(Topic ID: 265657)

Round 1 - Greatest Pinball Game of All-Time - Tournament Edition 2020

By AFM95

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Matchup Voting”

• 1 Pirates of the Caribbean (JJP) VS 239 votes
      3%
    • 64 Tales From the Crypt 53 votes
      1%
    • 2 Medieval Madness VS 271 votes
      3%
    • 63 Indianapolis 500 30 votes
    • 3 Attack From Mars VS 256 votes
      3%
    • 62 Alien 52 votes
      1%
    • 4 Monster Bash VS 236 votes
      2%
    • 61 Ripley's Believe It or Not 61 votes
      1%
    • 5 Jurassic Park (Stern) VS 261 votes
      3%
    • 60 Houdini 39 votes
    • 6 Iron Maiden VS 244 votes
      3%
    • 59 Pinball Magic 55 votes
      1%
    • 7 Twilight Zone VS 246 votes
      3%
    • 58 X-Men 50 votes
      1%
    • 8 Lord of the Rings VS 232 votes
      2%
    • 57 Fathom 65 votes
      1%
    • 9 Metallica VS 251 votes
      3%
    • 56 Revenge From Mars 48 votes
      1%
    • 10 Deadpool VS 239 votes
      3%
    • 55 Judge Dredd 58 votes
      1%
    • 11 Indiana Jones (Williams) VS 244 votes
      3%
    • 54 KISS 54 votes
      1%
    • 12 AC/DC VS 194 votes
      2%
    • 53 No Good Gofers 101 votes
      1%
    • 13 Elvira's House of Horrors VS 138 votes
      1%
    • 52 Fish Tales 159 votes
      2%
    • 14 The Addams Family VS 249 votes
      3%
    • 51 Guns N' Roses (Data East) 50 votes
      1%
    • 15 Star Trek VS 196 votes
      2%
    • 50 Congo 98 votes
      1%
    • 16 Tales of the Arabian Nights VS 182 votes
      2%
    • 49 The Getaway: High Speed II 113 votes
      1%
    • 17 Star Trek (Williams) VS 228 votes
      2%
    • 48 Stranger Things 64 votes
      1%
    • 18 Dialed In VS 180 votes
      2%
    • 47 Whirlwind 121 votes
      1%
    • 19 Spider Man VS 210 votes
      2%
    • 46 Big Bang Bar 89 votes
      1%
    • 20 Theatre of Magic VS 207 votes
      2%
    • 45 Aerosmith 85 votes
      1%
    • 21 Batman 66 VS 161 votes
      2%
    • 44 Bram Stoker's Dracula 134 votes
      1%
    • 22 Wizard of Oz VS 171 votes
      2%
    • 43 Total Nuclear Annihilation 129 votes
      1%
    • 23 The Simpson's Pinball Party VS 191 votes
      2%
    • 42 Guardian's of the Galaxy 104 votes
      1%
    • 24 The Walking Dead VS 207 votes
      2%
    • 41 Star Wars (Stern) 87 votes
      1%
    • 25 Willy Wonka VS 169 votes
      2%
    • 40 Game of Thrones 119 votes
      1%
    • 26 Scared Stiff VS 172 votes
      2%
    • 39 Cactus Canyon 119 votes
      1%
    • 27 Tron: Legacy VS 173 votes
      2%
    • 38 FunHouse 123 votes
      1%
    • 28 The Big Lebowski VS 150 votes
      2%
    • 37 Black Knight - Swords of Rage 134 votes
      1%
    • 29 Cirqus Voltaire VS 147 votes
      2%
    • 36 Iron Man 153 votes
      2%
    • 30 White Water VS 208 votes
      2%
    • 35 Creature of the Black Lagoon 93 votes
      1%
    • 31 The Hobbit VS 129 votes
      1%
    • 34 The Shadow 169 votes
      2%
    • 32 Ghostbusters VS 183 votes
      2%
    • 33 Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle 110 votes
      1%

(Multiple choice - 9483 votes by 361 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

custom-64 (resized).png
    Round 2 Bracket 2 (resized).JPG
    Round 2 Bracket 1 (resized).JPG
    Record by Era (resized).JPG
    Record by Company (resized).JPG
    Round 2 Matchups (resized).JPG
    Round 1 Results (resized).JPG
    442201_1600w (resized).png
    Sample Voting.JPG
    Tournament Bracket 2.JPG
    Tournament Bracket 1.JPG
    Pinball Matchups.JPG
    There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

**Update** Round 1 voting has been closed - Round 2 voting is now open!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/round-2-greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition
    __________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Everyone,

Since I'm really missing March Madness and the Final Four (and let's be real, this quarantine thing is driving some of us nuts), I thought it would be fun to put together a tournament bracket using the Top 64 games, from Pinside's Top 100, to hypothetically decide what the Greatest Pinball Game of All-Time is.

I would assume most of us on Pinside understand how tournament brackets work (if you don't, PM me), so we'll get right to the meat and potatoes on how this bracket will run.

- How are the seeds determined? This is decided by today's (4/3/20) Pinside Top 100, we're only using the Top 64 ranked games. Yes, there was a three way tie at 64, but I went with Tales From the Crypt to represent that spot.

- Who "plays" who? #1 rank plays #64, #2 rank plays #63, #3 rank plays #62, and so on.

- How do we decide a winner? Your voting. There will be 32 matchups to start the first round, which will be cut down 16 next round, and so on. Once this round is complete, I will start a new thread with each round.

- How long is the voting open? Voting for the first round will stay open until 10pm EST/7pm PST Sunday. Votes will be tallied and the new round of 32 will start on Monday.

- Your voting poll is confusing, how do I know what to do? I have attached a matchup spreadsheet to make it as clear as possible. Also, I have taken a screenshot for sample voting for reference. When you look at the voting poll, you'll see something like this:

1 Pirates of the Caribbean (JJP) VS 64 Tales From the Crypt

As you can see above, the higher ranked game (which will be on the left) is Pirates, who is matching up again the lower ranked game (which will be on the right) Tales From the Crypt. Each individual matchup goes left to right. You would vote for one or the other, not both. If you do this right, you have an opportunity to vote 32 times this round.

- In an event there is a tie between the matchup, the higher ranked game will move on to the next round.

If anyone has any other questions, feel free to post below or send me a PM.

Last but not least, I hope this is fun for all of you as it is for me. There are some great matchups to vote on. Enjoy the tournament!
    Pinball Matchups.JPGPinball Matchups.JPGTournament Bracket 1.JPGTournament Bracket 1.JPGTournament Bracket 2.JPGTournament Bracket 2.JPG
    Sample Voting.JPGSample Voting.JPG

#2 4 years ago

Fun idea! Thanks for setting this up.

#3 4 years ago

Cool idea. Let the ranting begin.

#4 4 years ago

Thank you and you're welcome. I can certainly see some upsets coming - specifically Fish Tales over Scared Stiff; but it's way too early to tell.

#5 4 years ago

tales from the crypt is a top 64 game huh.
    442201_1600w (resized).png442201_1600w (resized).png

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

tales from the crypt is a top 64 game huh.
    [quoted image]

I don’t know if you’re joking or not but I love TF out of my TFTC

#7 4 years ago

Fish Tales looks like a strong contender for an upset.

Oh, Fun House got a tough draw against Tron. Tough to see either get an early elimination. I choose the revolutionary classic.

I'm surprised at the early lead Spider Man has against BBB.

#8 4 years ago

Again, way too early, but 25% of the matchups are trending toward upsets.

#9 4 years ago

Thanks for setting it up. White Water vs Creature, Scared Stiff vs Cactus Canyon… I'm going to miss 2 of those in the next round

#10 4 years ago

Some were so close for me... I didn't vote on either.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Some were so close for me... I didn't vote on either.

Flip a coin.

#12 4 years ago

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Next round!

#13 4 years ago

fun stuff....1/2 my picks will make the next round.....

#14 4 years ago

Two upsets in the making, while a handful of other matchups are close.

(40) Game of Thrones over (25) Willy Wonka

(34) The Shadow over (31) The Hobbit

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Two upsets in the making, while a handful of other match-ups are close.
    (40) Game of Thrones over (25) Willy Wonka
    (34) The Shadow over (31) The Hobbit

I see nothing wrong here.

#16 4 years ago

I can't believe the big Lebowski is ahead, how many are voting for it because it's rare?

#17 4 years ago

48 hours until voting closes. There are plenty of matchups that are still very close.

#18 4 years ago

This should get good in the next couple of rounds. It will boil down to the usual suspects, then the arguments will start...

#19 4 years ago

This is cool. I really went back and forth on quite a few of these. My only concern is that it’ll spawn another 10 threads about how the PINSIDE RANKINGS ARE BULLSHIT!

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

This should get good in the next couple of rounds. It will boil down to the usual suspects, then the arguments will start...

Great point. For how many people bitch about the Top 100 rankings, it has been fairly quiet on this thread.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from AFM95:

Great point. For how many people bitch about the Top 100 rankings, it has been fairly quiet on this thread.

It's because there are mismatches, and in some cases, some great games are going to get knocked out due to their low ranking against unworthy overrated titles...give it time...

#22 4 years ago

I got 16 moving on I think ( with some emotional votes that I knew would lose). Respectable....

#23 4 years ago

Game of thrones over wonka?
    Whats wrong with people?

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

I got 16 moving on I think ( with some emotional votes that I knew would lose). Respectable....

There is no right or wrong answer. Vote on any criteria you like.

For me, I'm voting strictly on how much I enjoy the pin. If NBAFB was in there, it would get my vote over a majority of the Top 64. People would definitely call me crazy.

Quoted from Dr-pin:

Whats wrong with people?

Wow, Wonka took the lead. That was a quick turnaround.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Whats wrong with people?

I have both and I think I like GoT over Wonka.

Just looked at the voting. Some great match ups. Whirlwind for the upset.

#26 4 years ago

Very interested in the Tron vs Funhouse. Those are both top 25 games for me.

#27 4 years ago

I don't think a pins Value should be ones main criteria

But to each their own

#28 4 years ago

One thing I don't like is the JJP pirates getting the number 1 seed. If you look at its ratings it only got number on this month because a bunch of people(my guess are owners) of the CE gave it all 10s in ratings. Its rating jumped from 8.729 to 9.661. I'm sure it won't matter in the first couple rounds, but might piss me off if one of my favorites gets bumped because its match up should have been different.

With that said, this is a pretty awesome thing to do. Thank you. I am really looking forward to watching this for the next few weeks and then posting how my favorites got screwed for a few weeks after it ends.

#29 4 years ago

I'll bet many people are voting for games they have never played. I have played every game on the list and some of the above games that look like they may win are not the better game. I guess just like in basketball there are going to be a few upsets. This will be interesting.

#30 4 years ago

Fun setup. I'm only sad because my beloved Gofers are losing out to ACDC (which is an excellent game also). Also happy because I didn't realize that I've played all of the top 64 aside from Alien.

#31 4 years ago

I voted for 14 underdogs

#32 4 years ago

Fishtales is beating Elvira by 2 votes
    Come on fish tales !

#33 4 years ago

Thanks AFM95! Was voting right along until I came to the Sophie's choice of LOTR vs Fathom. That was a hard one for me.

#34 4 years ago

I guess we can pass on match which are opposing games we have never played?

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

One thing I don't like is the JJP pirates getting the number 1 seed. If you look at its ratings it only got number on this month because a bunch of people(my guess are owners) of the CE gave it all 10s in ratings. Its rating jumped from 8.729 to 9.661.

I was surprised to see it jump to #1 as well. I recently owned the LE version, and while it is a great game, it's not #1 in my opinion; although you could make a case for it. Definitely somewhere in the Top 10 for me.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I guess we can pass on match which are opposing games we have never played?

It's completely up to you. Some have passed on voting because they haven't played one or both of the pins in the matchup.

#37 4 years ago

SM vs BBB is a die heart for me

#38 4 years ago

This is fun, can't wait to see how it plays out.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Very interested in the Tron vs Funhouse. Those are both top 25 games for me.

Remember when people complained that Tron was just a mirror image of Funhouse?

This is fun. Hard to believe a game I’ve only played once is ranked #1. And Deadpool is #10? There’s some recency bias in play here for sure. But hey, the rankings are the rankings and you got to start somewhere.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

One thing I don't like is the JJP pirates getting the number 1 seed. If you look at its ratings it only got number on this month because a bunch of people(my guess are owners) of the CE gave it all 10s in ratings. Its rating jumped from 8.729 to 9.661. I'm sure it won't matter in the first couple rounds, but might piss me off if one of my favorites gets bumped because its match up should have been different.
    With that said, this is a pretty awesome thing to do. Thank you. I am really looking forward to watching this for the next few weeks and then posting how my favorites got screwed for a few weeks after it ends.

It’s tempting to suggest just eliminating the ratings of CE or SLE owners of any game. If those games get whupped in the tourney, we’ll know we’re on to something.

#41 4 years ago

Cool, thx for doing this! Have that many people played tbl and really like it over bksor? I think I’ve seen the game once and didn’t play it because it was broken.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

Agreed. The NCAA tourney is seeded w dominant teams at the highest, down to smaller schools w great teams. The overall 1 seed generally has earned it. Fun to root for the underdog.

Pinside 100 has legitimate games that have earned dominance and then...well...not so much. A clear #1 contender is not being shown in the rankings sadly.

Can still root for " underdogs" yet they are really not. Will be fun to watch

BM66 vs BSD is killing me...love them both equally..

#43 4 years ago

This is awesome!! WOZ vs TNA, BM66 vs BSD, and Tron vs Funhouse were the toughest matchups for me in round one.

#44 4 years ago

Time to bitch. I can't believe GOT is gonna lose out to Wonka. And EHOH is light years better than Fish Tales but is losing because so many people haven't played it yet. Thanks for doing the bracket!

#45 4 years ago

NGG takes it all.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Time to bitch. I can't believe GOT is gonna lose out to Wonka. And EHOH is light years better than Fish Tales but is losing because so many people haven't played it yet. Thanks for doing the bracket!

I've played EHOH and Fish Tales more than a few times. They are completely different feeling games, of course. But I prefer Fish Tales by a hair -- just pure fun IMO. One of my fave B/W's

GOT is a better game than Wonka, agreed. Usually, art doesn't get in the way of the way I feel about a game, but GOT is so freaking ugly that it actually detracts from my enjoyment of the game.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

Its an incredible game....u should play one sometime....does it deserve to be number 1....ahh probably not, but who the hell knows....

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Time to bitch.

About time guys!

#49 4 years ago

Great idea! All of those games would make for the GOAT collection.

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

GOT's entire art package holds it back. EHOH is closing in on Fish Tales!

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer67:

I've played EHOH and Fish Tales more than a few times. They are completely different feeling games, of course. But I prefer Fish Tales by a hair -- just pure fun IMO. One of my fave B/W's
    GOT is a better game than Wonka, agreed. Usually, art doesn't get in the way of the way I feel about a game, but GOT is so freaking ugly that it actually detracts from my enjoyment of the game.

Wonka does really nothing for me but the code is not achieved. So difficult to fight fairly

And personnaly, I’m really surprised that IM is not winning largely vs CV!

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greatest-pinball-game-of-all-time-tournament-edition/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.