Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Sea_Wolf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Been sorting out minor issues with Gridiron and its coming along nicely. New issue, and I don't know where to start. Game re-sets and plays as it should, scoring appears to be correct....but I could be wrong on that. Issue is, all of the "when lit" bonus lights are always on, only a temporary flicker off when score motor rotates. Found switch on stack on scoring motor, isolated it with paper between contacts, all lights went off and stayed off regardless of hitting targets, remove paper and all lights stay on, regardless of hitting targets. Like I said scoring appears to be correct and score motor appears to be working properly. Manual w/schematic has not arrived yet. All help appreciated. Thanks

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from llphil67:

Issue is, all of the "when lit" bonus lights are always on, only a temporary flicker off when score motor rotates.

This may well be the intended behavior. In the mid-1970s, Gottlieb got more strict about turning off "when lit" inserts or bumper lights if the score motor was turning. Note the related anecdote at https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1089 about the score motor.
.................David Marston

#3 1 year ago

Normal behavior for a Gottlieb, that's why it says "when lit".

#4 1 year ago

Normal as dmarston and Garrett pointed out. You can watch this YouTube video to see for yourself what it should be doing.

Note: not all YouTube pinball videos are accurate but this channel is.

#5 1 year ago

OK then, guess everything is working as it should. Just seemed to me that to get (light up) "when lit" one would have to do something first. Perhaps this is one of those quirks people talk about when discussing Gotts. This is only my second Gott EM to venture into, so still on the learning curve. Thanks again to everyone who offers their help. I'm getting better, but still need lots of help when stuck. Thanks guys.

#6 1 year ago

The “When Lit” indications on targets informs the player that the machine will not register a hit on a target when the motor is already turning and scoring a previous hit…. the targets’ lights should go out during this period.

As an example, if you hit a “50 Yards and 5000” top rollover, drop onto the pop bumper and get knocked through the “50 Yards and 5000” side rollover, the machine will start the motor in response to the first rollover and begin counting up your yards and points. During this process, additional scoring is disabled. The machine (likely) will not register the second or third score while still in the act of scoring the first.

For Gridiron specifically, while the motor is turning - pops, rollovers, 1 point targets, 100 point targets, the spinner and kicking rubber switches are ignored, or, more accurately, are ignored if your Motor 1C switches are adjusted correctly.

Gridiron is unique in that there is one exception to this rule - the outlane Touchdown. The touchdown will be queued and scored appropriately even if the motor was turning as the touchdown rollover was hit.

#7 1 year ago

I remember that from when I had a Gridiron - *every* rollover lamp is always on except for motor runs, i.e. 'when lit'. Gridiron is a total point scoring game so doesn't have any logic involved with the rollovers, pretty unusual. Mine was in mint condition too, was made right in that era where solid state games had quickly taken over and a lot of the final bunch of EMs were retired very very early.

#8 1 year ago

Yep, you guys have described exactly whats going on. My son and I played a few games on it last night....love it! Gotta say after working on this and Sky Jump I really like the Gotts, the design from a maintenence perspective is nice and I just love that old time feel and sound that is not as prominent in my Williams and Ballys. Gonna have to get some more, would like to find a basketball and billiards themed machine, any suggestions? Thanks again

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from llphil67:

Yep, you guys have described exactly whats going on. My son and I played a few games on it last night....love it! Gotta say after working on this and Sky Jump I really like the Gotts, the design from a maintenence perspective is nice and I just love that old time feel and sound that is not as prominent in my Williams and Ballys. Gonna have to get some more, would like to find a basketball and billiards themed machine, any suggestions? Thanks again

Not so much on EM Basketball titles but a really fun early solid state machine is Bally’s Harlem Globetrotters.

Lots of great billiards themed Gottlieb pins.

Sure Shot/ Bank Shot
Big Shot/ Hot Shot/ Pro Pool
Target Pool/ Mini Pool
Bank a Ball

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gridiron-when-lit-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.