(Topic ID: 232017)

Ground Short error and funky switch edge test

By bobnatlanta

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

This is an Addams. Putting this in a new thread to see if I can generate an idea or two. Long story...bottom line: when I boot up, I see a msg pop up for less than 1 second GND. SHORT ROW 1 STUCK CLOSED. The game then goes to attract mode. If I start a game, most of the time the game serves two balls on ball 1. If I replace the ball in the trough, I can usually complete a game normally, and everything functions properly.

I’ve tested all trough switches, and they register as they should. I’ve jumpered the pins to test all switch matrix combinations and they test fine. I started going through edge test for the Row 1 switches, and the were all fine, until I got to the Shooter Lane Switch. Activating that switch causes it and all of the bookcase optos in that switch column to flicker on the edge test. I have no idea what that means or what I should be looking for.

Thoughts?
Thanks!!

#2 5 years ago

Look for a pinched wire for the shooter lane switch, and if there's a diode across the switch, check/replace the diode.

#3 5 years ago

Turn the game off. Unplug the connector for row one from the cpu. Turn game on. If you still get the error, the cpu has a problem. If not you have row one shorting to ground out in the game.

LTG : )

#4 5 years ago

Thanks guys!!

I unplugged J209 and through several power cycles was unable to reproduce the GND. SHORT Row 1 error. Looks like the problem is on the playfield, which is a relief, except for the part that is terrifying. I'll start with replacing the diode on the shooter lane switch and go from there. Interestingly, in examining the shooter lane switch, I found a bit of a mess on the upper swamp millions switch. It has been replaced at some point, and it looks like some of the wires brushed against the soldering iron, with cooked plastic and exposed wire in some places. Might not be related, but I've got some additional work to do on this switch, too.

#5 5 years ago

Replacing the diode on the shooter lane switch produced the same result. Brief flash of the GND. SHORT error, flickering swich edge test.

Nuts.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from bobnatlanta:

Replacing the diode

Only 8 switches on the row. Unwire the white wire from each one and hook them back up one at a time until the short returns. Then you know the switch. Could be shorted internally where you can't see it.

LTG : )

#7 5 years ago

Thanks Lloyd!!! Didn’t even have to heat up the soldering iron. I was following wires to make sure I had the correct switches identified, and there it was on the Bookcase Open switch. The lamp socket on the Jackpot lamp was resting against one of the lugs on the switch. One scientific bend later, everything is working properly.

Welcome back Addams, and many many thanks to Lloyd and all the great minds on Pinside!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 159.00
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ground-short-error-and-funky-switch-edge-test and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.