(Topic ID: 195513)

Ground braid question

By KornFreak28

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2370 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0801 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0798 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Hello,

I'm restoring my Indiana Jones cabinet. I'm at a point where ground braid must be installed. I took lots of pictures showing exactly where the old ground braid was stapled and attached. I noticed the old ground braid was attached to several bolts and screws throughout the cabinet.

My question is: Does it "have" to be installed just like it was before? Attached to the same screws and bolts? Can I bypass some of these screws and attach it to others? The old ground braid was installed all over the place and I would like to create my own pattern for a "cleaner" look. Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks

#2 6 years ago

You can clean up the braid run but in the end you want to catch all the metal parts that were previously ground. The path doesn't have to be the same, but the end result does. For instance, the small carriage bolts you mentioned by the flippers ground the exterior side rails are the only direct metal contact to the rails through the cabinet. You can't bypass those. With leg plates, the factory looped over the top of the plate and used one of the mounting screws to affix the braid to it. You could skip the screw and run the braid behind the plate so long as it makes solid contact.

#3 6 years ago

Good to know! I will catch every bolt and screw like it was before. Is it ok if I attach 2 pieces of braid together with a staple? Thanks!

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Good to know! I will catch every bolt and screw like it was before. Is it ok if I attach 2 pieces of braid together with a staple? Thanks!

Yes. I generally hit the joined area with two staples to be sure it's secure; like an inch apart. If you have a multimeter, I would check continuity as you go along; especially if you doing a lot of piecing together. The factory just folded the braid on itself to change directions. It's effective time-wise but looks poor. I also use solder lugs to terminate the ends of the runs with a screw. IMG_0798 (resized).JPGIMG_0798 (resized).JPGIMG_0801 (resized).JPGIMG_0801 (resized).JPGIMG_2370 (resized).JPGIMG_2370 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

Nicely done! That looks way better than original. Thanks for the tip!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ground-braid-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.