IMG_20220503_160705035 (resized).jpg
third batch closer (resized).jpg
Grogu Ultimate Batch 3 has begun (resized).jpg
More Grogu units (resized).jpg
FEE558BF-137C-40F4-AE0B-02C4ECE65AFD (resized).jpeg
B6C97788-E495-4BF5-9613-3E53602F02EA (resized).jpeg
E7BDF792-1DB9-49E5-896C-F2FD9E96E706 (resized).jpeg
Grogu bracket (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Insanity_Falls.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#141 2 years ago

Hi all,

Carrying over a discussion from r/pinball on this topic. I’ve got a way to make the doll interact directly with game events that I was able to proof-of-concept last night (along with some other cool and completely unrelated stuff!). It comes with a laundry list of caveats and minor details to figure out, but it should work. The bad news is that it’s pretty technical to get it all working correctly and can bork your game if you screw something up. It should be fairly simple to put a kit or something together with either a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino/ESP2866 plus a few other bits, but it’s going to take some dev time to polish it.

Anyway, the question I asked on reddit was if there’s a consensus on what the doll “should” do, because unless I wrote a bunch of custom software to make it user-configurable it’s kind of a one-and-done thing. So with that in mind, what does the wishlist of “when X happens, the doll should do Y” look like?

Also, question about the Pro model: since there’s no magnet, is there any animation or anything for the mystery award or does it just happen? Technically the time the magnet holds onto the ball on the Premium/LE counts as a “mode” which is easy to trigger, but I don’t know if there’s anything comparable on a Pro.

#142 2 years ago

Oh yeah, also would anyone be willing to chop up a doll and donate it to the cause? I can do the software side but the cutting and mounting is the part I’m hopeless at, lol.

#145 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Seeing him move in attract mode is fantastic.

Others have said that they don't want him to move in attract mode though, so the differences of opinion are what I'm interested in since it's likely going to be a "one size fits all" solution (or at least very minimally configurable).

Also, I managed to find a doll locally (very last one at a Best Buy about 30 minutes away) so hopefully I can start hacking away at him today after I go pick it up later.

And by "hacking," I mean software. I still don't want to chop him up, so I'll trade someone for a chopped-up one if you want. haha

Ooh, maybe it would be fun to have him “sleep” until you coin up, at which point he could do a little dance and raise his hand out since he loves shiny objects.

#146 2 years ago

Headed out to grab the doll now, I may throw up a stream on Twitch later while I fiddle with it if anyone wants to watch.

#147 2 years ago

And awaaaaay we go!

D3587EF7-3796-45C7-BE79-E6FB6F34BD42 (resized).jpegD3587EF7-3796-45C7-BE79-E6FB6F34BD42 (resized).jpeg
#154 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

So is there anyway to tie one of these to the magnet trigger? Ideally I want him to only move when the magnet grabs the ball but not sure how to achieve this on Spike2.

Give it til Friday, progress is actively being made.

#155 2 years ago
Quoted from jackhearts:

Could this not work by:
Powering from 5v off the empty light board connector in the middle of the playfield.
Ground coming by splitting the ground for the magnet.
Hence it would only work when magnet is activated.
Just pondering before i start surgery on grigu.

btw, you could easily do this with a simple PNP transistor.

#158 2 years ago

Cool, although I don’t think this thread counts as an “acejedi-specific” thread. In fact, if I may be so bold, I find his approach lacking in some very significant ways that could use improvement. However, he showed us how to chop the doll in half and make it stay put, so he deserves as much credit as anyone.

tl;dr - I’m not sure your thing warrants its own thread, and it honestly smacks a bit of shameless self-promotion.

#160 2 years ago

Been working on this in fits and starts, trying to document the majority of it on stream aside from minor things like soldering, etc. Haven’t had a solid block of multiple hours to devote to it yet but I’m very pleased with the progress. http://www.twitch.tv/insanity_falls if you wanna follow along, I think out loud a lot and explain what I’m doing so you might accidentally learn a bit of electronics along the way!

#165 2 years ago
Quoted from dpannell:

I have tested my Grogu with the magnet in Star Trek so I am reasonable certain it will work fine in mando. He would activate when the magnetic force is first detected. The microcontroller is programmed to run the child movement for a certain time period. I have only played the pro, how long can the ball be held by the magnet during gameplay?

As best I can tell, the magnet stays active until another switch is validated. I’m about to get to work on mine again, I’ll pull the glass off and test for ya while I’m at it.

#172 2 years ago

Magnet update: it stays active until a rollover is validated or until it no longer detects the ball, at which point it awards “D” no matter where the ball ends up going.

Also, you could get the 5v@1A via the USB ports on the CPU node board without having to fiddle with buck converters. You might also be able to get it off the pins of CN8, but I don’t know how much current draw those can handle. Would have to do some testing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Brookings, OR
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 290.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Beyond Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Lighting - Backbox
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1,999.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Maine Home Recreation

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Raleigh, NC
6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Insanity_Falls.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grogu-modding-thread?tu=Insanity_Falls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.