AB4DE866-73BF-4B7D-B0A3-EB03D3E6A3A6 (resized).jpeg
vids (resized).jpg
de0ae2fbc6ce1366ac430a685d504c3499db4316(1).jpg
OIP (resized).jpg
donut (resized).jpg
doughnut (resized).jpg
trff (resized).jpg
tr1 (resized).jpg
There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
#251 2 years ago

My 21 year old niece’s favorite musician is Jimi Hendrix.

It's strange to see a hipster who likes dinosaur music, so I asked, “What about his music do you like so much?”

“I just love underground artists” she said.

#252 2 years ago

Q: What would Prince be doing if he were still alive today?

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
A: Trying to get out of his grave.

Prince (resized).jpgPrince (resized).jpg
#253 2 years ago

Adoption Agent: Good news Pele, even though you are now in your teens, we have finally found someone to adopt you.

Pele: OMG! I thought you said no one would ever want an older child?

Adoption Agent: Well...the bad news is your new last name is Nugent.

DZqDLC8VAAAwIWI (resized).jpgDZqDLC8VAAAwIWI (resized).jpg

#254 2 years ago

Greatest guitarists:
Jimi Hendrix
Randy Rhodes
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Eddie Van Halen

Favorite guitarists:
Kurt Cobain
Kerry King
Kurt Hammit
Tony Iommi

#255 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Adoption Agent: Good news Pele, even though you are now in your teens, we have finally found someone to adopt you.
Pele: OMG! I thought you said no one would ever want an older child?
Adoption Agent: Well...the bad news is your new last name is Nugent.
[quoted image]

Ok….we get it. Perhaps start a thread of what is the biggest scandal or dumbest thing a celebrity has done. We can pick apart plenty of people then. Nugent has said some pretty stupid shit in the past. And age appropriate issues have gone on forever with musicians….People make mistakes and can change…doesn’t always mean they are a bad person for life. Now back to the actual topic.

#256 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Ok….we get it. Perhaps start a thread of what is the biggest scandal or dumbest thing a celebrity has done. We can pick apart plenty of people then.

There is an old saying in my country.

Translated into English, it says:

"When you can no longer laugh at your idols, in your mind, they have become gods"

#257 2 years ago

"If it keeps on raining, I can't trust the levee to function as intended" - Howlin' Brandon
2a61f5a7b3ccabb31580b1e5c332c3d7 (resized).png2a61f5a7b3ccabb31580b1e5c332c3d7 (resized).png

#259 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

My 21 year old niece’s favorite musician is Jimi Hendrix.
It's strange to see a hipster who likes dinosaur music, so I asked, “What about his music do you like so much?”
“I just love underground artists” she said.

Gee I wonder where she got that from. Does she still have that awesome purple Strat?

#260 2 years ago

A super guitarist.
Very underrated and unappreciated.
Allan Holdsworth.
Two others no one mentioned here; Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, and Denny Dias of Steely Dan.

wPSg9oK568QLFB5aSvm4mm (resized).jpgwPSg9oK568QLFB5aSvm4mm (resized).jpg
#261 2 years ago

has anyone mentioned Eric C

#262 2 years ago

only in passing, im not sure he's left much of an impression on anybody here.

Quoted from Jamesays:

has anyone mentioned Eric C

#263 2 years ago

Maybe not what would be considered the "greatest", but these guys can certainly play.

Brian May
Peter Frampton
Travis Tritt
Vince Gill
Gary Rossington

Who knows where Steve Gains would be on the "greatest" list had he not been tragically killed in the Skynyrd plane crash.

#264 2 years ago

And... Christopher Cross.
Some great playing on that self titled album of his.

#265 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Does she still have that awesome purple Strat?

Yes, and I built her a new strat from an Ash tree that the Emerald Ash Borers ate on my property.

Clear coated with 2PAC of course:

IMG_20210925_163445__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210925_163445__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210929_131xcv817__01 (resized).jpgIMG_20210929_131xcv817__01 (resized).jpg

#266 2 years ago

The late Bob Mayo who played the legendary Fender-Rhodes solo on "Do You Feel Like We Do",
was also an excellent guitarist.

#267 2 years ago

I see a few people mentioned Les Claypool and Buckethead which is cool, they put out one of my favorite albums Big eyeball in the sky. I don't think anybody has mentioned P-NUT on bass yet so I will, "P-NUT beat that thing" As far as the greatest rock guitarist of all time, hands down, its Jimi. Greatest jam guitarist, no doubt, there can be only one, its Jerry. Anybody who gave thumbs down to Mayer probably only knows your body is a wonderland. I saw dead and company a few times and he's great. I heard an amazing Shakedown street this morning with Mayer on guitar. I waited outside the bagel shop for 5 minutes but the song kept going and I had to go in. Luckily it was still playing when I got back in my car.

#268 2 years ago
Quoted from PinNickleby:

Maybe not what would be considered the "greatest", but these guys can certainly play.
Brian May
Peter Frampton
Travis Tritt
Vince Gill
Gary Rossington
Who knows where Steve Gains would be on the "greatest" list had he not been tragically killed in the Skynyrd plane crash.

I saw Peter Frampton live a few years ago and he was amazing. His "blackhole sun" and "while my guitar gently weeps" covers are worth checking out.

#269 2 years ago

In a world of white, corporate **bluesmen**, Tab Benoit delivers the goods like a boss

TAB BENOIT - "NEW ORLEANS LADIES"

#270 2 years ago

Let's not forget all of the great bluegrass flat-pickers. I'd include Molly Tuttle and Billy Strings from the current generation, and David Grier, Tony Rice, Doc Watson and many other greats from the previous generations.

#271 2 years ago

So no way he is the greatest but Billy Gibbons I don’t believe has been mentioned. His style and interests are very diverse. So many good ZZ Top songs but I like the early stuff the best. There are times where Billy sounds amazing but other times just somewhere between raw and sloppy…sometimes it works and sometimes it don’t.

Brown Sugar is probably my favorite. That opening lick and intro couldn’t be any better. And to this day they have never confirmed which “Brown Sugar” the song is about….lots of debate and the lyrics can be interpreted either way.

#272 2 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

I don't think anybody has mentioned P-NUT on bass yet so I will, "P-NUT beat that thing"

P-Nut is awesome. Although I'm pretty sure he was eye fucking my wife the last time we saw 311 and we were right up front. She got a kick out of it though.

#273 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

A super guitarist.
Very underrated and unappreciated.
Allan Holdsworth.
Two others no one mentioned here; Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, and Denny Dias of Steely Dan.
[quoted image]

Every short-term member or studio musician that Steely Dan has ever played with is a great. Jeff Baxter's work on My Old School alone is unreal. Donald Fagen is another ace songwriter who seems like an asshole, but certainly knows how to build a band.

#274 2 years ago

So many greats already mentioned so I'll just add some who should be listened to if ya never heard of them.
Glad someone mentioned Pat Travers and Pat Thrall . I would add that Peter "Mars" Cowling RIP is the best unknown Bass player and part of that band.
Pat Metheny
Michael Hedges
Steve Hackett -he is credited with the first tapping on record "Genesis Nursery Cryme"
Bill Nelson - Just discovered him recently . The name of his band was never appealing to me Be Bop Deluxe but then were great, listen to Sunburst Finish.
Fripp
Dean Ween
John Goodsall -just died he was like an Alan Holdsworth type played with Bruford and Brand X
Steve Howe and of course Chris Squire for Bass and Tony Levin on any bass instrument .

#275 2 years ago

Link Wray popularized the use of power chords back in the 50s. Many great guitarists cite his influence.

#276 2 years ago

Richie Blackmore was probably the biggest stepping stone allowing the Paganini/Bach rockers to take rock music to the next level of sophistication

Listen to Gates of Babylon and hear his work within the Byzantine scale; miles away from the 12 bar blues

If you need to get right to the meat, FWD to about 3:45 and get ready for liftoff (remember this is 1978)

Rainbow - Gates of Babylon

#277 2 years ago

Oddly enough to me Rainbow is my wife’s favorite band.

Long Live Rock n Roll!

#278 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

You married the correct woman

#279 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Long Live Rock n Roll!

Wow! A keeper. That’s just like a woman saying that Yes is her favorite band. A total unicorn.

#280 2 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Wow! A keeper. That’s just like a woman saying that Yes is her favorite band. A total unicorn.

Yeah, it kind of freaks me out. She really likes Ritchie Blackmore and RJD. She would pick Pantera over Metallica any day as well. Definitely a keeper.

#281 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You married the correct woman

For once….this is number 3 so third times a charm.

#282 2 years ago

if y all don’t know eddie hazel you better ask somebody

EB73ABED-A5AF-4565-90B9-8DB01C9FC2FD (resized).jpegEB73ABED-A5AF-4565-90B9-8DB01C9FC2FD (resized).jpeg
#283 2 years ago
Quoted from unclerudy:

Can anyone argue against Flea for Bass Guitar?

Les/ Primus beats Flea.

#284 2 years ago
Quoted from athens95:

Les/ Primus beats Flea.

Yes like 200 other bassists. Jaco Pastorius. John Entwistle.

#285 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

She would pick Pantera over Metallica any day as well.

Pantera is my wife's favorite band. Has been for decades.

#286 2 years ago

Love watching him play.

#287 2 years ago

My favorite bassist. RIP Cliff Burton.
Les Claypoool a close second

images.jpgimages.jpg
#288 2 years ago

‘Galloping" Cliff Gallup from Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps needs a mention here.

#289 2 years ago

Other than many of the legends already mentioned - my number one would probably be Jari Maenpaa of Ensiferum/Wintersun, followed by Devin Townsend and John Petrucci.

The guy can shred, play extended melodies that cover an entire track without repeating passages, and writes some very complex pieces. Nothing any other great player can’t do - just good stuff.

#290 2 years ago

Today would have been Cliff Burton's 60th birthday.

#291 2 years ago

SRV. saw him in concert seven times. Great each time.

#292 2 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

‘Galloping" Cliff Gallup from Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps needs a mention here.

Gene Vincent kinda looks like Joe Strummer of The Clash.

#293 2 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

P-Nut is awesome. Although I'm pretty sure he was eye fucking my wife the last time we saw 311 and we were right up front. She got a kick out of it though.

You are a lucky man if P-NUT was eyeballing your wife.

#294 2 years ago

Reg Kehoe is my favorite bassist. Bass solo at 1 minute 10.

#295 2 years ago

Its NATIONAL GUITAR DAY!

Get 'em out and play some of your heroes' stuff. I'll be doing Smoke on the Water. (beginning riff only)
guitars 3 black (resized).jpgguitars 3 black (resized).jpg

#296 2 years ago

CGA, CGDA, CGA, DGA

#297 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Long Live Rock n Roll!

Mine as well, the first concert I ever went to was Rainbow and AC/DC opened for them. At the time, I had no idea who AC/DC was, they put on a great show, I never heard anything so loud. Unfortunately Rainbow was having technical problems and only did 3 songs.
As it turned out, that was the last time Dio sang with them. In the end, I got to see AC/DC and a little of Rainbow and I got my money back.

#298 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Yeah, it kind of freaks me out. She really likes Ritchie Blackmore and RJD. She would pick Pantera over Metallica any day as well. Definitely a keeper.

Does she like the Graham Bonnet and Joe Lynn Turner eras too? I feel like Street of Dreams was the most played video on MTV when it first came out.

#299 2 years ago

She likes all of it, Rainbow is just her band. If they come on the radio it does not matter what song it is she is turning it up…get my hand slapped if I try to change it.

#300 2 years ago

justin johnson

There are 467 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greatest-guitarist/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.