6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20171107_124720080 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi all...I was wondering if I could get some technical help with a ground short problem?

Was changing out some playfield bulbs on my Party Zone, turned the system on and began to play. After shooting the ball up the rocket ramp it took about 7/8 seconds before it registered and shot out with the kicker. Even the captain's head in the middle didn't turn back to look until that point it was getting kicked out.

I went into switch edges to see if there were any problems, and found out the back ramp switch "31" where the ball comes up the Rocket ramp was giving a ground short error. I also checked other switches and found out that the "eat drink and be merry" targets are also throwing ground short errors.

Looked at the switch Matrix and found out that they are all in the same column "column 3". What I'm getting confused about is it's telling me a row is bad. Everything in the rows to the left and right of column three are working fine. I unplugged both row and column connectors from the board and don't have any error showing up in the switch edges test. Only the "always closed" shows up.

I disconnected the back ramp switch completely and and still getting the error. I then removed the green/orange wire that is used in column 3 from the eat drink targets and touched each one individually with the wire to isolate each of the 5 targets and I'm still getting the row error on all.

I may be mistaken in my understanding of a switch Matrix, but I thought the main power going into a switch comes from the column and is spread out amongst the rows. When I disconnected the column harness from the board but left the row harness plugged in, I was still getting an error. Wasn't quite sure how I can still get that power to the target unless there is still power coming from the row and obviously the target is grounded. If someone can please correct me where I'm wrong in thinking of power coming into the switch Matrix I would appreciate it.

I checked everywhere for pinched wires and couldn't find anything pinched, also checked for anything touching the ground or the diode and found nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

IMG_20171107_124720080 (resized).jpgIMG_20171107_124720080 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Bruce092873:

I may be mistaken in my understanding of a switch Matrix, but I thought the main power going into a switch comes from the column and is spread out amongst the rows. When I disconnected the column harness from the board but left the row harness plugged in, I was still getting an error. Wasn't quite sure how I can still get that power to the target unless there is still power coming from the row and obviously the target is grounded. If someone can please correct me where I'm wrong in thinking of power coming into the switch Matrix I would appreciate it.

All switch columns are normally high, when the column is active the MPU pulls the column signal low; any closed switch in that column pulls its corresponding row low, it's these low going pulses that the MPU reads as a switch closure.

By disconnecting the column harness you essentially drove every column low all the time, the computer would read this as all switches closed, or ground short in all rows.

Here is some additional information on the matrix:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-mysterious-switch-matrix

#3 6 years ago

Got it sir...I was trying to work on it again and now I'm finding out that when I close the coin door, the switch gets activated and I'm getting a ground short error now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Walbridge, OH
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Glen Rock, PA
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, IN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ground-short-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.