(Topic ID: 176)

Greatest single year of Pinball????

By dangermouse007

14 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

80_s.png
    #1 14 years ago

Hey guys, what you think was Pinball's greatest year??

I think its hard to go past 1993..so many great releases with Indiana Jones, Star Trek,Twilight Zone,Dracula,Whitewater,JudgeDredd.....

#2 14 years ago

one would have a very robust pinball collection if it was from 1993.i agree with you on 1993 as well. dont forget creature from the black lagoon was produced then too cant forget tales from the crypt or jurassic park either.

#3 14 years ago

I'm not going to stab at a year but mention an interesting movie I just got done watching. It's called "Tilt - The Battle to save Pinball". My wife found it for me at the library as it has a lot of info about the Pin2000 machine(s). I can't wait for the CRT's to come on Monday so I can install it in this guys Star Wars Episode One and bring home my Revenge from Mars. I'm pretty sure he's going to pick the one with the higher serial number as mine.

#4 14 years ago

Yep for sure! 92-93 were the best years of pinball for production! When the norm was 4-5000 machines produced and you pump out more than 20,000 with AF! That was the peak of pinball as well,but its so hard to pick just a particular year. Everyone is going to have their own opinion of course, and favorite machines. '96 Scared Stiff and TOTEM '97 CV and MM and NGG. For me it would be any system 11 machine from the 80's-90's. see, I can't even pick just one year!

#5 14 years ago

1997 might be a good year too after 1993, with 2 A-list machines CV and MM

#6 14 years ago

1993, no question.

There have been a lot of good years, but 1993 was just crazy.

#7 14 years ago

You forgot Rocky & Bullwinkle in that 1993 list! Tee'd Off was also a good game ("Did anybody actually teach you how to play this game?" and "You look like you need some serious help" were some of the fun quotes), and wasn't High Speed II: The Getaway also from 1993?
    Agreed, probably the best recent year of pinball production!

#8 14 years ago

You Cats got it all wrong,
    it has to be the greatest event in the history of pinball
    the transition Years 1976-to- 1977 the start of solid state & death bell of EMs
    http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?yr=1976-1977&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced
    just look at the numbers off the ipd

#9 14 years ago

If I really have to choose one year, it would be 1993 just because of those great wide body games.

But I still remember 1991 vividly, though: introduction of the Dot Matrix Display on a T2 in some arcade on holiday. Man, that was such a great experience. Seeing all those dots making up entire movies. Wow!

3 years later
    #10 11 years ago
    Quoted from dangermouse007:

Hey guys, what you think was Pinball's greatest year??
    I think its hard to go past 1993..so many great releases with Indiana Jones, Star Trek,Twilight Zone,Dracula,Whitewater,JudgeDredd.....

Don't forget Arnon Milchan, another '93 gem!

#12 11 years ago

Yep.....really old thread. Maybe someone thought 2012 or 2013 will give 1993 a run for its money?

I don't.....1993 still rules.

I've only owned 6 machines so far but four of them ran from 92-94 with two being 93's.

#13 11 years ago

75,000 Bally Hoo's were made/sold.

LTG : )

#14 11 years ago

No mention of 81???
    Aaahhh,kids...

#15 11 years ago

2013 will be. Several new manufacturers should debut their first pins and we will have real choices.

#16 11 years ago

For Bally, 1975. Exciting times as Wizard was developed and released.

#17 11 years ago

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

But I still remember 1991 vividly, though: introduction of the Dot Matrix Display on a T2 in some arcade on holiday

How come you guys get to go on holiday, and all we get is a holiday?

1993 was the first year I thought of, but for some reason 1972 and 1980 also came to mind.

#19 11 years ago

1990 was a giant step for pin-kind.

#21 11 years ago

Yes, I know it was a different time. But 1979 is hard to ignore. Flash, Globetrotters, Kiss, Gorgar, Paragon, Star Trek. Over 90000 units sold among them.

#22 11 years ago

This discussion always boils down to two years (1981 and 1993) and two or three honorable mentions. Choose your pleasure.

-Steve

#23 11 years ago

1992. When pinball games started to have a story and ending and made them worth playing. Before that. I never gave a shit about pinball. I appreciate some of the older games now, but if it wasn't for the advancements in software by 91-92, I would have never given it the time of day to get to this point.

#24 11 years ago

#25 11 years ago

1993 comes to mind.

#26 11 years ago

1981 . . That was the year the 11 year old me finally got up the nerve to drop a quarter into the brand new Xenon at the local pizza shop and learn how to play pinball.

#27 11 years ago

1991, 2, 3, 4, etc...

Damn you Street Fighter II!!! (II CE, II Turbo, etc...)
    *shakes 'Ryu-style' taped fist in air*

I could have been playing sweet, sweet, NEW DMD pinball the whole time!

Oh well,
    At least I got to play Black Knight; all the way through to Whirlwind, when they were brand spanking new.

#28 11 years ago

yea, SF 2 was the shit back then. OMG did I spend a ton of quarters into it. Well at first anyway. Once your good at it, everyone else pays for your games to play against you.

#29 11 years ago

1993. Mystery Castle too!

#30 11 years ago

I love dmds. But, you have to give credit where its due. This list is just Bally alone. Gottlieb had Black Hole plus others in this time frame. Ill take 1981 followed by 1980. The Bally list from 81 still makes a stellar collection 30 + years later.

Paragon, 1979
    Harlem Globetrotters On Tour, 1979
    Nitro Ground Shaker, 1979
    Silverball Mania, 1980
    Space Invaders, 1980
    Rolling Stones, 1980
    Skateball, 1980
    Xenon, 1980
    Flash Gordon, 1981
    Eight Ball Deluxe (8BD, EBD), 1981
    Embryon, 1981
    Fireball II, 1981
    Rapid Fire, 1981
    Fathom, 1981
    Centaur, 1981
    Medusa, 1981
    Elektra, 1981
    Vector, 1982
    Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man, 1982

#31 11 years ago

93 but for me personnally it was 1999....the end for most the beginning for me...South Park, Pin2k RFM, SWep1, I was hooked for the real first time...

#32 11 years ago

1947,the year the flipper was invented. without that none of the rest of it would matter.
    76-81-and 93 were awesome vintages for pins though. 86 was a good year also.

#33 11 years ago

This year, right now, Tron, Avengers, Xmen, Transformers NIB, Woz will certainly be delivered this year, is predator ready? Stern will probably have Star Trek ready soon, feel free to argue....

#34 11 years ago

There is no single best year.

#35 11 years ago

1993 was also the year I got married.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

1993 was also the year I got married.

Awesome, that was my sophomore year of High school, good times!

#37 11 years ago

#38 11 years ago

Nver a question 1980

80_s.png80_s.png

#40 11 years ago

2013 will be. I'm an optimist but think there is some sound logic behind this. Game technology is finally advancing past where it was in the 90's (color changing LEDs, LCD screens, Internet connected play, perhaps some clear LCD play field glass on one of the jpop machines).

Also, 2012 set it up really well with the production of good games by Stern and growth in the market attracting new blood like the predator boys.

#41 11 years ago

And it looks to get better every year after for a while too. Bring in the new!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greatest-single-year-of-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.