Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230323_174651 (resized).jpg
20230323_161134 (resized).jpg
20230323_160941 (resized).jpg
PSU (resized).jpg
psu2 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Does anyone have any documentation or information on the Great Plains Electronics Gottlieb System 1 power supply?

Working on a Charlie's Angels that has an audio issue of some sort. On startup i get a few sounds but once a game is started I don't get very many sounds. Periodic and not consistent with the youtube play videos I watched.

I went to look at the PSU to verify voltages and I'm getting 15.4v on test point 1 that should be 12v. Test Points 2 and 3 show correctly 5v and -12v. The post labeled "+5v" tests 5v. Test Point 4 isn't labeled and reads 94.5v.

The 15.4 is off obviously and may have a role in my audio issue. Anyone have a manual for the PSU or guidance on what i need to look at to correct the hot 12v?

PSU (resized).jpgPSU (resized).jpgpsu2 (resized).jpgpsu2 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Ed from Great Plains is on Pinside. G-P-E

#3 1 year ago

Don't worry about the 12V reading at 15.4V. The 12V is an unregulated input so the voltage is an approximation and is often a bit high.
Also, sound boards don't use voltage associated with TP1 (it isn't passed to any header pins), it is only used by the onboard 5V regulator.
5V and -12V sound fine.

TP4 is your high voltage input and is used by your VFD display regulator. Also an unregulated voltage at this point so the 94V is fine.
For some reason - the designer, whoever that may be , forgot a few voltages when adding test points to the board. 60 and 42V for VFDs can be measured at J3 Pin 1 and J3 Pin 3. These two are regulated but have a pretty big tolerance of about 5% (if I remember correctly). If your VFD displays are working then don't worry about this.

Is the sound board the original three tone board? And are the caps on him original?

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

TP4 is your high voltage input and is used by your VFD display regulator. Also an unregulated voltage at this point so the 94V is fine.
For some reason - the designer, whoever that may be , forgot a few voltages when adding test points to the board. 60 and 42V for VFDs can be measured at J3 Pin 1 and J3 Pin 3. These two are regulated but have a pretty big tolerance of about 5% (if I remember correctly). If your VFD displays are working then don't worry about this.
Is the sound board the original three tone board? And are the caps on him original?

Displays are erratic at times. Hard to photograph but my assumption has been they are dying. Haven't dug into them yet.

Looking at the 3 tone board I believe you may be on to something. Looks rough.

Anyone sell a kit?

20230323_160941 (resized).jpg20230323_160941 (resized).jpg20230323_161134 (resized).jpg20230323_161134 (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago

So I was able to get a pic of displays.

The p1/p2 do display more digits when scoring begins but the 1st digit tends to sort of ghost in and out. Like I said it's not consistent though

20230323_174651 (resized).jpg20230323_174651 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/great-plains-system-1-power-supply and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.