AB4DE866-73BF-4B7D-B0A3-EB03D3E6A3A6 (resized).jpeg
vids (resized).jpg
de0ae2fbc6ce1366ac430a685d504c3499db4316(1).jpg
OIP (resized).jpg
donut (resized).jpg
doughnut (resized).jpg
trff (resized).jpg
tr1 (resized).jpg
There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.
#301 2 years ago

Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Daryl Streumer, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Dick Dale

#302 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

She likes all of it, Rainbow is just her band. If they come on the radio it does not matter what song it is she is turning it up…get my hand slapped if I try to change it.

What about Blackmore's Night?

#303 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Richie Blackmore was probably the biggest stepping stone allowing the Paganini/Bach rockers to take rock music to the next level of sophistication
Listen to Gates of Babylon and hear his work within the Byzantine scale; miles away from the 12 bar blues
If you need to get right to the meat, FWD to about 3:45 and get ready for liftoff (remember this is 1978)
Rainbow - Gates of Babylon

FWIW….This is a FANTASTIC album! Spun it plenty in my youth!

#304 2 years ago

Lots of old guitarist listed but I believe there is no greatest number 1 guitarist of all time. They all have their strengths and weaknesses but they all also steal from each other. I prefer more original sounding guitarist no matter if they play fast, slow, melodic, heavy, or just all over the place. Here's a few of my favorites.

David Gilmour-most melodic with emotion to create a feeling using modes especially dorian

Jack White- master of Big Muff pedal and takes simple power chords and pentatonic scale to create

Ed Sheeran- if you haven't seen him play with loop pedal acoustic then your missing out. Dude can really make some music. Laugh at him but he's without a doubt super talented when he performs by himself.

Adam Jones- the architect of Tool

Junior Kimbrough- my favorite blues guitarist. Love playing his style.

#305 2 years ago

Gotta give seriouse props to Jeff Beck. guy has feel coming out his ears. check 1:51 for the solo. great thread btw!

#306 2 years ago
Quoted from StoneyCreek:

Gotta give seriouse props to Jeff Beck. guy has feel coming out his ears. check 1:51 for the solo. great thread btw!

Beck's sometime bass player, Tal Wilkenfeld, deserves a nod, too. She's a phenom!

Tal Wilkenfeld (resized).jpegTal Wilkenfeld (resized).jpeg

#307 2 years ago

My heart says many of the aforementioned greats should get the title of greatest. But it's taken me 30 years to realize that my head tells me SRV is the greatest of all time. If he had been allowed more time to develop, this would probably never even come into question.

(Could probably say the same about Hendrix, come to think of it.)

#308 2 years ago

Hendrix was smart and got out of the game before the record company made him do an embarrassing duet with Bono.
d0800ba728030badb27f8b6ae59805ef (resized).jpgd0800ba728030badb27f8b6ae59805ef (resized).jpg

Thelonious+Monk+Institute+Honors+B+B+King+2tHXYy6E0DLx (resized).jpgThelonious+Monk+Institute+Honors+B+B+King+2tHXYy6E0DLx (resized).jpgjayz-and-bono.1jpg (resized).jpgjayz-and-bono.1jpg (resized).jpg
#309 2 years ago

Buddy Guy
George Thorogood
Brian Seltzer

Bass Lemmy Kilmister

#310 2 years ago

Chris Squire was an amazing Grammy award winning player's player on the bass.

02 Chris Squire of Yes, 1980 (resized).jpg02 Chris Squire of Yes, 1980 (resized).jpg
#311 2 years ago

And of course, there was never a better bass player than James Jamerson...holy crap could that guy drive a song forward!

james-jamerson (resized).jpgjames-jamerson (resized).jpg
#312 2 years ago

Q: What's the difference between Eric Crapton and a bucket of shlt?
=
=

=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
A: The bucket.

#313 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Chris Squire was an amazing Grammy award winning player's player on the bass.[quoted image]

Heart of the Sunrise is a great example of what he can do. And of course harmonizing with Jon Anderson was no small feat either.

Quoted from vid1900:

And of course, there was never a better bass player than James Jamerson...holy crap could that guy drive a song forward![quoted image]

McCartney's all-time favorite bass player. That's good enough for me.

Quoted from vid1900:

Hendrix was smart and got out of the game before the record company made him do an embarrassing duet with Bono.
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

12 Platinum records over a 30 year span. They were commercially relevant longer than any other band that I know of. I'd take that if I were them.

#314 2 years ago

Had the honor of seeing Les Claypool play a 400 person show from 10 feet away.

Never seen a guy chop at his bass that way, dude played percussion with his thumbs and fingers all while abusing the strings. It was a fierce but controlled violence.

Was Claypool Lennon Delirium show

#315 2 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Had the honor of seeing Les Claypool play a 400 person show from 10 feet away.
Never seen a guy chop at his bass that way, dude played percussion with his thumbs and fingers all while abusing the strings. It was a fierce but controlled violence.
Was Claypool Lennon Delirium show

I wanted to see their Detroit show so bad, but tix were unobtanium. Sean Lennon turned into quite the guitar player himself.

#316 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Adam Jones- the architect of Tool

This is a great call. Adam Jones definitely flies under the radar and shouldn’t. He’d definitely be on my list of top guitar players.

#317 2 years ago

The king of thump himself! Victor Lamont Wooten

252EE0FC-F604-4754-A008-098EAE055720 (resized).jpeg252EE0FC-F604-4754-A008-098EAE055720 (resized).jpeg
#318 2 years ago

Gianni Serino

level 1-7

level 8-12

#319 2 years ago

Stevie Ray Vaughn hands down.
*edit* Prince also was an impressive guitarist in his own right

#320 2 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Stevie Ray Vaughn hands down.
*edit* Prince also was an impressive guitarist in his own right

His brother Jimmie is no slouch either

#321 2 years ago

Kid Johnny Lang

LTG : )

#322 2 years ago

For me, BB King, SRV, Hendrix, and Prince are up there for sure. Next month, I get to see/hear another legend for the 1st time-Santana

#323 2 years ago

No one has mentioned Alex Lifeson of Rush yet? Is it because they don't want to get bullied by Levi?

Just kidding, I am not sure I'd say he's the "greatest" either. If he were close, with the other two guys in the conversations for greatest at their respective instruments, one would think Rush would be more popular!

I will say, he is the greatest at sounding Rush-y!

But, hang on, he was ranked third in a Guitar World magazine reader's poll, so maybe I was on to something with my little joke. Be gentle, Levi!

As long as I'm being silly, let's not forget Rudi van Disarzio of the Bongo Brothers! "Feel the power of my fusion lick!"

Spider Dijon: "Ow! My pancreas!"

#324 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

A half century ago, Crapton used to be in a band called Cream

#325 2 years ago

Tales of brave ulyses. The song.

#326 2 years ago

I remember when we were kids I always thought bands and artists often should keep their opinions to themselves. But what do I know?

I like the core.

#327 2 years ago

I don't recall seeing George Lynch mentioned anywhere in this thread?

I can only wonder what kind of stuff Randy Rhoads would have come up with after Diary of a Madman, which was a fantastic album. While he may not have eclipsed Eddie creativity-wise, his style and songwriting cemented his spot in music history after only 2 records. Easily one of the greatest musical losses of my lifetime, to me anyways.

Van Halen, Rhoads, Lynch, Schenker, Downing/Tipton, Frehley....my faves run along those lines.

#328 2 years ago

Robert Fripp is pretty amazing as well. Never achieved the notoriety of some of the other guys, but still incredible to watch perform nonetheless.

#329 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Robert Fripp is pretty amazing as well. Never achieved the notoriety of some of the other guys, but still incredible to watch perform nonetheless.

I don’t think he’s a one of the all time great technical guitarist but think about your too 10 favorite bands and I’m sure the majority them don’t have the best ever whatever-instrument player in it. King Crimson stands the test of time for their quality, ideas, and composition.

#330 2 years ago

John Petrucci is unbelievable. I saw him tear it up for four hours at Madison Square Garden. A mind boggling performance.

7094CD87-266A-484B-B0DA-36020EABB363 (resized).jpeg7094CD87-266A-484B-B0DA-36020EABB363 (resized).jpeg
#333 2 years ago

Electric guitar Stevie Ray Vaughn

Acoustic guitar Chet Atkins

Air guitar ME!

#334 2 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

Acoustic guitar Chet Atkins

Amazing talent, and was very influential on many of the rock guitarists mentioned in this thread.

#335 2 years ago

Robert Fripp is amazing

#336 2 years ago

Eddie Van Halen
Angus Young
Richie Blackmore
Randy Rhoads
Ace Frehley
Slash

#337 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

But, hang on, he was ranked third in a Guitar World magazine reader's poll, so maybe I was on to something with my little joke. Be gentle, Levi!

I don't trust a guy who puts a Kahler on a Les Paul.

#338 2 years ago

Randy Rhodes is one of those guitarists who probably sold his soul to the devil.

He was worse than an average garage guitarist on the Quiet Riot albums, then a few months later, he suddenly is one of the greatest guitar players on the planet.

Kinda echoes Robert Johnson. Terrible guitar player, comes back 6 months later playing amazing stuff that people struggle to figure out today...

#339 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Randy Rhodes is one of those guitarists who probably sold his soul to the devil.
He was worse than an average garage guitarist on the Quiet Riot albums, then a few months later, he suddenly is one of the greatest guitar players on the planet.
Kinda echoes Robert Johnson. Terrible guitar player, comes back 6 months later playing amazing stuff that people struggle to figure out today...

Agreed!
I like the Quiet Riot stuff but not exactly "greatest guitar player" material....

I went to those crossroads but I had no such luck. So I just bought a souvenir and moved on.

#340 2 years ago

Has anyone mentioned Johnny Winter?

#341 2 years ago

Give this a listen (the solo starts to really take flight around 2:30). Prince is just melting faces in his prime.

#342 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Jack White- master of Big Muff pedal
t

Jack White's cool...but I just read an entire chapter in a book about the history of the electric guitar where he is going on about the bargain-basement vintage knockoff guitars he likes to use, and how much time, effort, creativity, and work it is getting a decent sound out of them.

I mean, that's cool and all, but why not just use a guitar that ISN'T a piece of shit?

#343 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Polyphia is the best "guitar rock" band out right now

Highly recommend Polyphia if you're an '80s shred geezer like me. They have all the chops, but grew up on hip-hop & electronic music, so they come at composition from a different angle. This solo clip of co-lead guitarist Tim Henson will only take 48 seconds of your time.

#344 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I mean, that's cool and all, but why not just use a guitar that ISN'T a piece of shit?

Jack saw the light when he started playing an EVH circa 2018. Turns out being in tune every night on tour is more important than pawn shop chic. Not that you could find an Airline Res-O-Glas in a pawn shop these days.

#345 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Jack White's cool...but I just read an entire chapter in a book about the history of the electric guitar where he is going on about the bargain-basement vintage knockoff guitars he likes to use, and how much time, effort, creativity, and work it is getting a decent sound out of them.

He’s an odd duck. Anyone who follows music knows that. He relishes the challenge that his Montgomery Ward’s catalog guitar poses.

#346 2 years ago

A few of my favorites. Steve Jones, Johnny Ramone and Mick Ronson.

#348 2 years ago

Watching steve Morse at the coach house about ten years ago, I felt that he was the best guitarist alive possibly.

The song is name dropping.

#349 2 years ago

Rob Scallon on YouTube shreds and very talented on multiple instruments. Plus his videos are pretty funny. Super Metal Audition or Metal in Inappropriate Places always crack me up

#350 2 years ago
Quoted from unclerudy:

Can anyone argue against Flea for Bass Guitar?

Cliff

There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greatest-guitarist/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.