(Topic ID: 194288)

*GREED* Knock three times, because your pricing is nuts.

By shacklersrevenge

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 141 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Manny10
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    501db64f978121e9177aa0c64e9e449e1d4251d7 (resized).jpg
    b124502c996eb1257c49f984c79ba48a329898d2 (resized).jpg
    Stern-Terminator-3-Pinball-Machine-Super-Bright-LEDS-_57 (resized).jpg
    greed (resized).jpg
    IMG_2482 (resized).PNG
    The_end_is_nigh_(1) (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (2) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 6 years ago

I am as honest of a person as you will ever find and I can't stand to see someone rip another person off but it's their games and they can put any price they want on them. When someone is making a big purchase like a pinball machine, you have got to do your homework and educate yourself. If you don't, it's nobody's fault but your own.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

That kind of mentality is exactly why a game is priced out of bounds. You want to ignore it and move on? So that other people can base their games starting price off some uneducated guess? Do you know how many times I've been asked "how much for a so and so?" Too many to count.
    We use listing prices and past sales as a selling compass, but that doesnt mean that all pins are created equal.
    Educated or not, "moving on" contributes to these ridiculous price spikes.
    Show me how a grand lizard for $2500 and a Batman Forever for $3700 are worth $1000 more over night, just because someone felt those numbers sound good to them.

So what you are really worried about is the prices of games going up In general sounds like. Pinball is like anything else, they are worth what people are willing to pay for them. That is what determines the price, PERIOD! Just because a couple of idiots pay 5K for a Stern Meteor, that doesn't mean that the prices of a Meteor is going to go up. You are concerned that you aren't going to be able to afford pins in the future, that's exactly what this is all about. You are worrying way way too much about this for real.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Knowledge is key, and you said it, when people stop waving their money around..
    Nobody on pinside loves pinball as much as I do. As much, maybe, but not more.
    With that said, the hobby used to be so different. Maybe the change to it all is what has me provoking thought, but the constant price pushing is extremely lame. Buyers and sellers need to stop and get a grip.
    Pinball is fun stuff, but once you realize that there's more to life than batting a steel ball around inside a wooden box, the more you will appreciate what pinball is really all about.

Pinball is no different than any other hobby. Right now pinball is very popular and people are really starting to love it again. There are new generations of players getting involved also instead of just us old farts from the 70's and 80's.....this is a great thing IMO because I love pinball and I want it to live on forever. The one downside to it though is the popularity of the hobby is what drives the price of these games new and old both.

This kinda sucks for me as well because I am not a rich guy by any means. I just an average Joe that goes to work everyday and I save my ass off to buy a game here and there, and it's not easy believe me. I could also be priced out someday if things keep going the way that they are. Heck, I already am priced out of a lot of games. I can't go pay 9K for a new DI machine, no way. I can't buy a BM66 or a Stern LE, thank God for Stern Pros is all I can say and truthfully I can't really afford them but I save my ass off to buy them if there's one I want.

The thing is though if Pinball loses it's popularity then prices are going to fall back to where they are sensible again and hell they may even plummet to almost nothing again someday. The economy is also another factor that drives these prices. Bottom line is I'm glad Pinball is getting popular again and I hope it keeps getting more popular, even if it does drive prices up. This is not even close to the same thing as me selling my like new Jack Bot to some uninformed kid that just inherited a bunch of money for 10K. That wouldn't raise the value on everyone's Jack Bots one penny and if anyone thinks it will then they need their head examined, and just for the record I wouldn't do that to someone even if I had the opportunity to.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I don't know about that. I remember a VERY clear example of a shill bid on an AFM on eBay back in 2013 - had its own topic right here on Pinside. That one went for $8000, and nearly overnight, all AFMs went up to the $6000 - $8000 level. Will never forget it, pissed me off like nothing else as that was my dream theme for 17 years at that point. It was even uncovered to be a shill bid, and it still had a lasting effect.
    Another thing that annoys me is people that put $2000 of mods on a game and expect to get it all back. I don't care how many $200 action figures someone glues onto a game with a single LED on it that comes on with the flashers....ColorDMD, PDI/Invisiglass, RD boards, and audio upgrades are a couple stand out examples. Buying a polar bear, installing an LED in it, and trying to sell it to me as part of your TAF for an extra $110 or whatever it is now = F off. Mods DO not add value (most).
    Also, when the HELL did XF become a $3000 game? Same with T3. These games are MORE than BSD or Fish Tales ?!?!? Everyone get a BSD before some nutcase sells a routed/planked example for $4500 -___- ...

Sorry but I just don't believe that one fake bid on EBay made everyone's AFM games skyrocket over night. I don't believe it would even if a game actually sold for that much. I have an old Supersonic and if I tried hard enough I could probably find a sucker out there somewhere that would way over pay me for my 700 dollar game, but even if I pulled that off it's not going to make everyone's Supersonics start selling for 3, 4, or 5K overnight. It's all about the popularity of a game, and the availability of a game. People want what they can't have, that's human nature and people want whatever is the flavor of the month or what's hot also. Maybe someday my Supersonic will gain in popularity and be worth more money, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Yeah, but at least JJP builds quality games.
    Stern can't stop taking things and upping the price.
    What you want a shaker with your LE? Too bad.
    Lockdown bar assembly? Nope.
    Support beams for the PF? F that noise.
    Latch assembly to hold the backbox in place? Pfft.
    Interactive toys on the Pro edition?!?!?!? PA-lease.
    Power switch in a logical spot??? Nope!
    Want an LCD? Watch this $200 increase!
    Got to save pennies while we charge you more!

Lots of chipping clear coat on the new DI games that are shipping right now. JJP games are also about 3K higher than a new Stern. I think I'll stick with my junky Sterns.

#101 6 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Yeah, I mean, why wouldn't you want an already ghosting SW?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/125#post-3884710
    Best way to end the madness and make Stern get their shit together is to stop buying them. But we all know that's just dreaming ; )...

I've been reading that thread and it sucks for sure, but we also don't really know how widespread the problem is just yet. I hope this isn't GB all over again. All of the AS playfields seem to be really nice, not sure why they all can't be that way. My point was though that everyone talks about how high of quality JJP is but they have had lots of trouble in the past as well, and these DI playfields are chipping pretty bad so far looks like. Both companies need to get these playfield problems figured out because it F'ing sucks.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider who-dey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greed-knock-three-times-because-your-pricing-is-nuts?tu=who-dey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.