IMG_20220503_160705035 (resized).jpg
third batch closer (resized).jpg
Grogu Ultimate Batch 3 has begun (resized).jpg
More Grogu units (resized).jpg
FEE558BF-137C-40F4-AE0B-02C4ECE65AFD (resized).jpeg
B6C97788-E495-4BF5-9613-3E53602F02EA (resized).jpeg
E7BDF792-1DB9-49E5-896C-F2FD9E96E706 (resized).jpeg
Grogu bracket (resized).jpg
There are 325 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
#251 2 years ago

I bought the "Black Box" wiring harness from Lermods, but I decided to keep my machine stock. I'll sell the box for 80 bucks and ship it for free.

1 week later
#252 2 years ago
Quoted from Tekman:

This is my implementation of the same popular animated Grogu toy mod that I’m using in my Mando premium. My design uses a microcontroller to sense when the “Child” insert LEDs on the playfield are lit and will then have Grogu do its normal random animations it would do when the toy is switched to normal mode to integrate him into the mode. It uses an interrupt that senses when the magnet on the playfield is activated and Grogu switches to the force animation mode by lifting his arm and closing his eyes like the toy normally does when switched to the force mode. I had to get creative with the internals to switch it to lift his right arm instead for the obvious reason of the ramp is in the way of the left arm. After the effect is over, I immediately have Grogu get sleepy and close his eyes for a bit, just like in the show. Lastly, when the game is over, Grogu will close his eyes and go to sleep and won’t wake up until a new game is active.
This project uses a PIC12F683 microcontroller and senses flipper activity (EOS) to set a flag that the game is actively being played. When the game is active, it monitors when the “Child” LEDs are lit and then triggers normal mode animations in a controlled manner to prevent overuse of the toy to extend its life. A reed switch is located near the magnet to sense when it is activated and sets the force mode effect next in queue. When there is no flipper activity for one minute it sets the activity flag off followed by putting Grogu to sleep. If Grogu is asleep for a while, he will wake up on his own and do a normal mode animation and immediately fall back to sleep as an attract mode every five minutes. I’m using a relay inside Grogu to trigger the capacitive touch sensor (blue) line with a capacitor switched to ground and floats when not active to start modes as if you were to touch the original metal plate inside Grogu’s head. The metal plate is permanently removed with this implementation. A second relay is used to enable the signal that the original switch on the toy would close to put Grogu in force mode. A third relay is used to open the normally closed (when upright) tilt ball sensor circuit to know when Grogu is laying on his back and this allows the control to put Grogu to sleep. I’m basically taking all the possible inputs and switch modes and bypassing them with the microcontroller and relays. At no point is the power switched off to Grogu, except for when the machine is physically turned off. All modes are configured by the appropriate configuration mode relay controlled by the microcontroller and the associated inputs and then activated by the capacitance touch relay inside Grogu to start the mode.
These toys are obviously not designed for a lot of use inside a pinball machine and using a microcontroller to do effects in a controlled manner is a great way to extend the life of the toy and make animations more special when you do see them.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is amazing! I have the basic toy triggered off the "H" and find the action less than polished during gameplay, and annoying during attract mode to the point where I turn off the game when I would prefer to have it on.

Any chance you would make this mod or kit available for sale?

#253 2 years ago

Maybe a how to guide, at the very least.

#254 2 years ago
Quoted from lock9:

This is amazing! I have the basic toy triggered off the "H" and find the action less than polished during gameplay, and annoying during attract mode to the point where I turn off the game when I would prefer to have it on.
Any chance you would make this mod or kit available for sale?

May not totally appease you, but use the child insert by the left spinner, much less active. Also, very easy to add an on/off switch if you don’t want it active in attract mode. I detailed how to do it in this thread with a short video.

#255 2 years ago

Here's my Grogu on off toggle switch with LED. Same button type as posted earlier in this thread, but with the LED indicator wired up. The button is a little too big for the tournament button hole so I used wire cutters to cut out just about 1/3 of the top of the ring the button sits in. This allows the button to fit snug and secure, still look attractive and not damage the cabinet. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I was going to solder all the connections but decided not to in case I decide to make changes in the near term. For now, all the connections are secured with tight fitting heat shrink.

1 week later
#256 2 years ago

lock9 DarthPaul Pinballpal Sorry for the lack of reply, I don’t check Pinside very often. I have no problem sharing some details on how I made it for tech savvy types. Finding the time is hard right now as I’m in the middle of a couple retro computer projects at the moment that I need to finish up. I’ll start with sharing important details from the comments of my microcontroller code that clearly explains how I'm interfacing with Grogu. Keep in mind that I use a generic mod PCB based on the PIC12F683 that I designed back 2007 that I use with most of my small projects. It uses transistors on the outputs, even when I’m using relay modules and aren’t really necessary. So, keep that in mind when you see code outputs as high from the microcontroller that it’s actually firing the relay module low.

I guess I'm not opposed to offering kits or just releasing the plans publicly for non-commercial use. I consider this an advanced project build because of modifying the arm and soldering directly to Grogu's control board. My fear is that kits might be too difficult for most and just offering schematics, wiring diagrams, and code publicly is probably just about useless to almost everyone. I really don't want to deal with offering complete builds. If I did, it would be a small run in June and probably wouldn't be cheap. What do you think is the best approach?

Grogu Mod Details.pdfGrogu Mod Details.pdf
#257 2 years ago
Quoted from Tekman:

lock9 DarthPaul Pinballpal Sorry for the lack of reply, I don’t check Pinside very often. I have no problem sharing some details on how I made it for tech savvy types. Finding the time is hard right now as I’m in the middle of a couple retro computer projects at the moment that I need to finish up. I’ll start with sharing important details from the comments of my microcontroller code that clearly explains how I'm interfacing with Grogu. Keep in mind that I use a generic mod PCB based on the PIC12F683 that I designed back 2007 that I use with most of my small projects. It uses transistors on the outputs, even when I’m using relay modules and aren’t really necessary. So, keep that in mind when you see code outputs as high from the microcontroller that it’s actually firing the relay module low.
I guess I'm not opposed to offering kits or just releasing the plans publicly for non-commercial use. I consider this an advanced project build because of modifying the arm and soldering directly to Grogu's control board. My fear is that kits might be too difficult for most and just offering schematics, wiring diagrams, and code publicly is probably just about useless to almost everyone. I really don't want to deal with offering complete builds. If I did, it would be a small run in June and probably wouldn't be cheap. What do you think is the best approach?
[quoted image]

Because of the complexity of what you are doing, in my opinion, a kit would probably be your best bet as far as the electronics go. I would like to know how you modified his arm, that seems to be something an average person would be able to do?

#258 2 years ago

Tekman Holy $**t dude! That's freakin' awesome!

#259 2 years ago
Quoted from Tekman:

[quoted image]

I'm onboard for this as well.
I like your build and would like to do it too. Looks fairly easy. I have an electronics background and you have done the heavy lifting. Thanks for anything you share.

#260 2 years ago
Quoted from Tekman:

[quoted image]

Some of the pinball companies should hire you,

3 weeks later
#261 1 year ago

Curious if anybody did a 3D printed bracket for animated Grogu? I currently have him held by a solid green wrapped copper wire (hidden underneath the coat), but it seems to move around more than I want it to. Anybody have any better solutions? I have a Ender Pro 5 printer, and tempted to model a bracket for it, but I am a 3d model newbie and it would take me some time before I figure it out.

#262 1 year ago

Hi guys, I present to you my version of the grogu.
For the story, I got loaned a mando pro to be able to work on luke's lightsaber, the lender had bought the pin with a grogu and asked me to install it.
I therefore installed the grogu but I did not like it because the grogu moves too much and randomly, it does not stop when it should and the arm blocked by the ramp, I did not like it at all.
so I reconsidered all that.
I created a program that manages so that the grogu triggers at a very precise moment, that it waits to use the force, then starts again to return to its starting position.
I used the capture of the ball for my scenario.
the ball is captured, grogu moves and stops to use the force and does not start again until the ball is released to return to its initial position.
he will therefore move 4 times maximum in a game (4 razor crest multiball)
for the position, why would you want to put it in the same position as the original ???
I rotated it 45° which allows a very simple installation and to move the arm freely, visually, it fits well and grogu is completely free (head ears and arms)
the arm that remains blocked by the ramp will inevitably cause breakage after a while.
the trigger will be done with the powering of the magnet.
it was not easy to find the right parameters so that the triggering was flawless and that there was no electromagnetic disturbance, I spent 3 days on this configuration alone.
I will have an LE model in some time and I should be able to adapt my system to the magnets of the CHILD under the board, if I succeed, and there is a good chance, the effect will be even more fantastically realistic.
this is a short video to see grogu in action, sorry for speaking french but but pictures are enough
May 4TH ........

1 week later
#263 1 year ago

Can someone please send me the link for the install instructions for the Lermods Grogu, I purchased a Mando premium and it included the mod but it’s not installed. Just need the instructions

Thank you

#264 1 year ago
Quoted from TonyScoots:

Can someone please send me the link for the install instructions for the Lermods Grogu, I purchased a Mando premium and it included the mod but it’s not installed. Just need the instructions
Thank you

I got it! Thank you

1 week later
#265 1 year ago
Quoted from F-2NIRO:

Hi guys, I present to you my version of the grogu.
For the story, I got loaned a mando pro to be able to work on luke's lightsaber, the lender had bought the pin with a grogu and asked me to install it.
I therefore installed the grogu but I did not like it because the grogu moves too much and randomly, it does not stop when it should and the arm blocked by the ramp, I did not like it at all.
so I reconsidered all that.
I created a program that manages so that the grogu triggers at a very precise moment, that it waits to use the force, then starts again to return to its starting position.
I used the capture of the ball for my scenario.
the ball is captured, grogu moves and stops to use the force and does not start again until the ball is released to return to its initial position.
he will therefore move 4 times maximum in a game (4 razor crest multiball)
for the position, why would you want to put it in the same position as the original ???
I rotated it 45° which allows a very simple installation and to move the arm freely, visually, it fits well and grogu is completely free (head ears and arms)
the arm that remains blocked by the ramp will inevitably cause breakage after a while.
the trigger will be done with the powering of the magnet.
it was not easy to find the right parameters so that the triggering was flawless and that there was no electromagnetic disturbance, I spent 3 days on this configuration alone.
I will have an LE model in some time and I should be able to adapt my system to the magnets of the CHILD under the board, if I succeed, and there is a good chance, the effect will be even more fantastically realistic.
this is a short video to see grogu in action, sorry for speaking french but but pictures are enough
May 4TH ........

Awesome. Can’t wait to see more

#266 1 year ago

Adding another $5 board and wiring to a rollover stops all the attract mode drama and slows him down so he's not freaking out under the glass..

#267 1 year ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

Adding another $5 board and wiring to a rollover stops all the attract mode drama and slows him down so he's not freaking out under the glass..

Sounds like a cost-effective solution. I'm curious about the specifics, where'd you find the board, how it's wired, which roll over, etc. I love the mod but Grogu looks like he's on crack.

#268 1 year ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Sounds like a cost-effective solution. I'm curious about the specifics, where'd you find the board, how it's wired, which roll over, etc. I love the mod but Grogu looks like he's on crack.

Shoot me a PM.. ill send you the info. Include your #.. easier to text pics. The difference is amazing. Mine only runs for 4 secs (I can decide the length of time), and moves naturally. Mine is triggered on the "I" in child by the rollover.

1 week later
#269 1 year ago

hi guys. what's the difference between the wiring harness or the full kit from lermods?? does the does ground had to be modified to move or the full kit is an actual replacement of the stock group on the mandalorian pinball??

cheers

#270 1 year ago
Quoted from richierich85:

hi guys. what's the difference between the wiring harness or the full kit from lermods?? does the does ground had to be modified to move or the full kit is an actual replacement of the stock group on the mandalorian pinball??
cheers

The wiring harness is for those who want to buy and modify their own grogu. The full kit includes the harness and modified grogu, plug and play.

#271 1 year ago

I started working on making six of my complete animated Grogu mods. This is an update from my previous post #246 and #256. I went ahead and created 3D printed mounting brackets to make things easier since I’m going to make a run or two of these. I currently have everything required to interface Grogu with the machine completed except for the Grogu’s internals at the moment. I also tweaked the microcontroller code a tad and made a couple changes in the wiring to make it cleaner and easier to install compared to my initial prototype configuration. There is no soldering required and everything is plug and play along with Grogu using the original factory mounting holes and screws in the back panel.

These are completely integrated and all modes are triggered by the machine. There is ‘Normal’ random effect mode when the left and/or right child LEDs are lit while the game is active just like originally triggering the actual toy with a touch of a hand. This mode is utilized in a controlled manner as to not overwork the doll for a longer life of the toy. Less is more in this case and makes the effects more special. There is a ‘Force’ mode that utilizes an interrupt when the magnet is triggered causing Grogu to queue start force mode by raising his right arm followed by getting sleepy and closing his eyes briefly, like in the show. When the machine is idle for approximately one minute, it will enter sleep mode and Grogu will close his eyes and do his sleep breathing effect with very slight head rocks for a few seconds followed staying still with his eyes shut after the game is over and sitting idle. He will remain this way until a new game is started or during attract modes generated in code when the machine sits unused for a while followed by falling asleep again. Grogu is always powered on with the machine and all modes completed in a controlled manner and there is no Grogu seizure looking effects like we see with other mods by forcing power on and off to the motor.

This has been very time consuming so far and haven’t even gotten to modifying the Grogu’s yet. I expect to have units available some time in July. No idea on price yet. I've had bad luck with overseas shipment recently and will probably limit these to the US and Canada.

Parts 1 (resized).jpgParts 1 (resized).jpgParts 2 (resized).jpgParts 2 (resized).jpgParts 3 (resized).jpgParts 3 (resized).jpgWiring and brackets (resized).jpgWiring and brackets (resized).jpg
#272 1 year ago

Almost forgot to show that Grogu's necklace has glowing green eyes. I use a clear 3D printed LED holder bracket and black shroud to defuse the single LED light to both eyes.

Nacklace Eyes LED holder (resized).jpgNacklace Eyes LED holder (resized).jpgNecklace Eyes (resized).jpgNecklace Eyes (resized).jpg
#273 1 year ago
Quoted from arcadem:

I just installed Lermod's Grogu MOD and Bob sure made it easy peasy to do. The prewired, 'black box' that he uses is great and the MOD was shipped very quickly. I did have a heck of a time trying to situate the doll so that his movements were not impeded, especially his head by the bottom of the backbox. But, by refolding his cape (a lot of excess material on the bottom that 'raised' him up) and using a small gauge wire to keep him in place, I was finally able to place him so that everything that is supposed to move can do so and not bind up. LERMOD did a fine job in creating a turn key approach and I can recommend it as the MOD does add to the game's fun factor. But, it certainly does stay 'active', maybe a bit too much for my tastes. I have the sensor located on the 'c' (child) led but I am going to experiment with placing it on different LED's to see if I can reduce the frequency of its movements so that they become an 'event' when activated as opposed to an almost continuous 'activity'. Kind of like, maybe, a mode unto itself. Anyway, just my 2 cents fwiw.

I just installed mine. Is his head not supposed to touch the back box at all? I basically have him wedged in there.

#274 1 year ago
Quoted from Manderko1:

I just installed mine. Is his head not supposed to touch the back box at all? I basically have him wedged in there.

His head should clear the top of the cabinet, but it is very close.

#275 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

His head should clear the top of the cabinet, but it is very close.

Awesome. I was able to get him in there better. Thanks for the heads up

1 week later
#276 1 year ago

I got sidetracked on other projects, but I'm slowly getting closer to the finish line and now have the Grogu internals modified minus final wiring. The tilt ball sensor bypass control lines are in place for sleep mode and all necessary cutting of internal frame and custom 3D printed bracket to allow moving the force arm effect to the left side is now complete. The mode trigger relay to bypass the capacitance touch to start effects is now mounted on a custom 3D printed bracket where the original speaker mounting holes were located. I still need to finish some internal wiring, modify the arms, and wire the necklaces. I might still tweak the code just a smidge more before final release.

20220623_074901 (resized).jpg20220623_074901 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#277 1 year ago
Quoted from Tekman:

I got sidetracked on other projects, but I'm slowly getting closer to the finish line and now have the Grogu internals modified minus final wiring. The tilt ball sensor bypass control lines are in place for sleep mode and all necessary cutting of internal frame and custom 3D printed bracket to allow moving the force arm effect to the left side is now complete. The mode trigger relay to bypass the capacitance touch to start effects is now mounted on a custom 3D printed bracket where the original speaker mounting holes were located. I still need to finish some internal wiring, modify the arms, and wire the necklaces. I might still tweak the code just a smidge more before final release.
[quoted image]

will these be for sale?

#278 1 year ago
Quoted from richierich85:

will these be for sale?

Yes, I’m making five of these to sell in the first round. The sixth one is mine and will also be used as a reference for future builds. I already have a list of people who expressed interest early on and they will get first dibs. Whenever I first release a new mod/product that is as extensive as this, either it be pinball or retro computer related, I only ship the first batch to buyers in the US first. Although I’ve never had issues (knock on wood) with any of my builds in the past fifteen plus years or so because I take my time and do lots of testing, I just do this to play it safe if the situation was to ever happen to make it easier to deal with. After the first round, it's open to everyone who's willing to pay for priority mail with insurance, which is not cheap outside the US.

I still don't have a price set yet. These things have proven to be extremely time consuming to build up. Everything from populating the controller PCBs, a bunch of wire, connectors, 3d printed parts, and extensive modifications to the Grogu toy to tie it all together. Every signal and sensor of the original Grogu PCB gets integrated for complete control by my microcontroller PCB controller. I do have the microcontroller code in the final release state and is absolutely amazing to see it in action in the machine. To do this, there are wiring harnesses that connect all the way to the flipper, child L&R LED boards, reed switch mounted near the magnet, inside Grogu, controller, and relay board. Grogu's internals are modified and rearranged with custom brackets to now have the right arm lift for force mode when the magnet fires, He'll fall asleep briefly after using the force and will fall asleep when inactive for over after a minute when the game is over. Child LEDs will start normal random effects in a time controlled manner for smooth integration and not to be overused. There is even an attract mode where he will wake up and do a random effect and fall back asleep when the machine sits idle long enough. The best thing is I have designed it so everything has a connector to tap signals needed and no soldering is needed anywhere.

Next up is to shorten Grogu's clothes and add the clips to the the necklace power lines and do final testing of each complete unit kit inside the machine.

Animated Grogu (resized).jpgAnimated Grogu (resized).jpgGrogu back (resized).jpgGrogu back (resized).jpgGrogu bracket (resized).jpgGrogu bracket (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#279 1 year ago

Just wanted to share the job my head scenic artist did on my Grogu! Still waiting to figure out the best electronics solution for him, but he is looking amazing!

I own a theming company and we do props and set pieces for theme parks here in Central Florida, but primarily super high end themed rooms in homes. The artist that did this did a TON of Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge pieces too. I love it. Just need to figure out the best solution for electronics. My effects master could do it but he is always swamped with other projects, so I’ll most likely be buying something someone else has already developed. Hope everyone digs it!

B6C97788-E495-4BF5-9613-3E53602F02EA (resized).jpegB6C97788-E495-4BF5-9613-3E53602F02EA (resized).jpegE7BDF792-1DB9-49E5-896C-F2FD9E96E706 (resized).jpegE7BDF792-1DB9-49E5-896C-F2FD9E96E706 (resized).jpegFEE558BF-137C-40F4-AE0B-02C4ECE65AFD (resized).jpegFEE558BF-137C-40F4-AE0B-02C4ECE65AFD (resized).jpeg
#280 1 year ago

That looks great. Awesome work, but wonder how that will look together with the more stylistic art from Randy. I always think that parts that look to realistic are not in line with the cartoon/drawing style that is on Mando. It is a thin line. That said I would love to see some of those super high end rooms. Always looking for inspiration.

#281 1 year ago
Quoted from PurpleTophat:

so I’ll most likely be buying something someone else has already developed. Hope everyone digs it!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

are you aware of my version, my post on this page ?
I also made the version for the premium and LE, the scenario is the following, when the CHILD is activated, as soon as the ball is captured, grogu activates, he raises his arm closes his eyes to exercise the force, the ball is released and swirls, then when the magnet cuts, grogu starts moving again and returns to its initial position.
I have not yet had the opportunity to make a video with an LE.
this system is based on a program that we have coded, there is no Chinese or other timer, the triggering information is carried out using a magnetic sensor, we spent a lot of time to find the right one threshold so that the action is never missed and not disturbed by the surrounding magnetism.

#282 1 year ago
Quoted from PeterG:

That looks great. Awesome work, but wonder how that will look together with the more stylistic art from Randy. I always think that parts that look to realistic are not in line with the cartoon/drawing style that is on Mando. It is a thin line. That said I would love to see some of those super high end rooms. Always looking for inspiration.

I thought about that for about 3 seconds, but it instantly came down to cheap crappy single color toy vs realistic Grogu…no contest, no matter what the rest of the machine looks like. The Razor Crest isn’t highly stylized. Besides, the Grogu artwork on the machine is in my opinion its biggest failure so I want to make up for that as much as I can with a really awesome animated Grogu. But, that’s me.

#283 1 year ago

First batch of units are sold out. I built up the electronics for the next batch and now it's time to start the wiring harnesses. Expecting more units in a few weeks if time permits.
Each one of my Grogu mods have 5 custom 3D printed brackets, harnesses have 34’ of wire and 20 connectors, custom microcontroller PCB, single relay PCB, dual relay PCB, reed switch assembly, all mounting brackets, and hardware. It is completely plug and play without any modifications to the pinball machine or soldering for the end user, significant internal modifications to the Grogu doll to use its right arm for Force mode, and 209 lines of code in the PIC microcontroller to make it all professionally integrated and of the highest quality.

These take days each to build and thoroughly test and I will not be able to offer these often. I slip these in rotation amongst other project and real life when I can.

Normal Child LEDs Active Mode

Magnet Force Mode

Game Over Falling Asleep

More Grogu units (resized).jpgMore Grogu units (resized).jpg
1 week later
#284 1 year ago

I installed Tekmans mod earlier this week, replacing an earlier Grogu mod.

Honest take from a random guy who emailed Tekman out of the blue a while back expressing interest- this mod is *awesome*. Movements are so much more tightly controlled and not constantly in motion. He reacts to various events in the game, I can tell there was plenty of code with this. It just feels like he's now truly part of the pin. The moving arm is no longer trapped under the ramp, now relocated to the right side and free. Includes built in mounting hardware so no more movement of the entire body.

When the ball hits the magnet, his arm raises and eyes close. The attract mode is SO much better now, goes to "sleep" and briefly wakes up on occasion during attract.

I also want to compliment the nice job done on not just the relay and microcontroller box, but the entire harness and node board connectors perfectly match the Stern harness, his ID stickers even match Sterns yellow ID stickers. The whole thing is just pulled off extremely well.

1 week later
#285 1 year ago
Quoted from Tekman:

First batch of units are sold out. I built up the electronics for the next batch and now it's time to start the wiring harnesses. Expecting more units in a few weeks if time permits.
Each one of my Grogu mods have 5 custom 3D printed brackets, harnesses have 34’ of wire and 20 connectors, custom microcontroller PCB, single relay PCB, dual relay PCB, reed switch assembly, all mounting brackets, and hardware. It is completely plug and play without any modifications to the pinball machine or soldering for the end user, significant internal modifications to the Grogu doll to use its right arm for Force mode, and 209 lines of code in the PIC microcontroller to make it all professionally integrated and of the highest quality.
These take days each to build and thoroughly test and I will not be able to offer these often. I slip these in rotation amongst other project and real life when I can.
Normal Child LEDs Active Mode
Magnet Force Mode
Game Over Falling Asleep
[quoted image]

Like the improvements you have made to the interaction with the game.
What is the price of your mod and availability?

#286 1 year ago
Quoted from jhagen:

I installed Tekmans mod earlier this week, replacing an earlier Grogu mod.
Honest take from a random guy who emailed Tekman out of the blue a while back expressing interest- this mod is *awesome*. Movements are so much more tightly controlled and not constantly in motion. He reacts to various events in the game, I can tell there was plenty of code with this. It just feels like he's now truly part of the pin. The moving arm is no longer trapped under the ramp, now relocated to the right side and free. Includes built in mounting hardware so no more movement of the entire body.
When the ball hits the magnet, his arm raises and eyes close. The attract mode is SO much better now, goes to "sleep" and briefly wakes up on occasion during attract.
I also want to compliment the nice job done on not just the relay and microcontroller box, but the entire harness and node board connectors perfectly match the Stern harness, his ID stickers even match Sterns yellow ID stickers. The whole thing is just pulled off extremely well.

Agreed, this mod is fantastic, just got mine going. “Less is more” is definitely true, the effect here is subtle and far more realistic. My only question is how long it should take for the Force move to kick in after the magnet turns on? I feel like this takes several (4-5?) seconds, often even after I’ve drained (I’m not good

#287 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

Agreed, this mod is fantastic, just got mine going. “Less is more” is definitely true, the effect here is subtle and far more realistic. My only question is how long it should take for the Force move to kick in after the magnet turns on? I feel like this takes several (4-5?) seconds, often even after I’ve drained (I’m not good

Glad you’re liking it. The force mode effect uses an interrupt to queue the effect next in line. So, if there is no other effect happening at the time, it will start right away. Right away being my interface immediately configuring the proper configuration for the factory controller inside Grogu’s head to start. So there is about 1.5 seconds (triggering three relays in proper sequence and timing for force effect) for that to be accomplish before it starts the factory force mode sequence. If a child normal mode effect was already in progress, the force mode interrupt will speed up the current mode as fast as possible, while still playing nice as not to not confuse the factory controller inside Grogu’s head before force configuration and mode can begin. This is what you must be seeing for it to take over 2 seconds to start force mode. You are having some serious fast ball times if Grogu can't keep up.

#288 1 year ago
Quoted from Tekman:

Glad you’re liking it. The force mode effect uses an interrupt to queue the effect next in line. So, if there is no other effect happening at the time, it will start right away. Right away being my interface immediately configuring the proper configuration for the factory controller inside Grogu’s head to start. So there is about 1.5 seconds (triggering three relays in proper sequence and timing for force effect) for that to be accomplish before it starts the factory force mode sequence. If a child normal mode effect was already in progress, the force mode interrupt will speed up the current mode as fast as possible, while still playing nice as not to not confuse the factory controller inside Grogu’s head before force configuration and mode can begin. This is what you must be seeing for it to take over 2 seconds to start force mode. You are having some serious fast ball times if Grogu can't keep up.

Thanks for the explanation! I like to think about what’s going on behind the scenes here, clearly a lot of thinking and effort. I think I was hoping he might lift his arm while the ball was still up in that area magnetized but makes sense that it needs to clear out a queue first.

Makes me want to learn more about to do this kind of tinkering. Great work, again!

#289 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

Thanks for the explanation! I like to think about what’s going on behind the scenes here, clearly a lot of thinking and effort. I think I was hoping he might lift his arm while the ball was still up in that area magnetized but makes sense that it needs to clear out a queue first.
Makes me want to learn more about to do this kind of tinkering. Great work, again!

Thanks. I'll offer some more detail that might help explain what is going on when modes happen and the restrictions to work with.

It would be nice if that kind of reaction was possible, but it just isn't. Only if the actual Mando code was changed to hold the ball at the magnet for a period of time would allow that to work. Mando code just doesn't have a reason to hold the ball, unlike other games that need to fully complete some effect that do.

In the back of an unaltered factory Grogu, there is a mode switch (normal-off-force) that needs to be flipped to do force and normal mode. In development, it was quickly discovered that it wasn't possible to force opposite modes on each other because the factory controller inside Grogu's head can't handle that and can even lock up. So, there is sweet spot in my external controller code if you will that makes all these things happen safely. For example, this is the reason you can't abruptly switch to force when the magnet was activated while normal mode is still currently in effect and why force had to be placed in queue next. With that said, my controller still knows if that situation has occurred and will speed up the normal mode timer to finish the effect sooner to safely get to force as soon as it can. When normal mode is not in effect and the magnet is activated, you are seeing the fastest scenario for the doll to start force mode and is very close to what the factory doll can do when switched to force mode and then touching the head. It's just that the doll's factory controller has it doing stuff before getting to raising it's arm and makes the process seem longer than ideal. So given the circumstances, the force effect is the best effort for what we have to work with.

#290 1 year ago

Following this thread. Making me want a Mandalorian Pro even more right now....

2 weeks later
#291 1 year ago

Grogu Ultimate batch 3 has begun.

Grogu Ultimate Batch 3 has begun (resized).jpgGrogu Ultimate Batch 3 has begun (resized).jpg
1 week later
#292 1 year ago

Batch 3 is getting closer to the finish line..

third batch closer (resized).jpgthird batch closer (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#293 1 year ago

I have a few Grogu Ultimate units ready to ship. https://lundyelectronics.com/product/grogu-ultimate/

#294 1 year ago

I installed Tekman's Ultimate Grogu mod in my Mando this weekend.

A great bit of kit and built so well. From the instructions to the wiring and even the way it was packed is meticulous.
I can see Tekman really takes pride in his work and has developed something special for the Mando fans.

The kids loved him come to life and the old Grogu has found his place as a topper. (At least until I find US$2000)

Well done and thanks again.

#295 1 year ago
Quoted from Boosted:

I installed Tekman's Ultimate Grogu mod in my Mando this weekend.
A great bit of kit and built so well. From the instructions to the wiring and even the way it was packed is meticulous.
I can see Tekman really takes pride in his work and has developed something special for the Mando fans.
The kids loved him come to life and the old Grogu has found his place as a topper. (At least until I find US$2000)
Well done and thanks again.

How was the install? Seems pretty straight forward after reading the instructions. What’s your thought on how it works?

#296 1 year ago
Quoted from Mberry72:

How was the install? Seems pretty straight forward after reading the instructions. What’s your thought on how it works?

Yes, very straight forward as all the wiring looms are clearly labelled, connectors make it hard to go wrong and the instructions are clear.

The bracket on his back is custom made so he slips right into the correct spot. His clothes needed a little adjustment to clear the moving parts (head and arm).

You will need to predrill 3 small screw holes for the relay and reed switch. I got the position of the reed switch right the first time but can see how this could need adjustment to get right. The instructions clarify this.

Be careful with the flipper alligator clip contact. My switch contacts were very close and I paid particular attention that it was in the right spot so any large movements of the pin wouldn't short the switch circuit.

I took my time making sure everything looked nice with the zip ties and after testing I would say it will take you about 90 minutes.

He works well compared to some of the other designs on the market I've researched, however as mentioned earlier in the thread there is some delay with the force mode and magnet due to limitations with the Grogu robotics?

#297 1 year ago
Quoted from Boosted:

Yes, very straight forward as all the wiring looms are clearly labelled, connectors make it hard to go wrong and the instructions are clear.
The bracket on his back is custom made so he slips right into the correct spot. His clothes needed a little adjustment to clear the moving parts (head and arm).
You will need to predrill 3 small screw holes for the relay and reed switch. I got the position of the reed switch right the first time but can see how this could need adjustment to get right. The instructions clarify this.
Be careful with the flipper alligator clip contact. My switch contacts were very close and I paid particular attention that it was in the right spot so any large movements of the pin wouldn't short the switch circuit.
I took my time making sure everything looked nice with the zip ties and after testing I would say it will take you about 90 minutes.
He works well compared to some of the other designs on the market I've researched, however as mentioned earlier in the thread there is some delay with the force mode and magnet due to limitations with the Grogu robotics?

I’m glad your install went well and thank you for sharing your experience with the group!

I wish Grogu could be faster to react to the magnet force. I’m using an interrupt in the microcontroller and the magnet is being sensed immediately. Unfortunately, there are four things at play that doesn’t allow Grogu to start the arm movement the instant the magnet is fired.

1 – The internal factory controller inside Grogu’s head isn’t designed to abruptly change modes. In the back of the toy, there is a switch to select normal or force mode effects, with off in between. My controller has to play nice with the factory controller’s limitations in order to safely switch modes via relays, including the sleep sensor and touch sensor both requiring a dedicated relay . If I switch modes too quickly, the internal controller will error out and lock up. There’s even more to it than that, but this is the short version.

2 – I’m forced to queue the start of force mode in the event a normal mode effect was already in effect and then have to speed the current mode up as fast as possible, but not too fast in order for the toy to safely switch to force mode.

3 – The internal factory controller has Grogu briefly moves his head a bit with a small delay before raising the arm. This just amplifies the overall delay to get the mode started and is out of my control.

4 – The biggest limitation of all. Unlike many games that will hold the ball at the magnet to perform some sort of effect, the Mando magnet doesn’t hold the ball and I don’t have the luxury of being able to take advantage of the extra time for the best effect.

If anyone is interested, I still have two units available on my website at lundyelectronics.com.

#298 1 year ago

One unit left. I should have more in mid December time frame. Visit https://lundyelectronics.com/product-category/pinball/

#299 1 year ago

Highly recommended!!! Install took me less than an hour.

#300 1 year ago

This batch is now sold out. I'll have more in December.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

4,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 22.95
$ 19.95
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 35.00
Lighting - Backbox
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JK Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 325 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grogu-modding-thread/page/6?hl=jaylar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.