(Topic ID: 107625)

Growing a league in a large city, with no locations

By swampfire

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4923509415_8b99983da7.jpg
    DPL-24playermatchup.pdf (PDF preview)
    air_only.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinlynx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 9 years ago

Regarding match play, what you guys are talking about is the "Social Golfer Problem". There was an awesome link from Brown that now appears to be dead. This is the best I could find now.

http://www.mathpuzzle.com/MAA/54-Golf%20Tournaments/mathgames_08_14_07.html

There's some pretty complex math going on and it gets even more complicated if you want to make sure that no one plays the same game twice. I used the four groups of four solution from Brown to build the NGPL 2013 match play night @ my brothers and this years Cup. In both cases, I ran a simulation on my computer (overnight, for 3 nights) to do my best to balance the groupings.

The bottom line is, if you want to do match play with 20+ people while ensuring that no two players play each other and no one plays the same machine twice, you need a lot of rounds and a lot of games.

Given the right parameters, match play is a ton of fun. For larger numbers of players, most other formats work much better.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinlynx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/growing-a-league-in-a-large-city-with-no-locations?tu=pinlynx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.