52 days ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 51 days ago by Yoski
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E12850A7-7D1F-4E72-93A1-90F5FB393F88 (resized).jpeg
    967a1dd1c0cc604007241a08964c1f9b1b220c5f (resized).jpg

#1 52 days ago

Hi,
    I need to rewire a machine with new ground wire. A common staple gun is highly inconvenient since it requires a lot of space and there is all kinds of machinery under the playfield. I am in search of a bright idea and/or tool how to fasten the new ground wire under the playfield that doesn't require removing a bunch of stuff. A pneumatic staple gun is a step in the right direction, but I don't have a compressor, so that option is out.
    Thanks much
    Mike

#2 52 days ago

Here's a Centaur restoration where foil tape was used.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-centaur-customized-restoration-started

967a1dd1c0cc604007241a08964c1f9b1b220c5f (resized).jpg
    #3 52 days ago

Foil tape, very interesting ... That would certainly eliminate the unwieldy staple gun.

#4 52 days ago

Until the adhesive wears off and you have long strands of bare metal suspended in your lamps, coils, and switches.

This, to me, looks like an EXTREMELY bad idea.

It looks very pretty, but no thanks.

Also, how much current can that tape actually carry?

If there were staples every few inches along the tape, I could see this working.

#5 52 days ago

I've borrowed a compressor and used a long nose gun like this.
    amazon.com link »

#6 52 days ago

Actually, that is not a ground wire. It carries current to the lamps. You can use insulated wire and connect it from lamp to lamp with solder or screws

#7 52 days ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Actually, that is not a ground wire. It carries current to the lamps. You can use insulated wire and connect it from lamp to lamp with solder or screws

Ding ding.

#9 52 days ago

Good luck with that.

#10 52 days ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Good luck with that.

Believe it or not but it works just fine.
    Used it for many stuff.
    And if it does not fully go through, just finish with the hammer.

No need to be equiped enough to repair a truck when a small mobile device does 95% of the job

#11 52 days ago
    Quoted from SarverSystems:

Until the adhesive wears off and you have long strands of bare metal suspended in your lamps, coils, and switches.
    This, to me, looks like an EXTREMELY bad idea.
    It looks very pretty, but no thanks.
    Also, how much current can that tape actually carry?
    If there were staples every few inches along the tape, I could see this working.

Well, if you read the thread linked to the post, it was billed as a high end custom resto, and the foil tape can handle around 20A. Even Vid approved. Done for more than one machine, too.

#12 52 days ago

Fine for home use.

#13 52 days ago

As far as foil goes, it isn't all about electrical properties, its about space.. you need a wide foil to carry 20amps. If you have swapped a early 80's playfield, there is not much room in between things. Kinda crowded.

#14 52 days ago

Now that I look closer, the foil is shorted against a few t-nuts. Not a good idea.

#15 52 days ago

I used this electric one I got at Home Depot. It worked great for me, but as you can see I removed everything.

E12850A7-7D1F-4E72-93A1-90F5FB393F88 (resized).jpeg
    #16 51 days ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

I already did that in some cases but I hate to look at some patch work. In some places the wire is only held by 1 or 2 remaining strands. I patched over those with whatever wire I had available and soldered it. Works but looks like crap.

#17 51 days ago
    Quoted from Vandy89:

I used this electric one I got at Home Depot. It worked great for me, but as you can see I removed everything.
    [quoted image]

Sure, but that's what i was hoping to avoid.

#18 51 days ago
    Quoted from supermoot:

I've borrowed a compressor and used a long nose gun like this.
    amazon.com link ยป

That long nose stapler also has an electrical version. The one I am looking at "Duo-Fast ENC-5418A Electric Stapler" is used for carpets. How powerful are those staplers? I would hate if the staple comes out on the playfield side. I wasn't able to find a less powerful hand powered version of a long nose stapler.

#19 51 days ago
    Quoted from Yoski:

I don't have a compressor, so that option is out.
    Mike

You can pick up small compressors at the big box stores for around $100. I use mine for all kinds of things.

#20 51 days ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You can pick up small compressors at the big box stores for around $100.

Yeah they are pretty economical anymore. Harbor freight has them under $100 that will easily do what he needs.

#21 51 days ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Yeah they are pretty economical anymore. Harbor freight has them under $100 that will easily do what he needs.

I will have a look at those. I thought you need a much bigger an more expensive one to drive a pneumatic stapler.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 25.50
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
    Flashinstinct
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 199.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 35.00
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 129.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside