(Topic ID: 89625)

Great/Good Games with Simple Rulesets. Will We Ever See One Again?

By davewtf

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

It seems like all the recent titles have had rulesets so deep that you're eyes glaze over reading or listening to someone explain them. Do you think we all ever have another great game with a simple set of rules that are also difficult to achieve the end result? I'm talking a BSD, FT or Jackbot kinda ruleset game.

#2 9 years ago

I don't think Tron is too complicated though that is 3 years old now. Haven't played Avengers or Start Trek so not sure there.

#3 9 years ago

CSI is like a sequel to Bram Stoker's Dracula

#5 9 years ago

Unfortunately I think those days are gone. Location play still exists, but I think most are bought for people's homes now. So games need something to survive in that arena. And that is deep rules. A game that had the exact same rules as BSD would be a disaster now. Three multiballs, two modes (bats and rats which are duplicates), and a video mode. That is the entire ruleset, and what I'm calling modes are really just hurryups for switch hits. Would anyone pay 8k for that in a brand new game? Don't get me wrong, one of my favorite games ever made, but I need more now.

Fortunately there are tons of games out there that already fill that need. Why would I need something with rules like BSD when I've got a BSD? There are B titles from the 90s that are exactly what you are asking for.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Why would I need something with rules like BSD when I've got a BSD?

why do we need all the fan layout games with the same shoot this 3x rulesets? Just playing devils advocate here.

#7 9 years ago

I think that they are doing a pretty good job with the rules now. Sure, most people aren't going to get to the main multiball, let alone the wizard mode, but there are still plenty of features for them to enjoy. There are easier objectives, like Gears Multiball on Mustang or The Ark on IJ4.

#8 9 years ago

BBH. Is a good basher

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greatgood-games-with-simple-rulesets-will-we-ever-see-one-again and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.