(Topic ID: 261080)

Ground Short Row 5 IJ *solved-found worn switch wiring*

By dmesserly

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eyeamred2u.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

I ordered some 2803 and 339 chips to replace the U20 and U19.
Basic advice request...I don't have a special tool to pull chips. Is there a preferred method using screw driver to pry or pliers to grip and pull?

Buy a chip puller, they cost 4 bucks

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

OK part way there then failure...
I replaced the socketed U20 and U19 on the CPU. Put the CPU back and reconnected to game. The game booted up with no errors.
I had forgotten to reconnect the three POA connectors under the playfield. When I did and rebooted the game I got the original Ground Short Row 5 error message and no row 5 switches work.
Disconnect the POA connectors and the game still throws the error.
Disconnect connector 207 and 209 and still throws error.
I took out the mini playfield and can't see any worn wires or obvious shorts. Same with other switches in row.
I'm at a loss for how to hunt this down but I assume that there is a problem somewhere in the row 5 switches.

Could have blown the chips you just replaced.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Yes. I assume I probably did that but I need to find out what to do to locate and fix problem in playfield.
I guess my question is how do I locate a short in a row of switches if I can't find any visible cause?
THanks.

You have looked for broken coil wires? Solder splash? Wire that has bare spot and is touching metal?

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Don't know what was wrong but I reinstalled the CPU and double checked the connectors and I am not back to a fully working game with all switches working except I have not reinstalled the POA which has two switches in Row 5. Last time I reconnected the POA after everything was working to that point, I got the Ground Short Row 5 error.
I have examined the switches and wiring on the POA and can find no visible worn wires or things touching where they shouldn't. Can someone give me some pointers on how to find a short on the POA or what to test for before I reinstall again?

Have you checked fuses on the driver board?

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Don't know what was wrong but I reinstalled the CPU and double checked the connectors and I am not back to a fully working game with all switches working except I have not reinstalled the POA which has two switches in Row 5. Last time I reconnected the POA after everything was working to that point, I got the Ground Short Row 5 error.
I have examined the switches and wiring on the POA and can find no visible worn wires or things touching where they shouldn't. Can someone give me some pointers on how to find a short on the POA or what to test for before I reinstall again?

What are the 2 switches on Row 5 on the POA? Do they have diodes on them?

#29 4 years ago

Have the diodes been replaced? Do the switches have insulators, and so if are they missing? Are the contacts burnt?

#30 4 years ago

You can check for open in those switches with a multimeter. I would check both switches and diodes.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

I found some switch tests on pinrepair.com. Tested all switches for continuity and they are working.
Do I need to remove the diodes to test them?

Just unsolder one leg to test

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

No need to remove one of diode leg to test,Just remove the green wire in the middle of that switch it slides right off then test the diode

Remove a leg

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I had looked over the switches and wiring on the POA Several times but I tried again again found a wire in a bundle that was worn and near metal. I wrapped it and put the POA back and reconnected everything.
IJ is now back and fully functioning. Played a bunch of games with no issues.

Good job

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,419.00
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
14,000 (OBO)
$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eyeamred2u.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ground-short-row-5-ij?tu=eyeamred2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.