Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Honch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

whoa-nellie-slings.jpg
    whoa-nellie.jpg
    skate.jpg
    There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

I thought Greg was with JJP? He is an awesome artist, he did Skateball, which is one of the greatest backglasses of all time

skate.jpgskate.jpg

#2 11 years ago

IT'S A COUP!!!!

#3 11 years ago

I would imagine he is much like a freelance artist and finished everything he had to do on WoZ so he "booked the next gig".

At least that's the way I'm reading it.

#4 11 years ago

+1 to freelance. Its a good sign though. This could mean actual original art and not cut and paste google image pf's

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

I would imagine he is much like a freelance artist and finished everything he had to do on WoZ so he "booked the next gig".
    At least that's the way I'm reading it.

Yeah, exactly...once he finished the art for WOZ, it's not like he was just sitting around twiddling his thumbs at Jersey Jack. I think it's kinda funny that Stern didn't mention his work on WOZ at all in the press release....lol....c'mon.

#6 11 years ago

Skateball was my first pin. That backglass is CLASSIC!

#7 11 years ago

Cue the inevitable "Does this mean JJP is a failure??" comment

#8 11 years ago

Response from Jack (from JJP message board):

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

All is GREAT!

Greg is a contractor - he was not an employee. His job with us was
    over - he is free to do what he likes as a Contractor.

We have hired a very well known pinball artist who is already working
    on game #2.

Greg's business is Greg's business. He did an amazing job for us and
    we wish him and his family the absolute best.

~Jack

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

on game #2.

I guess they are working on game # 2!!

great for both companies and good for pinball...

#10 11 years ago

I mean cue "The Boys are Back in Town" ... the WMS team is back. I know , but it feels like it is getting closer.

#11 11 years ago

I wonder if Greg is working on Avengers art

#12 11 years ago

Does this mean the return of Giant Chests on women of pinball?

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Response from Jack (from JJP message board):
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

on game #2.

~Jack

Do you think he's spending WOZ money on game #2 development? What?! How can he do that?! He hasn't delivered WOZ yet!!!

Dave

#14 11 years ago

Hope so : ). Re chests

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

I thought Greg was with JJP? He is an awesome artist, he did Skateball, which is one of the greatest backglasses of all time

I agree he's great. I love Fathom art (not the gameplay so much) and all the Nordman stuff (PZ, Dr D, and the Elviras)

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from dmesserly:

Do you think he's spending WOZ money on game #2 development? What?! How can he do that?! He hasn't delivered WOZ yet!!! []

Dave

i am sure he is spending his own money and will get it back in spades if his games are succesful
    The WOZ money is spent on WOZ, everything is in there but the kitchen sink!

#17 11 years ago

I love Greg's work can't wait to see what he comes up with at Stern..hopefully it's something real good

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from islandpinball:

i am sure he is spending his own money and will get it back in spades if his games are succesful
    The WOZ money is spent on WOZ, everything is in there but the kitchen sink!

How can you be sure? Anyway, my comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek because that's what everyone says about Jpop's games.

#19 11 years ago

JPOP is making games

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

I am sure he was just contracting for JJP.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I wonder if Greg is working on Avengers art

I'd imagine due to the licence Disney will insist its movie based and images/material directly from the film and other movies are used so would that give Greg enough freedom to work his magic?

#22 11 years ago

Isn't it odd that in 2009 Stern had a mass layoff, and in the last year or so they've hired like 4-5 new employees?

More overhead = more games, or just higher costs? Does the employee staff just reflect the recent demand for pinball?

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Isn't it odd that in 2009 Stern had a mass layoff, and in the last year or so they've hired like 4-5 new employees?

I wouldn't call it odd.. there's been a huge resurgence in pinball

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from islandpinball:

JPOP is making games

Yep. He's made as many as JJP.

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah, exactly...once he finished the art for WOZ, it's not like he was just sitting around twiddling his thumbs at Jersey Jack. I think it's kinda funny that Stern didn't mention his work on WOZ at all in the press release....lol....c'mon.

Where is the press release? I want to read it. Please!

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Isn't it odd that in 2009 Stern had a mass layoff

Economy nosedived in 2008. Revenue is calculated annually. My currently employer also laid off in 2008/2009. Lots of companies did.

#29 11 years ago

Thanks guys. Kind of happy for Stern and kind of bummed for JJP. Very Happy for Greg. His art is awesome IMHO.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from dmesserly:

I love Fathom art

one of the best.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

on game #2.

Maybe Doug Watson?

#32 11 years ago

I hope artist #2 is Python Anghelo, he rules Obviously it won't be...

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Only if Gary had read The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.

#34 11 years ago

Kind of a bummer. I love Greg's work (including WOZ) and was hoping he was going to be a part of the 2nd pin from JJP(Evira #3, anyone?). Of course, that's assuming they make a second pin. I'll definitely be interested to see what he does for Stern.

#35 11 years ago

Greg did the artwork for this new vodka label. The distillery has a couple of pinball machines in it. Very cool people and good booze.

http://www.syntaxspirits.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/ClassV_A.jpg

Home page for Syntax Spirits: http://www.syntaxspirits.com/

Kim

#36 11 years ago

Which means this is now invalid:

With Greg and Dennis together again, could there be a JJP game in their future? The answer is "yes” there is, in the form of game #2. This pinball will not have a licensed theme, but be something totally original.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

With Greg and Dennis together again, could there be a JJP game in their future? The answer is "yes” there is, in the form of game #2. This pinball will not have a licensed theme, but be something totally original.

Oh, now why would you want to go and bring facts into this?

#38 11 years ago

Interesting indeed?

#39 11 years ago

JJP only had the one mustache and then they were done with his artistic skills.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Huh?

Why would that even remotely surprise you? Never mind the fact that it is a competitor, it is a pin that hasn't even been released yet. I would have been way more surprised if they *did* mention it than I am by the fact that they didn't.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Who are you quoting here??

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

I love the weirdness of his art, I just don't see it as having appeal on a new 7k game.

#43 11 years ago

That's still posted along with Greg's photo in the team section of the JJP website.

#44 11 years ago

Elephant in the room. So he is not working on game 2 and went to Stern. Just saying...

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Elephant in the room. So he is not working on game 2 and went to Stern. Just saying...

Probably because game #2 is The Hobbit.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

That's still posted along with Greg's photo in the team section of the JJP website.

Thanks, indeed it is:

***1/25/011: JERSEY JACK PINBALL ANNOUNCES THE HIRING OF PLAYFIELD ARTIST GREG FRERES.

Jersey Jack Pinball continues to build a pinball-experienced team for its first game, The Wizard of Oz. News from Jersey Jack Pinball reveals the recent addition of yet another Pinball Great, Artist Greg Freres.

Greg designed the art package for a number of games from Bally and then Bally/Williams including Bally’s Rolling Stones, Skateball, No Fear, Revenge From Mars, and, with designer Dennis Nordman, Elvira and the Party Monsters, Dr. Dude and Scared Stiff.

While we know that established sci-fi/fantasy artist Jerry Vanderstelt (Lord of the Rings and Elvis pinball) will be doing the backglass and cabinet art for The Wizard of Oz, Greg has been brought on board to produce the playfield art for the game. Successful playfield art is best achieved by an experienced artist who understands the interaction between the playfield elements and the ball as well as facilitating communication with the player. Greg’s experience in the creative pinball process makes him a valuable addition to JJP.

"Having Greg brings us the best of the best for playfield Art, Plastic Set, Decal Set and for overall game ideas. He is the best and that's exactly what we need for our games." stated Jack Guarnieri

With Greg and Dennis together again, could there be a JJP game in their future? The answer is "yes” there is, in the form of game #2. This pinball will not have a licensed theme, but be something totally original.***

Of all the pins listed in his credits, how the heck do they not list MM? Some of the best art ever done imo.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Probably because game #2 is The Hobbit.

Quoted from RobT:

With Greg and Dennis together again, could there be a JJP game in their future? The answer is "yes” there is, in the form of game #2.

#48 11 years ago

^ You do realize that the JJP press release that I quoted is from January 2011, right?

#49 11 years ago

Like I said... Game #2 is a licensed pin by the name of "The Hobbit". So the game #2 referenced in the year and a half old post above has long since fallen by the wayside. In the end Jack realized the value of working with a license when making these games.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

I love the weirdness of his art, I just don't see it as having appeal on a new 7k game.

I think it's quite the opposite. I probably wouldn't consider a NIB pin, without the quality of something like Greg's artwork.

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greg-freres-stern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.