8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by leckmeck
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 19 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20181009_205718_resized (resized).jpg
    F9F6D24F-854B-4A20-BAF0-6CF7C2AD0B77 (resized).jpeg
    6DF0E40D-1C20-4BF4-82BC-9E5930C9965C (resized).jpeg
    A67AF1D1-F748-4496-BA4F-1344CDCCBAD0 (resized).jpeg
    20181008_194338 (resized).jpg
    20181008_194945 (resized).jpg
    image-16 (resized).jpg
    image-17 (resized).jpg
    a37402143438caa98ed6eb92b98620d26d27fcfb (resized).jpg
    DSC09619 (resized).JPG
    cert (resized).JPG
    Gottlieb_Joker_Poker_SS_08283.pdf (PDF preview)
    20171111_155804 (resized).jpg
    test2.pdf (PDF preview)
    Certificate (resized).JPG
    Gottlieb-Northlake-Certificate (resized).png

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 months ago

Lately I've been getting requests for the green Gottlieb manufacturers certificate.
    The green Gottlieb certificates are very hard to recreate.
    There are so many lines and they are also very wavy and near to each other.
    I would need a very high res scan of one to be able to create a reproduction.
    Not to use as a base, but to re-draw the image.
    Using a scan as a base would not do, because the lines would blurr into one big green blob.
    I think it would take me days to create this kind of file.
    I also need to know the size for the certificate.
    Please let me know IF you can provide such a scan.

Kind regards,
    Peter
    www.inkochnito.nl
    inkochnito at gmail dot com

#2 8 months ago

Just curious which one are we talking about? Cause someone posted a re-creation of what I thought was the green one a while ago. This is the one I was gonna use for my pins. Is it not high enough quality/ faulty in some way or is this another kind we're talking about? 457b988cd4626180df48067bec1dce90d57bf870 (resized).jpg

#3 8 months ago
    Quoted from KingofKoopas:

Just curious which one are we talking about? Cause someone posted a re-creation of what I thought was the green one a while ago. This is the one I was gonna use for my pins. Is it not high enough quality/ faulty in some way or is this another kind we're talking about? [quoted image]

nope, I sent him this image, he want something better. i need to check my 15 games asnd see if there is something better to scan

#4 8 months ago

Someone needs to scan at 2400 DPI and line detection turned on, and do it black and white, gray scale and full color to find out which works best for him. Or at least that is my honest opinion.

#5 8 months ago

www.pinrepair.com/em/gtb_certificate60s.jpg

For em games.

#6 8 months ago
    Quoted from KingofKoopas:

Just curious which one are we talking about? Cause someone posted a re-creation of what I thought was the green one a while ago. This is the one I was gonna use for my pins. Is it not high enough quality/ faulty in some way or is this another kind we're talking about? [quoted image]

Yes, this is the one I'm talking about.
    Did you try printing this image?
    I think the green will just blurr together.
    My printer is out of ink at the moment, otherwise I would have tested this for myself.

Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

Someone needs to scan at 2400 DPI and line detection turned on, and do it black and white, gray scale and full color to find out which works best for him. Or at least that is my honest opinion.

Thanks, that is exacty what I need.

#7 8 months ago

Forgot the print settings, but this was on a $100 Epson inkjet all in one.

ADE5342D-1E61-42F8-94CF-DCE978A8C8A9 (resized).jpeg
    #8 8 months ago

Is there a rubber stamp font out there? Because this is what the original ones look like.

15383417335315179915876115894058 (resized).jpg
    #9 8 months ago
    Quoted from tktlwyr:

Forgot the print settings, but this was on a $100 Epson inkjet all in one.
    [quoted image]

It looks nice, just nice....
    I want to make them look good, very good.

#10 8 months ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Is there a rubber stamp font out there? Because this is what the original ones look like.
    [quoted image]

This image is so nice and sharp.
    You can clearly see it's an original.
    That is what I would like to accomplish.
    Too bad it can't be done.
    A repro is always a repro and it will show.
    It is very hard to get the wavy lines to shine through the stamped numbers and letters.
    And indeed the stamp font is needed in various styles.
    The letters are a different style than the numbers.

#11 8 months ago
    Quoted from Inkochnito:

This image is so nice and sharp.
    You can clearly see it's an original.
    That is what I would like to accomplish.
    Too bad it can't be done.
    A repro is always a repro and it will show.
    It is very hard to get the wavy lines to shine through the stamped numbers and letters.
    And indeed the stamp font is needed in various styles.
    The letters are a different style than the numbers.

It's almost as if they wanted the certificate to be hard to forge. Jk

#12 8 months ago

Last summer I scanned the best-looking certificate I had at 1200dpi and cleaned it up a little in Photoshop at 600dpi. I didn’t fix every imperfection or incomplete wavy line. The original certificates were smudged and imperfect, especially the green border. Let me know if you want the file, Peter.

Gottlieb Northlake Factory Certificate

#13 8 months ago

Hopefully something will come up to use, I have several machines that I have restored and repainted the apron and would love to make it look original with the correct green certificate & matching serial number/model designation.

My other problem is I don't have Photoshop and very limited photo editing skills and it's very expensive for hobby use. I have heard of Gimp; is this a possible option if a nice blank example is created?

#14 8 months ago

The issue is simple. Take the archway off (9x long screws as I recall), move a portable (hp type see through) scanner or invert the archway to a standard fixed bed 2400 DPI scanner (without interpolation) and run it, then send the files (scans, 3x) to Inki in b/w, g/s, and full color (24+ bit) and he'll do the rest. Someone can take 15-20 mins to do this, and Inki will do the rest. And then it will be done right, and done for eternity with vector graphics, and printing at infinite resolution, not raster and interpolated/guessing. Who steps up for the scanning? we all are the winner!

#15 8 months ago
    Quoted from ckcsm:

Hopefully something will come up to use, I have several machines that I have restored and repainted the apron and would love to make it look original with the correct green certificate & matching serial number/model designation.
    My other problem is I don't have Photoshop and very limited photo editing skills and it's very expensive for hobby use. I have heard of Gimp; is this a possible option if a nice blank example is created?

You can use GIMP to add the text on top of a blank certificate. The user interface of GIMP is kinda weird (especially coming from Photoshop), but it's fairly powerful software that's free. "Paint.net" isn't as feature rich but it's super straight forward and can easily accomplish the same task. It's basically Paint, but useful.

#16 8 months ago

Here is that certificate scan applied to my Centigrade 37. It’s good enough for my needs.

Certificate (resized).JPG

#17 8 months ago

Just keep your pants on...
    The scan I got from leckmeck is good enough to work with.
    I'll post a message when I'm ready to receive requests.
    Just give me some time.
    I do have a day job and the evening hours are short...

Peter
    www.inkochnito.nl

#18 8 months ago
    Quoted from Inkochnito:

Just keep your pants on...
    The scan I got from leckmeck is good enough to work with.
    I'll post a message when I'm ready to receive requests.
    Just give me some time.
    I do have a day job and the evening hours are short...
    Peter
    www.inkochnito.nl

Thanks Buddy, we very much appreciate your work & time to help us to add the nice finishing touches on our machines.

#19 8 months ago

Leckmeck,

That looks great! Without something to compare it to (another Centegrade cert), I would never be able to tell it wasn't original.

#20 8 months ago
    Quoted from leckmeck:

Here is that certificate scan applied to my Centigrade 37. It’s good enough for my needs.
    [quoted image]

Thats great work leckmeck. Do you recall which fonts you used for the name and serial no? Thks.

#21 8 months ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Thats great work leckmeck. Do you recall which fonts you used for the name and serial no? Thks.

Thanks, Wayner. I think I used Copperplate Bold for the name and Courier New for the serial number. I smudged the name around a bit to make it look stamped. Without the smudging, Copperplate doesn’t look so hot because of its conspicuous serifs.

#22 8 months ago

Here is the first test of the green certificate reproduction.
    I would advise to print it at true size (or 100%, no scaling).
    Please let me know what you think.
    Would you use this file as a reprint?
    Offcource I can change the name of the game and the serial number.

test2.pdf
    #23 8 months ago

not bad, I would be tempted to turn on some opacity on the stamp text so it wasn't so solid/bold.. or something.

What were these printed on originally? as in what color was the base stock

#24 8 months ago

Wouldn't that be great to simply have the file as PDF with the 'Title' and 'Serial' numbers as PostScript defined text objects, rotation, offset by pixels, and let folks edit the file with pertinent text for their own needs so it doesn't look like every single one that is printed out looks the same. Maybe with shades of RGB changable as well, for various 'aging effects'. Possibly a 'screen' or 'alpha' that makes the entire thing look aged by a RGB with alpha defined? Maybe a simple tutorial file to go along with it, how to open with a text editor, or how to use 'vi/ed/vim/emacs' as bonus HOWTO.txt? Oh god, this would be classic 'raising the bar stuff', a new for pinball hobbyists. Inky, btw, you do AMAZING stuff, contribution, and dedication, for years!

#25 8 months ago

Well here's what my JokerPoker certificate looks like, I would love to repaint the panel and install a new certificate.

20171111_155804 (resized).jpg
    #26 8 months ago

I've found the setting for the text to be transparent.
    I'm all set for the requests....
    Please email me your request and an image of your (bad) certificate and I will send you a pdf file in return.

Peter
    www.inkochnito.nl
    inkochnito @ kpnplanet.nl

Gottlieb_Joker_Poker_SS_08283.pdf
    #27 8 months ago

And the game-name font is much improved in your second version. It looked a little off in the first one that you posted.

Thanks Peter! Looks good!

<SirScott is now scrambling to go look at his green certificates to see if any need refeshing...>

#28 8 months ago

hey Peter, I emailed you a scan of my Williams cert scanned... if you could recreate
    cert (resized).JPG need for Heatwave 5777

#29 8 months ago

With maybe a dozen or so per maker of models certificates, there
    is a simple way to generalize this with PS's transformation and
    ability to deal with alpha. Aside from 'fraud', which is going to happen
    regardless, you are best to use the tools in PS to make a generalized
    file and tutorial file to edit the transparency of the overlay over the green
    (or other colors) for aging, then rotation for stamps, and finally do it
    with scans that are of the highest quality. Google the PS Language Reference
    for details on the image model of PS.

#30 8 months ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

hey Peter, I emailed you a scan of my Williams cert scanned... if you could recreate
    [quoted image] need for Heatwave 5777

Email send....

#31 8 months ago

The certificate is missing on my C37 and I can't find a serial number anywhere on the game. Is the serial number stamped somewhere else on the game that I am missing?

#32 8 months ago

it is located at the front , here's it is on mine

DSC09619 (resized).JPG
    #33 8 months ago

What's inside the red circle? ....... original serial number?
    a37402143438caa98ed6eb92b98620d26d27fcfb (resized).jpg

#34 8 months ago
    Quoted from luch:

it is located at the front , here's it is on mine
    [quoted image]

Hmm. Mine doesn't have anything there. It all looks like original paint too. I was able to find it on my Sinbad, but nothing anywhere on C37. I went over the whole cabinet inside and out with a bright flashlight too.

#35 8 months ago
    Quoted from Theo_Ioannis:

What's inside the red circle? ....... original serial number?
    [quoted image]

don't know , it could of been a previous #

#36 8 months ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Hmm. Mine doesn't have anything there. It all looks like original paint too. I was able to find it on my Sinbad, but nothing anywhere on C37. I went over the whole cabinet inside and out with a bright flashlight too.

Did you look under an instruction paper?
    image-17 (resized).jpg
    image-16 (resized).jpg

#37 8 months ago

there was a number ink stamped under the coin box CABINET D15117

#38 8 months ago

Funny mine has none of the stamps. The only thing I found was something hand written in 1981!

20181008_194338 (resized).jpg20181008_194945 (resized).jpg
    #39 8 months ago

Thought it was a high score, but a score will not end with out a zero.

#40 8 months ago
    Quoted from John_I:Funny mine has none of the stamps. The only thing I found was something hand written in 1981![quoted image][quoted image]

That looks like a play meter count to me, John. And I think the D 15117 is a part number, or at least cabinet style number. Some time ago here on the forum there was discussion about serial numbers behind labels stapled in the back box. I carefully pried the staples out of a couple of labels on my games, and some did have the number stamped there.

#41 8 months ago

is there a number somewhere on the head ?

#42 8 months ago
    Quoted from luch:

is there a number somewhere on the head ?

There is an inspected by number and a lightbox part number, but no serial. Not even behind a label. Nothing on top of the head either.

#43 8 months ago

From my C37.

6DF0E40D-1C20-4BF4-82BC-9E5930C9965C (resized).jpegA67AF1D1-F748-4496-BA4F-1344CDCCBAD0 (resized).jpegF9F6D24F-854B-4A20-BAF0-6CF7C2AD0B77 (resized).jpeg
    #44 8 months ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

From my C37.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Haha they forgot to stamp mine so they stamped yours twice on top to make up for it.

#45 8 months ago

I want more pics of that game. It looks to be in amazing shape!!

#46 8 months ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Is the serial number stamped somewhere else on the game that I am missing?

You could try carefully removing the high-score adjustment card in the backbox and looking on the back of it.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-serial-numbers#post-3501631

#47 8 months ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

You could try carefully removing the high-score adjustment card in the backbox and looking on the back of it.

Great tip!
    I couldn't be certain of the correct serial number on my Atlantis and was able to locate it on the back of the adjustment card.

I did look at some of my later 70's Gottlieb's and they wern't there.

#48 8 months ago

Here's a Peter made cert printed on kitakata paper, paperback "like" paper

https://www.dickblick.com/products/kitakata-paper/

20181009_205718_resized (resized).jpg
    #49 8 months ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

I've looked under every label and every one of the suggested spots and then some. I stood on a stool to carefully look at the top of the machine and even crawled underneath. This machine was simply not marked with a serial number! I guess I will just make one up! Maybe my birthday or something.

#50 8 months ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I've looked under every label and every one of the suggested spots and then some. I stood on a stool to carefully look at the top of the machine and even crawled underneath. This machine was simply not marked with a serial number! I guess I will just make one up! Maybe my birthday or something.

Look at the serial number database and pick an appropriate number for the game, ie 1 more then the suggested range

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    Cabinet - Toppers
    liorillusion
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 19.99
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 10.00
    $ 38.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 30.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 89.99
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside