AB4DE866-73BF-4B7D-B0A3-EB03D3E6A3A6 (resized).jpeg
vids (resized).jpg
de0ae2fbc6ce1366ac430a685d504c3499db4316(1).jpg
OIP (resized).jpg
donut (resized).jpg
doughnut (resized).jpg
trff (resized).jpg
tr1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 2 years ago

It's no longer "cool" to state the obvious.

Clapton_is_god_1024x1024 (resized).pngClapton_is_god_1024x1024 (resized).png
#19 2 years ago

Love David Gilmour (hence my avatar). He's definitely the winner of the "doing the most with the fewest notes" award. There's also no one to whom you can listen for a shorter period of time and know who's playing.

#29 2 years ago

This is all kind of like a "It all depends on what your definition of the word "is" is" argument. There are so many different ways to define great guitar playing. If you like guys who play to the song, you would like George Harrison. And who wouldn't want to play to the song if you're a Beatle? You've got the best-written songs to play to. Fast, showy guys are often playing crap songs, in my opinion.

Keith Richards is not the best technical player, but he's one of the greatest writers in rock and roll history. He uses his guitar to project the songs he writes. You guys know all the riffs that he created with open G tuning. I think that makes for a great guitar player.

That being said, no Ritchie Blackmore yet?

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from unclerudy:

Can anyone argue against Flea for Bass Guitar?

I'm more drawn to melodic bass playing. I'll take Paul McCartney.

Quoted from Pinstein:

Nice one OP! Prince was an amazing guitarist, and Dave Chapelle will tell you he was a great basketball player too.

On a Fisher-Price hoop??

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Crappiest guitarist by far: [quoted image][quoted image]

Always love how a music thread can pull the greatest Pinsider of all time, Vid, out of his crypt. Of course, it's usually Vids greatest hits... Clapton sucks, Zep are ripoff kings, and The Monkees are better than The Beatles. I never appreciated anyone who I never agree with at all more than Vid.

#109 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

But at least I can always back up my statements.
Crapton sucks because:
1. He only knows a single scale. A half century of pitiful playing, and he has never been able to even learn a second one.
2. Most great songs people associate with Crapton, have other guitarists actually playing the difficult parts.
3. He has never written a hit song. All covers or written for him, with himself added on as co-writer so he can slurp half the royalties on the back end.
Yep, even Tears In Heaven was written by Bill Jennings
4. Crapton only spent a single day with his 4 year old son before he died.
Had no problem cashing in on his death for 40 years after
5. Brags about raping women
6. Crazy ass racist (Google "Clapton racist rant" from Rolling Stone website NSFW)
7. Sells a signature guitar named **Blackie** (my phone won't even let me type it in, lol)
8. Enjoyed putting a nude 11 year old girl on the cover of his album holding a phallus
-
Only good thing he did was cause Rock Against Racism to be created because of him
Crapton is the worst

1. Clapton (and Hendrix) introduced the blueprint for the rock guitar sound.
2. Did John Mayall or The Yardbirds want Clapton in their group because he sucked?
3. Who are all those other guitar players playing the "difficult parts" on the four Cream records? From the looks of things, the one and only guitarist
on all those recordings was Eric Clapton. And there was nothing even remotely sounding like the guitar work in Cream when they came out in
1966? All the other mainsteam, bombastic bluesy "Guitar Gods" didn't release their first records until 1967 or later.
4. So, it's safe to say that Clapton's playing has inspired and informed other guitarists, who all sound like him, not the other way
around.
5. He is the only 3 time member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (certainly not the be all, end all, but shows that he has the respect of his peers).
6. John Lennon wanted him to join The Beatles if George didn't come back.
7. Put together the Concert for George after George's passing. It is the greatest dedication concert ever put on tape, in my opinion.
8. What 60's-80's rock star didn't have his way with women? Whatever he had, I'm sure Mick Jagger had more. If he was bragging about anything
non-consensual, of course that's not acceptable.
9. Has apologized for racist comments. Don't know what else someone is supposed to do. Besides, we're debating "greatest guitarist", not highest
morals.

#146 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Ah, I was unaware of UK law.
So if Mick Jagger was a rapist, then it's legal for Crapton to rape.
Gotcha.

You didn't quote the rest of the comment, "If he was bragging about anything non-consensual, of course that's not acceptable." Women threw themselves at these guys. Everyone knows that. And where's the quote about him supposedly bragging about raping women? Of course, nothing is beyond the realm of possibility, but you are prone to making things up.

#155 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There is NO consensual rape.
None.
Quit trying to defend the indefensible

It's in the Spew Testament (aka his autobiography), but for those who don't follow the word of their god, he also has said he thought it was his entitlement to constantly rape his wife:
https://apnews.com/article/314a3a689dd3e15ebbc8d567dfadb06f

You keep twisting my words into something that sounds like I'm pro rape, so we're done on that. Just ridiculous. My statement was clearly about consensual sex, not rape. Give me a break. Clapton said, "There were times when I just took sex with my wife by force and thought that was my entitlement. I had absolutely no concern for other people at all." There's no bragging there. Sounds more like someone who knows he screwed up.

This is a fun thread to debate the best guitarists. You don't think that Clapton belongs in that conversation. I do. Half-truths and innuendo about their personal lives, which we really don't know the whole story, doesn't matter. And even if we knew every detail, it still has nothing to do with their skills on the guitar.

#157 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If he was no longer a racist, he would not still be selling his **Blackie** model guitar, or be telling interviewers in the 2010s that Enoch Powell was "very brave" for trying to remove black and middle eastern people from the UK
Pink Floyd fans know the song "In The Flesh part2" is based on Craption's crazy racist rants at the time
Craption would tell the crowd:
“Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands… So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country … I don’t want you here, in the room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the w0gs out. Get the c00ns out. Keep Britain white …””
That of course was great material for Waters
"Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
Get them up against the wall!
There's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me,
Get him up against the wall!
That one looks Jewish!
And that one's a c00n!
Who let all of this riff-raff into the room?"

Well, apparently Roger Waters thought that Clapton was such an awful guy (and apparently such an awful guitarist), that Clapton joined him on a leg of his 1984 tour in which one of the songs they did was, wait for it, "In the Flesh". So, apparently even Roger Waters thought that he could be redeemed a decade after the comments were made. But you, on the other hand, hold him to comments that he made 50 years ago in a drug-induced stupor as the only thing he's ever said.

#162 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You know that Crapton is so dumb, he did not even know he was being mocked.[quoted image][quoted image]

I would never spin your words the way that you tried to spin mine. But one might say that your obsession with this "Blackie" guitar name and your insistence that it's somehow racially motivated might be an indication of your own guilty conscience. How is naming something that happens to be black "Blackie" out of line at all? You could accuse him perhaps of not being very creative in the naming of his guitar, but that's about it.

#164 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Quit trying to defend the indefensible
Crapton was already off drugs when he was doing his rants:
"I used to be into dope, now I’m into racism. It’s much heavier, man. "
His own words.
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eric-clapton-rant-rock-against-racism/[quoted image]

Oh, he was still plenty into dope in 1976, regardless of what he said. Saying you're clean is a classic junkie line. And even after he finally did clean up from heroin, he spent the 80's drunk. Again, not going to argue that those areas. He could have done a whole lot better.

#203 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

Pete Townsend
[quoted image]

Townshend could do it all. Not the greatest guitar player, but a great nonetheless. And when you couple that with the fact that he wrote all those great Who songs by himself, it's really astonishing. Most of the other 60's British powerhouse groups had a songwriting duo (Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards, Page/Plant, etc.), but Townshend did it all himself. He also played all the guitar parts himself (in studio and on stage) at least in the 60's and 70's. He has help now from his younger brother.

What about Robbie Robertson? Surprised he hasn't gotten a mention yet.

#217 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Ace is very influential to many but when you are part of Kiss with the fire and make up you seem larger than life so of course he has a ton of people he inspired. He has a few good solos, and incredible bends. He has some good signature licks that you just know it’s Ace playing. Allegedly he is “credited” with inventing tapping….Ace doesn’t take much claim or stock in it but others have given the nod to him for it. Of course EVH took it to a new level.

Ace's lack of total technical proficiency is one of his strengths. His playing always sounds like it's about ready to fall off a cliff, which gives him his signature sound. I love it. His solo work is also better than anything Gene and Paul have done in the last 20 years.

#223 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Yeah…Destoyer was when Kiss was falling apart. Ace basically wouldn’t play or the parts he sent in were not good so Bob Ezrin had Dick play some of the parts. He also played on a few Aerosmith tracks.

Like a lot of bands, Kiss' best record was their self-titled debut. All Ace all the time. No stand-ins. Strutter, Nothin' to Lose, Firehouse, Cold Gin, Deuce, 100,000 Years, Black Diamond. Hell, Kiss has so many songs that I like, but I think that my very favorites are all on that first album.

#231 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Call Crapton influential and leave it at that. His early work is his best and he was in several bands with other well known musicians and knows all the guys from the British Invasion cause he was a part of it. He definitely has a place in music history. I do wonder if he had not played the solo for While my Guitar Gently Weeps if he would have been as successful.

He was already in two successful bands and was in the waning months of Cream when he recorded that solo for The Beatles. Clapton had already done by the age of 25 what most would have been happy to achieve in a lifetime when it came to popular music at the time. There is no doubt that his sound changed after this period. He always said that Cream was nearing its end when he heard "Music from Big Pink" by The Band. That's the kind of music that he really wanted to play at the time. Masterful guitar work by Robbie Robertson, but a whole lot less "in your face". Also, the playing became secondary to the fact that he was becoming a front man. He had sung some songs with Cream, but Jack Bruce sang the majority of the songs. Descending into major drug and alcohol addiction didn't help either.

Make no mistake though. Clapton didn't somehow forget what to do with the guitar. For example, when Cream reunited in '05 for four shows at Royal Albert Hall, he was awesome. I remember a quote of his saying that he hasn't worked that hard in a couple of decades being "the guy".

#273 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

A super guitarist.
Very underrated and unappreciated.
Allan Holdsworth.
Two others no one mentioned here; Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, and Denny Dias of Steely Dan.
[quoted image]

Every short-term member or studio musician that Steely Dan has ever played with is a great. Jeff Baxter's work on My Old School alone is unreal. Donald Fagen is another ace songwriter who seems like an asshole, but certainly knows how to build a band.

#279 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Oddly enough to me Rainbow is my wife’s favorite band.
Long Live Rock n Roll!

Wow! A keeper. That’s just like a woman saying that Yes is her favorite band. A total unicorn.

#298 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Yeah, it kind of freaks me out. She really likes Ritchie Blackmore and RJD. She would pick Pantera over Metallica any day as well. Definitely a keeper.

Does she like the Graham Bonnet and Joe Lynn Turner eras too? I feel like Street of Dreams was the most played video on MTV when it first came out.

#313 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Chris Squire was an amazing Grammy award winning player's player on the bass.[quoted image]

Heart of the Sunrise is a great example of what he can do. And of course harmonizing with Jon Anderson was no small feat either.

Quoted from vid1900:

And of course, there was never a better bass player than James Jamerson...holy crap could that guy drive a song forward![quoted image]

McCartney's all-time favorite bass player. That's good enough for me.

Quoted from vid1900:

Hendrix was smart and got out of the game before the record company made him do an embarrassing duet with Bono.
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

12 Platinum records over a 30 year span. They were commercially relevant longer than any other band that I know of. I'd take that if I were them.

#315 2 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Had the honor of seeing Les Claypool play a 400 person show from 10 feet away.
Never seen a guy chop at his bass that way, dude played percussion with his thumbs and fingers all while abusing the strings. It was a fierce but controlled violence.
Was Claypool Lennon Delirium show

I wanted to see their Detroit show so bad, but tix were unobtanium. Sean Lennon turned into quite the guitar player himself.

#345 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Jack White's cool...but I just read an entire chapter in a book about the history of the electric guitar where he is going on about the bargain-basement vintage knockoff guitars he likes to use, and how much time, effort, creativity, and work it is getting a decent sound out of them.
I mean, that's cool and all, but why not just use a guitar that ISN'T a piece of shit?

He’s an odd duck. Anyone who follows music knows that. He relishes the challenge that his Montgomery Ward’s catalog guitar poses.

2 weeks later
#412 2 years ago

Don't disagree with much of the top 15 from this list at all. I might change a few of the numbers around, but it's a pretty good list.

1 week later
#423 2 years ago

After much consideration, I’m changing my vote to Keith Richards. I love raunchy riffs over virtuosic playing anyway. I like bands with a one-two punch on guitar the best. And besides, he’s 1/2 of the second best rock and roll song writing duos of all time (behind Lennon/McCartney). So, yeah, Keith Richards.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greatest-guitarist?tu=usandthem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.