Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinto.gif
    peachcoupe2 (resized).PNG
    peachcoupe (resized).PNG
    1984_chrysler_laser-pic-7833730750025227082-1600x1200 (resized).jpeg
    BE995981-3EDA-4C50-BE48-381DD115366D (resized).jpeg
    93421F6B-7EAA-490D-AAE1-10A9781F5A32 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 10.13.54 AM (resized).png
    D9CBA4DC-41EA-413A-8DED-8A41528C8998 (resized).jpeg
    B885A171-87B2-42A5-A160-8553E365A29F (resized).jpeg
    iu (resized).jpeg
    E9987376-35C6-4420-8B80-6E40B59B628D (resized).jpeg
    vintage-chicken-coop-192045313 (resized).jpg
    803ED14E-F7B0-4AF6-8CB9-A478BC222244 (resized).jpeg
    2AA4269B-45F3-4DCF-A9F3-47DB4E3F2735 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6114 (resized).JPG
    There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 3 years ago

How about the Edsel? From the standpoint of ugly, this car is pretty f'n ugly.

edsel (resized).PNGedsel (resized).PNG

#2 3 years ago

“All my life, I have searched for a car that feels a certain way. Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball. Now, at last, I have found it.”

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #3 3 years ago

I read the title and assumed this was a political post about Trump.

#4 3 years ago

Good click bait.

#5 3 years ago

Mustang II

1280px-Ford_Mustang_II_(4699212087) (resized).jpg1280px-Ford_Mustang_II_(4699212087) (resized).jpg
    #6 3 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Mustang II[quoted image]

This one takes the cake

#7 3 years ago

Add the Gremlin and Pacer to the list.

Gremlin (resized).jpgGremlin (resized).jpgpacer (resized).jpgpacer (resized).jpg
    #8 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

[quoted image]

I wouldn't agree. I've always liked the Edsel (especially the 58's). It had some really unique design features like the spinning globe speedometer and the pushbutton transmission in the middle of the steering wheel. The grill is one of those love it or hate it things (kind of like how people view EM games). It had the misfortune to come out at the wrong time (slight economic recession) and was slated to fill the (non-existent) gap between Ford and Mercury. I'll agree that the name Edsel probably wasn't the best choice though...

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

I wouldn't agree. I've always liked the Edsel (especially the 58's). It had some really unique design features like the spinning globe speedometer and the pushbutton transmission in the middle of the steering wheel. The grill is one of those love it or hate it things (kind of like how people view EM games). It had the misfortune to come out at the wrong time (slight economic recession) and was slated to fill the (non-existent) gap between Ford and Mercury. I'll agree that the name Edsel probably wasn't the best choice though...

1958 was a bad year for automobile designs. Just check out the ‘57 ‘58 and ‘59 Chevy Bel Air. The ‘58 was the ugly duckling.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Mustang II[quoted image]

I have an older cousin whose first car was a Pinto. He upgraded to a Mustang 2.

#12 3 years ago

I think that the Adobe was the greatest coupe failure in history.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

1958 was a bad year for automobile designs. Just check out the ‘57 ‘58 and ‘59 Chevy Bel Air. The ‘58 was the ugly duckling.

GM's oddball year is 1958. This is due to Chrysler's 1957 styling (which they called the "forward look"). There's the story about the GM designers watching the mopar (Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto and Chrysler) cars coming off the assembly line in '57. They realized how outdated their styling was so they scrapped the 1959 plans and went back to the drawing board. It was too late to change the '58 styling so they slapped a bunch of chrome on the cars and hoped nobody would notice.

#14 3 years ago

One revolution short of success...

Rev (resized).jpgRev (resized).jpg
    #15 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

[quoted image]

Considered to be so ugly in fact it didnt sell. I disagree if you see one in person, just about any 50s car is cool beans nowadays. Its grown on me.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

[quoted image]

It is a cool car it just Didntsel. At the time considered a Dad sedan I guess.

#17 3 years ago

My Dad had an Edsel. He sold it because every time he parked anywhere near a bar, a drunk would try to piss into the grille.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

[quoted image]

That color isn't great, but an Edsel would get my attention over 99.9% of cars on the road around here (not a coupe example below, but even the one in your post would still stand out positively for me).

Classic-Auto-Insurance-The-Little-Known-Ford-Edsel (resized).jpgClassic-Auto-Insurance-The-Little-Known-Ford-Edsel (resized).jpg

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

“All my life, I have searched for a car that feels a certain way. Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball. Now, at last, I have found it.”[quoted image]

I can never find a horn when I'm mad

#20 3 years ago

This an example of a failed Coupe. 2018 Benz CLA250 Coupe. A Coupe will only have 2 doors, this SUV has 4 doors.
    8c4884fcc4f8d64e6621b06aec151052m.BenzCoupe (resized).jpg8c4884fcc4f8d64e6621b06aec151052m.BenzCoupe (resized).jpg

A car company that has been selling cars for over a hundred years should know better.

#21 3 years ago

I can't believe you beat o-din to this thread. Well played.
    -mof

#22 3 years ago

I owned a 1959 Edsel Ranger for a while.

Let me tell you what it’s like driving that thing to a bar.
    Old dudes would poke fun and hate on it saying it’s the ugliest car ever (basically parroting whatever someone else told them).
    They change their tune later in the night when hot chicks started asking if they could pose on my car and take provacative pictures of themselves.

Awesome car.

#23 3 years ago

Here’s some pics of my old Edsel.
    This is about 7 years ago.
    They actually never came in black and white, but I thought it looked pretty sweet all murdered out.

059359EA-FE89-4206-98D2-DA766887F753 (resized).jpeg059359EA-FE89-4206-98D2-DA766887F753 (resized).jpegC5436DEF-6DDA-40B6-81EF-68065BC3A6C1 (resized).jpegC5436DEF-6DDA-40B6-81EF-68065BC3A6C1 (resized).jpegF4AB0BDF-8562-48FF-BBAB-5E4F5A6A86DD (resized).jpegF4AB0BDF-8562-48FF-BBAB-5E4F5A6A86DD (resized).jpegB00E81B3-19ED-4604-9A92-0CC40E3A7FAB (resized).jpegB00E81B3-19ED-4604-9A92-0CC40E3A7FAB (resized).jpeg
    #24 3 years ago

How could I forget my first car? You are just happy to have a car, but everything broke on this thing.

amc (resized).PNGamc (resized).PNG

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

I read the title and assumed this was a political post about Trump.

That would have been “Coup” not “coupe”

#26 3 years ago

A "Coupe" is a 2 door car with a fixed roof and slanted back. And this is the ugliest POS of them all.

SmartSelect_20210109-094744_Chrome (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20210109-094744_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #27 3 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Mustang II[quoted image]

I'm throwing in the fox body as well

#28 3 years ago

Does this count? It’s only one letter off...

CADA292D-CFC2-4BA5-8580-695085C49F3A (resized).jpegCADA292D-CFC2-4BA5-8580-695085C49F3A (resized).jpeg
    #29 3 years ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Add the Gremlin and Pacer to the list.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Ok, how often do you get to tell a Gremlin story....here goes.......

Set the Waybac machine to about 1983 - my buddy and I see a Gremlin for sale for $400 in the Trading Times (remember those days). Mid-January in Michigan, we go to this guys house, this thing is buried under a pile of snow next to a shed. Purple, with a red door (the car, not the shed....).

He gets a broom and cleans it off, grabs a battery from someplace, and the thing starts up. He had wrapped his Javelin around a telephone pole, and put the V8 304 motor into the Gremlin, along with the traction bars, Posi rear end and dual exhaust. We hop in and smoke the tires halfway down the block, come back and hand him 400 clams.

2 of the 3 engine mounts were broken, and when you hit the gas the motor would flop around like a fish in the engine compartment. We fixed those, and once all the power was getting to the tires the thing would bark into 2nd at 50mph. This was around the time the 5.0 litre Mustangs were all the new rage. It would sit neck and neck with one, sometimes we'd beat one, sometimes not, but the looks we got when guys would pull up laughing at this multi-colored Gremlin w traction bars, and then how those looks changed when we'd light 'em up and all of a sudden they realized they were on the verge of getting beaten by a purple Gremlin...well, ya can't buy that.

Thanks for bringing that memory back.

#30 3 years ago

When I was four years old (early 1960's), I thought all cars on the road looked pretty cool, until the next door neighbour decided to get a Valiant!

1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet 200 Coupe. - 02 (resized).jpg1962 Plymouth Valiant Signet 200 Coupe. - 02 (resized).jpgplymouth-valiant-coupe-1961-2-fethi-canbaz (resized).jpgplymouth-valiant-coupe-1961-2-fethi-canbaz (resized).jpg
    #31 3 years ago
    Quoted from ManyQuarters:

When I was four years old (early 1960's), I thought all cars on the road looked pretty cool, until the next door neighbour decided to get a Valiant!

A high school chum of mine had a '62 Valiant as his first car. He brush painted it blue with Rustoleum.
    It had the venerable 225CID slant six, and a pushbutton automatic transmission. He thought it was the greatest thing on the road.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Mustang II[quoted image]

I'd take that black Volvo P-1800 sitting next to the Mustang. Actually, Volvo made a Station wagon of the P-1800 that I would love to have.

And there is a red American Motors (Rambler) Marlin way in the back that I would not mind having either.

ed12d17e9d9a6fb782e311193f49efcbdab3f2ac (resized).jpged12d17e9d9a6fb782e311193f49efcbdab3f2ac (resized).jpg

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from ManyQuarters:

Quoted from jrpinball:

A high school chum of mine had a '62 Valiant as his first car. He brush painted it blue with Rustoleum.
    It had the venerable 225CID slant six, and a pushbutton automatic transmission. He thought it was the greatest thing on the road.

I thought those Valiants were butt ugly the first time I saw one. 55 years later and my opinion has not changed. But the slant-6 was a killer of an engine; Pretty snappy and reliable.

#34 3 years ago

This was just awful to Drive! An AMC Javelin!

I had a 68 GTO, that had a Pace Car history, and was loaded, in 1976, and my neighbor got a Javelin.
    As we were both 16, Driving, and had fake IDs for Beer and Strip Clubs, we would drive each others cars.

The AMC felt like an Aurora Track Race Car! I was never sure how fast the tires would catch up to the steering!
    Worst Power Steering and Suspension!!

Verne would drive this with a MadMax Cap, a massive Mountain Dew, Cigar (Pretzel Log), and oversized glasses.
    His Javelin was Puke Green....ahhh 16 years old!

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I always liked the '58 Belair with its 3 taillights.

'58 was the first year that all of the cars went from single 7" sealed beam bulbs to duel, or quad headlights with 5.75" bulbs. The Big 3 might have been competitors but somehow they all fell in line and made the switch to the quad headlights in masse.

#36 3 years ago

I never cared for the 1960 Ford Galaxie.

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 10.41.35 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-09 at 10.41.35 AM (resized).png

#37 3 years ago

Studebaker came out with the Lowey Coupe in 1953; I lust after this car.

studebaker-1953 (resized).jpgstudebaker-1953 (resized).jpg

and somehow would up with what is/was called the Catfish car in 1958. Oops, I just made a liar of myself. This "beauty" did not get the quad treatment in 1958.

Actually, Studebaker merged with Packard and the merged company did not have any money to make sweeping design changes. And the Catfish was born----but it had a short life.

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 10.44.38 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-09 at 10.44.38 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 10.51.51 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-01-09 at 10.51.51 AM (resized).png

#38 3 years ago

I almost ended up with my grandmothers 1962 Dodge Dart as my first car. Push button transmission, and the lower end slant six I believe. As a teenager I would have been mortified to drive this around circa 1979, but fortunately was saved the embarassment when the rusted transmission dropped out during the winter of '78 and she sold it to her mechanic. I think I have an actual pic somewhere but too lazy to dig it out, so this reference photo will have to do. Have to admit, I think I'd like to have it now lol....

Dart (resized).pngDart (resized).png
    #39 3 years ago
    Quoted from SergioJ:

As a teenager I would have been mortified to drive this around circa 1979

Ha Ha Ha Thanks for the laugh.

#40 3 years ago

I think a lot of these cars are like the awkward looking girl in high school that grows up to be a hot model.
    Some of these may have been unpopular or odd looking contemporary to when they were released, but over time have matured into something rather attractive.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I think a lot of these cars are like the awkward looking girl in high school that grows up to be a hot model.
    Some of these may have been unpopular or odd looking contemporary to when they were released, but over time have matured into something rather attractive.

Kinda like Molly Ringwald.

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
    #42 3 years ago

I remodeled a kitchen for a well to do man who bragged to me he purchased one of these for his daughter.I asked him what she did to deserve this?

#43 3 years ago

Is the Avanti in here?

Because that was one fugly car.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I remodeled a kitchen for a well to do man who bragged to me he purchased one of these for his daughter.I asked him what she did to deserve this?

Did you ask him this before, or after, he paid you

Of course, you can ask the question "what she did to deserve this?" in an innocuous way that has a positive sound to it. And then there is the other way where you are actually asking the dirt bag why he is being such a prick towards his daughter

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Is the Avanti in here?
    Because that was one fugly car.

Same guy, Raymond Lowey, designed both of these cars. I used to like the Avanti back in the 70s, but for me personally, it has not aged well.

studebaker-1953 (resized).jpgstudebaker-1953 (resized).jpg

Unknown-3 (resized).jpegUnknown-3 (resized).jpeg

Unknown-4 (resized).jpegUnknown-4 (resized).jpeg

#46 3 years ago

The shape of the future

#47 3 years ago

I had a '63 Studebaker Cruiser just like this one in the 80s. Definitely a failed coupe since they went out if business the next year. Cool interior and controls, and it had front disc brakes and seat belts, pretty advanced for 1963.

1963StudebakerCruiser.jpg1963StudebakerCruiser.jpg
    #48 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

The shape of the future[quoted image]

That car still looks good! Minus the steel rims.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

The shape of the future

Part II

0BCAA950-D97F-4E75-9C7D-CABFC31E9A7E (resized).jpeg0BCAA950-D97F-4E75-9C7D-CABFC31E9A7E (resized).jpeg
    #50 3 years ago

Think I found the Avanti owner in this Thread.

There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greatest-coupe-failures-in-history and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.