View topic image gallery

canon240117 011 (resized).JPG
canon240117 010 (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
gtbstep1a2001 (resized).jpg
20170122_214003 (resized).jpg
20170122_225213 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

The ball count unit on 2001 is on the bottom board. Someone has ran a wire from the snowshoe that contacts the top rivets directly to the 5V fuse. I see the small jump wire that normally connects the centre screw to the snowshoe is not present.

I have not fired up the game yet. It was a non-working project. Would this hack to the 5V source have replaced the missing small jumper wire? Or is it indicative of something else?

20170122_225213 (resized).jpg20170122_225213 (resized).jpg

20170122_214003 (resized).jpg20170122_214003 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

The wire from that shoe should be black and ground out, on that tab, under the screw on the adjustment plate. The other 2 shoes should connect to each other.
gtbstep1a2001 (resized).jpggtbstep1a2001 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Darcy Can I trouble you for a picture of the reverse side of the unit?

#4 7 years ago

Sorry I do not have a 2001, the photo I posted was from the internet.

Do you see any reason to put 5 volts to that stepper? Is there any other odd wires added to your game? Those wires on the stepper are they for the Ball Light Count?

#5 7 years ago

As Darcy mentioned the contact should be wired to the tab on the centre adjustment mounting plate. Also check that the SL-WH-RED wire is attached to the frame of the assembly as that is what completes the return path. Not sure why it was wired to the 5V supply which just feeds the coin door lamps as it should be connected to the 6V line.

TimMe suggested using solder braid to wire the fingers on stepper units.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-1968-funland-pinball-machine-wont-start#post-3495481

Quoted from TimMe:

The jumper wire for bridging these wipers was known in the coin-op industry as "pig-tail" wire. It is a very flexible braided copper wire. You can't use regular wire to bridge the wipers because the stiffness of the wire will bind up the wipers and they won't ride freely over the contact rivets. In the worst case scenario, the wipers will start cutting grooves into the rivets and that is something you really want to avoid.

It's tough to find pig-tail wire these days, but an easy replacement is to use some thin solder wick (the yellow spool size is my preference). You need to soak the solder wick in alcohol for several hours to wash out the majority of the embedded flux. Don't try to use solder wick as pig-tail wire without soaking it in alcohol first, as the flux will cause the braid to wick up large amounts of solder (after all, that is what it was designed to do) and the wire won't be flexible.
- TimMe

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Sorry I do not have a 2001, the photo I posted was from the internet.
Do you see any reason to put 5 volts to that stepper? Is there any other odd wires added to your game? Those wires on the stepper are they for the Ball Light Count?

I went through the game today and other than the snowshoe not connected to the metal tab and the other two snowshoes not connected together, there don't seem to be any other hacks. The hack was a simple one to get the ball in play lamps to light, I guess? I'll certainly check the path from the stepper unit to the ball in play lamps in the backbox to see if there are any breaks in the line that would have warranted the hack.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

darcy Can I trouble you for a picture of the reverse side of the unit?

A couple of pics front & back:

canon240117 010 (resized).JPGcanon240117 010 (resized).JPG

canon240117 011 (resized).JPGcanon240117 011 (resized).JPG

I was fascinated by the bend in the tilt rod minus the normal clip.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

I went through the game today and other than the snowshoe not connected to the metal tab and the other two snowshoes not connected together, there don't seem to be any other hacks. The hack was a simple one to get the ball in play lamps to light, I guess? I'll certainly check the path from the stepper unit to the ball in play lamps in the backbox to see if there are any breaks in the line that would have warranted the hack.

If none of the ball in play lights didn't work after you replaced the link on the finger I would suspect the XB contact in the schematic I posted earlier or the SL-WH-RED wire attached the frame of the stepper.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtb-2001-whats-that-hack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.