

Flippers.com seems to have them... Burnaby BC.

Probably need to find out if you need 2 or 1 Prom. I'm sure there are lots of posts about the mods needed to use 1 Prom.

I got a sound card Prom from a guy in Toronto... I can check if he has game proms as well for games if you'd like. Let me know.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

Flippers.com seems to have them... Burnaby BC.
Probably need to find out if you need 2 or 1 Prom. I'm sure there are lots of posts about the mods needed to use 1 Prom.
I got a sound card Prom from a guy in Toronto... I can check if he has game proms as well for games if you'd like. Let me know.

Ah sweet, I will checkout flippers thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-amazing-spiderman-displays-blowing-f7-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.