(Topic ID: 19850)

Green flipper rubbers make a difference in play?

By blondetall

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by chriskd
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I just learned that different flipper rubbers make the game play different. I've seen posts about black versus white, and red versus yellow. My JP came with green rubbers, and I can't seem to find info on them. Is this just a color issue or does green play a certain way? Any suggestions on what the best to put on JP would be?

I'm not pinball savy enough yet to do all the fun catches, but just in regular play right now I can accidentally launch a ball over the mid field ramp, and have knocked a couple out of the pin altogether when the glass was off. (The raptor kick probably had more to do with that than the flippers though.) I didn't know if a different color would improve the gameplay or not. Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 11 years ago

Green from pinball life was pretty close to red IMO. Not real gummy or springy like yellow, not hard like black.

There's been about a million threads on this I think... and basically, it's personal preference. They're a little different from color to color but basically there's Black->Red/Colors->Yellow in terms of hardness.

#3 11 years ago

I like green. I have them on my Shadow and RFM. They do play similar to red.

#4 11 years ago

I looked through the other threads before posting and just never saw anything definate on green. Mostly just black, white, red, and yellow. But if they are more like red, I can work with that information. Thanks.

#5 11 years ago

The green do play like the red, the purple seem to be stiffer life black. Rubbers do have an effect on ball play

#6 11 years ago

Seems to me that black is less bouncy and everything else is about the same.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I looked through the other threads before posting and just never saw anything definate on green. Mostly just black, white, red, and yellow. But if they are more like red, I can work with that information. Thanks.

Green probably falls somewhere between blue (harder) and red (softer). Generally speaking, the darker the rubber, the harder (less bouncy) it is. You can test this yourself by simply squeezing one between your thumb and forefinger. If you put a black one in one hand and yellow in the other, you'll notice a big difference. Reds have the greatest variation. Some pinkish ones are way too soft while an older darker red one might be almost has hard as a black rubber.

Softer rubber is preferable to the player, but not too soft. It allows more control. I like using blue flipper rubbers (when the color scheme allows it) because they're slightly softer than black and show dirt (which black rubbers don't).

#8 11 years ago

I have green on my tri zone, and they are my favorite "feel" on that game, ive had red and yellow on there at one time as well.

#9 11 years ago

Is yellow technically bouncier than red then?

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Ive found this to be true personally. Black is a personal fav

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Indeed

White > yellow > red > orange > blue > green > purple > black

I am surprised blue is softer than green but then again every batch is different so maybe B, G & P alternate? Funny I have an orange set that is softer than red @ the moment. Weird.

I favor red on Sterns for some reason.

Some colors have more or less nylon from batch to batch?

#12 11 years ago

The orange flipper rubber that I recently put on my Tron seems to be the bounciest rubber I've ever had.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Typically, yes. But because red rubbers vary so much, not technically. Pinkish red rubbers can be almost as mushy as white flipper rubbers (do not go there).

I like to add 4 red flipper rubbers to pretty much all my orders at different suppliers so that I have different hardnesses to choose from when rubbering a game. On a game like TSPP, you might want softer rubbers on the lower flippers for more control, but a harder rubber on the upper flipper so that you get plenty of power on the left ramp. Obviously, small red flipper rubbers can vary too, although the differences aren't as noticeable as with full sized flippers.

#14 11 years ago

Interesting thread. A couple of you say the player has more ball control with softer rubbers, but I find the opposite to be true. The softer/bouncier the rubber, the harder it is for me to do live catches (when I can do them at all) and harder to predict where the ball goes after a dead flipper pass. For those that say you have more ball control with softer rubbers, can you please elaborate on how it helps you as a player?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/green-flipper-rubbers-make-a-difference-in-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.