(Topic ID: 240276)

Great players - What are your mediocre games like?

By harryhoudini

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by holminone
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0418191437a_HDR (resized).jpg
Pro Pinball (resized).jpg

#1 7 months ago

Let's say your top scores are like 2M on WoZ (just happened to play that now) or 3B on ToM... what are your average games like? What percentage of your high score do you get on an average game? Are you hitting like 50% on average and only hit that 90% range once in a while? Or are you games all consistently long and high scoring?

What do you do when you have a horrible first ball? Do you keep playing? What about second ball?

What one thing would you suggest a below average player concentrate on? I've personally been trying to work on flipper/ball control. If I can trap the ball, I can make shots more consistently and have time to plan. I feel like that is where I could improve my game the most.

I watched a few "tutorial" videos for specific games, like ToM, and the game play seemed so boring the way they were "exploiting" the game versus enjoying the gameplay. Do you play one way or the other consistently?

#2 7 months ago

The dead flipper pass and post pass.

#3 7 months ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

What do you do when you have a horrible first ball? Do you keep playing? What about second ball?

Long time ago, i used to start games over if i had a bad ball 1 and/or 2. Then i realized all it takes is one ball; and blowing up a game on ball 3 feels damn good.

As for tips; i’d Say set up your games for your skill level. Nothing wrong with setting it up for 5-balls and giving out extra balls as candy. As you progress and get better, then you can start dialing it back. But Remember, pinball isn’t about blowing up a game every time you play; there’s gotta be a happy medium skill and challenge to help push you to the next level each time you play. Eventually, you’ll appreciate each ball you play and with hard settings, you’ll appreciate getting those extra balls. That’s why it only takes 1 ball to blow up a game.

1 week later
#4 7 months ago
Pro Pinball (resized).jpg
#5 7 months ago

Damn flipper fingers!!!!

#6 7 months ago

Good players can have bad games, but once you get a true feel for pinball and your accuracy is razor sharp, you'll really able to open things up, and then you'll still have bad games, just really really good ones most of the time. Often times I will push start on a bad ball one, other times I want to see what ball 3 damage I can do. Extra balls that are handed out like halloween candy are annoying. In a game like LOTR? I love the extra ball, and probably wouldn't have gotten to Valinor without them.

I hate watching some of the youtube videos of exploiting a game like bad cats for instance, because it's not showing me the rest of the game. If a game is exploitable, a great player will exploit it, just because that's where the points are. Some games really have shots that aren't worth going for though.

With that said, you have to find YOUR perfect balance and what excites you and feels satisfying when you get to that level. I like games with spinners, and captive balls, good drop targets that mean something, balanced scoring, unlimited bonus x because I don't like being limited (like WCS94) Sometimes I just like a game for the nostalgia though, even if it's not a particularly great game to play. I get bored of Pinbot for example, but the game is just cool looking. A game like Joker Poker, is very hard but satisfying to play.

Everybody likes different things or cares about different rule sets. Sometimes it's just all about how good the shots feel...

#7 7 months ago

Thanks all. I just had a great ball 3 on TOM which got my grand master (or whatever it is) on my home game. Had like 600k on the first two balls and was able to get extra ball on ball 3 and hit like 1.7 billion which is my highest score. Totally get the sentiment about any ball can be your winning ball. Also you never know when you'll get into the "swing of things" and put together some really great shots, which is what happened to me along with some really lucky bounces.

Side question.. is there a setting in most games to "restart" if you hit start on ball 2? I noticed in some games it only works on ball 3 and in others it doesn't work at all (you have to finish a game).

#8 7 months ago

Thanks all. I just had a great ball 3 on TOM which got my grand master (or whatever it is) on my home game. Had like 600k on the first two balls and was able to get extra ball on ball 3 and hit like 1.7 billion which is my highest score. Totally get the sentiment about any ball can be your winning ball. Also you never know when you'll get into the "swing of things" and put together some really great shots, which is what happened to me along with some really lucky bounces.
Side question.. is there a setting in most games to "restart" if you hit start on ball 2? I noticed in some games it only works on ball 3 and in others it doesn't work at all (you have to finish a game).

On my MMR, I think this is standard practice, whenever a ball is in the shooter lane and you hit the Start button it resets the game, doesn't matter if it's ball 1, 2 or 3 in the lane. I am not sure on multiplayer games but single player games that's always the case on mine. A pointer I got somewhere else on Pinside.

#9 7 months ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

On my MMR, I think this is standard practice, whenever a ball is in the shooter lane and you hit the Start button it resets the game, doesn't matter if it's ball 1, 2 or 3 in the lane. I am not sure on multiplayer games but single player games that's always the case on mine. A pointer I got somewhere else on Pinside.

Interesting, I'll have to test that on ToM and WoZ.

And I just threw down this score, highest ever for me.

0418191437a_HDR (resized).jpg
#10 7 months ago

And I just threw down this score, highest ever for me.

Well done...now open those outlanes up a tad

#11 7 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well done...now open those outlanes up a tad

I don't quite understand that. Read it in another thread today about closing them down for new players. Does the post move or something? It seems like that is what you're saying.

#12 7 months ago

Set “game restart” to off and then you cannot restart once you have started a game, you can still add players on ball 1.
Open the outlines means to adjust the post that is at the top of the outlander to make the space bigger and easier to drain.
Mediocre games for top players are usually pretty good, high scores.
Bad games are just as bad as anyone, bad.
1B on Theatre is kind of a mediocre score, for example.
Under 100m, is bad.

#13 7 months ago
Quoted from DNO:

Set “game restart” to off and then you cannot restart once you have started a game, you can still add players on ball 1.
Open the outlines means to adjust the post that is at the top of the outlander to make the space bigger and easier to drain.
Mediocre games for top players are usually pretty good, high scores.
Bad games are just as bad as anyone, bad.
1B on Theatre is kind of a mediocre score, for example.
Under 100m, is bad.

Cool, thanks. Didn't know the outlane posts could be moved, I rebuilt a cyclone and didn't notice that... changed many sling plastics, etc. Learn something new.

So how is 2.2 bil on ToM? Best for me, seems like it's a low score for someone really good but pretty good for most people. #60 on the list now

#14 7 months ago

what are your average games like?

Average. Haha. Depends on the game. Game of thrones at my house? Like 1-4 billion.

My friends Dr Who? Under 50 million. Haha

What percentage of your high score do you get on an average game?

Depends on the game.

Always keep playing. You never know what’s going to happen.

What one thing would you suggest a below average player concentrate on?

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54bd238be4b0d1f230dad128/57aff6c8e58c62414bdd211b/57aff6ca197aeaa4592f7004/1471149916140/DEAD-FLIP.gif

Do you play one way or the other consistently?

Nope. I always like to switch it up. I’ll play for high score some days, wizard modes the next. Other days I’ll try and maximize some particular feature of the game as a new challenge.

#15 7 months ago

I JUST started doing this after watching someone play Wonka. I know about the "stall" (catching the ball with the flipper to a dead stop, hard as heck) but realized how much the good players DON'T flip when I am constantly flipping. Definitely letting the ball lose momentum and settle at the flippers seems way more controlled.

#16 7 months ago

I JUST started doing this after watching someone play Wonka. I know about the "stall" (catching the ball with the flipper to a dead stop, hard as heck) but realized how much the good players DON'T flip when I am constantly flipping. Definitely letting the ball lose momentum and settle at the flippers seems way more controlled.

Yeah need to play controlled. Sometimes is best to just keep flipping but learning to know when to expect a controllable opportunity is huge. Think 2-3 shots or bounces ahead.

If you know that this one particular bounce on the game always leads to an easy drop catch or dead bounce, remember that and do that every single time the ball bounces off that particular thing.

#17 7 months ago

The dead bounce was the single most important skill I learned. When you get comfortable with this skill, the whole game slows down and you can begin to play controlled. Some players are more live catch or drop catch guys but every good player consistently utilizes dead flipper play.

#18 7 months ago

Ah right, live catch, that's it. Seems like both can come in handy if you know them

I just looked in to the game reset. Apparently ToM is set to slow by default and I had no idea it was something you could do (hold down the button for 1/2 sec). My JP would let you just hit the start and get a new game, not sure if there was a setting to change that but it was just something I figured out. Really nice to have that option on ToM. I should probably read about what the other adjustments do, lol.

#19 7 months ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

The dead bounce was the single most important skill I learned. When you get comfortable with this skill, the whole game slows down and you can begin to play controlled. Some players are more live catch or drop catch guys but every good player consistently utilizes dead flipper play.

100% agree. dead bounce + cradling the ball and just taking my time and thinking about 'safe shots' and how to recover from risky shots or bad bounces was the game-changer for me. everything in the game slowed down.

combine that with starting to recognize when the ball was headed for a bad spot a couple bounces early means that the nudging game just takes on a new level. so many bad situations can be avoided with a tiny bump on the cabinet when the ball is hitting a specific rubber or sling.

#20 7 months ago
Quoted from anathematize:

100% agree. dead bounce + cradling the ball and just taking my time and thinking about 'safe shots' and how to recover from risky shots or bad bounces was the game-changer for me. everything in the game slowed down.
combine that with starting to recognize when the ball was headed for a bad spot a couple bounces early means that the nudging game just takes on a new level. so many bad situations can be avoided with a tiny bump on the cabinet when the ball is hitting a specific rubber or sling.

Excellent. That is definitely what I am working on. A dead flip done successfully is so satisfying.

#21 7 months ago

I’m the best player you’ve never seen. I get free games every time and routinely get billions of points even on games where most mortals top out at 3m. The key is to never miss a shot. Which I don’t. And I know exactly which direction and how fast a ball is spinning, so my dead bounces are always favorable and never drain.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside