(Topic ID: 207168)

Ground wire modification. A Todd TNT fix. Where can I find the pins?

By mettyfish

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

08-50-0116 (resized).jpg
    08030304 (resized).png
    736587 (resized).jpg
    7691 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider waffen_spain.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from mettyfish:

He also says spray the pot on the 5 volt PCB. Is that a valid thing to do? Thx, Mark

In order to be able to adjust the 5V correctly, yes, many times this kind of pots has dirty inside and doesnt work correctly, like the sound pots when you try to adjust the volume and you can only find mute or maximum...

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

I'm sorry Todd but your approach is minimal at best. The whole reason for the ground mods is because the edge connectors just can't be trusted. Where other manufacturers had "hard" grounds (boards screwed to a metal back plane, which was ground), Gottlieb relied on connectors to do this.
    The whole point of this is to make sure the grounds are SOLID. That is, they don't float (because of crappy connectors.)
    Let me put it this way... If you drive a car into a ditch, is driving another car into the ditch making things better??? Because that's your version of the "ground fix", where you rely on the same crappy connectors (new or not) to do that job!
    Another way to put this... Doing the same thing again and again and expecting different results, well, that's the definition of "insane."
    And to add to that, you're using USED parts in the version of the ground mod you do? Seriously????
    What i don't understand Todd, is why are you so lazy on this issue? it takes me about 15 minutes to do ALL the ground mods. ALL of them (including adding the interconnector wires you do.) This is one of those things where's you really can't do too much. Running hard (wires) grounds to the boards is the best way to handle this. Relying on the same crappy connectors (and used ones in your case!) that failed before is just, well, lazy and dumb.

Dude, to say to someone like Todd with more than 30 years of experience, that what he does is lazy and dumb you need to have big cojones, if you know what I mean.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

The less time he spends fixing them, the more profit. Time is money in business. On the hobbyists side, we can take the time to do it right. I work cheap for myself.

And that is what Todd wrote, if you want to, you can do all the mods and take your time...

But he also say they did many many pins this way, during many many years and had no ground related problems again...

You choose, its your pin and your time

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider waffen_spain.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ground-wire-modification-a-todd-tnt-fix-where-can-i-find-the-pins?tu=waffen_spain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.