New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 274361)

Ground Connections on Power Supplies

By oldschoolbob

84 days ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 83 days ago by oldschoolbob
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5205 (resized).JPG
    4 (resized).jpg
    3 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).JPG

#1 84 days ago

Sometime back we (me and several Pinside members) built a power supply for testing MPUs.

1 (resized).JPG

Inside the box are two separate power supplies – one for 12 and 5 volts and one for 24 volts.

2 (resized).jpg

Each section has its own transformer, wiring, fuse, and on/off switch. I only use the 24 volt section for checking zero crossing and seldom use it. Normally when I use the power supply I connect ground to TP4, 5 volts to TP5, and 12 volts to TP2. When I use the 24 volt section I also connect ground to TP4, and 24 volts to TP3. Therefore I have two test leads connected to TP4.

3 (resized).jpg

What would happen if I connect both ground wires together at the power supply?

4 (resized).jpg

Would the ground wire have any effect when using only the 5 & 12 volt section?

I may win the dumbest question award but I don’t want to harm my power supply.

Thanks
    Bob

#2 84 days ago

You can leave the grounds permanently connected at the power supply even if the 24V is not on. No harm done.

#3 84 days ago

Non EE speaking:
    Standard electrical practice is to tie all the grounds from different supplies together at a single point as close to the supplies as possible. Google stuff like "star ground".

In this case it doesn't really matter where you connect them since you're not really doing any current with the 24v though.

I can't think of any reason you wouldn't want the grounds tied, but it'd me sorta cool to have a switch on the power supply to control it...

#4 84 days ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I can't think of any reason you wouldn't want the grounds tied, but it'd me sorta cool to have a switch on the power supply to control it...

I like this idea. I would use a switch to control the ground connection as well.
    -Mike

#5 84 days ago

I would just plug them manually, so you can also create a negative voltage which is a nice thing to have when testing some soundboards.

#6 83 days ago

Thank you all for your input.

I read a few articles about tying grounds together but nothing pertaining to my situation. I didn't want to put the switch in because I didn't want to open the case.

This is what I came up with. It seems to work fine. I booted without the 24 volts - then with the 24 volts. Works just like before.

Again, thank you all.

IMG_5205 (resized).JPG
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    £ 20.00
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 7,599.00
    Electronics
    TheDudeMods
    $ 239.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 339.00
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
    Flashinstinct
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Judge Dredd plastic Out of stock
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 26.95
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinfarmer Mods
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside