• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by cshelden
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I'm stumped.

Bally Nitro Ground Shaker:

Issue: will not kick out ball to start play, game will start and can play if you place a ball in the trough.
New Alltek MPU
New Alltek SDB
Repined MPU
Repined SDB P1/P2 (flipper connectors etc)

Things I've checked:
Replaced diode on the kicker coil. Checked the coil and it reads about 12ohms, slightly over spec I believe it should be about 10.5ohm. All fuses are good, all voltages are in spec, both confirmed with VOM as well as Alltek SDB.
Solenoid test fires all coils except the outhole kicker coil.
Checked switch operation, it does register on SDB, also when you activate the switch the drop target bank resets (yellow wires from drop bank to kick out coil). I've confirmed continuity of yellow wire at the coil to the connector on the back box (repined as well). Confirmed connection from the grey wire on the coil to the backbox. Confirmed good 1a SB fuse under the playfield.
I'm missing something simple. It should fire, yet it doesn't.

I'm new to Bally, so not sure if things are different between this and Williams with regards to solenoid operation. All other switches, coils operate as should.

Note: Lamp board is out of the game as I need to repin those connectors. As I'm typing this it dawns on me maybe it needs to be connected? If so why would all other coils work in game play? For all intents it plays, just won't kick out a ball.
Signed no ground shaking, just head-shaking....

#2 2 years ago

You mentioned your first clue early in your post. The coil won't fire in test mode. Right there rules out switches so you didn't need to look at those. You already checked for power at the coil and the coil ohms. Briefly grounding the trigger side of the coil (vio-brn) should fire the coil. If it does, then move to checking wiring to the driving transistor Q33 by grounding it's large tab momentarily. The outhole coil is also multiplexed with the captive ball flashers, do those work?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from cshelden:

Checked switch operation, it does register on SDB,

Do you mean you went into switch test and the outhole switch shows? The switches are not connected directly to the solenoid driver board. The drop bank resetting would be normal ball start behavior, drops reset and ball kicks to shooter lane (which it will do this sequence repeatedly if no score and the outhole switch stays closed, which it will since your outhole coil doesn't fire)

Quoted from cshelden:

Lamp board is out of the game as I need to repin those connectors. As I'm typing this it dawns on me maybe it needs to be connected?

Nope. On a game with a solenoid expander board, yep, but NGS isn't one of those.

Like wayout440 says, this is likely a blown transistor on the SDB. The other thing it could also be is the .100 connector that sends the signal from the mpu to the driver board - go into solenoid test and make sure that as the numbers count up, they match the solenoid fired in the manual, and that no number fires a solenoid more than once in that sequence.

Test the rest like he says, ignore the slightly higher 12 ohms vs. 10.whatever, that's not going to matter in this application.

Quoted from wayout440:

The outhole coil is also multiplexed with the captive ball flashers, do those work?

I don't see this on the schematics for Nitro Groundshaker - there are flashers on this game??

#4 2 years ago

I don't see this on the schematics for Nitro Groundshaker - there are flashers on this game??

Not on this game. I’m going over everything step by step. I’ve missed something simple.

#5 2 years ago

Oops...sorry. For some reason I thought he said "Earthshaker". My bad. Earthshaker is a Williams system 11 with multiplexed coils.

Disregard, though the Op has a coil driving problem and not a switch problem still stands true.

#6 2 years ago

The outhole solenoid trigger wire is grey-wht Grounding the trigger wire should fire the coil. The connector for this coil is J1 pin 5 on the SDB. Q4 is the driving transistor. Grounding it's tab should fire the outhole coil

#7 2 years ago

Update:
The Mosfet that fires the coil (Q4) appears to be faulty. I've contacted Alltek for warranty repair.

THank you all for you input and assistance.

3 weeks later
#8 2 years ago

Bad transistor on SBD was issue. Subbed in a working SBD and no issues found.
Thanks all.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 10.00
$ 10.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ground-shaker-outhole-won-t-function and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.