(Topic ID: 257530)

Greek Gods Homebrew

By Cmartin1235

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image0(13) (resized).jpeg
    9E556FAA-556E-498F-A0FE-DD28A7C33A82 (resized).jpeg
    B1EC1E3C-6B14-434F-9CE6-ABEBEFC11054 (resized).jpeg
    instructions_powerball (resized).png
    opz_cm (resized).jpg
    0716152E-150F-4992-B229-217D51098B9C (resized).jpeg
    D78F0663-CC8D-4EFD-8A79-833896405431 (resized).jpeg
    D15270C0-04CF-44D6-8E61-88E0F26D0E1F (resized).jpeg
    E53402F7-3D90-45EF-B7DE-C2171F6076C5 (resized).jpeg
    DD5A9AE4-D15C-4089-A216-D8DE20B37FCC (resized).jpeg
    1A4CC227-F1C6-4CC8-B1E0-EDFD5D4DCE31 (resized).jpeg
    10598323-F756-458F-BD25-9AEA41D44384 (resized).jpeg
    B21E0817-A11C-4A03-8497-8F2EA3DDBF9D (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 3.43.14 PM (resized).png
    goodtop25percent (resized).png
    bottom25percent (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cmartin1235.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I'm a maker type with clearly too much time on his hands. I'm getting into home-brew pinball because it pushes all the right buttons for me: basic electronics, pc building, programming, robotics, wood working, 3d printing, LED lighting and of course gameplay. I am new to pinball, buying my first machine, Ironman about 2 years ago followed by Total Nuclear Annihilation, and most recently a P3. The other reason to to make a pin is to have a project to share with my ten year old daughter, a budding artist. We divide up the work. I do the building, and my daughter works out the theme, the art (with a bit of photoshop help) and some of the modes. And, if you haven't guessed, she is a huge Rick Riordan fan, hence, Greek Gods.

I made it as far as a whitewood which I deconstructed and and now beginning work on the the next iteration. Here is what Greek Gods will have in it.

Two playfields each with a full size ball, slings and flippers
    P3-ROC
    PD-16 x 3
    SW-16 x 4
    PD-LED x 4
    Driving 4 serial LED chains and about 100 RGB LEDs
    Multimorphic power entry board
    PC MOBO with 4 core celleron processor 8MB RAM and ATI graphics card.
    ATX power supply 600W
    Start up shutdown controller board
    Meanwell 48V 1000 watt power supply
    29" 4 K monitor for the back box
    800x1024 10" transparent LCD separating the main from the underworld's mini playfield (think Krull)
    Bifurcating ramp with diverter, left and right returns
    Subway feeding a scoop
    Laser cut steel ball guides with perforations for serial LED chains
    4 Drop targets
    3 Stand up targets
    5 Pops
    5 Magnets
    5 Slingshots
    3 Ball locks (one on each ramp return and one in the subway)
    2 Spinners
    Caged powerball
    Appearing post
    Knocker
    Seemingly countless optos, 3D printed parts and inserts and about a mile of wire.

The machine is being developed on top of Ubuntu 18 and MPF. Digital design is in Fusion360, SketchUp and Adobe Creative Cloud.
    I'll post as I reach interesting milestones and share the journey and of course answer questions as I am able. 'Course take my advice with a grain of salt as I am just a newbie.

#4 4 years ago

First some design considerations. I'm intrigued by these transparent LCDs I've seen on Alibaba. They work like a normal LCD and are primarily used in store displays. Putting one of these in a playfield would allow goals and animations to be easily communicated to the player and when the mode is unlocked a miniplayfield becoming visible under the main playfield. This fits with the theme of an underworld. But they have several drawbacks. 1. Ordering from Alibaba. 2. Cost. 3 Large bevel. 4. You can't mount any hardware through it, so all the shots will be in the upper playfield. 5. One has to put a ton of light behind them because transparent is really dark, like #7 welding glass. I tried taking apart an 11" monitor, removing the backlight and retaining the polarizing filter. This sort of worked but the image was washed out. So I ordered from Alibaba. 3 weeks later it came along with a SVGA interface board. I have the monitor glass pitched up about 5 degrees so you can see the flash light under it.

Monitor (resized).jpgMonitor (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #5 4 years ago

Since Greek Gods is going to be built around the 10" central transparent LCD monitor, I'd best start with the shot layout of the "Underworld." For this I'll be using a standard size ball and mini-flippers. There won't be a trough, just a slot to catch the ball when it drains and a coil to kick it to the mini-playfield. No in or out lanes either, just slingshots right above the flippers. The visible part of the playfield has 3 targets and 4 mouths representing the four rivers of the underworld. These connect to subways which run around mechs of the main playfield. Also hidden from the player is that the subways have magnets with opto switches allowing them to either pin a ball, reverse a ball's direction or accelerate a ball. These later maneuvers take a bit of special coding in MPF. If the ball exits a lower mouth at sufficient speed it should pass from one tunnel to another. The reason for the lack of inserts on the lower playfield is because texts and graphics can be superimposed onto the playfield using the monitor. Also the light required to see the lower playfield is so bright, any inserts would have to be lit with a VERY bright LED or halogen.

Underworld2 (resized).pngUnderworld2 (resized).png
    #6 4 years ago

Now that I’ve settled on the basic shape of the “underworld “here is a test mock up of the mini-playfield layout including some of the multimorphic opto switches. Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to put the holes for the infrared beams at the middle of the ball. It makes an annoying clicking sound as the ball rolls past. I still need to cut holes for the magnets but I’ll make sure the opto switches work as advertised first. I have some foam board to make a stand with LED lights which I’ll use suspend the monitor over the mini-playfield. This will give me a chance to test the viewing angle of the transparent LCD.

CBE56DF6-00D2-426E-AF78-C960E3EF148F (resized).jpegCBE56DF6-00D2-426E-AF78-C960E3EF148F (resized).jpegB809D5F5-10BD-4E46-9DD3-529E56751CDF (resized).jpegB809D5F5-10BD-4E46-9DD3-529E56751CDF (resized).jpeg
    #7 4 years ago

Now that I’ve settled on the basic shape of the “underworld “here is a test mock up of the mini-playfield layout including some of the multimorphic opto switches. Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to put the holes for the infrared beams at the middle of the ball. It makes an annoying clicking sound as the ball rolls past. I still need to cut holes for the magnets but I’ll make sure the opto switches work as advertised first. I have some foam board to make a stand with LED lights which I’ll use suspend the monitor over the mini-playfield. This will give me a chance to test the viewing angle of the transparent LCD.

5 months later
    #8 3 years ago

Progress has been steady though documenting here has not. I will attempt to catch up. I drafted my play field layout in adobe illustrator and gave the files to the local Hammerspace. They cut this for me charging $100 which I felt was pretty reasonable. These small holes at the top are for magnets that feed two sets of mechanisms on the left a pop and two slingshots on the right three pops. Not sure what to do with the midsection yet but obviously the transparent LCD monitor goes in the center square.

7E697035-CECC-424D-8A00-16C9C5C5669A (resized).jpeg7E697035-CECC-424D-8A00-16C9C5C5669A (resized).jpeg
    #10 3 years ago

I have really come to appreciate the documentation on the multimorphic boards that I am using to control my play field. The documentation really is excellent although it doesn’t reach across all skill levels, of course. I will attempt to describe a couple of the pitfalls I fell into when getting it all hooked up. Maybe it will save somebody from blowing a FET power transistor.

It seems if people are going to have trouble, most likely it has to do with how they connect the power supplies to the different boards. I started off using a (capacitor) power filter board that I found through Pinball makers. After blowing it a PD-16 MOSFET I went ahead and ordered the more expensive power entry board sold by Multimorphic. Yes, I know, it seems expensive but it really has been worth it to make my how are stable.

So here’s the main pitfall. All of the negatives (GND) of the DC power supplies Have to be tied together which the power entry board does for me. If they are not tied together there is a small float voltage between the low-voltage ground and the high-voltage ground. This confuses the control on the MOSFET chips Causing them to lock on, at best blowing a fuse and at worst blowing it themselves. Seriously, if you are using the Multimorphic ecosystem spend the extra $90 for the power entry board.

#11 3 years ago

You might be wondering about that large 4” round hole in the left side of the mid play field. My plan here is to have a whirl pool “controlled by Poseidon.” It will be a type of spinning cup that can trap a pinball and randomly fling it back out again. I haven’t seen something like this done before and I am anxious to try it out. I wonder what it will do to the ball path....

69BA5BFF-72CA-4F07-B285-C83E5EA204A4 (resized).jpeg69BA5BFF-72CA-4F07-B285-C83E5EA204A4 (resized).jpegDE583D86-E59B-4E58-8A80-3B418C96AD96 (resized).jpegDE583D86-E59B-4E58-8A80-3B418C96AD96 (resized).jpeg

#12 3 years ago

More on the P3-ROC boards. I found that making quick references for each of the boards showing the function of each header to be a big help. Feel free to use these, though don't blame me if I got something wrong, double check everything against the docs. First the power entry board. Those caps are worth about 3 coil actuations before they are drained. They let you use a smaller power supply, like a 600 W 48 V meanwell and still have plenty of charge to hit 2 or even 3 coils at the same time. The 15V circuit is interesting. It does not have to cary 15V. I will end up using it for a separate 5V loop to provide power to LED strips. This will keep me from browing out the logic boards or the lights on my PD-LED when I send 20 amps to about 1000 LEDs.

PowerAnnotated3 (resized).pngPowerAnnotated3 (resized).png
    #13 3 years ago

Here is the heart of the beast the P3-ROC. It has a bunch of headers used by the P3 pin that I won't be using, unless I need some kind of fancy long distance optos to detect balls in my whirl pool. Mostly I will be sticking to USB and the serial in plugs for the SW-16 boards and the serial out plugs for the PD-16 and PD-LED driver boards.

P3ROCR2Annotated (resized).jpgP3ROCR2Annotated (resized).jpg
    #14 3 years ago

I figure I will use 5 of these guys. They can detect from microswitches, leaf switches, optos and proximity sensors. The later two are driven by the 12V available on the headers. When connecting the SW16 to the P3-ROC controller its like jumper cables. + to + and - to -. The GND is not needed.

I have a thing against pinning headers and prefer to solder. These plugs are just the thing. https://www.allelectronics.com/item/con-2410/10-pin-connector-w/header-0.1-spacing/1.html

SW16R2Annotated (resized).jpgSW16R2Annotated (resized).jpg
    #15 3 years ago

These driver boards will switch any DC current from 5 to 80V. You just have to be really careful to connect the negative on the high voltage power in to the negative on the digital control (5V) power which is done for you at the power entry board. The two sides of the boards are meant to run separate from one another. I think it is a bad idea to criss cross the banks hence I maintain separate loops for the two banks. Here is why. Power comes in to bank A via J5. On this side, power flows through (and is protected by) the fuse F1. Then J3 provides fused power which can connect either "octopus style" or in a loop to each of the coils connecting to bank A via J7. If you were to connect a coil powered by bank A via J3 to an output on bank B, I don't believe the Fuse F1 would protect that coil/FET combo which could result in a catastrophic reaction maybe blowing chips along the way. The two banks are intended to be isolated from one another. To keep is extra simple when starting off I only hooked coils to one bank. For newbies starting to test for the first time, set your default pulse to 3ms. It will be enough to twitch the coil. If you can use a bulb to see if the output works, all the better then you can allow a longer test pulse. If your HV supply has a potentiometer, dial down the voltage to its lowest setting (my Meanwell supply pots down to 38V). The PD-16 comes with 4A slow blow fuses. It sounds too weak but it is actually enough since the coils are only driven momentarily.

PD16Annotated2a (resized).pngPD16Annotated2a (resized).png
    #16 3 years ago

Finally, I am using 4 PD-LEDs. I actually plan to use some serial LED's too which the PD-LEDs will allow me to program. I was surprised how quickly power draw adds up on these boards. Each RGB-LED can draw about 20ma when "white" x 26 RGB-LED that is nearly an amp and a half per board.

LEDAnnotated1 (resized).pngLEDAnnotated1 (resized).png
    #17 3 years ago

Another point about wiring which may be more of style than necessity. I'm wiring my game in small self contained "modules" for my PD-16 and SW-16 boards. So on the PD-16 Bank A goes to 8 coils, Bank B to 8. Coils controlled by outputs on B don't receive power from A or vice versa. On the playfield, there is no point where fused power out from J4 and fused power out from J3 make a connection. The loops for each of the 8 coils are entirely separate. When the card is unplugged from the playfield the A and B coils are isolated from each other. Of course its fine for the two HV power and HV GND wires from the power entry board to "Y" and supply J5 and J6. Wiring the PD-16 like this helps contain failures to a single bank and increases the chances of a single fuse saving my circuits. It also make is a lot easier to tone out a bad connection.

Similarly, I try to do the same thing with the SW16. The header plugs for the SW16 have 12V power, digital GND and the 8 switch inputs. I only connect switches on bank A to the GND provided by bank A. Optos and proximity sensors which require 12V power I only power by the same header that that switch bank provides. While I should not hurt anything with violating this principle with the SW16 boards, it contains failures to a single board or bank and it makes trouble shooting a lot easier. I just pull off the meeter and tone it out. Also, should high voltage touch a switch, I am only going to lose one input, maybe one side or at most one board, not all my switch boards together.

Here is something that surprised me. I rendered my meanwell 48V supply all but silent with a stealth fan (See TNA power supply mod). One day I forgot to turn off my meanwell and even though the rest of the 5 and 12V supplies were off when I went to solder a coil, the soldering iron sent some kind of signal down the line and activated the MOSFET and that fired the coil and locked on. It was not enough to smoke but the MOSFET never worked again. I brought it back by replacing the MOSFET.

#18 3 years ago

Really this diagram crystallized my thinking as to how it all wires up. Just like in the diagram I am using an ATX supply which also goes to my MOBO.

hookup7HalfRes (resized).pnghookup7HalfRes (resized).png
    #19 3 years ago

Did I mention about hooking up the common grounds? I must have by now. The green line represents the power entry board.

WiringDiagram4MPFa100 (resized).pngWiringDiagram4MPFa100 (resized).png

#20 3 years ago

Here is a view of the basic white wood prototype. Playing the shots, There are a couple issues. First of all it’s really dull to have the drop targets on either side. I need to liven that up. Maybe replacing one of them with a pump bumper like total nuclear annihilation will help. Also the 90° angle orientation makes them difficult to hit with any semblance of precision. Indeed, a ball can even come to rest against one of the drop targets. That will have to be changed as well. I am sure there are plenty of more experienced players out there rolling their eyes right now thinking “You idiot, of course that won’t work. “ But this is the first time through the process for me and honestly I haven’t made a study of pinball before this year. Oh, and that whirlpool cup? It will trap a slow ball just fine and using an accessory switch I can eject the ball by making it spin. But I have two major problems. How do I detect when the ball comes to rest? Maybe those long beam Optos from multimorphic will work. They will detect the ball all the way across the playfield. Mission pinball framework supports them so why not? But maybe the bigger problem is a fast moving ball dips down into the cup and shoots out the other side leaving the playfield in a graceful parabola coming to rest somewhere along the west wall of my basement. The cup may have to go.

D60FB8D2-556E-49A1-AC29-713804CE4CA3 (resized).jpegD60FB8D2-556E-49A1-AC29-713804CE4CA3 (resized).jpeg
    #21 3 years ago

The ball guides I had water jet cut from 18G mirror finish stainless. I used a local shop and I think they need to dial in the machine since the edges were a bit rough. They also charged me about $300 including the metal. Next time I will go with https://www.oshcut.com Better pricing and precise edges.

ballguide1e.pdfballguide1e.pdf
    #22 3 years ago

Here is a better early visual on how the layout works. The ramp bifurcates with a lock on each arm. Hmm. It looks disturbingly like something from AP anatomy.

Stern07a.pdfStern07a.pdf
    #23 3 years ago

OK, there is no saving that whirlpool cup or the current positions of the drop targets. The whirlpool cup is an easy fix. I just 3D printed an insert that fills the space and put a magnet in the middle of it. An opto switch triggers the magnet to give the ball a random fling as it crosses in and out of the left side triad of 2 slings and a pop. The drop targets are a bit more work. Consulting a friend, he recommended filling the slot with a piece of plywood and anchoring it in with Bondo. Then, a new hole can be cut for a different mech. I am keeping the right drop target bank but rotating it to about a 15 degree angle. Just for fun, I’m going to see if I can squeeze in some kind of slingshot behind that bank so that when the bank is fully down another active mech comes in to play. Shirley somebody has tried this before but I can’t think of any examples. I’m replacing the left drop target bank with a pop. Of course there is no getting this thing back on a CNC table at this point. I will have to make the cut by hand using a router and a 3-D printed jig.

70083F77-BA03-4FCA-BD31-5765C37F3170 (resized).jpeg70083F77-BA03-4FCA-BD31-5765C37F3170 (resized).jpegCBAEB032-397F-4F85-B1C4-4B48E8B6C92D (resized).jpegCBAEB032-397F-4F85-B1C4-4B48E8B6C92D (resized).jpeg
    #24 3 years ago

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a subway to feed that scoop from the top of the orbit? Maybe I can even squeeze in another subway feed between the right sided pop bumpers.I really wish I had bought one of those scoops that has a feed from the back. Well, I should be able to cut door with an angle grinder.The Eastwood TIG welder I ordered came in. I think the subway is an excellent place to start to learn to weld. I am reminded of when I learned to solder as a kid and burnt myself seven times in the first hour. OK, it’s not high quality welding but I have to start somewhere.

30BC01B4-6DBE-4912-B500-72C39B140D80 (resized).jpeg30BC01B4-6DBE-4912-B500-72C39B140D80 (resized).jpeg9F00D9AB-A405-4999-84C5-7E95874B08F7 (resized).jpeg9F00D9AB-A405-4999-84C5-7E95874B08F7 (resized).jpeg
    #25 3 years ago

Time to build a cabinet if for no other reason than to contain that crazy hopping ball. My play field is built on Stern measurements so I will just measure my Iron Man cab. My other pinball machine is a total nuclear annihilation. The playfield layout has been heavily influenced by both. In retrospect it’s also bares resemblance to the Multimorphic P3 Though I like to think that this was more convergent evolution around a play field screen then my imitating another master’s machine.

29640C49-1ACC-4AC6-8D8D-70375CB4E378 (resized).jpeg29640C49-1ACC-4AC6-8D8D-70375CB4E378 (resized).jpeg
    #26 3 years ago

I am trying to build the cabinet such that my wife or daughter and I can load it and take it to a show. To distribute the weight better, I am putting everything I can in the back box which detaches. In there is going all of the power supplies, the audio amplifier, MOBO, P3 Roc, Power entry board, and maybe even the sub. Sliding into the back box is a 28” 4K display. I know, nobody needs a 4K display in a pinball machine. But, at this point the displays spending most of the time on my workbench and since I am doing all of the coding directly on the machine, having the 4K display is wonderful for using my web browser, terminal screens and multi tab editor, Atom. Below the display are the speakers. And, I am putting in a one way mirror with serial LED lights behind it that spell out “Greek Gods.” I swear, it wasn’t until after I got started on this configuration that I learned that Multimorphic has a display, speakers and logo in the same spots. Really, seriously, Stellenburg, seriously, I’m not trying to copy your ideas. It is just that, yet again, brighter people have beat me to it.

#27 3 years ago

Back box finished (monitor out for more coding). I think I am finally starting to get the hang of Mission pinball framework. It is distinctly unlike any type of programming I have done before. Some people wouldn’t call it programming but it reaches a point where the configuration files become sufficiently complex and interactive with one another that it becomes just Another language. Fortunately, it’s a gradual evolution and you don’t need a degree in computer science to write really rich rule sets. OK, someone’s going to flame me on this one.

A834BA1A-C90A-495A-967C-08E6507F8FFF (resized).jpegA834BA1A-C90A-495A-967C-08E6507F8FFF (resized).jpeg
    #28 3 years ago

Definitely, there wasn’t room for a subwoofer. It would’ve sounded like crap anyway. Those speaker grills I marked up in illustrator and uploaded to OSH cuts. A week later I had them. So much better than the water cut ball guides from before. The ivy around the logo is 3-D printed And hand painted by my daughter the pins artist. The ivy I had to draft in fusion 360 which how I plan to draft the next iteration of the playfield.

F0206C6E-602E-411A-82E0-2F3160E457B1 (resized).jpegF0206C6E-602E-411A-82E0-2F3160E457B1 (resized).jpeg
    #29 3 years ago

My scoop looks a little naked. Maybe Zeus’s his head? I just started playing guardians of the galaxy. Rather than having a hinged jaw on Zeus, I will just put a smart drop target in front of it. Maybe pinball life will come out with a white or translucent plastic for it.

Welding the ramp took a lot of trial and error. The guide on pinball makers was invaluable. More than anything else it just took a bunch of practice to keep from turning the 1/8 inch steel rod into a puddle of slag.

3EBA9FF4-1410-4370-B39D-B0DD4B11B6C7 (resized).jpeg3EBA9FF4-1410-4370-B39D-B0DD4B11B6C7 (resized).jpeg6B7648C4-764D-4B97-9A93-1B0AD7983931 (resized).jpeg6B7648C4-764D-4B97-9A93-1B0AD7983931 (resized).jpeg
    #30 3 years ago

Those sides that come down around the scoop are not going to work out. The ball is already splitting the one on the right. Well, it is good enough for now.

#31 3 years ago

More welding. Now the apron out of 14 gauge steel. This turned out to be easier than I expected. A metal blade and some oil cuts the steel nicely with a jigsaw. Thank you internet friends for guiding me on how to do it. Right angles weld easily. Much more forgiving than 1/8” rod. Wow, this stuff starts to corrode quickly. Eventually I will scrub it down and have it powder coated.

40C6C1EF-A096-40BA-B080-AF78B13BA242 (resized).jpeg40C6C1EF-A096-40BA-B080-AF78B13BA242 (resized).jpeg19494578-A96B-4862-8D0C-7FDF294E0F8B (resized).jpeg19494578-A96B-4862-8D0C-7FDF294E0F8B (resized).jpegCE704FB7-0654-4F2D-83EA-EC53B05CA381 (resized).jpegCE704FB7-0654-4F2D-83EA-EC53B05CA381 (resized).jpeg
    #32 3 years ago

Here is a close-up on the speaker covers. The guys at OSH cuts were able to hit it with a low power to etch the logo on the rim. Maybe they should have used a higher wattage for the etch.

95DAB8AF-C093-4EE1-AEAD-E34DA6971B57 (resized).jpeg95DAB8AF-C093-4EE1-AEAD-E34DA6971B57 (resized).jpeg
    #33 3 years ago

Finally, getting it all put together for some serious white wood testing.

5749AB22-B1A4-487E-AB2E-DFA8BD7AC093 (resized).jpeg5749AB22-B1A4-487E-AB2E-DFA8BD7AC093 (resized).jpeg675708C5-DA77-400F-98D0-87A9C64C4C31 (resized).jpeg675708C5-DA77-400F-98D0-87A9C64C4C31 (resized).jpeg7FC69084-D1AC-4F50-A958-5C5EB1866E6F (resized).jpeg7FC69084-D1AC-4F50-A958-5C5EB1866E6F (resized).jpeg
    #34 3 years ago

Wow, so many problems but none of them are game killers. That spinner has to be moved because it will trap a ball. Also it’s pretty boring when the ball is in the upper left quadrant. It just bounces around forever without any player intervention. Maybe I can control the slingshots with the flipper buttons somehow. Here is one. The Lucite doesn’t stay in position when I raise the playfield. And another. The trapped Powerball is supposed to represent Sisyphus. But it sits in the way of where the ramp needs to be moved. Maybe I can make a larger horseshoe and bring it all the way to the other side of the field. Although, I’m not sure the player’s ball will hit the Newton ball with enough force to make the power ball go one side to the other. This might be real trouble. Lastly, the lanes on the right side are just a little too narrow to hit.

#35 3 years ago

People must be wondering by now what about the translucent LCD screen and the underworld? Well, that part is working really nicely. Because the screen is so dark, I have to light the slingshots with really bright 12 V flashers. They are from an automotive website. Each ear has a magnet and four optical switches that can either accelerate the ball, stop it or even reverse its direction. But the player can only see the central square area. Including the upper play field I’m up to five magnets in this beast is getting really heavy. In fact, my play field bows considerably when I lift it. I will need to reinforce that in the next iteration

050A2960-1A8C-45F6-A2CA-12FF68BB8DD7 (resized).jpeg050A2960-1A8C-45F6-A2CA-12FF68BB8DD7 (resized).jpeg3C3B403E-9D64-477F-A55E-22742F99E660 (resized).jpeg3C3B403E-9D64-477F-A55E-22742F99E660 (resized).jpeg974B4AC1-9257-4E41-9528-5DA625F060DF (resized).jpeg974B4AC1-9257-4E41-9528-5DA625F060DF (resized).jpeg
    #36 3 years ago

This picture doesn’t do it justice. To the eye it’s not nearly as dark down there as the camera suggests. But, I think you get an idea about how graphics can superimpose on top of targets.

B9B82C20-B7DC-4F8A-B0C7-C954C1DD8B51 (resized).jpegB9B82C20-B7DC-4F8A-B0C7-C954C1DD8B51 (resized).jpeg
    #37 3 years ago

Here is a view without superimposed graphics and the lights turned all the way up. To light it I used a 5 m RGBW strip controlled with MOSFETS via output from the PD-LED. That turned out to be a mistake because I can get any color I want from the screen itself. I would have been better off just using a high density white LED strip.

2BBCF971-2D7F-468F-8A76-63AE907B6F76 (resized).jpeg2BBCF971-2D7F-468F-8A76-63AE907B6F76 (resized).jpeg
    #38 3 years ago

As far as Ubuntu is concerned, this is just an extension of my desktop. Being able to run two displays was one of my reasons for choosing MPF.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#39 3 years ago

I will have to do something like this to hold the lucite in place. Here I go, again imitating the best.

A2785C31-27E0-44E3-B925-86C0108E3D32 (resized).jpegA2785C31-27E0-44E3-B925-86C0108E3D32 (resized).jpeg
    #40 3 years ago

Speaking of imitation, my wife really likes that ball timer countdown on total nuclear annihilation. I wonder if I can make it using a RGB 7 segment display?

#41 3 years ago

This is going to require a custom board and some serious learning.

#42 3 years ago

Including learning the software, this took about 3 weeks to knock out. It takes 4 header plugs from the PD-LED and uses 2 seven segment RGB modules from adafruit.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 7.46.15 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-01-14 at 7.46.15 AM (resized).png
    #43 3 years ago

Here is the module. Damn, I didn’t get a picture of the completed board before installing.

8C30A439-6843-4B97-96E9-F9C0405CBE59 (resized).jpeg8C30A439-6843-4B97-96E9-F9C0405CBE59 (resized).jpeg
    #44 3 years ago

Here is a picture of the underside showing the lighting for the underworld. Yes, I know it looks like a spaghetti bowl. It’s just a white wood folks. Here is the FET interface.

BA718000-74B9-42F5-A1C3-8CB3F500D9A5 (resized).jpegBA718000-74B9-42F5-A1C3-8CB3F500D9A5 (resized).jpegD3F9853B-496D-454D-A694-28414C7DC06E (resized).jpegD3F9853B-496D-454D-A694-28414C7DC06E (resized).jpeg
    #45 3 years ago

Here is a close-up on the lighting of the lower play field. Around the edges are some flashers that light up the tunnels to give the player a hint where the ball will be coming from.

Yes, I know. It looks like a bowl of spaghetti. It’s just a white wood prototype folks. I’m not gonna win any respect on the wiring!

E6EF4470-B7CB-44A6-82C6-3F81A004C6CE (resized).jpegE6EF4470-B7CB-44A6-82C6-3F81A004C6CE (resized).jpegF075AEA2-B5E9-4DB9-A003-8D2C7F2D68E6 (resized).jpegF075AEA2-B5E9-4DB9-A003-8D2C7F2D68E6 (resized).jpeg
    #50 3 years ago

Thanks! As you can see I am mounting all of the “daughter boards” vertically around the edge of the play field. I drafted the mounts in sketchup and printed them in either PTEG or ABS. Heat set nuts from McMaster and M3 screws hold them the boards in place. You can download the STL file on thingiverse search multimorphic. A set of left and right mounts will fit any SW-16, PD-16 or PD-LED.

BA7721FE-C01A-46F0-9AF2-3A5426961913 (resized).jpegBA7721FE-C01A-46F0-9AF2-3A5426961913 (resized).jpeg
    #52 3 years ago

These https://www.pinballlife.com/britecaps-evo-pop-bumper-lighting.html bright caps are not doing it for me. I can’t control them or change my GI lighting color. I like the RBG LED in my TNA pop. But it is a little dim. I’ll try to squeeze in a multimorphic flasher in each pop. It works if I print a ring around the flasher, bend the header plug and put an “ice” pop top on it. Better but not perfect.

502F5186-74C8-413B-9563-AF109322341C (resized).jpeg502F5186-74C8-413B-9563-AF109322341C (resized).jpegC2AF751C-0949-43CD-A2AC-152DF726AAC4 (resized).jpegC2AF751C-0949-43CD-A2AC-152DF726AAC4 (resized).jpegF31BB499-F33A-4412-BAC3-5E712EDFC896 (resized).jpegF31BB499-F33A-4412-BAC3-5E712EDFC896 (resized).jpeg
    #53 3 years ago

Here is a closeup of my ramp and diverter. The diverter uses two 12V coils to push and pull the flap to one side or another. It works pretty well but I will probably change it to a stepper or servo. The lock works great, though. It uses 2 12V coils controlled by the PD-16 to stop the ball. The coils fire and hold for 200 ms to let a ball past. Just before the lock are two opto switches which can open the lock when triggered for non-locking mode or leave the solenoid closed to stop one or two balls. Super easy to control with MPF. And, of course indicator lights. I only wish the whole assembly was smaller and looked less hacker.

IMG_4905 (resized).jpgIMG_4905 (resized).jpg
    #55 3 years ago

I have an old Nikon digital SLR which I had the IR filter removed from the sensor. This lets me shoot in IR. The IR LEDs are really really bright to the camera. When I want to accelerate the ball, you can see that the ball trips the first beam on the way to the magnet and the second beam turns the magnet off so as not to stop the ball. To reverse the ball direction, first pin the ball then let it drop away from the magnet and re-fire the magnet as if accelerating. This required one of the MPF guru's to write me a few lines of python code. Otherwise all the other pinball control is just YAML config files.

UnderworldIR (resized).jpgUnderworldIR (resized).jpg
    #57 3 years ago

Here at the bottom you can see the RGB ball timer. It’s time to start thinking about version two with inserts and improved geometry. I am a little worried about getting the shape of the inserts just perfect so they fit properly when hammered in. I Ran a test board with some shapes I found online and they don’t fit the inserts I ordered from pinball life. Furthermore, hammer space charged me $100 for about a dozen holes in a 12 x 12” board.

0C555F0A-9CCD-4BCE-9BA8-2CDA6DF03231 (resized).jpeg0C555F0A-9CCD-4BCE-9BA8-2CDA6DF03231 (resized).jpeg
    #58 3 years ago

Another 3D printed mount for a multimorphic PD-LED breakout board, also on thingiverse.

IMG_5847 (resized).jpgIMG_5847 (resized).jpg
    #59 3 years ago

Those heat set nuts from McMaster are great. They are extremely strong and bond to the plastic when inserted with a soldering iron. I am using them all over the place. Better order another 100.

#61 3 years ago

Ok, the Kansas City hammer space CNC router is not Going to work out for me. Too bad, too. It’s a great machine but they revised their pricing and I am probably looking at $400 or more to grind out the next play field with them. Double that if I screw up my design. I’ve been doing a little bit of math and for about $800 I can build my own CNC machine if I use the Root3CNC plan. This system uses a 3-D printer to make many of the parts and runs on stepper motors and belts that I am familiar with from a project in college. Another pinball friend of mine made one and it works for him. He has even agreed to grind out a couple of the wooden parts for me. I figure this is going to put my project back about six weeks to build a CNC Figure out how to use it and dial it in. https://rootcnc.com/machines/root-3/

#62 3 years ago

Ok, I’m printing parts like crazy for the Root3. Some of them take up to 11 hours each. ABS plastic did not working out at all. It shrinks too much for the large parts and warps as it cools. So I have started printing in PTEG (same stuff that makes 2L bottles) it is slightly more flexible but seems just as strong. It also does not smell when extruding. But I lost more time fiddling with the feed rates, temperature and layer height.

#63 3 years ago

Parts are beginning to come together. The Root3 lets you chose the size of the cutting area. I’m making mine big enough to cut a playfield in one job. Many of the parts use nuts pressed into plastic. Heat set nuts would work better.

FE04A56F-E537-4150-A4C6-751DF0898278 (resized).jpegFE04A56F-E537-4150-A4C6-751DF0898278 (resized).jpeg1C0F265E-4AC6-401A-A33C-ECF29A1EC9B7 (resized).jpeg1C0F265E-4AC6-401A-A33C-ECF29A1EC9B7 (resized).jpeg361C393F-3EAF-402C-8687-90E39EE88272 (resized).jpeg361C393F-3EAF-402C-8687-90E39EE88272 (resized).jpeg
    #64 3 years ago

Coming together nicely. It’s just big enough for the job. But this on the floor stuff is killing my back. I put the 24 v supply and 4 stepper motor drivers in a Keurig Cup dispenser no longer being used at work. Yay. Saved $20.

0C3E4C2A-43BE-4068-9F5D-360BF67DF522 (resized).jpeg0C3E4C2A-43BE-4068-9F5D-360BF67DF522 (resized).jpeg59ED1AE2-E5E4-4A4B-A3B7-34546BB435F0 (resized).jpeg59ED1AE2-E5E4-4A4B-A3B7-34546BB435F0 (resized).jpeg8D3D4CFE-3E34-4CF6-ADB5-94198167B63D (resized).jpeg8D3D4CFE-3E34-4CF6-ADB5-94198167B63D (resized).jpeg
    #65 3 years ago

Welded up and painted a stand for the CNC router. It all comes apart so I can hang it on the basement wall when I’m done.

395A07FD-FB2A-4005-9D9A-E21B2AC3460B (resized).jpeg395A07FD-FB2A-4005-9D9A-E21B2AC3460B (resized).jpeg17D23376-8FB9-4212-A403-6FFE7D1AB28B (resized).jpeg17D23376-8FB9-4212-A403-6FFE7D1AB28B (resized).jpeg
    #66 3 years ago

This Root3 CNC is working great. In addition to making a test piece for inserts, I ground out this sign for my brother in laws paint shop.

2A667909-1930-483C-B1D1-3EE5C5FF81D9 (resized).jpeg2A667909-1930-483C-B1D1-3EE5C5FF81D9 (resized).jpeg
    #67 3 years ago

My God, but the dust! I am making a kind of boot to go around the cutting head and hooking it up to my shop vac.

816B4B00-AF81-40BE-A06D-802B899F8B2D (resized).jpeg816B4B00-AF81-40BE-A06D-802B899F8B2D (resized).jpegA640593A-D606-4CBA-9869-1A787B6577DE (resized).jpegA640593A-D606-4CBA-9869-1A787B6577DE (resized).jpeg
    #68 3 years ago

My 3 bits and a test cut to make a whirlpool light show around my magnet. I printed the inserts out of clear PTEG. Homemade inserts really open up some possibilities.

3F660EA2-17D5-4A65-AF39-8447A414489D (resized).jpeg3F660EA2-17D5-4A65-AF39-8447A414489D (resized).jpeg6F2F9BE0-4F6B-4617-BE21-1505599C135F (resized).jpeg6F2F9BE0-4F6B-4617-BE21-1505599C135F (resized).jpeg
    #69 3 years ago

It is time to deconstruct Greek gods version one and design a new play field in fusion 360. This baby is going to make it happen. It is a 15 year old flatbed scanner that is no longer available. I picked it up on eBay for $80. It is used by library archivists because the flatbed scanner is set on the object to be scanned.

5DC34E11-4ABF-4A4C-98DD-1B0FD613F08A (resized).jpeg5DC34E11-4ABF-4A4C-98DD-1B0FD613F08A (resized).jpeg
    #71 3 years ago

The playfield is scanned in overlapping pieces, 16 in total. These are imported into Photoshop and a merge algorithm stitches them together. Supposedly, it is accurate down to the millimeter. Let’s hope so because I am going to take the gigantic image and put it in as a background in fusion 360 upon which to place my mechanism holes. Along the way, I have made a ton of notes of where to move things to open up the ball path. Remember the Sisyphus feature, the Powerball in the horseshoe? I still need to resolve if the flippers can send it all the way around the orbit.

F5CABA15-D8F2-4A1A-9CFB-6960136150C2 (resized).jpegF5CABA15-D8F2-4A1A-9CFB-6960136150C2 (resized).jpeg8A320977-5D7D-433B-AF3A-43E15456DFFF (resized).jpeg8A320977-5D7D-433B-AF3A-43E15456DFFF (resized).jpeg
    #73 3 years ago

To resolve the question as to whether or not I can launch a Powerball from one side of the orbit to the other I need to weld up the horseshoe and make and interim Whitewood. Surprisingly, it shoots reasonably well. But it requires a dead on hit against the Newton ball but then the Powerball shoots from one side of the other with a very satisfying “Thunk.” There is a downside to this design however. When the pinball hits the side of the Newton ball without the Powerball present, it is just a brick shot for the pinball. Also, I don’t see a good way to activate a light show with a dead hit.

84A7636F-3F97-427F-8A23-22132B2F4DD1 (resized).jpeg84A7636F-3F97-427F-8A23-22132B2F4DD1 (resized).jpeg65464EFF-902D-4F2D-B823-25DB81F2AC30 (resized).jpeg65464EFF-902D-4F2D-B823-25DB81F2AC30 (resized).jpeg
    #76 3 years ago

Ok that seems to work so I will build a new ramp around the “Sisyphus” feature. This is getting me into the sheet-metal functions of fusion 360. It’s a really neat environment where I can draft what I want the folded piece to look like and fusion 360 will flatten it out so the sheet-metal can be laser cut. Along the way I am also making new ball guides. This might look like Las Vegas when I’m done but I want to perforate my ball guides in my orbit and outlines with hole spacing that lines up with serial LED strips.

#77 3 years ago

Where did I learn it? Almost entirely on the Internet. I am in healthcare. But I did have a year of drafting in high school, a pascal computer class in junior college (shows how old I am) And two years of high school electronics. Though, when I got to Kerkhoff theorem. I was completely lost.

#79 3 years ago

OK I’ve got more metal back from OSH cuts. I went with 18 gauge stainless. I am feeling that this was a mistake because the ball guides aren’t quite as stiff as they should be. The mirror finish stainless that I used originally is stiffer than the brushed stainless that I ordered this time. The mirror metal must be a different alloy that is harder and takes a shine. It would have been better to use 16 G this time. Well, I will use what I have. I trusted the measurement specs on the serial LED strip. It turns out that the LEDs are ever so slightly closer than they should be. This is made more of a problem around the orbit which stretches the strip slightly. I am going to have to cut the strip about every 20 LEDs and solder in a short bridge. But, fusion 360 came through. My ramp entrance is looking pretty good.

211199D9-FB0B-4DE8-A55E-B6C7644EF8ED (resized).jpeg211199D9-FB0B-4DE8-A55E-B6C7644EF8ED (resized).jpeg72ADE032-CDDA-4C73-B24F-DD31E5035424 (resized).jpeg72ADE032-CDDA-4C73-B24F-DD31E5035424 (resized).jpeg7106ABC6-7818-4A17-8850-8E863A4B63E8 (resized).jpeg7106ABC6-7818-4A17-8850-8E863A4B63E8 (resized).jpeg
    #80 3 years ago

Ha, somehow a picture of my brother who is a private pilot got posted and I don’t seem to be able to delete it. Well, I have a brother. He’s great!

#81 3 years ago

I think I’m going to use proximity sensors in place of some of my rollover switches. These 18 mm diameter sensors will detect more than 5.5 mm away from the ball. This allows me to retain about 2 1/2 To 3mm of wood above the sensor which should be enough to remain durable. This way my art won’t be messed up. I saw on the net where a guy was working on putting these under inserts. Maybe I will try that too. The sensors won’t detect a Powerball of course but are good for pinballs. They run on 12 V supplied by the SW-16.

8510E4C8-8916-4D1E-A245-2F372198C54D (resized).jpeg8510E4C8-8916-4D1E-A245-2F372198C54D (resized).jpeg
    #82 3 years ago

The Root3 CNC came through. Pretty close anyway. It seems to skip a tooth occasionally over long distances causing a bit of stairstep at the two ends. Hopefully this won’t screw things up. I welded up some side rails to go underneath the playfield to reinforce it so it doesn’t bow under the extra weight of the underworld play field. Watch your fingers when lowering playfield! And yes, I was relieved that it fits.

3B48BF83-9ACA-429D-AF5C-D5C5D10DD317 (resized).jpeg3B48BF83-9ACA-429D-AF5C-D5C5D10DD317 (resized).jpegA4D296F6-11D8-460C-A82E-CCD16E12DA87 (resized).jpegA4D296F6-11D8-460C-A82E-CCD16E12DA87 (resized).jpeg2B3B37B4-23C0-4B48-B050-94EACB01FF1D (resized).jpeg2B3B37B4-23C0-4B48-B050-94EACB01FF1D (resized).jpeg
    #84 3 years ago

My second version of the ramp is done. I would really like to get it chrome plated but nobody around here does that work. I found a guy on the Internet who specializes in chroming pinball parts but he works on his own time scale which is to say he gets to it when he gets to it. There is a place in town that does reverse electrolysis polishing but that’s mostly for industrial food handling and aerospace equipment. They’re happy to do it but will charge me about $1000. I suppose I will make do with a polishing wheel and a bunch of resin.

DD86C869-D5EF-45DB-9AC3-0DD67F39547F (resized).jpegDD86C869-D5EF-45DB-9AC3-0DD67F39547F (resized).jpeg
    #86 3 years ago

Now, a few words about the art. I might have mentioned at the front that this is a project with my kids. My daughter is turning 11 and she is already a much better artist than I am. She picked the theme and has been steadily working away at features we are going to print on the playfield. So, if you don’t care for the art, please be kind.

The art process has been extremely interesting to me. I exported the line drawing of the playfield from fusion 360 to adobe illustrator. Illustrator has a iPad app that my daughter uses to draw in the individual features. I pulled these features into Photoshop, put down a color background and blended it all together.

After that the magic happens. There is an industrial printer here in Kansas City that was extremely gracious in taking this as a small job. After I prepped the playfield with a thorough block sanding to smooth out the inserts, I presented the “canvas” to them. They used a high-end inkjet printer which made two passes over the playfield laying down the graphics.

58FC959C-9825-478C-8293-666C5E605C73 (resized).jpeg58FC959C-9825-478C-8293-666C5E605C73 (resized).jpeg

#87 3 years ago

Here is a time lapse of the print.

The actual printing took about 10 minutes and was fascinating to watch. After the first pass we realized that a couple of the inserts were not masked correctly and we had to scrape off the white background. Oh well. It was a small mistake I should have picked up prior to approval of the print. After a little work, it was ready for the color layers.

#88 3 years ago

Next comes the hard coat. I don’t have an automotive paint shop set up which is the proper way to do this sort of thing. Instead, are used this product. Each can has a smaller can inside that is punctured from the bottom. This mixes the chemicals and after a good shaking you have some thing that is very similar to automotive clearcoat. And it’s just as toxic. I work at a hospital and the paint shop crew was nice enough to let me use a hood. I already had a respirator mask after cleaning up mold at my parents place in the Florida Keys when a hurricane came through three years ago.

AE4213A9-0ACC-45C3-A6E3-F1F98CECEC35 (resized).jpegAE4213A9-0ACC-45C3-A6E3-F1F98CECEC35 (resized).jpeg919CC50E-C60D-445D-A38B-C25B6E9C76FD (resized).jpeg919CC50E-C60D-445D-A38B-C25B6E9C76FD (resized).jpeg
    #91 3 years ago

OK, there were some problems with the print. It turns out that my play field ended up about 2 1/2 mm compressed on the Y axis. Probably this is from the home made Root3 CNC machine skipping a tooth on the belt. My black rings around the inserts aren’t quite right but it’s good enough for who it’s for. If I could do this part over again, I would use drive screws instead of belts on the CNC machine. Much more reliable for a longer worksurface. I would also go with a shorter CNC table and do the playfield in two cuts. The more I learn about how to use a CNC table it really doesn’t gain you very much by doing the playfield in a single run. You just have to line everything up for cutting the upper and lower parts of the playfield separately.

#92 3 years ago

I think these LED strips are going to work out great behind the ball guides. The playfield says version one. I suppose that’s true for the art but I am calling this one version to four pinside.

1E18DB79-043B-4533-98FA-B7EAF6F19C48 (resized).jpeg1E18DB79-043B-4533-98FA-B7EAF6F19C48 (resized).jpeg7B2DB97D-66B0-48B4-B322-62BC08D224E9 (resized).jpeg7B2DB97D-66B0-48B4-B322-62BC08D224E9 (resized).jpeg
    #93 3 years ago

If you look closely, you can tell which are the pinball life and which are the home printed inserts. With the lights on there is a bit of crosshatch texture on the home and made ones. I will just call that quaint.

#94 3 years ago

Back on the rotisserie. About halfway through the last build I upgraded from a swivel vice and a workbench to some gas pipe fittings. Yes, I know the wiring is looking pretty messy. I guess that’s not my talent.

66A7EEFD-3ACA-4782-AEF7-D5495C445915 (resized).jpeg66A7EEFD-3ACA-4782-AEF7-D5495C445915 (resized).jpeg0984F022-7370-4F36-8633-416549596916 (resized).jpeg0984F022-7370-4F36-8633-416549596916 (resized).jpeg
    #95 3 years ago

These RGB flashers in the pops are not doing it for me. I want something even brighter. It would be really cool to use LCD displays in the pops but that is a pipe dream. I found these motor cycle 12V angel eye RGB rings. They are meant to go around headlights. I’m going to try to hot glue two of them in a pop bumper top. I’ll drive them with MOSFETS controlled but the PD-LED. They have 4 22G wires I will need to bring out the bottom of the pop. That will take a little drilling and make changing the pop a (hopefully worthwhile) pain. I am using “ice” pop covers. The clear is just for illustration. If you try this yourself be sure you are getting common anode rings. The common cathode require a more complicated control circuit.

3EB6BD86-CAE0-4C7F-942A-E84DAE73C3D1 (resized).jpeg3EB6BD86-CAE0-4C7F-942A-E84DAE73C3D1 (resized).jpeg2177DFC9-AB68-4F47-8FDB-ABC857268F6D (resized).jpeg2177DFC9-AB68-4F47-8FDB-ABC857268F6D (resized).jpeg
    #96 3 years ago

So far, these angel eyes are looking great. Very very bright and like the bright caps, they shine both up and down.

4B9115E0-4B48-4276-A3AA-C331AA000294 (resized).jpeg4B9115E0-4B48-4276-A3AA-C331AA000294 (resized).jpeg2A7AD847-86AA-45F0-A11C-4CF8842B92A3 (resized).jpeg2A7AD847-86AA-45F0-A11C-4CF8842B92A3 (resized).jpeg
    #97 3 years ago

Oh man, I’m hosed. After finishing putting on the mechs I see that the ball won’t roll through the gap between the slingshot and the outline divider. One of the gurus at multimorphic saw my CAD online and PM’ed me that it looked a little tight through there. I had a false sense of assurance That it was fine that it was fine since I was just tracing over the old design and I had only slightly tweaked the lower slings. I mean, it had to be fine. That scanning process was rocksolid. Except, the ball won’t roll through. Going back to my scan of the first version playfield I see that there was an artifact we are photo shopped stitched the 16 images together. I lost about 9 mm along the Y axis exactly between the level of the flipper and the slingshot. I am so hosed.

#98 3 years ago

OK, maybe I can sort of salvage this. I can move the post supporting the lower end of the slingshot band up about 3 mm. But I still have to move down my in line, outline divider. And I have to change the angle of the L so it still meets up with the flipper holes.The only way it’s going to work is if I fabricate some new type of divider that sits offset from the general illumination holes that are already in the play field.That could gain me the additional millimeters I need. But I will lose the general illumination.

#100 3 years ago

Old, and new. Yeah, the 3D printed divider looks a little funny but I think I can make it work. I am really going to miss the illumination. By the way, the proximity sensors set just below the level of the in line and out lane indicator inserts. They work reliably.

979336B0-4AEF-45F7-A503-D0A0D0F20A58 (resized).jpeg979336B0-4AEF-45F7-A503-D0A0D0F20A58 (resized).jpeg4097211F-529B-4C02-AA8F-8F778A92EEB7 (resized).jpeg4097211F-529B-4C02-AA8F-8F778A92EEB7 (resized).jpeg
    #101 3 years ago

Here’s the proximity sensor you need if you ever want to try it. Be sure to get the PNP. To make it work, you have to hook up a 1K resistor between the sense wire and (if memory serves me) 12 V. This keeps the sensor voltage from floating away from it’s off state.

1BAE4D13-6940-4BFB-9191-2E900177C255 (resized).jpeg1BAE4D13-6940-4BFB-9191-2E900177C255 (resized).jpeg
    #102 3 years ago

There is just enough room to cram in a serial RGB strip, folded over to illuminate both sides. This gives an additional 43 LEDs To play with. I wrote a little python script to make light shows so that whenever the flippers are activated a pulse of light chases the ball upwards. Eventually I will add more light shows to show the ball moving down in the outline. Still looks funny but now it looks funny in a way that was possibly on purpose.

9EBECE77-1D10-48A4-84DA-73BF3ECFDF42 (resized).jpeg9EBECE77-1D10-48A4-84DA-73BF3ECFDF42 (resized).jpeg
    #103 3 years ago

Looking more like Las Vegas every day.

D231DB3B-0B25-4E81-B9B3-8F3BC1532576 (resized).jpegD231DB3B-0B25-4E81-B9B3-8F3BC1532576 (resized).jpeg
    #104 3 years ago

Some spring steel from Marco and a couple rivets and I have a ramp flap. If I ever make a version three, I will press the ramp into the playfield a little bit for a tighter fit.

24FA04F4-D2AC-42BF-B8C3-6923A91C33A3 (resized).jpeg24FA04F4-D2AC-42BF-B8C3-6923A91C33A3 (resized).jpeg
    #105 3 years ago

A while back I mentioned that a guy was working on putting proximity sensors under inserts. Well he has some thing working and asked if I would help make a flasher board to go around the proximity sensor. This has some interesting potential. That means I can put a Sensor in the middle of the hydra and make a bottle Hydra mode down close to the flipper.We started emailing back-and-forth and I am happy to have a new Internet friend who is a great guy. Here is what we are coming up with.

ABADE9FB-1401-4772-8123-4D786C8E88A2 (resized).jpegABADE9FB-1401-4772-8123-4D786C8E88A2 (resized).jpegE351D95E-9694-47A4-A573-EF5C427B94FC (resized).jpegE351D95E-9694-47A4-A573-EF5C427B94FC (resized).jpeg
    #106 3 years ago

We also came up with a extra bright slingshot flasher. It rocks. It can be configured to either draw power directly from the PD-LED or from 5V. If doing the former, it’s probably better not to use more than one or two per PD-LED or it might overload the 3.3 V voltage converter. But configured for 5 V, you could put 23 of these controlled by one PD-LED board. That would be almost 100 piranhas. Blinding! My friend and I are planning on posting the circuit board designs shortly on mission pinball framework so anybody can download the plans, get them fabricated in China for less than a dollar a board And a week later solder up their own.

534E38D9-251E-4CBC-B935-97699DCA32A7 (resized).jpeg534E38D9-251E-4CBC-B935-97699DCA32A7 (resized).jpeg072E5EE0-1D94-46EB-B32A-D901883DA9CB (resized).jpeg072E5EE0-1D94-46EB-B32A-D901883DA9CB (resized).jpeg
    #107 3 years ago

Having the proximity sensor up against the underside of the insert does cast a shadow, however. The shadow is less with the inserts made of clear plastic with cut concentric circles. Not the ones I put in. I will hide the shadow with a decal in the middle of the hydra.

#108 3 years ago

One of the last jobs is getting the plastics right. I started with cardboard cut to the approximate desired shape. Then I scanned the shape and moved it over to fusion 360 where I printed a sample plastic.

60A10AEF-7644-4A92-B429-2B5CEE7718A0 (resized).jpeg60A10AEF-7644-4A92-B429-2B5CEE7718A0 (resized).jpegF5EA5559-F471-45F7-8C96-1A8B1F84E48C (resized).jpegF5EA5559-F471-45F7-8C96-1A8B1F84E48C (resized).jpeg
    #109 3 years ago

After a lot of trial and error I was able to come up with this. Remember how the plastic hanging down over the side of the scoop was getting beaten up? That has been changed to a piece of steel with a blue nub of death bumper. Not ideal but it doesn’t brick the ball.

The plastics that go over my G.I. lights were made in a similar way starting with cardboard, progressing to a 3-D printed shape and then the outline was exported to the CNC router and a cutting bit was used to make the plastic out of Lucite. Using the method outlined at pinball makers, my daughters art, hand drawn on tracing paper, was glued to the Lucite and everything put in place.

DF2BE49A-3969-49D3-86C1-A2B06585FFF9 (resized).jpegDF2BE49A-3969-49D3-86C1-A2B06585FFF9 (resized).jpeg
    #110 3 years ago

Another finishing touch: I can’t add more flipper buttons very easily with the metal side rails which I chose. So instead I am putting this giant switch at thigh level. Leaning into the machine activates a mode where are the upper slingshots become controlled by the flipper buttons and the flippers go dead. This makes a game of skill to keep the pinball in that zone containing two slingshots and the pop. Score enough hits in that zone and it opens up locking on the ramp just above the left upper slingshot. Just remember to take your thigh off the button when the ball comes zipping out past the whirl pool magnet at the real flippers.

Yep, It is going on the coin door. I guess everybody plays for free.

06E1A89D-6356-4AFB-B935-18023D088DC2 (resized).jpeg06E1A89D-6356-4AFB-B935-18023D088DC2 (resized).jpeg
    #111 3 years ago

After looking at it for over a year, I’ve concluded that Zeus his head sucks. I am putting in Medusa and a Minotaur.

5838C039-EDFD-44C2-9231-F4C52216F9D5 (resized).jpeg5838C039-EDFD-44C2-9231-F4C52216F9D5 (resized).jpeg
    #112 3 years ago

Oh, and did you see that PBL came out with a translucent drop target replacement for the smart target? It’s meant as a mod on total nuclear annihilation. I lit up the drop with one of those flashers I mentioned above. Now I can invite a shot to the target or the scoop by flashing the mech.

4A67DF5F-88CE-4621-9E2A-E9B5654E1BE0 (resized).jpeg4A67DF5F-88CE-4621-9E2A-E9B5654E1BE0 (resized).jpeg
    #113 3 years ago

I have been launching the ball with the auto kicker. I really would like a traditional plunger so I can reward the player with hitting one of the three upper entrances to the playfield. But, how do I get the plunger in the right spot? Maybe some archery?

9030B31C-8839-4823-B736-6FDEC7376CAE (resized).jpeg9030B31C-8839-4823-B736-6FDEC7376CAE (resized).jpegBE749197-8759-4A85-9F58-B6AAE78B0FA5 (resized).jpegBE749197-8759-4A85-9F58-B6AAE78B0FA5 (resized).jpeg
    #115 3 years ago

I put a drop of fingernail polish on the end of the rod. I thought it would do the trick but actually it landed a little low. This caused quite a bit of filing before the shooter right in the top centered on the ball. Guess I should have just measured that stern cabinet.

#116 3 years ago

I forgot to mention up above that I re-designed the ramp locks not to use those 12 V solenoids. Instead I used traditional coils below the playfield which pole down a rod to release the ball. Also I refined the Opto boards making custom ones that have a RGB LED built-in. This slims things down considerably.

69428CC8-F777-4CE5-8ED7-E1F09BC38131 (resized).jpeg69428CC8-F777-4CE5-8ED7-E1F09BC38131 (resized).jpegA8E0E55A-AC73-4F43-981E-AD242BD45521 (resized).jpegA8E0E55A-AC73-4F43-981E-AD242BD45521 (resized).jpeg
    #117 3 years ago

Yeah, I had to weld up those disappearing posts myself. I never could find a suitable Mech.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg Added over 4 years ago:

Those disappearing post mechs required revision. Above are pictured 3D printed post guides that I screwed to the top surface of the playfield. These caused two problems. 1 the plastic snapped from balls crashing into the post on the ramp. 2 they allowed the post to flex making the balls bounce back down the ramp and between the flippers. I solved the problems by welding together a 3 inch long stack of #8 stainless steel nuts and then welding this “pipe” directly to top of the mech. Of course I had to drill a bigger hole but the space allowed it. After shining the stack up it looks cool too.

#118 3 years ago

Just a couple more pics...

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #119 3 years ago

And just like a person, much prettier on the outside.

82AD556F-76D5-4630-8228-011AB59060FA (resized).jpeg82AD556F-76D5-4630-8228-011AB59060FA (resized).jpegFD04F01A-C267-4244-AA4D-09C87A5A937A (resized).jpegFD04F01A-C267-4244-AA4D-09C87A5A937A (resized).jpeg
    #121 3 years ago

Thanks! I compressed about 3 years of work into a 3 day blog-fest while attempting to maintain the thought process as faithfully as a retroscope permits. I went with a 1/8" flute bit because a friend with a CNC suggested it. 1/8 is only needed for the roll over cut outs. 1/4 will work for the mech holes. I use a double flute for wood and a single flute for Lexan.

I would indeed scan again rather than measure. I could have prevented my stitching problem had I taken a T-square and a heavy sharpie marker and made a 3" grid on the playfield just before scanning. Any artifacts would have easily been caught.

That scanner is itself an artifact. If you go with it, better snatch it up now. It only runs on windows and on V10 you have to tell windows that it is a "legacy" driver or it won't install. A high res photo of your playfield might work if your camera is centered and you post process away the parallax artifact. You would have to experiment.

#122 3 years ago

I did not keep receipts on the Root3. But, I think it cost me about $700 all together. I should have plunked down another $100 and built it with drive screws instead of a belt on the Y axis.

#123 3 years ago

I am at the programming stage of development. Here is my image I use for programming light shows. I will use it here to describe gameplay. In short Greek Gods is a point game with multi-ball goals. The left upper quadrant is Poseidon's Realm, and right upper Olympus. The powerball controls the diverter. When it is on the left the diverter sends the ball to the left ramp. Right goes right.

Hits to Poseidon's Realm charges up points on that area that when they reach a threshold qualify the Poseidon lock. Hit the scoop target to then activate the lock for one ball. This resets Poseidon points and the qualifying process repeats for a second ball. To release the balls for a 3 ball multi ball the scoop target drops to invite a shot to the scoop. Repeat shots to the orbit activate the Poseidon orbit magnet and will drop the ball in that area. This is handy because the whirlpool magnet will usually block balls shot from below. Remember the Poseidon slings are under manual control with flipper buttons increasing the skill/fun factor for that area. With good sling control the area can be qualified in 1 or 2 balls to that area. Oh, I forgot to mention that the points melt away in Poseidon's area so you have to keep on task or lose progress.

The same process applies for the Olympus side pops but there is no manual control on them, of course. It takes 3 or 4 balls to that area to qualify the lock.

Controlling the power ball is the tough part, though. If one of the locks is qualified but the power ball gets hit to the wrong side, you need to move it back again to get the ball to lock, otherwise it just goes down the wrong side of the ramp. But a clever player can get both locks qualified and filled up at the same time by shifting the power ball back and forth. Then a scoop shot can release a 5 ball multi ball.

Hitting the spinners 100 x qualifies Super Spinner mode. This invites a scoop shot (again by dropping the smart target) to turn on the mode. Super spinner runs atop all the other modes and gives additional Poseidon Points and Olympus Points allowing qualifying to happen more quickly. Each hit to a spinner gives a gentle pulse to the knocker making a very satisfying tap along side the standard sound effect. When this mode is active, every 25 spin hits invites a timed ramp shot that collects a bonus. But if you don't make the collect bonus shot or drain a ball, Super Spinner mode ends.

The 3 right side drop targets activate the hidden sling. This livens up game play. Hit the hidden sling 3 times and mystery award activates. This starts a light show on the serial orbit LEDs to invite a right orbit shot that when made activates the post at the top of the orbit up diverting the ball into the subway. Mystery award is meant to help the player progress in the game by a point award (meh), activating super spinner, switching the activated lock if the power ball ended up on the wrong side, activating a lock if nothing already started. It can also give an instant 3 ball scoop multi ball shooting balls from the shooter lane to the top of the orbit t the subway and ejecting all balls from the scoop 1,2,3. Also mystery can activate hydra battle.

Hydra battle is normally qualified by repeated hits to the central insert activating the proximity sensor. Hits change the color of the hydra inserts and after 28 the battle is qualified. A scoop shot starts the battle. Every 3 hits to the insert launches another ball getting up to 6 balls in play. Lose a ball and hydra gets away and the player finishes out the multi ball with whatever was earned. But, if you keep all six ball in play long enough to reduce hydra health down to 0 there is a light show and point award.

How about that underworld? If the player makes a point threshold after draining the last ball on the upper playfield the player's soul goes to the underworld. The game there is to make 3 shots to each of the 4 "rivers" (see page 1) meaning 12 loops total. On the first river shot (say left lower entrance) the magnet pins the ball and Hades laughs at you. The second shot is allowed to pass from lower left and out the upper left. The third shot and all subsequent shots are accelerated by the magnet. These rules apply to the other 3 "rivers." Complete all the rivers and you return from the dead and get an extra ball on the upper playfield. During underworld play bats fly across the screen, the light do weird things down there and it seeks to be creepy.

I still have many more modes to program like locking on the subway, ball saves activated by repeated ramp hits etc. I expect to be programming and animating in my spare time for years.

playfield_and_BB_annotated (resized).jpgplayfield_and_BB_annotated (resized).jpg
    #125 3 years ago

Here is a list of things I have learned in the last 3 years as I developed Greek Gods.

Electronics. I had a bit of background here already which I expanded with a working knowledge of controlling MOSFETs, stepper motors, servo motors, coils, and a wide variety of LEDs and flashers. In the end I even understood Kirchhoff's Law.

TIG Welding. This was a really neat thing to pick up. I won’t claim to be good at it but I can now make things out of metal and will use this skill for years to come.

Adobe Illustrator: I still have only scratched the surface on this one but I can now work my way through the art, use it to make cutting paths and create elements for animations.

Fusion360: This has perhaps been the most significant skill to have picked up. I left behind sketch-up for my 3D printing modeling a year ago and have not looked back. Fusion has a hobby license which is free but still capable. I used Fusion for drafting the playfield, making my sheet metal, making the countless 3D printed parts. It is a very capable program, well worth the time on YouTube to figure out how to use it. But be warned, the learning curve is not flat.

The value of an online community. I have been participating on a near daily basis on Slack’s PinDev. It has scores of pinball makers who have been down this process before me. I could not have completed this project in twice the time without the encouragement and frequent advice. I only hope to give back as much as I have taken.

For a one-off home brew, it is OK to copy successful design elements from other machines. Hell, even if you think you are doing something truly innovative, chances are somebody at some time has already tried it anyway.

Success = effort x time. For me it meant getting up an hour and and a half before the rest of the family and trying to get in a couple hours a day for about 1000 days. Progress was in fits and starts but there was not a week I did not have something to show. Also, progress got much faster as I went.

#126 3 years ago

Things I wish I had known when I started:

Tie together the electrical grounds.

Servo motors catch fire if the diverter pinches a ball.

You can’t rush a 10 year old into making quality art. It only happens on her terms.

TIG gloves don’t insulate.

Bondo causes a headache.

TIG welding causes a headache (and without good ventilation argon can suffocate.)

Kreg pocket holes go on the inside of the cab.

Welding pot iron gas pipes to make a rotisserie is a bad idea. The welds can give way and send the playfield crashing to the floor.

If scanning a playfield, put thick lines on it so Photoshop does not screw up the stitch.

PTEG is a great material to 3D print with.

Serial LED strips are vulnerable to all kinds of signal interference, magnets, coils, even being too close to the sound system amp.

Williams/Bally pop assemblies are a pain in the butt. Should have gone DE/Sega.

If there is a potential trap for a ball on top of a plastic or wireform it will find it.

Reflective optical switches only work in a trough and are even worse with a power ball.

Cut off the coil diodes if using the PD-16.

Put a 1/4 of heat shrink tubing on the coil lug wires BEFORE soldering them up.

Making custom circuit boards is not as hard as it would seem.

There are some really nice people to collaborate with on the internet. Maybe some day I will even meet them at a show.

#128 3 years ago

Thanks Gerry. I've learned a ton. Glad I went with the multimorphic platform. Now that Greek Gods is mostly done I can get back to playing your latest game Heist.

3 weeks later
    #129 3 years ago

A friend was asking about the back box and monitor. Since I am doing the code development on the same computer as the one that runs the machine, I wanted an easy way to move the back box monitor between my back box and my desk. I also wanted a monitor that would be nice to spend hundreds of hours coding. For me that means a 4K monitor so I can keep a bunch of windows and browsers simultaneously visible. I also wanted the largest monitor I could fit in my back box. That turned out to be a 28 inch monitor whose dimensions I constructed the back box around. I used a low profile wall mount for the monitor to hold it firmly in a minimal frame. When the frame is slid inside the back box, T nuts hold it in place for when the back box is folded down.

D13E296F-CEDE-46AF-8B14-2909ED2DE296 (resized).jpegD13E296F-CEDE-46AF-8B14-2909ED2DE296 (resized).jpegE6DC59E2-D41C-4212-86DA-C0064CFC2F2B (resized).jpegE6DC59E2-D41C-4212-86DA-C0064CFC2F2B (resized).jpeg
    #130 3 years ago
    6C7FD407-0E1F-433B-801B-395EEA5D9E96 (resized).jpeg6C7FD407-0E1F-433B-801B-395EEA5D9E96 (resized).jpeg7F81EE7D-EBCD-4CC9-99CA-06CB93C232EF (resized).jpeg7F81EE7D-EBCD-4CC9-99CA-06CB93C232EF (resized).jpeg
    #131 3 years ago
    FA2BE574-3FF9-4B6D-9D1B-9DFFA21C12B8 (resized).jpegFA2BE574-3FF9-4B6D-9D1B-9DFFA21C12B8 (resized).jpeg
    2 months later
    #132 3 years ago

Finally, a tour and some gameplay of Greek Gods. Still plenty to do with programming modes, light shows, sounds, music and tuning of the ball guides but this machine is about 80% done and now getting some love from the artist.

#139 3 years ago

Thanks everybody. Still so much to do with light shows, music, sound and more modes. I really look forward to taking it to a show.

2 months later
    #141 3 years ago

The Newton horseshoe really flies with using the powerball. The one disadvantage of the design is that if you hit the side of horseshoe without the Powerball it’s a dead shot. If I ever redo the playfield I’ll put a proximity sensor in front of each Newton so I have another way to register hits at those location.

2 months later
    #143 3 years ago

Progress on Greek Gods continues. One of the more mundane problems is how to have a single power switch that controls the multiple power supplies and the host computer. Powering up is no problem but since I am using a standard ubuntu build, abrupt power loss is a problem for the file system. A nice solution is the Computer Startup and Shutdown Controller (CSSC) https://www.scottdanesi.com/?page_id=398
    This little board monitors the host motherboard via the obligatory voltage on the USB plugs. If the board sees the pin's power is on, it trips a relay to fire up the MOBO. If it sees the pin's power is off it trips the relay again to start a soft shutdown. Simple in theory but a bit more complicated to put into practice. For starts you have to have the MOBO wired separate from the pin's master switch. Also the BIOS on the MOBO needs a setting called ERP enabled which turns off the USB power when the MOBO is off. Then on the OS side it needs to be configured to soft shutdown with the power switch activation. If by mistake the OS is set to sleep, no good. Power will still go to the USB and confuse the CSSC.

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 8.59.06 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-02-26 at 8.59.06 PM (resized).png
    #144 3 years ago

My original wiring used an ATX supply to drive the MOBO, the 5V logic to the P3-ROC, the two PD-16 board, the four PD-LED boards and all the serial LED strips. The ATX also supplied 12V power to the SW-16 and the 12V LED strips used to light the lower playfield. For a while I also had the ATX running 12V coils controlling the ramp diverter and the ball locks on the ramps. Putting all this on a computer ATX supply turned out to not be such a good idea. I was having some wire stability problems, especially with all the current the LED's were drawing causing the colors to red shift and problems receiving signals on the serial LED strips. Plus when the 12V coils would fire my 12V lights would dim.

So, I ditched the ATX for everything but the MOBO and the measly draw of 5V logic to the P3-ROC and PD-16 boards. I picked up two more switching power supplies one for 5 and one for 12 and put them in the back box. Having the PD-LEDs driven by a 5V 20A supply improved my LED color and signaling. The 12 V supply worked fine for driving all the optos, the RBGW LED strips and the PD-LEDs.

But the Computer Startup and Shutdown Controller (CSSC) introduced a new wrinkle to my power problems. Since the P3-ROC and PD-16s were still on the ATX supply so long as the MOBO was running so were those boards. Hitting the power switch on the pin cut power to the 48V supply, the LEDs 5V supply and the 12V supply. The MOBO was signaled to start a controlled shutdown by the CSSC. But for several seconds, the P3-ROC and the PD-16 were still active and "confused" by spurious signals coming over the SW-16 bus which was powering down. This would manifest as the MPF seeing a phantom ball in the shooter lane and attempt to eject it to the playfield so it could reenter the trough. Because there was still energy stored in the power entry board the eject would fire about 4 times before depleting the caps. Not harmful but not quality work either. So tomorrow I get to rewire the power entry board to remove the ATX entirely from powering any of the multimorphic boards. Hopefully then when the power is cut the P3-ROC and PD-16 boards will die before the switch bus gives a death rattle.

#145 3 years ago

Rewiring the power entry board proved trivial. Now the ATX is only going to the MOBO. When I hit the power switch to turn off the system the 48V 12V and 5V supplies all go off. The ATX gets its AC power before the switch and keeps the MOBO going while the CSSC prompts Ubuntu for a controlled shutdown. No more of that coil firing nonsense. No caps needed. Digging into it the CSSC functioning looks straight forward and I think I’ve learned enough about the arduino uno to replicate it but for $55 I’d rather just get a clean board with all the proper connectors and have a professional solution. Recommended.

#146 3 years ago

I worked out the auto start process with Ubuntu side. These were the steps I needed to follow. 1. Under Settings -> User accounts there is a setting for auto login which I enabled. I was surprised on restart this reduced my cold boot to desktop time beyond just that required for typing in my password. Auto login allowed some startup steps to run in the background when the desktop was loading. 2. There is a gnome app that comes with Ubuntu called RunStartup that allows the user to select apps to start on startup. In my case I added /usr/bin/gnome-terminal. On reboot this terminal was opened on startup at my home directory. 3. I edited the hidden file in my home directory called .bashrc This file is a startup script which configures the default behavior of the shell. In my case I added two lines to the bottom cd/gg/greekgods and mpf both. If there is a better way to handle this, please post!

Now when I start with a cold boot the MOBO spends 7 sec in bios, the shell starts at 24 seconds and MPF finishes loading all assets and the game starts at 36 seconds. Not too bad for a vanilla Ubuntu setup without any special tuning.

Oh, one more thing I did previously was to go to Settings -> Power and tell the OS to initiate shutdown when the power button is triggered by the Computer Startup and Shutdown Controller.

One thing I have not yet tackled is getting around the 60 second waiting period between power button hit and shutdown initiation. From what I read this is hard coded in Ubuntu's gnome. The way around it is to have a non-gnome event handler intercept the power button hit and run (with root privileges) shutdown -h now. I found instructions for this here https://askubuntu.com/questions/1054506/60-sec-shutdown-delay-in-ubuntu-18-04

#147 3 years ago

My friend Nick reminds me that .bashrc is not usually the place to run a startup script since now every timeI open a shell MPF takes it over. He tells m that a more proper way to do this is to run MPF from rc.local so it would execute once. He also points out that using a lightweight desktop like flux box would cutdown boot/login times. A frame buffer output would be even faster way to boot MPF. Not sure how I would configure that with two screens, though.

1 week later
    #149 3 years ago

A friend asked me for the STL file for the clips I used to bend the wireforms on Greek Gods. I posted it here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4791227
    I used two different types of clips. The distances are configured for the ball to ride above a C ring but not touch the side rails under normal movement. An airborne ball can hop into the wireform (it won't ride on top). I used different clips for the trapped power ball which fully enclosed it.

In both cases started by feeding 4 lengths of 1/8" steel rod through the holes on two or more "sliders." I bent the rods to the desired 3D shape and the sliders maintained the relative distances between the rods. "Sliders" are important during the bending process as the rods become unequal in length. As the wireform took an acceptable shape I replaced "sliders" with clips. When the wireform was bent to its final shape welded 1/8" steel rod "C" rings on the bent rod to anchor the rods to one another. The rest was polishing. The clips will wear out with multiple attachments and un-attachments. So I printed about twice what I thought I would need. Also welding melts the clips so I backed them away from the joints as I welded. I found that if the rod was not fully bent and was under tension, the rings distorted during the welding. With practice I was able to minimize this with proper bending and quick precise welds. Practice makes perfect.

IMG_7457 (resized).JPGIMG_7457 (resized).JPGIMG_7461 (resized).jpgIMG_7461 (resized).jpgIMG_7464 (resized).jpgIMG_7464 (resized).jpgWelding1 (resized).jpgWelding1 (resized).jpg
    #153 3 years ago

Next time I weld wireforms I’m going to try to milling copper plates to snuggle up next to the weld junctions. I’ll put one on each side of the weld as you do. That should help limit spill over heat and damage to the rod.

1 month later
    #154 2 years ago

Greek Gods burnt out another servo. The ramp diverter flap managed to pinch a ball when changing directions from left to right ramp. It wasn’t supposed to happen since the trigger for the ball switch is lower on the playfield. But it did. A jammed servo struggles against the impossible load and gives up the magic smoke. Time to rethink the diverter.

8FFA54B4-48E0-4D9D-8F76-BB6513F1CEEB (resized).jpeg8FFA54B4-48E0-4D9D-8F76-BB6513F1CEEB (resized).jpeg

#155 2 years ago

The problem with a standard servo is that it does not know when to give up. It receives a pulse frequency from the PDLED which it faithfully converts to an angle. If it does not reach the angle it tries harder. Eventually heat is the end of its control circuit or motor. At this point my options are to make my servo smarter or switch to a stepper. If a stepper does not reach its goal it does not give a crap. It executes its 800 micro steps (or whatever) to achieve the desired angle and give a shrug as if to say “I did what you said. 800 steps were conducted.” The worst that happens with a stepper is that it gets out of alignment until told to find its home position with feedback from a micro switch. You might wonder about using coils on the diverter. I’d have to put them under the playfield, right through the middle of a subway. So smarter servo or stepper it is.

#156 2 years ago

Looking at the geometry, a servo sure fits better in that place. The shaft of a stepper is in the middle of the motor whereas a servo is offset. While a stepper is probably a more reliable solution, to use it, I would have to either mount the motor above the flap or use a transmission to move the axle.Both possible but a more significant redesign. Instead I think I’ll try to make a smarter servo.

#159 2 years ago

Thank you Jan for the excellent video on servos. I remember us talking online about the disable making its way into MPF. I didn’t notice that it was already there.On my current configuration, the servo is taking the beating of the ball. I’m relying on the metal gearing to hold together. Im realizing that was a mistake. I need to add stops on the ramp for the flap so the servo can bring the flap just shy of the stop and then disable, letting friction hold it in position and the stop to take the beating.

#160 2 years ago

On an early version Are used 12v mini coils just blow the ramp flap. It mostly worked but mechanically was not as reliable as the stepper I replaced it with. The steppe went away when I re-designed the orbit for lack of space. Real coils would be a more robust solution but there is not quite enough room for me too put a coil and the requisite transmission to control that flap. I believe I have worked out a way to detect ball jams. Rather than put a switch on each flap position, I will try putting one in the middle. When a ball gets pinched, the flap can’t make its full excursion and I should be able to detect a prolonged “middle” switch activation and reverse the servo.

#161 2 years ago

A mechanical switch and cam is turning out not to be as reliable as what I expect to get out of this Opto interrupter. I bought a few of these thinking I could use them on spinners but the gap wasn’t quite wide enough to make it work. Lucky for me I kept them and it should be perfect for this.

5D6FA0FA-EE46-4BCB-9FA6-A4D049DB450E (resized).jpeg5D6FA0FA-EE46-4BCB-9FA6-A4D049DB450E (resized).jpeg

#162 2 years ago

Here’s a list of all the things I’m doing to mitigate a marginal diverter flap design:
    1: Put a fuse on the servo. My reading says that the servo should draw about 300 mA when moving and draws about 2 A when jammed. I’m putting a 1A fuse on the power line. 2: my replacement servo is a digital servo that allows me to program a power reduction when jammed. So far the drivers have failed to load properly under windows 10. If I can get this figured out I will program a step down in power when jammed to be a backup to the fuse. 3. After stops are welded in, l’ll deactivate the servo after the flap position is reached or a timer has expired. 4. Use the middle position optical gap switch (above) to detect movement of the diverter flap. If the switch stays active more than 500 ms, reverse the direction and try again. 5. Make the servo easier to swap out so if it fails at a show I will be able to do a 30 minute repair/calibration to have the machine running again.

#163 2 years ago

I am wired up and the switch is working. Now for a little calibration and testing.

03E04D36-5EE8-4406-B868-97F9362507A8 (resized).jpeg03E04D36-5EE8-4406-B868-97F9362507A8 (resized).jpeg
    #166 2 years ago

That’s a good idea. The servo would still be working against the spring but not with nearly the force of it grinding against a steel ball. Maybe I could mill something out of aluminum to hold the spring(s). It would be an interesting fix. Thank you.

3 weeks later
    #167 2 years ago

Update on the ball pinching flap diverter: For now I am sticking with the above redesign. I had to rewrite my servo control routines using a state machine in MPF. In addition to logic that’s a lot easier to follow, I also have mitigation steps that detect when the servo has triggered and didn’t make the full arc. Now a jam causes the servo to reverse and try again. It works in both test and real play so I’m going to stick with it even though it’s an imperfect solution. If it would not require a significant redesign I would either use a servo plus spring mechanism or drive the diverter with a stepper motor which would be undamaged by a jam.

4 months later
    #168 2 years ago

Greek Gods is heading to Pinball Expo (Chicago Oct 28-30). I had some friends over to test play the home brew. No crashes or stuck balls. They did find some minor modifications for me to make to the font and rules. I have been worried that the game is either too hard or too easy but it seems to be right on the mark for a skilled player. Overall it looks like it’s going to play great.

#171 2 years ago

An important thing I learned in play testing is that the prompts given by the call-outs, playfield and backbox screens aren’t nearly as effective in teaching a new player how to run the game as I thought they would be. (This is always a big problem when learning a new pinball machine.) To hopefully solve this, I’m creating a slide kit for the attract mode. Pressing the flipper buttons activates the kit and pages through a subset of slides devoted to the rules of the game identifying the strategy and important shots.

#173 2 years ago

Those are good tips. Thank you. I will clear my audits before the show starts so I can keep some statistics. It might be fun to throw those numbers up on the attract mode. If I get ambitious I might turn it into a plot versus time. That would be a cool slide to have.

#174 2 years ago

I'm working up my instruction slide deck for the attract mode. When not playing, hitting the knee switch causes attract mode to stop playing the attract display loop and instead starts showing a tutorial of the game. The tutorial shows on the back box monitor. I'll try to finish the ten or so slides over the weekend before I have more people over to test the machine in advance of bring it to Expo in Chicago. Comments and suggestions welcome. Here is the first slide.

instructions_intro-01 (resized).pnginstructions_intro-01 (resized).png
    #176 2 years ago

Argh! I misspelled Sisyphus. Correcting.... I really should have my daughter reading these slides first.

#177 2 years ago

Slide 2.

instructions_prmb (resized).pnginstructions_prmb (resized).png
    #178 2 years ago

Slide 3.

instructions_knee_switch (resized).pnginstructions_knee_switch (resized).png
    #180 2 years ago

I'm putting an extra switch on order in case somebody gets mad and tries to rack my big blue button.

#181 2 years ago

Slide 4.

instructions_ormb (resized).pnginstructions_ormb (resized).png
    #182 2 years ago

Slide 5.

instructions_power_ball-01 (resized).pnginstructions_power_ball-01 (resized).png
    #183 2 years ago

Slide 6.

instructions_mystery (resized).pnginstructions_mystery (resized).png
    #184 2 years ago

Slide 7.

instructions_outlanes (resized).pnginstructions_outlanes (resized).png
    #185 2 years ago

Slide 8.

instructions_goddess (resized).pnginstructions_goddess (resized).png
    #186 2 years ago

Slide 9.

instructions_super_spinner-01 (resized).pnginstructions_super_spinner-01 (resized).png
    #188 2 years ago

Those are just the ones worth highlighting!

#189 2 years ago

Bingopodcast Found some typos. Fixing them now. Thank you!.

#190 2 years ago

Slide10.

instructions_hydra (resized).pnginstructions_hydra (resized).png
    #191 2 years ago

Here is a slide I'm adding to the attract mode. The QR code takes the people back here to pinside.

attract_insides (resized).pngattract_insides (resized).png
    #193 2 years ago

Yes I do. Thank you. Our friend Nick of Bingo Podcast noticed that too. Correcting. I should have put the number of line of python code in the machine folder. Zero! It proves how complex a game can be made just with the framework. In the last version of the game I had about 100 lines of python you helped me with to make a custom rule for accelerating balls past optos. If there is time I will fold this back into the code for Expo in ten days.

#194 2 years ago

I'm adding in this P3-ROC slide to my attract mode to give Multimorphic its due. I pulled the P3 logo from some corner of the net. Adding ROC as 3D text should have taken 3 min in photoshop but dragged out about an hour because photoshop 22 is broken and Adobe has discontinued 3D support! This was a nice feature for extruding a layer into a 3D object and adding a light effects and shadow. I dug around for an explanation and Adobe is saying the change is because the 3D back ends have changed with updated hardware and (my interpretation) its too much work to rewrite it. 3D support has been in photoshop for about 8 years now and was a major feature of the platform distinguishing it from free options. While I've felt that Adobe has been falling behind for many years this is the most glaring example I've seen to date. Regarding the ROC, eventually I just plopped down the text and added an appropriately angled shadow. Imperfect but passable.

p3roc (resized).pngp3roc (resized).png

#195 2 years ago

I need some quality vector art for the 4K back box screen. With expo a little over a week away, I am buying some art rather than having my artist render it a fresh. The best art I’m seeing is on adobe stock. Licensing it however is very confusing. But I finally fInally figured it out. You can’t buy images or vector art for $10 each any more. It’s only by subscription. The default subscription is $30 a month with ten images monthly and unused credits cary over. 1 month free trial. Here is the catch: if you don’t cancel within 30 days the $30 a month is charged x 12 and you can’t exit the contract for a year! After a year it’s month by month. Or you can get the cancel any time contract for 30 a month but only 3 assets are granted a month. I needed 4 assets and went with the monthly plan. Now that I am subscribed, I picked up the fourth asset for a one time charge of $10 which I feel is fair given the quality. By the way, the artist get 1/3 of the proceeds. After I wrap up this phase, I plan to cancel the subscription, hopefully without any sludge from Adobe.

#196 2 years ago

Pinball Expo countdown: 3 days. Here in Kansas City I’ve been deep in the programming putting the finishing touches on Greek Gods. The few who have played it previously will notice a new score screen, refined messages to the player, cleaned up light shows and a rich sound track honoring the earlier work of Danny Elfman. Along the way I managed to swat some difficult to find corner-case bugs. Fingers crossed more don’t show up on final testing tomorrow.

#197 2 years ago

All the music is installed and I’m not finding bugs when testing. Tomorrow I’m taking of the back box, legs, removing the monitor, and the mini playfield. In the evening I’ll be loading it into the SUV for an 8 hour drive to Expo.

#198 2 years ago

8 hours of driving in the driving rain and Greek Gods has arrived in Schaumburg Illinois for Pinball Expo. Inspection found the MOBO’s graphic card dislodged but it reseated and after reattaching the back box and reconnecting about a dozen plugs it fired fight up. Only one optical switch was out of alignment. Everything is running great. Jack Danger broke it in with the first game!

#200 2 years ago

Seeing scores of people play Greek Gods is a lot of fun. In the process, the more skillful players are uncovering some minor logic problems that I didn’t know existed. One of the core features of the game is that if you score high enough, you get to redeem your soul in the underworld and get a fourth ball on the main playfield. The error I am seeing is that if you already earned an extra ball the logic sends the player to the underworld before the extra ball is used up. This morning I set up for some last minute coding. Half way through, an air handler started raining on the home brews. I am not to be deterred.

882C9FE2-8A01-469D-A6D9-782A9579CD66 (resized).jpeg882C9FE2-8A01-469D-A6D9-782A9579CD66 (resized).jpeg
    #201 2 years ago

No more rain falling on Greek gods. My final adjustments to the code to fix the extra ball issue and now people are playing steadily. The machine is holding up beautifully. If you are at expo, come and get in line.

B60ADAAA-6102-47DD-B2A4-285BF05715BD (resized).jpegB60ADAAA-6102-47DD-B2A4-285BF05715BD (resized).jpeg
    #208 2 years ago

Thanks for checking it out!. Three days of hard play taught me a lot about the game and how to improve it. For instance: I don’t think anybody found their way to either goddess multi ball or hydra battle multi ball. Both are extremely cool modes but I made the qualifications too difficult for any but the most experienced player on the game to complete. And then there was the problem of the polycarbonate sheet atop the wood of the underworld play field warming up and expanding this creating a bow in the middle of the underworld preventing the ball from draining properly. Also, the right Powerball shot is too hard to make routinely. This problem I can solve with rewelding the Newton Ball mech. Lastly, to make the game flow like butter, I will need to rework the ramp and wire forms, most likely from scratch. That’s a good weeks worth of work. But all these are worthwhile changes before showing it again next year.

#210 2 years ago

I remember that crash! There is a special light show for double Multiball I wanted to show you. I should have pulled the glass and set it up for you to finish the game. Bad on me.

Regarding the number of multiballs, it depends how you count it. You can get a 3 ball multiball with two balls locked on the left ramp, a 3 ball multiball with two balls locked on the right ramp, a 5 ball (double multiball) with two balls left and two balls right, A three ball scoop multiball which is an award by the mystery award, a four ball multi ball which is awarded after the player acquires all four goddesses, and my favorite, a six ball multiball for hydra battle.

Hydra battle works like this: after rolling over the hydra insert 25 times (it contains a hidden sensor) Hydra battle begins. At the beginning of the battle, Hydra is awarded 15 hit points. You have to roll over the insert sensor 15 times to kill hydra. Every few times you roll over the sensor, another ball is served up to six balls. With each ball served, the screen animation shows hydra growing another head. The goal is to get hydra killed before any of your six balls drain.

Someday I would like to write a wizard mode that involves both a multi ball on the top play field while keeping the lower play field ball in play.

1EB1C0EF-FA54-489F-B483-AD5D9AC96355 (resized).jpeg1EB1C0EF-FA54-489F-B483-AD5D9AC96355 (resized).jpeg
    #212 2 years ago

As I said or above, I made the steps to qualify things too hard. I’m not a particularly good player and I thought that the professionals would walk all over the machine. I’m scaling back the difficulty about 25% which will just about assure Hydra multi ball or goddess multiple by the end of the game.

1 month later
    #213 2 years ago

Rule refinements, light shows and music progress continues on Greek Gods. I’ll be posting more video of gameplay after the holidays in anticipation of TWIPY awards.

I want to thank everybody who has pre-voted Greek Gods for best TWIPY home brew. If anybody else wants to register a pre-vote and put Greek Gods Officially on the ballot, you can do it at https://twipys.com/2021-pre-voting/

- Coleman

1 week later
    #214 2 years ago

Input magazine did a great article on homebrew pinball covering all the fantastic work at expo. Here is the link. Enjoy! https://www.inputmag.com/culture/homebrew-pinball-expo-2021

#216 2 years ago

I remain impressed with the quality of the input magazine article. The Jess Wizler spent many hours with the homebrew crowd and followed up with questions after the show. The tidbit he quotes about building a pinball machine is that it’s “like a STEM class in a box. Every discipline is there, from woodworking to programming” was particularly insightful.

#217 2 years ago

Greek Gods is in the running for a TWIPY best home brew! For anybody interested, here is a draft of the synopsis and a few pictures to accompany the voting. It's an honor to be considered! Fingers crossed.

"The Greek Gods homebrew pinball machine is a beast with two playfields, two monitors, four flippers, seven slingshots, 5 pops, 5 magnets, 3 ball locks, 2 spinners and hand welded wireforms. I built it as a family project which ended up taking over 2 years to be show ready. We have my 10 year old to thank for the Greek Gods theme, digital art, and callouts. My 17 year old conceptualized the layout and provided unflinching feedback on the whitewood gameplay. My wife dreamed up the Sisyphus feature, an over the orbit horseshoe wireform containing a ceramic ball that, when hit, controls the central ramp diverter providing access to each of the two on-the-ramp locks. Family play testing showed that the slingshots in the upper left of the playfield needed pizzazz. So, the idea emerged for these to be under the player’s command by pressing a big button with the knee transferring control of the main flippers to the slingshots to really rack up the points.

On my side, I wanted to explore new design elements in pinball. I drafted the playfield around a 10” LCD screen which bedazzles with hand drawn animations, flashes arrows to call the shots, and informs the player of progress toward locking balls. I have an obsession with light shows. Using laser cut ball guides I placed over 500 individually controlled LEDs in all lanes and along the orbit. Hidden proximity sensors synchronize the light shows to ball movement around the playfield. All this hardware serves Greek Gods’ 6 multiball modes including an insane hydra battle where with every neck severed, another ball is served. Lose a single ball and hydra wins. If a skilled player has earned enough points, draining the final ball allows entry into the underworld, a mini playfield normally hidden by the central LCD screen. The screen “magically” becomes transparent revealing flippers, slingshots, and targets. The player’s ball travels through hidden caverns and past invisible magnets which accelerate the ball to insane speeds. Survivors of the underworld earn a resurrection on the main playfield continuing the game."

#218 2 years ago
    gg_whole (resized).jpggg_whole (resized).jpg
    #219 2 years ago
    gg_playfield (resized).jpggg_playfield (resized).jpg
    #220 2 years ago
    gg_underworld (resized).jpggg_underworld (resized).jpg
    #222 2 years ago

stefanmader I’m a big fan of tree house too! It is great what you are doing with vertical space. Like yours, think my next pin will be something with a very unconventional shape.

#224 2 years ago

TWIPY voting for the best machines of 2021 is open. Please consider voting Greek Gods for the homebrew category.

https://twipys.com/2021-twipys-ballot/

#226 2 years ago

Time to redo the underworld, folks. There are a few things that need fixing on Greek Gods before the next show. One of them is the underworld. Two years ago, wanting to shortcut the clear coat step on the mini-playfield I used a thin sheet of PETG over the white painted wood. this worked fine until when at Expo, after the machine was on for several hours, the PTEG expanded creating a bow in the middle of the mini-playfield which caused the ball to get stuck and not drain. I compensated for this by increasing the slope of the machine to about 8.5 degrees but then people could not make the shot on the upper playfield zinging the caged powerball from one side of the orbit to the other. Clearly, the PTEG has to go. That means taking of all the mechs. While I am at it I might as well just scan the playfield, bring it into CAD and fix few geometry issues to make the underworld more fun to shoot.

#227 2 years ago

Disassembly begins. There are a bunch of constraints to the re-design. The mounting points to the main playfield have to stay in the same spots and the length of the ball guides must be the same. But the position of the loops are up for reinterpretation so long as they meander around the pop bumpers and slingshots upstairs.

F2ADC1AA-252C-40F4-8FB6-943C791A6A98 (resized).jpegF2ADC1AA-252C-40F4-8FB6-943C791A6A98 (resized).jpeg
    #228 2 years ago

Top side hardware and ball guides are removed. I will scan it in segments. Having lines will help Photoshop to stitch them together as a uniform image to import.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #229 2 years ago

Too big to scan as a single piece. This old school flatbed lays against the playfield, a trick I learned from NBX’s maker.

#230 2 years ago

Scanning piecemeal and stitching in photoshop is a trick I learned from NBX’s maker.

F61B0D65-217C-4472-8BCD-529554A0DE59 (resized).jpegF61B0D65-217C-4472-8BCD-529554A0DE59 (resized).jpeg
    #232 2 years ago

Here are the completed files, bottom and top ready to trace in Fusion 360. Had I made the lower playfield in CAD rather than with a jig saw I would not have to go through all this rigamarole.

bottom25percent (resized).pngbottom25percent (resized).pnggoodtop25percent (resized).pnggoodtop25percent (resized).png
    #233 2 years ago

All done tracing in Fusion 360. I moved the slingshots up a bit and opened the lower left tunnel entrance which had been an all but impossible direct shot. I cleaned up the eject coil mounting, too. Now I'll save it as a DXF file and move over to the CNC.

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 3.43.14 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-01-09 at 3.43.14 PM (resized).png
    #235 2 years ago

Thanks for the vote! Once I get the mini-playfield rebuilt you will have to come and play locally.

#236 2 years ago

Mini playfield is painted flat white, sanded lightly and re-coated. I will wait three days for the paint to cure and then topcoat it with 2K. Where I work there’s a paint shop and they let me use their hood when I top coated the main play field. This is a real plus since I can’t topcoat it outside this time of year and the garage is too cold.

#237 2 years ago

While I’m waiting for the spray paint to cure, I’ll use this time to think about the service menu buttons. Rather than using switch inputs, I think I will go with a miniature USB keypad. The framework will see the keypresses and fire events for changing volume, testing coils and activating mini games. To get the most out of a few keys, I’m going with a stream deck. This looks really sweet. The deck can be flashed with icons under the key caps in a context aware fashion. https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/elgato-stream-deck-mini-keypad-usb/apd/aa357508/gaming-gaming-accessories

#238 2 years ago
    B21E0817-A11C-4A03-8497-8F2EA3DDBF9D (resized).jpegB21E0817-A11C-4A03-8497-8F2EA3DDBF9D (resized).jpeg
    #240 2 years ago

Thank you. I keep looking for new things to try. There have been a bunch of fails along the way but the good things I’ve kept and they have added up to a machine that’s fun to play.

#241 2 years ago

Love the 2K clear coat for a small job. But, the stuff is toxic as hell in your lungs. Work is letting me use a paint hood. I brought my own respirator and over the course of the day will put about 10 coats on this baby wet sanding in between.

10598323-F756-458F-BD25-9AEA41D44384 (resized).jpeg10598323-F756-458F-BD25-9AEA41D44384 (resized).jpeg
    #243 2 years ago

I put down the first two coats 10 min apart and then waited 30 min before wet sanding with 400 and 800. I would’ve preferred 600 but didn’t have it. Subsequent coats looks so perfect I am reluctant to do any more sanding with 1000+.This part of the pinball machine is viewed through the transparent LCD display so small imperfections won’t be seen. Mostly, I just need a durable finish. I have five coats on now and it’s looking very mirror like. The can is getting light. I’ll be lucky to get two more coats.

#244 2 years ago

TWIPY voting for the best machines of 2021 is closing soon. Please have a look at the home-brews and consider voting Greek Gods for the homebrew of the year. https://twipys.com/2021-twipys-ballot/

#245 2 years ago

Redoing the mini play field gives me an opportunity to change some of the wiring. Originally, I used 12 V lamps as flashers in the slingshots. These were controlled directly with the PD-16 driver board. The problem was, even though the flashers are very bright they are still washed out by the overpowering illumination from above. So I’m skipping them entirely on this iteration. This gives me eight new drivers to play with. I will designate the bank for 48 V and drive each of the mini flippers with dual wound coils. No more annoying buzz for me.

#246 2 years ago

The new and improved underworld is coming together nicely. While it looks almost identical to the old one, there are many small changes. Most notably, the lower opening to the left loop has been widened to allow the right flipper to make the shot. Also, the slingshots have been re-angled to propel the ball back through the loop. I am expecting some crazy figure 8 activity between the two loops and the slingshots. Lastly, I added two (blue) proximity sensors to the midline loop openings. This will allow shots that make it partway up the loop and fall backwards to be detected. With a little luck, I’ll finish the wiring today and get to try it out.

1A4CC227-F1C6-4CC8-B1E0-EDFD5D4DCE31 (resized).jpeg1A4CC227-F1C6-4CC8-B1E0-EDFD5D4DCE31 (resized).jpeg
    #247 2 years ago

A friend was asking about the proximity sensors. I’m using the 18 mm diameter sensors. These have an effective range of about 5 mm. On the main playfield, I hide them under 3.5 mm of wood and they work just fine, completely hidden. Here, they won’t show in the loops so I just drilled them through. It’s important to get the Z/BY PNP type sensor. The BX sensor doesn’t work. A resistor that ties the output to ground is necessary to pull down the output while the sensor is waiting for a ball to pass over it. I have found these sensors to be incredibly reliable provided the ball guide has the ball more or less centered over the sensor.

#248 2 years ago
    DD5A9AE4-D15C-4089-A216-D8DE20B37FCC (resized).jpegDD5A9AE4-D15C-4089-A216-D8DE20B37FCC (resized).jpeg
    #250 2 years ago

Good question. I decided to add to proximity sensors after I finished my CNC cutting. After the ball guides were attached it was much easier to cut a pair of round holes with a Forstner bit than cut slots for rollovers. Optical switches would’ve worked fine also but drilling a pair of holes through the steel after it’s already mounted can be a messy prospect. And, I had a pair of spare proximity sensors on hand which I was happy to use up. In my opinion, they don’t get enough use in pinball. They are highly reliable don’t need cleaning and easier to wire than an optical transmitter and receiver.

#252 2 years ago

I do the sensor under my largest insert in the lower segment of my playfield also. One of the modes is hydra battle where the player has to hit the low center insert about 18 times with it adding additional balls every 4 hits all without loosing a ball. I’ve only done it once.

1 week later
    #253 2 years ago

The new mini-playfield shoots well. Here is a one minute video of play on it before I re-mounted it to the main playfield. Have a look.

#256 2 years ago

Thanks. My meanwell power supply runs at 48v. The magnet pulses up to 100 ms or until the ball crosses the edge of the magnet. One feature I am trying to solving in code is to have the magnet catch the ball and deliberately reverse its direction. I can’t get it to happen but the spar it is not reliable. The purpose is to keep the player guessing as to which tunnel the ball will come out of and how fast it will be going.

#258 2 years ago

Yes. That’s exactly it. Catch the ball and if you’re going uphill drop it and then fling it back again. But you have to have a rule in place that if it doesn’t clear the magnet on the fling not to keep trying over and over again.

#259 2 years ago

I found I needed a minimum of four optical switches to make this work.
    Switch—switch—Magnet—switch—switch
    The first switch fires the magnet. The second switch is positioned at the edge of the magnet and turns off the magnet if the pulse is still going. The other two switches are for the same thing when coming the other direction.

#263 2 years ago

Thanks! It’s even better when installed under the transparent monitor. MPF superimposes GIFs of bats flying over the playfield as the ball enters and leaves the tunnels. Also it flashes points over the targets when they are hit.

1 week later
    #265 2 years ago

For now, I'm thinking of the graphics over the mini playfield as placeholders. The flying bats, crawling bugs and Stalactites/mites are functional and even amusing. But, eventually I would like to port the graphics over to Unity for something truly eye popping.

3 weeks later
    #266 2 years ago

It’s looking like Solid State Pinball is going to have a pinball play area at Planet Comicon this year, April 22-24 at Bartle Hall, downtown Kansas City Missouri. https://planetcomicon.com/
    I am refreshing the code and fixing up the diverters which gave me a bit of trouble at Expo. I’m hoping to get hundreds of games on Greek Gods at Comicon. There’s even talk of a tournament. Celebrity maker Adam Savage will be doing photo ops and pictures. It would be fun if he stopped by.

#268 2 years ago

I am working out a couple minor hardware bugs to get Greek Greek ready for the next show. The left side wireform lock has been trouble. The plugs I used projected slightly into the ball path and too many brushes with the ball caused the connection to fail. The fix was to wire the lock’s circuit board directly with a ribbon cable. I’m using the opportunity to replace the LEDs with Pinball Life GI RGB LEDs. These are much brighter than the 5 mm Adafruit ones I originally put on. The ribbon cable comes through the playfield and connects to a breakout board with a plug. All is tight and connections are made.

D15270C0-04CF-44D6-8E61-88E0F26D0E1F (resized).jpegD15270C0-04CF-44D6-8E61-88E0F26D0E1F (resized).jpegE53402F7-3D90-45EF-B7DE-C2171F6076C5 (resized).jpegE53402F7-3D90-45EF-B7DE-C2171F6076C5 (resized).jpeg
    1 month later
    #269 1 year ago

Hey everybody! Greek Gods will be at the Kansas City Comicon this weekend April 22 to 24th. Solid State Pinball has a pinball area of machines from Solid State plus machines from local pinball enthusiasts. For people who played Greek Gods in Chicago (or in my basement), I promise better games since I've been steadily tuning up the rules, software, light shows and mechanicals. See you there!

#270 1 year ago

Greek Gods is up and running Friday - Sunday at Planet Comicon in Kansas City. It’s part of an exhibition area with 15 machines. GG is on free play along with Shrek and LED Zeplin. Inside the pay to play area are a bunch of great machines including TNA and a P3. Hope to see people there.

#271 1 year ago

On location at Planet Comicon in Kansas City This weekend.

D78F0663-CC8D-4EFD-8A79-833896405431 (resized).jpegD78F0663-CC8D-4EFD-8A79-833896405431 (resized).jpeg
    #272 1 year ago

Greek Gods played flawlessly all day -no crashes from MPF, all of the switches and hardware for working properly. I couldn’t be happier with the P3-Roc / MPF platforms. I stayed up last night coding new hooks for music that I composed on the OP-Z synth. The music and updated software is uploaded to github and ready to pull into the machine when I get to the convention center later this morning.

#273 1 year ago

Had my first repair: The nut fell off of the flipper button. Easy Peasy. This thing is getting hammered today.

0716152E-150F-4992-B229-217D51098B9C (resized).jpeg0716152E-150F-4992-B229-217D51098B9C (resized).jpeg

1 week later
    #275 1 year ago

Firing up Greek Gods at home after Comicon found that the PCIe graphics adapter had come unseated from the motherboard. This is a recurrent problem since I did not have room for a proper MOBO case and back plane to screw it into position. The monitor sits just in front of the MOBO and hits against the graphics adapter. At some point the monitor is going to press and to crack a tracing on my MOBO. So I decided to move the graphics adapter with a Corsair Premium PCIe x16 3.0 Extension Riser Cable. I did not know about these 30 cm cables that let you put a graphics adapter in an unconventional location. For my setup I mounted the Raedon directly against the back of the back box and pull air from the room. It looks nice and tidy with a 3d printed screen.

Now that I'm up and running again, I checked the audits. 3 days of Comicon recorded 860 start button presses. In all the games, I only had to adjust an opto, tighten the nut on my flipper button and restart MPF a couple times because the slides were getting sluggish. All and all a great showing.

5 months later
    #276 1 year ago

I’ve been quietly developing the next phase of the Greek Gods homebrew pinball project. For the last 9 months I’ve been learning the OP-Z, Teenage Engineering’s synthesizer/sequencer. Weekly lessons with Davnak, an electronic music artist, producer and OP-Z guru have born fruit. This week I installed my original music into Greek Gods and will debut it next week in Chicago at Pinball Expo. I hope to see many familiar faces from last years show. Come give Greek Gods a play - and a listen.

#280 1 year ago

Original music is just one of the changes on Greek Gods. Last year, the light shows were rudimentary not really taking advantage of the machine’s 768 RGB LEDs. I hadn’t yet tapped the potential of MPF’s display_light_player. This is a fantastic little corner of the framework. It takes a map of the position of each of the LEDs and uses them as pixels, controlling them as if they were part of a giant (low res) monitor. The upshot is that any graphic element, shapes, sweeps, rotating bars, etc. can be played live across the playfields LEDs. It made it super easy to create very complex, dynamic light shows that change with the game variables.

#282 1 year ago

It is similar to show creator. Both take the LED positions. In Show creator you provide a shape and a direction for that shape to moves across the map. Then show creator generates the yaml for a show that can be played by MPF. The difference is that display_light_player runs live during your game and becomes a target for slides and widgets. Anything that can be displayed in real time with Kivi can be sent to display_light_player, even video. Want a flame pattern sent to the playfield lights? Just find a gif and put it on a slide. display_light_player does the rest. The images from display_light_player ride on top of the normal lights and don't interfere with other shows. The player never knows it's there until a wild sweep or swirl pattern whooshes through the playfield.

#284 1 year ago

For those unfamiliar, the OP-Z is a small handheld synthesizer and sequencer. Through professional EM creators regard Teenage Engineering's OP-1 and OP-Z as "toys" they are surprisingly capable, particularly for a newbie like me looking for some 80's or early 90's style arcade themes. I hope the people at Expo like it!

opz_cm (resized).jpgopz_cm (resized).jpg
    #286 1 year ago

It certainly comes at a price premium. They seem to style themselves after Apple in that respect. But it’s been a solid performer. I’ve used the hell out of it over the last 10 months and if continues to function as designed.

#287 1 year ago

1 day left to polish up the code before I take the head and legs off Greek Gods and slide it into the back of the SUV for the long trip to Chicago. Because the machine uses physical ball locks on the ramps, some of the side missions can’t run if there is a ball locked. Today I’m experimenting with some new code to be more permissive in this respect. I’m hoping that more people will hit the side missions which I think are a lot of fun.

#288 1 year ago

A few hours of coding and play testing has paid off. Now with a little practice average to good players can reach the hydra battle and goddess multiball. Game scores should be considerably higher this year with those modes played.

#289 1 year ago

Last year Greek Gods had a few mechanical issues I was unable to resolve at Expo. The biggest one related to the lower playfield requiring a 8 degree tilt on the machine. The steep tilt not only made the game a bit too fast but it required a spot-on, full force shot to move the captive ball from the far left of the playfield to the far right. Since the captive ball controls the ramp diverter, the game just does not work without that shot. Clearly the old lower playfield had to go. With the redesign of the lower playfield the slope of the machine is now best at 6.5 making the power ball shot work and very satisfying to hit.

#290 1 year ago

The machine has a slide deck of instructions for how to play the game. This slide discusses the powerball.

instructions_powerball (resized).pnginstructions_powerball (resized).png
    #291 1 year ago

Final code is pushed to the machine. I reduced the qualification score for the lower play field bonus game, where the player can redeem their soul from the underworld and earn an extra ball. This should allow for more exciting games for the novice players.

To improve stability, I reduced logging to minimal. Hours and hours of play can create a huge log file, and eventually crash the system. since logging is still turned on I will have to periodically restart the game just for fun I queried the project folder for the total number of lines of yaml code: >97,000. The programming has grown by about a third since last expo.

#292 1 year ago

Greek Gods High Score Pinball Expo Contest:
    First second and third prize.

B1EC1E3C-6B14-434F-9CE6-ABEBEFC11054 (resized).jpegB1EC1E3C-6B14-434F-9CE6-ABEBEFC11054 (resized).jpeg
    #294 1 year ago

Whew.... I was afraid somebody would pick a fight over which sauce was worthy of 1st place!

#301 1 year ago

Glad you are coming and can play Greek Gods. I’ve been hanging around the machine feeling like a monkey trainer, crossing my fingers that it does not start throwing poo. So far it’s holding up well. It crashed once when the log file got over 2.5 GB. A reboot had it going again. Unfortunately the kid playing was having a great game with multiple balls locked. Hope he comes back to play some more.

#303 1 year ago

Getting many plays at Pinball Expo. Overall feedback has been very positive. I’ve seen some great players have games far exceeding my own skill. I’ve also had a few random crashes which may be usb related. Next time it happens I’ll dig into the logs.

9E556FAA-556E-498F-A0FE-DD28A7C33A82 (resized).jpeg9E556FAA-556E-498F-A0FE-DD28A7C33A82 (resized).jpeg
    #304 1 year ago

Greek Gods is retiring from the show a day early. In the process of making some emergency repairs, I shorted out a board which I don’t have a replacement for. I want to thank everybody for playing Greek Gods being so gracious with your comments. Hope to meet up with you again at a future show.

#308 1 year ago

Glad you got to play! Early Saturday morning, I was running down bad signal on the scoop opto and accidentally blew a board of which I did not have a replacement. Rather than keep a non-playable machine in the lineup, I felt it best to pack it up. I have a party next weekend so I already have it open again swapping out that board, checking the ones down stream and then getting back to debugging that opto.

#310 1 year ago

Sad I couldn’t give it to you. You had a fantastic game.

#312 1 year ago

One of the greatest parts of expo is getting to meet your heros. Seeing the build process of Nightmare Before Christmas was part of what gave me the courage to attempt Greek Gods. So glad you got to play and impressed you played well enough to earn KC Joes sauce.

#314 1 year ago

Hi Expo friends. I finished my dive into what went wrong with the machine Friday night and can now better explain why I had to pull it off the line Saturday morning. Friday, I was getting a bunch of false hits on the scoop. I thought I probably had a wiring problem but wiggling the wires didn’t make a difference. Also, I had another Opto that was acting up intermittently. What both of these had in common was they are being driven by my 12 V supply. So, I took the machine off-line about 10 o’clock Friday night. I got up early Saturday and the first thing I did was start checking voltages. That’s when the big mistake happened. I was tagging the headers on the powerentry board with my voltmeter, and I accidentally shorted 5 V and 12 V together with my probe. There was an immediate release of smoke from the P3-ROC as its voltage regulator was overwhelmed. The one board I have never had a lick of trouble from is the P3-ROC. Because of that, I did not bring a replacement. When I got home, I found that the voltage spike also took down the graphics adapter on my ASUS motherboard. After replacing both of those parts, I went back to look at the Optos. The scoop Opto I had under powered. It was only passing 36 mA, which is roughly 1/3 of what the LED is rated for. In hindsight, I think that my machine was seeing a low line voltage and the 12 V power supply was sagging. This caused my scoop, opto to fail, because I put the incorrect amount of resistance on it, and it was chronically under powered (the other Opto was slightly misaligned). If there are any lessons to be learned it’s these: 1 Never probe your power entry board with a volt meter. 2. Bad power at a show is a real thing. 3. Repairs at a show are higher risk, then in the workshop. 4. When unrelated parts of the machine act up sometimes it’s a power issue.

#316 1 year ago

Stern shut me down! Too funny. That’s a ton of plays on elf. I never did get to the snowball fight. I should’ve kept playing until I hit it.

2 months later
    #319 1 year ago

Glad you got the sauce! I had a great time speaking to you after your awesome game on Greek Gods. Right now its getting play in my game room while it awaits me writing some more music and taking it to another show.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cmartin1235.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greek-gods-homebrew?tu=Cmartin1235 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.