(Topic ID: 207141)

If you can't buy from GPE where do you buy?

By cottonm4

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D12B990A-F6CD-4D1C-8139-4F40C90BE961 (resized).jpeg
    giphy.gif
    There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I just made my first order to Great Plains Electronics for a good sized order of parts. But GPE is backed up and is not addressing new orders. An email inquiry asking when new orders will start to be taken again has not been answered. I don't feel like waiting around just for an answer that may not come.

There is Mouser and there is Newark. But is there someplace else that is a good place to buy pinball electronics all in one place with one order?

#3 6 years ago

Peter might have what you need at https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/

#4 6 years ago

I was part of the big rush or orders of his. I ordered on the 3rd and it shipped Monday. I got the package yesterday. I think closing the cart was a good thing. Some places would just keep piling on orders and get further and further behind. If you can wait a few days you should give him a chance for his honesty

#5 6 years ago

You'll get an answer from Ed. It may take a few days, but he'll take care of you. Yeah, I understand wanting stuff now, but we're talking small businesses in both cases of GPE and Big Daddy. They aren't Amazon with a warehouse and robots. Basically one guy in both cases, and Ed has a full time job on top of the electronics parts business. So my advice is to order from Ed and sit tight unless you ABSOLUTELY have to have the part now. Ed provides a lot of knowledge and support, he deserves the business and our patience.

#6 6 years ago

I think it's an endorsement of Ed that he had a bunch of people waiting for him to return from his holiday break to overwhelm his shopping cart. He'll get it back in order

#7 6 years ago

+ His prices are better and he knows what you need better than you, well me anyway.

#8 6 years ago

I do appreciate that he did shut down the ordering instead of stacking orders up, taking you money, and then making you wait. Thanks all. I will wait and give him the benefit.

#9 6 years ago

Yep, I've purchased from GPE, and I've always been very happy with the service.

#10 6 years ago

I sometimes feel for Ed at GPE. He has to shut down his store from time to time to catch up and have a quiet holiday with his family. It can be frustrating for some of us but I have always had great service from him. His advice and answers to my questions have always been appreciated.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

+ His prices are better and he knows what you need better than you, well me anyway.

Agree, there have been a few things I needed help with and he has been able to (help me) figure out what I need. The only thing I would say is when you get that back in stock email on his kits you better order as they seem to get bought up fast.

#12 6 years ago

Depends on what you need and how many you need. I shop plenty of places to try and get the best prices.

Onlinecomponents, TTI, and Future electronics have good prices ends up getting a lot of my money anymore. Authorized distributors. Maybe some high minimum order quantities.

tayda electronics is from Thailand, so not everything is Chinese junk. Good prices on ic sockets (comparable maybe same as Adam Tech), passives, and run of mill stuff good prices and has coupons on facebook.

GPE is good because he caters to hobby, has obsolete stuff, but low prices could be questioned when compared to other vendors. But where GPE wins for hobbyist is low minimum order quantities. GPE is typically cheaper than so Digikey tho for what he is stocked. GPE also has to bag up all the stuff. So don't order 10pcs of every single resistor value from GPE, do that from Tayda =D. That will help keep him processing orders fast.

What i normally do is find the part numbers of what I need on digikey. I use digikey because of the awesome very inclusive search engine. Then take those part numbers and search them on all the other suppliers and figure out what makes the most sense to order from.

#13 6 years ago

I have about $100 worth of stuff in my shopping cart, just waiting to be able to checkout. Hoping for this week!

#14 6 years ago

yup i am sure happy to help if i can and always same day shipping. Ed's a great guy but if you can't wait we have way over 1000 different products in stock.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from security0001:

yup i am sure happy to help if i can and always same day shipping. Ed's a great guy but if you can't wait we have way over 1000 different products in stock.

I deal with security0001 alot, good people.

#16 6 years ago

I ordered on the 4th, just got an email it was processed, waiting on shipping info. Much longer than normal. Luckily I'm in no rush.

#17 6 years ago

Ed is extremely knowledgeable and has great customer service. He's definitely an asset to the pinball community.

#18 6 years ago

I am a huge fan of GPE but also a huge fan of Peter! You can’t go wrong.

#19 6 years ago

www.mouser.com for most things when GPE is closed and www.jameco.com for PIA's and CPU's.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I ordered on the 4th, just got an email it was processed, waiting on shipping info. Much longer than normal. Luckily I'm in no rush.

Yeah, I hate when that happens, especially when you pay for priority mail.

#21 6 years ago

Digikey is good too

#22 6 years ago

G-P-E has earned my business and support with his awesome customer service. It’s worth the wait to support a guy like Ed! I think we shared about 12 emails back and forth for what amounted to about $100 worth of parts maybe even less. We chatted. He saw my order, clarified some things and asked some questions based on what I ordered (I was wrong), let me cancel that order and re adjust so I didn’t end up with mismatched stuff.

#23 6 years ago

Anybody who automatically reduces your shipping on a 2nd order when the 1st one has not been sent yet is someone I want to support, like Ed.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Much longer than normal.

Oh yeah... MUCH longer than normal.
    After opening when getting off vacation last Tuesday - I got 2 weeks worth of orders in just a couple hours. I had never seen orders come in this fast. Gave it a few days hoping it would slow down but they kept coming so I had to disable the shopping cart. Still digging out and there is light at the end of the tunnel, I just wish the tunnel wasn't so long!

I do fill the orders in the order they arrive. Yes, it does suck when Priority is selected but, unfortunately, there isn't much I can do.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Oh yeah... MUCH longer than normal.
    After opening when getting off vacation last Tuesday - I got 2 weeks worth of orders in just a couple hours. I had never seen orders come in this fast. Gave it a few days hoping it would slow down but they kept coming so I had to disable the shopping cart. Still digging out and there is light at the end of the tunnel, I just wish the tunnel wasn't so long!
    I do fill the orders in the order they arrive. Yes, it does suck when Priority is selected but, unfortunately, there isn't much I can do.

You have a nice problem to have. What sucks is when the phone quits ringing.

#26 6 years ago

When we are swamped at work people say "that's job security" I always say "I'd like to be just a little less secure".

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

When we are swamped at work people say "that's job security" I always say "I'd like to be just a little less secure".

Talk's cheap

#28 6 years ago

When can we expect to be able to checkout?

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Ed is extremely knowledgeable and has great customer service. He's definitely an asset to the pinball community.

i have over 200 pinball and arcade games in my collection and over the years i have found there is an endless list of people that are assets to the pinball community. when i finally found my Centaur that had been in the back of a moving van that had a slight leak in the roof i had hopes of restoring it, but the playfield was missing 90% of the art work and the plywood was delaminating very badly so it needed a new playfield. i searched high and low and it had been years since there was a run of them done and probably years if ever done again but i came across a great guy (Daniel) in california that made my day. he had several playfields and he was willing to part with the best reproduction one and at a great price so after over two years and loosing hope it would ever play again he made my year. the funny thing was the playfield took about 95% of the damage to the game, so the rest of the game was in excellent shape and other than a stuck slingshot the game when i got it did turn on and work. (major cleaning required). with all the games i have i can say i have bought from about everyone out there and 99% of them i am extremely happy with from Ed to pinballlife to many others, so i greatly appreciate the loyalty one gives to any vendor. i started building kits with my daughter when she was 9 and she loved building our kits together and even at 13 she still builds alot of our kits but so do my older boys and its great time spent with them while making kits that will hopefully save many games. every vendor has products that others don't and much that overlap so i only ask that if there is something you can't find at any of your regular vendors than give us a try and i am sure you will find a wonderful second choice as many thousands of others have and i hope everyone takes a moment to thank all the vendors out there that do such a great job saving and keeping our games alive.

#30 6 years ago

I have several items on the order. Hope they open soon

#31 6 years ago

it's been said so much already but Ed is a great resource worth waiting for if you can and yes there are others too

#32 6 years ago

I'm waiting for Ed too. He has really good prices on his stuff and most others charge double sometimes for what he charges.

#33 6 years ago

Needed some connectors and ended up on gpe last night but kind of recalled this thread after looking at what I needed — thanks arcade parts & repair — ended up ordering from you guys this time after looking at digikey and mouser — there’s soooo many different connectors on those sites it’s a bit too much for Pinball needs unless you know exactly what you want and are used to navigating their websites.. really appreciate gpe and arcade parts and repair for narrowing down to Pinball needs.

#34 6 years ago

I find that (living in Canada) Digi-key is the only company that can ship electronic parts to me overnight. If I am in a real hurry, and as long as I can get the order submitted by 7pm MST, I've got the parts in my hand the very next day. Nobody can get parts across the border as quickly as Digi-key. But if overnight shipping is not a factor, GPE, then Big Daddy.

#35 6 years ago

I use Ed at GPE almost exclusively.
    His prices are fair. He generally has what I need. And I appreciate the ability to use his web site as a cross reference for some part numbers.

He’s a trained EE whose advice here and on RGP has always been valued. I appreciate that and hence, he’s earned my respect and my business.

Todd at Big Daddy is a good supplier too.

I keep a running list of parts to order and about every other month send that order to Ed.

The old French Resteraunt saying is, “if you are made to wait, it is only to serve you better”.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#36 6 years ago

I deal with GPE almost exclusively for my electrical pin parts. He is active on pinside, gives great advise, & has a easy to use web site with the pinball parts I need, fair prices & shipping costs.
    Digikey is my 2nd choice if I need something oddball..

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You have a nice problem to have. What sucks is when the phone quits ringing.

Maybe it’s time to hire a part-time person to fill the orders. A growing business is normally a good thing.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Maybe it’s time to hire a part-time person to fill the orders. A growing business is normally a good thing.

Most pinball people, including Ed, do this sort of thing as a sideline. Ed already has one full time job.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#39 6 years ago

When the sideline grows into a real business, maybe should take advantage and make some money.

#40 6 years ago

Oh, don't think I haven't considered that one! This was supposed to become my real job as I planned to take an early retirement two years ago.

Yes, I would love this to be the full time job. Only one problem... health insurance. I no longer have a real option for obtaining health insurance without keeping my other job.

Now.. back to orders...

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Oh, don't think I haven't considered that one! This was supposed to become my real job as I planned to take an early retirement two years ago.
    Yes, I would love this to be the full time job. Only one problem... health insurance. I no longer have a real option for obtaining health insurance without keeping my other job.
    Now.. back to orders...

I hear you there. I retired recently and am drawing two pensions from Rockwell and one of its Spin-offs. Sadly, I can't afford the current individual healthcare premiums and I'm too young for Medicare. So, I got another job which nicely boosted my income and I like the job and short commute soooo much better.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Now.. back to orders...

Private individual healthcare is a huge issue and prevents a lot of people from separating from the jobs, very unfortunate.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Now.. back to orders...

Ed - Like others you have helped me with orders in the past are always accurate and fast in getting my stuff out. Your site is perfect for us pinball hobbyists. A friend of mine who does my board work always says I should use Digikey but I could not think of anywhere I would rather spend my money than you and BigDaddy. A small difference in price doesn't make up for the large difference in service and a pinball catering web site. Thanks for supporting the pinball community!!!!

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from security0001:

i hope everyone takes a moment to thank all the vendors out there that do such a great job saving and keeping our games alive.

I have. At least for the ones I have used. Not a bad apple in the bunch.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/thank-you-pinball-part-vendors

I do appreciate the service the parts manufacturers and vendors provide to make my Project Pin restorations a success.

I won't repeat the glowing review I gave Ed at GPE here, but suffice it to say that for my needs, Ed is as good as it gets.

#45 6 years ago

Ed at GPE is def worth any wait. I’ve ordered from him a lot over the decade.

#46 6 years ago

Really hoping I can order soon, thought it would be just "a few days" but I may have to go with someone else if it's not back up by Monday or Tuesday.

#47 6 years ago

Change the damn title of the thread, poor choice of words. It makes Ed sound like an ass.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Change the damn title of the thread, poor choice of words. It makes Ed sound like an ass.

What should I change the title to say? Advise me and I will change it or ask the Mods to change it.

But this is what is said on Ed's website, "Orders have been coming in much faster than we can possibly fill them!"

How else do I paraphrase that other than he is 2 busy to take orders?

#49 6 years ago

"If you can't buy from GPE where do you buy?"

#50 6 years ago

What I think is amazing is how so many people who "need" parts can't wait a few days for them. Pinball is a hobby for most people - unlike a car or your house heater there should be no reason not having parts for a week or two is any big deal. Or maybe "plan ahead" and stock some parts so you never have to have a "rush order"?

As stated earlier most pinball parts vendors work full time and do pinball stuff on the side - give the guys a chance! Especially someone like Ed at G.P.E. who has a great overall reputation. It is more important to "get it right" than get it quick!

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/great-plains-electronics-2-busy-to-take-orders-where-to-buy-1?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.