(Topic ID: 193282)

Great Plains - Is Ed still operating this?

By Pintucky

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Several months ago I placed an order through the Great Plains web site, and it indicated they were out of stock and would notify me when the stock came in (ribbon cables). There was another lengthy message on the site written by Ed saying he was going to take an absence from daily monitoring of the web site because he was swamped with 'other work' and he just couldn't handle the load. I THINK he said he should be 'back' in 6 weeks. I sent an email awhile back and got no reply.

Anyone know ANYTHING about the web site OR Ed? Is he still in business?

Thanks,
    Mike in Kentucky

#2 6 years ago

Emailed them last month with some questions and Ed responded, parts shipped out (though a few days later).

#3 6 years ago

I put in an order a few weeks ago before Pintastic, and it arrived quickly.

Ed is a busy guy, and there are certain periods of time where he posts on his site about limited availability. I've seen recent posts from him on the forums and RGP, so he's around.

Maybe your email just got missed or didn't make it past the spam filter? I'd say just try re-sending it or PM him G-P-E

#4 6 years ago

Hey, THANKS guys! Good to hear he is still going strong!!! I may have sent that email during his 'black-out period'. I'll try later this week to put an order together and see if I can round him up!

Appreciate the responses.

Mike in Kentucky

#5 6 years ago

Yes, I just had an order from last Monday shipped and delivered here last Thursday. Good business.

#6 6 years ago

All good on my end... Ordered a couple rectifier boards.. They were on back order.. Got a email saying in stock.. Sent payment .. Got an email from them.. and shipping was quick... .. THX> GPE

#7 6 years ago

Hey Guys -- I get roughly a hundred emails per day. Most arrive ok but some have to be rescued from the spam filter. I *try* to answer them all but once in awhile one gets deleted with the spam or accidentally gets flagged as read when it wasn't. If you don't get an email back - send again.
    Also, realize that I try not to take too long with emails - gotta keep busy. But 100 emails at 1 minute each is more than an hour and a half!
    To Mike - your original email may fall into the lost email category. Sorry about that.
    Ed

I did find one email from a Mike regarding high voltage component kits from July 3rd. It was marked as read but appeared to be never answered... I just replied to that one, was it yours?

... nope, this one was in Canada.

#8 6 years ago

It's all good Ed. I'm just glad you are alive and kicking!!! I'll try to put that list together again and send it to you. Problem is, I'm so old I can't even remember what I wanted!!! Surely, I needed it. Maybe I don't even own any pins anymore . . . . I had better go check. What year is this? Did Henry VIII die yet? Anyone seen where I put my medications?

Mike in Kentucky

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Hey Guys -- I get roughly a hundred emails per day. Most arrive ok but some have to be rescued from the spam filter. I *try* to answer them all but once in awhile one gets deleted with the spam or accidentally gets flagged as read when it wasn't. If you don't get an email back - send again.
    Also, realize that I try not to take too long with emails - gotta keep busy. But 100 emails at 1 minute each is more than an hour and a half!
    To Mike - your original email may fall into the lost email category. Sorry about that.
    Ed

I did find an email from a Mike regarding high voltage component kits. It was marked as read but was never answered... I just replied to that one, was it yours?

#10 6 years ago

No, mine had to do with ribbon cables. I think I needed 3 of different sizes and your web site said out of stock, and I BELIEVE I actually placed the order, or attempted to, and can't remember if your web would accept it. Seems like you had it inactivated at the time. Anyway, my account there is Mike Giorgio, Bowling Green, KY 42103. You've got enough to do without worrying about me. I'll dig around and see what it was. Only question I have is, can you now go to your web site and order?
    Thanks,
    Mike

#11 6 years ago

The website was closed - I believe it was on the 4th when I was updating the website database. Then... forgot to re-enable the site when finished until the 5th. It is taking orders again.
    But note - I still do not have the ferrites used on video cables. I tried ordering them a bit ago but they were out of stock. I need to try again.

Ed

#12 6 years ago

Thanks for the heads up.
    Mike

1 year later
    #13 5 years ago

I understand this is a old thread , I have placed two orders with Great Plains electronics both times several days went by and no tracking info nothing but Crickets . I have a business , That means customers waiting on repairs . After Emails asking where my order was I got we are really busy . The owner might be a great guy ,but if I can not repair your machine because I am too busy I either hire another Technician or close and let someone else take over that can. As impersonal as the big suppliers are at least I get my parts in under a week . I am done .

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from cuda3134:

with Great Plains electronics both times several days went by and no tracking info nothing but Crickets . I have a business , That means customers waiting on repairs . After Emails asking where my order was I got we are really busy . The owner might be a great guy ,but if I can not repair your machine because I am too busy I either hire another Technician or close and let someone else take over that can. As impersonal as the big suppliers are at least I get my parts in under a week . I am

Sorry to hear GPE isn't meeting your expectations.

It's true that GPE doesn't ship at amazon speeds, so if that's what you need, you will probably have to go with another supplier. They have the infrastructure in place to be able to do that.

However, GPE does a good service for the community by providing quality genuine parts at good prices. I know I never have to roll the dice with GPE and worry about counterfeit parts, which is sometimes a problem with other (and larger) suppliers who aren't always as vigilant.

I'm not sure what your ordering/inventory practices are, but generally, I keep a fairly decent supply of components on-hand. If I have to order one of something, I usually order a small batch. So next time I need that part, I have it here and don't have to place another order another one. So it saves me some time and effort.

#15 5 years ago

Just wanted it in a week , And yes I order more than one at a time . But with several large dividers full of parts and literally thousand's of parts , hard to keep it all . I deal in ANYTHING that takes a Coin From Gumball to 1950 Coke machines ,slot machine. jukebox's etc. You get the idea . In this case the customer also a Neon dealer has two broken machines . A 30 mile one way trip on Saturday I was able to fix with parts on Hand his NBA Fast Break . But did not Receive the parts to rebuild his sound Board on His Slug Fest . So what in your opinion is another 60 Mile Round trip worth? I wanted to be very precise in my description so no misunderstanding. A simple " Your order is delayed " would be sufficient . Instead I get a response Saturday after I am at the job .

#16 5 years ago

Its not just Ed but many that have a sideline business to support our hobby.
    Due to the pinball resurgence everyone who ive talked to is overwhelmed esp if they are a one man show. Board repair, parts,specialty pinball mods etc.
    For him to hire someone would cause prices to soar on parts.
    As hard as it is I try to explain this to customers who are waiting for a part etc.They understand.
    Its the nature of the business now and will be for the future. I would rather have it this way than the the other extreme of crickets in the hobby.
    Ed is an asset to the hobby.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Its not just Ed but many that have a sideline business to support our hobby.
    Due to the pinball resurgence everyone who ive talked to is overwhelmed esp if they are a one man show. Board repair, parts,specialty pinball mods etc.
    For him to hire someone would cause prices to soar on parts.
    As hard as it is I try to explain this to customers who are waiting for a part etc.They understand.
    Its the nature of the business now and will be for the future. I would rather have it this way than the the other extreme of crickets in the hobby.
    Ed is an asset to the hobby.

Well said, and with more patience than I would have been able to convey.

I would much rather wait longer for parts than for things to get crazy expensive or for some places to go out of business forever. GPE is a landmark in the industry and I wish Ed the best going forward, I know it’s been a tough year.

60 miles -total-. Seriously? I’ve driven longer than that to help out a Pinsider I didn’t even know.

#18 5 years ago

That's what I love about Pinside A good old boy's club . This is not a hobby , its paying bills , buying food . Sixty miles is a cost to me I can not afford ,its taking away from my income . Again . How about a simple heads up ,your order is delayed . This is it, I am done .

#19 5 years ago

It has nothing to do with a good old boys club. Ed is awesome. In his spare time, he stocks obscure and a lot of times unavailable elsewhere parts as a service to us all. This isn't his full time gig. He buys in bulk quantities, then passes the savings on to his fellow pinheads. Obviously, you chose to order from him because his prices are phenomenal. If you want something fast, then order from arrow.com. Free overnight shipping. You are going to pay a little more though. Its hard to remember what "normal" ship times were like now that we can get anything from amazon in a day or two.

#20 5 years ago

Ed is a solid vendor.
    His components are the highest quality available.
    His advice is priceless.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from cuda3134:

That's what I love about Pinside A good old boy's club . This is not a hobby , its paying bills , buying food . Sixty miles is a cost to me I can not afford ,its taking away from my income . Again . How about a simple heads up ,your order is delayed . This is it, I am done .

As far as I'm aware, nobody else sends an "order delayed" message. I usually get an order complete message, and an order shipped message, and that's it. In rare instance where an item goes out of stock, I may get a backordered message or NLA message.

Like I said, if GPE isn't meeting your needs, there are other choices available. I understand that in the coin-op world, every hour that a machine is down means that it's losing money.

However, I choose to give a lot of my electronics component business to GPE because of quality, pricing, and reliability. GPE's shipping speed has been about the same for the several years I've been placing orders, and I haven't had a problem with it. While next day shipping might be nice, it's not necessary for what I do.

Most repair guys I know charge for travel time. Are you not doing that?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/great-plains-is-ed-still-operating-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.