IMG_20220503_160705035 (resized).jpg
third batch closer (resized).jpg
Grogu Ultimate Batch 3 has begun (resized).jpg
More Grogu units (resized).jpg
FEE558BF-137C-40F4-AE0B-02C4ECE65AFD (resized).jpeg
B6C97788-E495-4BF5-9613-3E53602F02EA (resized).jpeg
E7BDF792-1DB9-49E5-896C-F2FD9E96E706 (resized).jpeg
Grogu bracket (resized).jpg
There are 325 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 2 years ago

I’d like to make a place where we could centralize the brainstorming or process for modding or replacement of the Grogu (Baby Yoda) Figure in Stern’s Mandalorian Pin. I don’t think I’m alone when I say that Stern missed an incredible opportunity to make the Mando pin a modern day marvel with some excited new mech for Grogu.
It checks a lot of boxes otherwise.

1) Great Theme
2) Great Art
3) Great Designer
4) Possible great code.

This mod will be a must have much like the Mini Tron Arcade mod made for Tron Legacy Pinball. There are so many options available for replacement animated Grogu figure. I thought we should have a place to know which one to buy and who to send it to or what to do to it to make it work in the game. There are some amazingly gifted people in pinball to help take this game to the next level....

#2 2 years ago

I need him to eat frogs and eggs and spit them out also, make it happen.

#3 2 years ago

Or Baby Yoda "collapses" after the strain of throwing your ball into the rollover lanes.

#4 2 years ago

In interview with Brian Eddy on Dead Flip the concern was the durability and reliability, but would be cool if Grogu would evolve to be animated one day.

#5 2 years ago

floating Grogu Pod opening & closing.

#6 2 years ago

Hasbro makes an animated one for $60, for sale on Amazon. Someone could use these as the starting point, come up with an interface, and....Bob's your uncle!!

Yeah, I know there is more to it than that, but still....if someone can homemake an interface for aftermarket light rail ramps to work on a TRON Pro and interface with the modes....this should be doable as well.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Hasbro makes an animated one for $60. for sale on Amazon. Someone could use these are the starting point, come up with an interface, and....Bob's your uncle!!
Yeah. I know there is more to it than that, but still....if someone can homemake an interface for aftermarket light ramps to work on a TRON Pro and interface with the modes....this should be doable as well.

Someone already proved did that I believe. Post #4517:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-is-the-way-stern-mandalorian-pinball/page/91

#8 2 years ago

Done, how hard was that!?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from RCIV:

In interview with Brian Eddy on Dead Flip the concern was the durability and reliability, but would be cool if Grogu would evolve to be animated one day.

I think the concern is legitimate, and they probably made the right call here.

Plopping a $50 Hasbro toy on the playfield and "circuit bending" it to interface with a node board is easy enough to do, but there is absolutely NO WAY such a toy would remotely last as long as the rest of the machine, and it would likely become an ongoing headache for Stern's service department.

Designing and implementing an appropriately robust mechanism with a proper metal chassis/actuators/gears, brass or ball bearings, decent stepper motors/controllers, etc. would almost certainly add way too much to the overall costs to even consider for the Pro model, and might even be a challenge for the Prem/LE as well (ie. other features like the elevating playfield would need to be sacrificed).

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

I think the concern is legitimate, and they probably made the right call here.
Plopping a $50 Hasbro toy on the playfield and "circuit bending" it to interface with a node board is easy enough to do, but there is absolutely NO WAY such a toy would remotely last as long as the rest of the machine, and it would likely become an ongoing headache for Stern's service department.
Designing and implementing an appropriately robust mechanism with a proper metal chassis/actuators/gears, brass or ball bearings, decent stepper motors/controllers, etc. would almost certainly add way too much to the overall costs to even consider for the Pro model, and might even be a challenge for the Prem/LE as well (ie. other features like the elevating playfield would need to be sacrificed).

In my humble opinion not trying to accomplish an animated Grogu is a missed opportunity and would more than justify the cost of these LE's. Furthermore if it was an extra thousand, then an add on to the Premium at a cost down the road would be bought up if it was well done. If the other features like Upper playfield and Razer Crest were strong enough new additions to attract buyers, then leaving it up to modders to create the animated puppet (or hot wire the Hasbro one) would be fine. But those two features were weak in this case and the animated Grogu could have been very cool if done properly.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Supermans:

In my humble opinion not trying to accomplish an animated Grogu is a missed opportunity and would more than justify the cost of these LE's. Furthermore if it was an extra thousand, then an add on to the Premium at a cost down the road would be bought up if it was well done. If the other features like Upper playfield and Razer Crest were strong enough new additions to attract buyers, then leaving it up to modders to create the animated puppet (or hot wire the Hasbro one) would be fine. But those two features were weak in this case and the animated Grogu could have been very cool if done properly.

Oh, I don't disagree at all, personally.

An animatronic Grogu (done right) would be a lot more desirable to me than the Razer Crest thing (I don't think I'd want to give up the UPF), but as we know all too well everything is built to a price. I can imagine that Brian Eddy et al. would have gone for all three mechs, but Bob (or maybe Jennifer) from Accounting took a more "sober" look at the thing and mandated that they choose 2/3!

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

Bob (or maybe Jennifer) from Accounting took a more "sober" look at the thing and mandated that they choose 2/3!

Easy. Bob's my uncle.

1 month later
#13 2 years ago

Amazing game. Can’t wait to get to some tasteful modding. Keep the Grogu updates coming!

1E1A3027-F7A5-4A2E-A954-AFFB5C2BB799 (resized).jpeg1E1A3027-F7A5-4A2E-A954-AFFB5C2BB799 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#15 2 years ago

Joe modded the $60 Hasbro brand Grogu toy to fit in his LE and rewired it to lift up his hand ‘use the force’ when the magnet is activated to hold the ball.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Apollon:

Amazing game. Can’t wait to get to some tasteful modding. Keep the Grogu updates coming!
[quoted image]

Nice!
This makes me really wish I didn’t sell me SW LE that was perfectly modded

4 weeks later
#17 2 years ago

Looks like Joe/ Acejedi released his instructions on the moving grogu. Tied to movement on one light so lots of room for improvement for folks that are crafty with circuits....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/35138159505/permalink/10158571028689506/

He mentions a kit in the PDF so not sure yet when or where that will be released. Anyways the community is fortunate someone like him is willing to release such detailed instructions.

AceJedi's DAMMIT GROGU DOES SOMETHING Mod .pdfAceJedi's DAMMIT GROGU DOES SOMETHING Mod .pdf

#18 2 years ago

Thank you Joe!!! I appreciate all the help. Can't wait to get the remainder of parts to finish this mod.

#19 2 years ago

Your Welcome Guys, I just wanted him to move, he’s been running for hundreds of hours with zero issues. It was a project I wanted the community to be able to create for free with off the shelf store bought parts. I wanted it basic and easy and I think we did just that. You could definitely add to it. Mines got a light up necklace and you can tie the whole thing to an Arduino and program it if that’s what you want yours to do.

Enjoy and now Grogu does something!!!

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Acejedi:

Your Welcome Guys, I just wanted him to move, he’s been running for hundreds of hours with zero issues. It was a project I wanted the community to be able to create for free with off the shelf store bought parts. I wanted it basic and easy and I think we did just that. You could definitely add to it. Mines got a light up necklace and you can tie the whole thing to an Arduino and program it if that’s what you want yours to do.

It is an awesome mod and I am looking forward to making and fitting one to our Mando when it arrives. Awesome instructions.

I have a request as I am not really a modder. Could you please give me a size of the female connector (instruction sheet says 6 pin, but I think it is a 5 pin) for Stern cabinet node 12V and the location of the wires (e.g. red is pin 1 and black is pin 4) and the loaction of connection on the cabinet node board (eg CN11)

Thanks

#21 2 years ago

Picking up my LE on Friday afternoon but already ordered the grogu animated doll and it arrive today. So I’ll get to work taking it apart and making the modifications while I wait for the rest of the electronic parts to arrive.

F0829B15-3423-4E65-9054-4F331361DF86 (resized).jpegF0829B15-3423-4E65-9054-4F331361DF86 (resized).jpeg
#22 2 years ago

keep us posted! Good luck!

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Acejedi:

ACE, I'm happy you took this on and did the community a solid. Great work. Do you have a gameplay video with your mod in action? I'd love to see it.

My Mando is on order so I'm very excited to follow in your footsteps.

#24 2 years ago

Modded Grogu and won't work when wired up. Looks like both relays I have are bad because when testing on the multi-meter, I get 12v in, but nothing out on any of the output terminals at all. Grogu moves and powers up when I apply 5v to the motor.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

It is an awesome mod and I am looking forward to making and fitting one to our Mando when it arrives. Awesome instructions.
I have a request as I am not really a modder. Could you please give me a size of the female connector (instruction sheet says 6 pin, but I think it is a 5 pin) for Stern cabinet node 12V and the location of the wires (e.g. red is pin 1 and black is pin 4) and the loaction of connection on the cabinet node board (eg CN11)
Thanks

I ordered one of these... when you goto the link, it shows you where to connect.
https://www.pinballlife.com/spike-12v-power-adapter-53-long.html

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from kempsuk:

I ordered one of these... when you goto the link, it shows you where to connect.

The spike-12v-power-adapter also has the suggested in-line fuse holder.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from kempsuk:

That is awesome, Thankyou!

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Modded Grogu and won't work when wired up. Looks like both relays I have are bad because when testing on the multi-meter, I get 12v in, but nothing out on any of the output terminals at all. Grogu moves and powers up when I apply 5v to the motor.

You will need to add a jumper wire from the input terminal to the center (common) terminal of the relay output. It’s not shown in the pdf diagram. Maybe the photo board Joe used was internally connecting those points but the ones linked on Amazon are not. So if you are wiring the grogu power wire to the relay output then you will need to jumper the 12v in to the center of the output. If you are using the relay to switch the ground wire then the center common terminal needs to be jumpered back to the ground input terminal.

800DD5A6-41CE-42A1-9AF3-BBA5F45492EA (resized).jpeg800DD5A6-41CE-42A1-9AF3-BBA5F45492EA (resized).jpeg
#29 2 years ago
Quoted from iskidoo:

You will need to add a jumper wire from the input terminal to the center (common) terminal of the relay output. It’s not shown in the pdf diagram. Maybe the photo board Joe used was internally connecting those points but the ones linked on Amazon are not. So if you are wiring the grogu power wire to the relay output then you will need to jumper the 12v in to the center of the output. If you are using the relay to switch the ground wire then the center common terminal needs to be jumpered back to the ground input terminal.[quoted image]

Awesome info and much appreciated. Joe did find that out and mentioned it to me on Facebook as well but I appreciate your updated diagram. It’s funny when I was looking at replacement relay boards I saw some people added a jumper wire but couldn’t make sense of why in their comments. Now I know why LOL

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from iskidoo:

You will need to add a jumper wire from the input terminal to the center (common) terminal of the relay output. It’s not shown in the pdf diagram. Maybe the photo board Joe used was internally connecting those points but the ones linked on Amazon are not. So if you are wiring the grogu power wire to the relay output then you will need to jumper the 12v in to the center of the output. If you are using the relay to switch the ground wire then the center common terminal needs to be jumpered back to the ground input terminal.[quoted image]

Exactly what I was talking about on the Facebook page. I agree with this.

#31 2 years ago

Yup that did the trick. Now I need to add resistors to slow him down I guess. He’s a total spaz.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yup that did the trick. Now I need to add resistors to slow him down I guess. He’s a total spaz.

So there is 12V output to Grogu instead of 5?

#33 2 years ago

Yes, the relay I have does not step down to 5v output. I ordered a 12v - 5v step down converter for $8 and will use that instead of the resistors. I didn't have the right resistors needed and could only get the output down to 8.5v.

Slowed him down some, but not like out of the box. It arrives on Friday so will have to wait.

#34 2 years ago

Looking forward to someone putting out a parts kit for this. Ive already got a grogu

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from MarklarD:

Looking forward to someone putting out a parts kit for this. Ive already got a grogu

https://www.facebook.com/groups/35138159505/permalink/10158571028689506/

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yes, the relay I have does not step down to 5v output. I ordered a 12v - 5v step down converter for $8 and will use that instead of the resistors. I didn't have the right resistors needed and could only get the output down to 8.5v.
Slowed him down some, but not like out of the box. It arrives on Friday so will have to wait.

I have the same issue. I didn't see anything in the PDF with regards changes required to the speed etc.
What converter did you buy, and where from? Also, how does that wire in??
Thank you in advance.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from kempsuk:

I have the same issue. I didn't see anything in the PDF with regards changes required to the speed etc.
Thank you in advance.

Or I could use this resistors, what would I need there?
Thanks again

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from kempsuk:

Thank you in advance.

I bought this step-down converter and it arrived today from Amazon. Will test it out tomorrow at some point, probably in the evening, and report back.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3MHRNO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00

And don't user resistors. Too much heat and not the way to correctly and safely get 5v.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I bought this step-down converter and it arrived today from Amazon. Will test it out tomorrow at some point, probably in the evening, and report back.
amazon.com link »
And don't user resistors. Too much heat and not the way to correctly and safely get 5v.

OK, Cool. Thank you.

#40 2 years ago

Sweet. Thanks! Looks like he says the kits should be available any day now.

#41 2 years ago

Can someone share video here? Dont have facebook.

#42 2 years ago

If I owned one of these machines and did this mod I think I'd buy 2 or 3 of those toys as spares.

#43 2 years ago

Double post - posted this in the owner thread thinking I was in this thread.

Animated Grogu testing completed with the 12v-5v converter. Tomorrow I'll button it all up nicely and install him.

Video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/d37aaKGG3pyfgiBX7

#44 2 years ago

This will b awesome

#45 2 years ago

Game Stop and Best Buy have this animated Grogu on clearance for $51, same as Amazon, but if you have points for those stores, then even better.

#46 2 years ago

Had some time this evening to finish up mounting the relay, converter and Grogu. All done. What a fantastic upgrade!

Much thanks to everyone involved with the mod!

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Had some time this evening to finish up mounting the relay, converter and Grogu. All done. What a fantastic upgrade!
Much thanks to everyone involved with the mod!

hey PoMC
Any final video? Also interested in pics on how you mounted the new modded grogu?
Thank you

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from kempsuk:

hey PoMC
Any final video? Also interested in pics on how you mounted the new modded grogu?
Thank you

Yup, here's video I took when test fitting and playing one handed. I'm streaming gameplay on FB later and will take a better video then as well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UXLkWwWuRdRkJvZt8

I mounted using the suggestion in the instructions. When you make the mod, you'll have two plastic stand-offs at the bottom front of Grogu. Slide them under the ramp protector and he stays in place. I'll probably make a mounting plate for him since the original bolt holes in the backboard from the original Grogu are there to use. But he's not going anywhere as is.

#49 2 years ago

Glad everyone is building them and enjoying doing it. My goal was here’s the jumping off point guys now let’s make it better. The prototyping is what takes weeks. I can cut a grogu down now in 25 minutes with no marks but I’ve cut too many lol. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me here or on FB. Glad the jumper got mentioned as I stated on FB the relay I used in the prototype first version has that jumper built in but it’s slightly more expensive. I didn’t realize the other version we linked it two required it. It is in the Amazon purchase ad description though.

Cheers

Joe
(AceJedi)

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Yup, here's video I took when test fitting and playing one handed. I'm streaming gameplay on FB later and will take a better video then as well.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UXLkWwWuRdRkJvZt8
I mounted using the suggestion in the instructions. When you make the mod, you'll have two plastic stand-offs at the bottom front of Grogu. Slide them under the ramp protector and he stays in place. I'll probably make a mounting plate for him since the original bolt holes in the backboard from the original Grogu are there to use. But he's not going anywhere as is.

Looks super cool! Did you mount the light censor in the same place the Acejedi suggested?
Thanks again

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 495.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

8,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pin Wiz Mods

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

There are 325 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grogu-modding-thread?hl=chrislix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.