• Latest reply 5 years ago by DUKE_WADD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1993 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

had a ground row short error on a buddys shadow game a couple months ago checked all switch row and couldn't find a short to ground, finally ended up changing u 20 and u 23 after waiting foever for parts then getting sent the wrong parts anyway 3-4 months later stared the game fine no errors. played for about 4 day and the same error is back.

whats causing this ?
what should i be checking next ?

#2 5 years ago

Did you socket u20 and U23?

Do you have a chip tester?

I would pull and test the chips to see if they are bad.

#3 5 years ago

ya both are socketed

havent even looked at it yet but at least one of those chips will be bad now

have extra chips but dont wanna put them in until i figure out why they keep blowing

got about 30+ games before it happened. buddy said he thinks it happened both times when the ball was on the battlefield.

#4 5 years ago

I had a sorcerer that was feeding coil voltage to the switch matrix. One of the pop bumpers had a partial coil wrapper and the motion wore through the wire insulation and set coil voltage to the switch.

I found it by putting the game into play and touching each bracket with a dmm lead. If any bracket is showing voltage this could be the issue

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

I had a sorcerer that was feeding coil voltage to the switch matrix. One of the pop bumpers had a partial coil wrapper and the motion wore through the wire insulation and set coil voltage to the switch.
I found it by putting the game into play and touching each bracket with a dmm lead. If any bracket is showing voltage this could be the issue

good idea i will try that see what i can find

#6 5 years ago

found this under the mini playfield rubbing on the metal under it but it goes to a light.

IMG_1993 (resized).JPGIMG_1993 (resized).JPG
#7 5 years ago

A light shorting to a switch will cause u20 to go bad.
I think you are close to the issue, under the Battlefield somewhere.

1 week later
#8 5 years ago

well worked on it today for a bit fixed the wire with nicks in it, checked all solenoid brackets couldnt find anything changed u23 again cuz it was fuct turned it on and ground row short row 1 stuck closed. cant get in menu or do anything
-read it could be opto board so unpluged it the error went away and could get in meun
-menu said ground row short 3,6,7 or somthing
stuck on what to do next

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from DUKE_WADD:

well worked on it today for a bit fixed the wire with nicks in it, checked all solenoid brackets couldnt find anything changed u23 again cuz it was fuct turned it on and ground row short row 1 stuck closed. cant get in menu or do anything
-read it could be opto board so unpluged it the error went away and could get in meun
-menu said ground row short 3,6,7 or somthing
stuck on what to do next

Replace chip. I had this same problem I'm pretty sure a while back. It was a bad chip.

#10 5 years ago

I had gotten some chips which were counterfeit. So be sure of where you buy chips from.

#11 5 years ago

Does your friend have another machine with a 10 opto board that he could swap in?

#12 5 years ago

chips from marco so pretty sure there good think u20 is done again and no more extras
no other machine to test parts from
another thing when you turn it on a few of solenoids fire 3-4 times before they stop

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from DUKE_WADD:

chips from marco so pretty sure there good think u20 is done again and no more extras
no other machine to test parts from
another thing when you turn it on a few of solenoids fire 3-4 times before they stop

Those solenoids are probably associated with an opto, assuming the opto board is still unplugged.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Those solenoids are probably associated with an opto, assuming the opto board is still unplugged.

opto board was pluged in when solenoids were popping

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Aurora, IL
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ground-row-short-back-again and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.