Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Lermods
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wpcufb01a (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Is Great Lakes Modular.com still in business? I inquired about buying some of their product through their email address but haven't heard back from them at all. Does anyone know a better way to contact them or place where I can buy their product online?

#2 4 years ago

They have not been doing business for some time now...which is a real shame as their products were both unique and AWESOME. I really wish they'd come back.

#3 4 years ago

I have emailed them recently and no response.

#4 4 years ago

Don't think so. They don't reply to any contact info posted on their website. Kinda strange that they leave the site up. Maybe they hope to pick it up again someday.

#5 4 years ago

Wish they would take their website and Facebook page down if they have no intentions of ever opening up shop again

#6 4 years ago

Tony stated GLM is gone. Done. Kaput. He REALLY needs to take that website down.

#7 4 years ago

I emailed twice a year ago.. no reply.

#8 4 years ago

Tony is awesome. He was an excellent source for re-engineered parts, many of them at the time were unobtainable. His flipper boards in particular have been extremely helpful over the years as the the flipper optos in WPC games weren't able to be sourced.

On one hand, it's a shame he's not doing business anymore because doing business with him was great, on the other hand, there are a lot more replacement parts available than there used to be.

#9 4 years ago

But unfortunately, some of the stuff he made isn't available elsewhere.

#10 4 years ago

Oh wow, I thought they were still in business and doing all of the great things that they always did. I’m glad that I came over here and saw this post. What a bummer! I hope that they do get back up and doing everything that they used to – there was no one better in the whole pinball market. Thanks for the info, y’all.

#11 4 years ago

Was his shut down caused by the PPS purchase of the rights?

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Was his shut down caused by the PPS purchase of the rights?

I don’t believe so. He just moved on to other things than Pinball.

7 months later
    #13 3 years ago

I think he should be more considerate if he's busy and doesn't have time to run his online business. I waited a week to get no response and then googled and found this thread, I could have made other arrangements instead of wasting a week. Unless you're on your deathbed there's better ways to handle this, let other distributors sell your products, or how about a paragraph on your website explaining that you're busy, or better yet, close your website down.

2 months later
    #14 3 years ago

I agree whole heartedly. Unfortunately because you make a great product or perform a great service does not mean your a good business person!! See it all the time in my end of work

2 weeks later
    #15 3 years ago

Who the fuck leaves a website up for a defunct business? And hey, if you're going to do that, MAYBE out of common courtesy, set an auto-reply for the email address listed on the site.

I've been waiting several days for a reply about a purchase and this morning searched and found this thread. What a bunch of bullshit.

#16 3 years ago

I was trying to spend some money with them too...

#17 3 years ago

What are people trying to order? DumbAss has been making some reproduction boards lately so he might have covered what some of you want. I'm not sure he sells fully assembled boards. His thread is here
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

What are people trying to order? DumbAss has been making some reproduction boards lately so he might have covered what some of you want. I'm not sure he sells fully assembled boards. His thread is here

Data East magnet board for GNR/Last Action Hero.

#20 3 years ago

Yup, but was cheaper on Great Lakes and sounded like his version was more robust.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

DumbAss has been making some reproduction boards lately so he might have covered what some of you want. I'm not sure he sells fully assembled boards. His thread is here

I offer bare (blank) boards and I will build complete (fully assembled boards - some do NOT include re-usable ICs such as the Williams ASIC or CPU processor). Complete boards are currently built (by me) on-demand (meaning there is a build time from request to completion). I am trying to avoid spending time building boards that will sit around when I could use that time to work on other (new) boards.

I don't have a reproduction of this magnet board but it looks fairly simple. I have a (presumed) non-working one that a friend gave me that came out of a Data East Guns N' Roses I could use as a template for reproduction. I would only embark on this reproduction this if there is demand. I am unfamiliar with a lot of the Data East game specific or playfield boards.

I think it would be possible to be made cheaper than either of those two alternatives but until I actually make it and compute the component cost I can't be sure of that. Reproduction time would likely be about one month as it requires schematic capture, board layout, board fabrication and board population (component installation). I do not have a machine that I can test the board in.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Reproduction time would likely be about one month as it requires schematic capture, board layout, board fabrication and board population (component installation). I do not have a machine that I can test the board in.

I can commit to buying one and also test in a Last Action Hero. I'm buying another one in the meantime, but will certainly also buy yours if made available.

1 week later
    #24 3 years ago

I am unable to locate a schematic in the Data East manuals. Perhaps I missed it so if someone does know where and in what manual please point me to it.

The board I have has been hacked a little. It appears that someone has cut the +5V connection for a group of resistors and reconnected them to GND. This changes them from pull up to pull down resistors. I'd like some verification so if someone can post a picture of the back (solder) side of a board this would help. I don't want to proceed on a board without knowing for sure.

#25 3 years ago

His boards and the code are great for troubleshooting.

He really should take down the website as it no longer serves the community. We have other pinsiders msking boards now, so I am sure if we reach out to them, hopefully new boards can be produced. Good luck.

Ken

2 weeks later
    #26 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_ric:

I'd love to get one of his Mini-Playfield Switch Kits for TZ - Version 2!

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheRudyB:

I'd love to get one of his Mini-Playfield Switch Kits for TZ - Version 2!

Sadly I think those are lost to the ages. Thankfully I have one from when they were available.. they look SOOOO much better.

#28 3 years ago

Start your google translator and contact this guy in Germany !
    The sets are great and he designed them due the loss of Great Lakes in the business:

https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/threads/nachbau-mini-switch-kit-twilight-zone.196872/

Maybe you have to create an account to see pictures .

#29 3 years ago

I’d be in for some of the Indy 500 lite up target boards...

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from MikeSinMD:

I’d be in for some of the Indy 500 lite up target boards...

Posted in the owners thread @ https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indianapolis-500-owners-thread-everyone-welcome/page/26#post-5973429

4 months later
    #31 3 years ago

Crap...this is really disappointing. A few days ago I emailed their info address. I thought I'd found a source for good alternatives for flipper opto boards. I found this thread while searching for a pin shop that may carry their products (I wasn't sure if GLM was dealing direct with customers).

I'm not a electronics wiz, but I have designed and had printed very simple circuit boards before, mostly open source projects, nothing pin-related. Circuit-wise, layout, and components that WPC-UFB board seems pretty straightforward, but the steel spring part...I don't know enough to know what to use there.

And it's not something I'd really want to tackle if GLM may come back, not just because of the effort, but also not to rip off someone else's clever design.

But I'm desperate enough I'm considering what would be involved in such an undertaking...

wpcufb01a (resized).jpgwpcufb01a (resized).jpg

#32 3 years ago

Those boards are hot garbage in my experience, and only worked consistently when I superglued the magnets in place. Lots of cheap alternatives out there that work fine. Like, try any other solution.

Example:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/fliptronics-type-2-opto-board-replacement.html

#33 3 years ago

Oh thanks @stevevt, that's really good to know! I wasn't aware of Anarchy PCB.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Those boards are hot garbage in my experience, and only worked consistently when I superglued the magnets in place. Lots of cheap alternatives out there that work fine. Like, try any other solution.
    Example:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/fliptronics-type-2-opto-board-replacement.html

Quoted from Priam:

Oh thanks stevevt, that's really good to know! I wasn't aware of Anarchy PCB.

I've used them on a few games. I didn't notice any issues with them.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've used them on a few games. I didn't notice any issues with them.

Anarchy boards are actually very good.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from Priam:

Crap...this is really disappointing. A few days ago I emailed their info address. I thought I'd found a source for good alternatives for flipper opto boards. I found this thread while searching for a pin shop that may carry their products (I wasn't sure if GLM was dealing direct with customers).
    I'm not a electronics wiz, but I have designed and had printed very simple circuit boards before, mostly open source projects, nothing pin-related. Circuit-wise, layout, and components that WPC-UFB board seems pretty straightforward, but the steel spring part...I don't know enough to know what to use there.
    And it's not something I'd really want to tackle if GLM may come back, not just because of the effort, but also not to rip off someone else's clever design.
    But I'm desperate enough I'm considering what would be involved in such an undertaking...
    [quoted image]

Ingo (tz clock board) was working on reproducing these boards, seems he never finished. Maybe check with @hhaase, he reproduced the roadshow shaker board for me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/great-lakes-modular-still-in-business?hl=pinball_ric and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.