(Topic ID: 207168)

Ground wire modification. A Todd TNT fix. Where can I find the pins?

By mettyfish

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

08-50-0116 (resized).jpg
    08030304 (resized).png
    736587 (resized).jpg
    7691 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 6 years ago

You didn't say which System. Here is the pinwiki for System 80

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80

Go to the ground updates section 4.4

#15 6 years ago

You would thinks so, but..........

We have had screws loosen up on switching power supplies causing problems. Usually low voltage but when there are lots of power wires feeding other devices in the product, each with their own crimp eyelet, It can be a real bitch to track down when odd problems start to appear.

#17 6 years ago

I agree. They would have prevented lots of failures. Not only in the pinball industry but the video game amusement industry as well. Just about every manufacturer I have encountered was guilty of undersized connectors.

About the only connector I don't think I have ever seen fail are Beau Connectors.

But as you said, the bean counters usually call the shots.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from MarAlb:

- performing the groundmod on 80B games with 0.093 connectors at the transformer assy is a wise thing. When there are 0.0156 KK connectors used with bifurcated crimpcontacts it is unnecessary.

Please explain? I realize that one weak point in Gottlieb's design was at the gathered ground wires at the transformer assembly. And, I agree, the Star Grounding method is actually the correct approach for electronic design and preventing ground loops. Depending on generation, they used both inline 0.156 headers as well as 0.093 round molex plugs to attach the ground wires. Both suffer from the same fate: Cold solders to the headers on the PCB. But, as I would understand it, the 0.093" pins/connector carry more current and are less likely to move due to vibration. So why do you feel one requires modification while the other doesn't? ( I am only asking to learn.)

I know I am in the minority here but I would much rather service the connectors (cold solders) than perform the Solderless eyelet ground mod.

Instead of Bifurcated pins did you instead mean Trifuricon Pins?

736587 (resized).jpg736587 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cactusjack.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ground-wire-modification-a-todd-tnt-fix-where-can-i-find-the-pins?tu=cactusjack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.