Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinto.gif
    peachcoupe2 (resized).PNG
    peachcoupe (resized).PNG
    1984_chrysler_laser-pic-7833730750025227082-1600x1200 (resized).jpeg
    BE995981-3EDA-4C50-BE48-381DD115366D (resized).jpeg
    93421F6B-7EAA-490D-AAE1-10A9781F5A32 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 10.13.54 AM (resized).png
    D9CBA4DC-41EA-413A-8DED-8A41528C8998 (resized).jpeg
    B885A171-87B2-42A5-A160-8553E365A29F (resized).jpeg
    iu (resized).jpeg
    E9987376-35C6-4420-8B80-6E40B59B628D (resized).jpeg
    vintage-chicken-coop-192045313 (resized).jpg
    803ED14E-F7B0-4AF6-8CB9-A478BC222244 (resized).jpeg
    2AA4269B-45F3-4DCF-A9F3-47DB4E3F2735 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6114 (resized).JPG
    There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Studebaker came out with the Lowey Coupe in 1953; I lust after this car.
    [quoted image]
    and somehow would up with what is/was called the Catfish car in 1958. Oops, I just made a liar of myself. This "beauty" did not get the quad treatment in 1958.
    Actually, Studebaker merged with Packard and the merged company did not have any money to make sweeping design changes. And the Catfish was born----but it had a short life.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

If that car were a transformer it would be a catfish, that sucker is ugggggly.

#52 3 years ago

How about GM's attempt to answer to the popularity of VW and rear air cooled engines?

DSC_4742_2 (resized).JPGDSC_4742_2 (resized).JPGDSC_4746_2 (resized).JPGDSC_4746_2 (resized).JPGDSC_4749_2 (resized).JPGDSC_4749_2 (resized).JPG
    #53 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

How about GM's attempt to answer to the popularity of VW and rear air cooled engines?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I actually like the looks of that one...

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

How about GM's attempt to answer to the popularity of VW and rear air cooled engines?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is Ralph Nader still alive?

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Oh no. I don't agree. I got to drive a Corvair for a little bit. It was a nice driving car. Corvairs had problems with the drive belt for the huge fan, but it was a nice driver.

I always thought they were quite sporty looking. Especially the 2nd generation Corvairs.

Nader trashed the car with his book, but I agree with Jay Leno. Ralph missed the mark on this; But he did make a successful long term career with his trash talk.

If the Corvair was as bad as he said, I wonder why he did not go after the VW Beetle? I guess I am going to have to go look for a copy of his book and see exactly what he said.

All that said, Corvairs could be rust buckets.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Is Ralph Nader still alive?

Google. Yes.

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Oh no. I don't agree. I got to drive a Corvair for a little bit. It was a nice driving car. Corvairs had problems with the drive belt for the huge fan, but it was a nice driver.
    I always thought they were quite sporty looking. Especially the 2nd generation Corvairs.
    Nader trashed the car with his book, but I agree with Jay Leno. Ralph missed the mark on this; But he did make a successful long term career with his trash talk.
    If the Corvair was as bad as he said, I wonder why he did not go after the VW Beetle? I guess I am going to have to go look for a copy of his book and see exactly what he said.
    All that said, Corvairs could be rust buckets.

EDIT : I'll have to think about the book for a little bit. Even a 50 year old paperback is priced at $45.00. And up. Way up.

But Wikipedia has some good info. There are 8 chapters. Corvair is talked in Chapter 1 only. The other 7 chapters deal with auto safety in general.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Once you learned how to drive a Corvair you entered an Exclusive Club. These things were great! I had hot VW Vans and Beetles, they were cool but Corvairs were an honest improvement in horsepower, styling and yes, handling.
    Think of them as 60's Drift Cars.

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

EDIT : I'll have to think about the book for a little bit. Even a 50 year old paperback is priced at $45.00. And up. Way up.
    But Wikipedia has some good info. There are 8 chapters. Corvair is talked in Chapter 1 only. The other 7 chapters deal with auto safety in general.

Unsafe At Any Speed.

#60 3 years ago

The Mazda RX8 could make the list. It had a myriad of problems. Chief among them the approach they took in selling a high-maintenance vehicle. They marketed it as a sort of everyman's sports car. It could have been, but the rotary engine offers some real maintenance challenges. They should never be turned off or revved cold, they should have a premix added for every fill up (they're oil injected, but no one at the dealership would have been telling you that), and you need to keep a close eye on the oil levels. The front cat trapped hot exhaust close to the vulnerable apex seals, which means premature engine failure if not addressed.

God, I miss that car.

IMG_20170415_180055 (resized).jpgIMG_20170415_180055 (resized).jpg
    #61 3 years ago

They sold a lot of these but if there was ever a car that had plain Jane written all over it...
    ...it was the K car! Just awful!

(Probably didn't help that more often than not I saw nuns driving these things around! Man it was like they were a standard accessory or something!)

1984 K series interior (resized).jpg1984 K series interior (resized).jpgK car 1 (resized).jpgK car 1 (resized).jpg
    #62 3 years ago
    Quoted from ManyQuarters:

They sold a lot of these but if there was ever a car that had plain Jane written all over it...

Yeah, boring as hell, but fairly well put together and made a ton of money for Chrysler.
    Not sure it's fair to call that a "failure". More like just a "bore".

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from ManyQuarters:

(Probably didn't help that more often than not I saw nuns driving these things around! Man it was like they were a standard accessory or something!)
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from RCA1:

Yeah, boring as hell, but fairly well put together and made a ton of money for Chrysler.
    Not sure it's fair to call that a "failure". More like just a "bore".

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 10.30.23 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-10 at 10.30.23 PM (resized).png

#64 3 years ago

LOL this thread rules

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]

What saved Chrysler is they received a government bail out. Then all of the federal agencies were required to buy Chryslers so they could stay open and keep all of the factory employees working.

#66 3 years ago

K Cars were big NY State Fleet Cars when I was growing up.

You could always tell whose Dad worked for the State.

#67 3 years ago

1975 Chevy Monza. I had one just like this one pictured. It had A/C, but manual brakes and manual steering. It was a little big POS. This was the successor to the Vega, and apparently, they had a lot of Vega parts left over. It had the horrible 4 cylinder with an aluminum block and cast iron head, same as the Vega. Overhead valve driven by a rubber belt, instead of a chain. What could go wrong!?

1975-Chevrolet-Monza (resized).jpg1975-Chevrolet-Monza (resized).jpg
    #68 3 years ago

Yeah Ok the K car saved Chrysler...er why?...but foock it was still awful!

Like...I'm afraid!!

K car joke (resized).jpgK car joke (resized).jpg

K-car joke 2 (resized).jpgK-car joke 2 (resized).jpg
    #69 3 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

What saved Chrysler is they received a government bail out. Then all of the federal agencies were required to buy Chryslers so they could stay open and keep all of the factory employees working.

Sounds like the Soviet Union!

#70 3 years ago

From my son in laws chickens perspective.
    Tractor Supply pre assembled chicken coup.
    Coyote X crappy job fastening fenceing panel wire = massacre. Coyote view much different .
    Hold on someone mispelled coup with a extra E
    Their bad !

; ) Shane

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

yes but they paid back that loan with interest , 7 years ahead of schedule , because of this platform of car

#72 3 years ago

And of course, the Pontiac Fiero

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #73 3 years ago
    Quoted from seeburg220:

1975 Chevy Monza. I had one just like this one pictured. It had A/C, but manual brakes and manual steering. It was a little big POS. This was the successor to the Vega, and apparently, they had a lot of Vega parts left over. It had the horrible 4 cylinder with an aluminum block and cast iron head, same as the Vega. Overhead valve driven by a rubber belt, instead of a chain. What could go wrong!?
    [quoted image]

In 78 the boss replaced the Toyota station wagon with one of these as the Company car. I couldn't believe it, it wouldn't go unless you really put your foot in it. Just made a whooshing sound and struggled to hit 50. No room in the floorboard, just a SLED in the purest form.

#74 3 years ago

I'm not going to criticize the Chevy Chevette (its probably more of a hatchback), but more of an early memory to share.

My Grandfather worked for Chevrolet and always had a couple Chevys as transport. When I was younger one of those cars was a light blue Chevette like the reference picture below.

I remember riding with them somewhere at a young age and for whatever reason I was sitting in between Gramps and Grandma on the console area. I don't know what I was thinking, but as we were driving down the road I threw the gear selector from "D" to "R" and the car lurched/made some terrible noises before Gramps threw it into neutral. He told me not to do that again because a tow truck would probably have to come get us if I did.

We headed back down the road and a short time later I pulled the same stunt much to the dismay of my grandparents. When they asked why I did it the second time I remember telling them that I wanted to see the tow truck! Luckily we made it to our destination that day.

I don't remember that car hanging around Gramp's house much long after that.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#75 3 years ago

Coupe only? Usually if the coupe fails, the other body styles fail aswell.

#76 3 years ago

Worst coupe fail? Mustang mach e. Mustangs dont have four doors, screw u Ford!

Ive only owned fords or lincolns my whole life, had 3 mustangs. Still own one. But four doors on a coupe is sacrilege. Theyre trying to be hip with the soccer moms, but theyre killing their golden goose. Imho i dont want an electric mustang either. I want a car with blood(oil) and breathes! Has a pulse. a living machine.

43808EA9-4650-4BC3-A2AF-419497602025 (resized).jpeg43808EA9-4650-4BC3-A2AF-419497602025 (resized).jpeg

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from gjm:

And of course, the Pontiac Fiero
    [quoted image]

This was a great car once the bugs were ironed out.

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I'm not going to criticize the Chevy Chevette (its probably more of a hatchback), but more of an early memory to share

At the height of the gas crisis my father traded in his Olds 442 on a '79 Chevette. Unlike your grandfather's Chevette, dad's was a manual. The only positive memory I have of that POS was that dad would let me work the shifter while he worked the clutch.

#79 3 years ago

The 1970 Marcos Mantis. The design of this coupe is like beating Sergio Pininfarina with an easel on the steps of the Istituto Europeo di Design while proclaiming "I'm the true artist!!"

mantis (resized).PNGmantis (resized).PNG

#80 3 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

It was not a bailout. It was a loan that Chrysler repaid (Wall Street is where the bailouts went to). I could not believe it when I saw a bunch of American Motors cars on one of the naval bases in Virginia in the early 70s. And then it hit me; When given a chance, the Federal Govt. is going to spread the money around.

The situation with Chrysler was no different then than it was in 2008 with "cash for clunkers" and the bailouts for GM and Chrysler (again). The auto industry was so big in the 70s that if Chrysler collapsed it would harm all of the suppliers to the auto industry. And you would have probably seen mass layoffs.

The government loan to Chrysler ( and Lee Iacocca ) gave Chrysler a shot in the arm that it needed. Then the mini-van and the K-car sales were so good that Chrysler lasted for another 30 years before it was taken over by that German company.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Ive only owned fords or lincolns my whole life, had 3 mustangs. Still own one. But four doors on a coupe is sacrilege. Theyre trying to be hip with the soccer moms, but theyre killing their golden goose. Imho i dont want an electric mustang either. I want a car with blood(oil) and breathes! Has a pulse. a living machine.
    [quoted image]

Oh, the sacrilege. 4 doors on a coupe? What a travesty. But I sure see a lot of 4-door Chargers on the street. This red one looks like a 4-door sedan. But I sure see a lot of them.

Not too many teenagers are going be buying that electric Mustang. And old farts like me have gotten more practical and prefer opening a rear door to sit down as opposed to having to climb out of the backseat.

And I have got to the point I do not care what is under the hood. If a squirrel in a cage can move a car down the road and let me pass everybody, that is all I care about. And I love 426 Hemi-s.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#82 3 years ago
    DSC09930 (resized).JPGDSC09930 (resized).JPG
    #83 3 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

At the height of the gas crisis my father traded in his Olds 442 on a '79 Chevette. Unlike your grandfather's Chevette, dad's was a manual. The only positive memory I have of that POS was that dad would let me work the shifter while he worked the clutch.

A lot of people made that trade. Reluctantly. In the 70s and early 80s, many of these small cars were called Econo-boxes. The Chevette especially so. No one wanted to be seen in one. Interestingly, I don't recall anyone ever calling a Honda or Toyota Econo-boxes.

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

[quoted image]

Agreed. Fomoco took a page out of the corporate GM book of shame. Take an iconic model name and slap it on a turd. See: GTO, Blazer, Malibu, Caprice.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

This was a great car once the bugs were ironed out.

There really weren’t many bugs to iron out, just debris (leaves/pine needles etc) could build up on the rear exhaust manifold by entering right behind rear window and the rear engine cover - thus possibly causing a fire, new weather shield eliminated this. I have had 4, favorite one that I slightly modified is below.

BB96DB2F-B90B-4B6E-9EA1-D64095B11473 (resized).jpegBB96DB2F-B90B-4B6E-9EA1-D64095B11473 (resized).jpeg

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from seeburg220:

Agreed. Fomoco took a page out of the corporate GM book of shame. Take an iconic model name and slap it on a turd. See: GTO, Blazer, Malibu, Caprice.

The 04-06 GTO's were exactly what a GTO was intended to be from the start, a 2 door family car with the biggest engine they could muster.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

There really weren’t many bugs to iron out, just debris (leaves/pine needles etc) could build up on the rear exhaust manifold by entering right behind rear window and the rear engine cover - thus possibly causing a fire, new weather shield eliminated this. I have had 4, favorite one that I slightly modified is below.
    [quoted image]

I always though they were pretty cool looking back in the day, especially the 2nd generation

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I always though they were pretty cool looking back in the day, especially the 2nd generation

There wasn’t a 2nd generation fiero. There was a prototype 2nd gen in 1989, and the 1988 had a totally redesigned suspension.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

ust debris (leaves/pine needles etc) could build up on the rear exhaust manifold by entering right behind rear window

Wasn't the oil pan a quart and a half too small leading to overheating which caused fires? As I understand they had to shoe horn the engine install and use a tiny oil pan. This may have just been the earlier models.

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Wasn't the oil pan a quart and a half too small leading to overheating which caused fires? As I understand they had to shoe horn the engine install and use a tiny oil pan. This may have just been the earlier models.

It was the bog standard Iron duke in every FWD GM made then. Manuals were misprinted a quart low, and the engine was already an oil burner, so the early, early ones threw rods and spat oil over the catalytic converter, which was right behind the firewall instead of, say, under the seats like on a front engined car.

the fire thing was blown way out of proportion and the number of fires was super low compared to the production numbers.

#91 3 years ago

Who could forget the Ford Pinto.

#92 3 years ago

Pretty simple. Also voted worst car in the world by TopGear.

9839449C-CFB6-414C-A47B-79029B93DB68 (resized).jpeg9839449C-CFB6-414C-A47B-79029B93DB68 (resized).jpeg
    #93 3 years ago
    Quoted from slicknick13:

It was the bog standard Iron duke in every FWD GM made then. Manuals were misprinted a quart low, and the engine was already an oil burner, so the early, early ones threw rods and spat oil over the catalytic converter, which was right behind the firewall instead of, say, under the seats like on a front engined car.
    the fire thing was blown way out of proportion and the number of fires was super low compared to the production numbers.

The dipstick registered it having the correct amount of oil when it in fact was a quart and a half low.

#94 3 years ago

A great Coop.

800px-C._Everett_Koop,_1980s (resized).jpg800px-C._Everett_Koop,_1980s (resized).jpg
    #95 3 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

A great Coop.
    [quoted image]

Seen here in an earlier photo.

20210111_152935 (resized).jpg20210111_152935 (resized).jpg
    #96 3 years ago
    Quoted from slicknick13:

The 04-06 GTO's were exactly what a GTO was intended to be from the start, a 2 door family car with the biggest engine they could muster.

Looks like a Grand Prix and somewhat like a Grand Am, aka uninspiring and copied. At least with the Corvette's evolution, it was truly an original look each time, with some designs better than others.

20210111_153224 (resized).jpg20210111_153224 (resized).jpg
    #97 3 years ago

I love all of my Coops equally, don't make me choose

Coops (resized).jpgCoops (resized).jpg

#98 3 years ago

I got a coupe so ugly, my dog didn't even want to pose by it. Still my favorite car though...

IMG_6114 (resized).JPGIMG_6114 (resized).JPG
    #99 3 years ago

Thought the Chrysler Crossfire was a damn fine looking car. Rarely see them on the road today but when I do they still catch eye. Always wanted one but had little faith in the Chrysler brand

E25C0230-2F7C-47B8-A1A2-1EFE924936B5 (resized).jpegE25C0230-2F7C-47B8-A1A2-1EFE924936B5 (resized).jpeg
    #100 3 years ago

Had a dream years ago where I had to choose between these two that magically showed up in my garage. Woke up before I made my decision. That dream has stuck with me for 20+ years.

2AA4269B-45F3-4DCF-A9F3-47DB4E3F2735 (resized).jpeg2AA4269B-45F3-4DCF-A9F3-47DB4E3F2735 (resized).jpeg803ED14E-F7B0-4AF6-8CB9-A478BC222244 (resized).jpeg803ED14E-F7B0-4AF6-8CB9-A478BC222244 (resized).jpeg
    There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greatest-coupe-failures-in-history/page/2?hl=tractordoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.