New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 218163)

Great Idea Alert! Timed ball modes for all new games

By spinal

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by HighVoltage
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“all future software packages should have among their options: timed balls”

• Yes 11 votes
      29%
    • No thanks (please post reason) 27 votes
      71%

(38 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Ticket-Tac-Toe (resized).jpg
    punchytheclown (8)_LI (resized).jpg
    punchytheclown (resized).jpg
    1C5E8D5C-1DD3-4486-9046-CACA50AC603C (resized).jpeg

#1 2 years ago

Came across this great idea (thanks greenhornet!)

Quoted from greenhornet:

all future software packages should have among their options: timed balls.

and thought we should vote and discuss. Great for tournaments and also great for home use! Fantastic for streaming! Easy for coders to implement.

Manufactures, please add this optional timed ball mode as standard in all future software releases.

What would be some good lengths of time for this? 1min, 2min, 5min longer?

#2 2 years ago

Please no

#3 2 years ago

Check out James Bond. Original release was timed game with shots to increase time. Failed miserably. They had to release new code for regular play, but damage was done. Basically, timed games have been done before and what sounds like a good idea in your head does not translate well in reality.

#4 2 years ago

Who Dunnit has this. 'Novice Mode', a few minutes (2?) of guaranteed play. Didn't catch on

Quoted from Crile1:

Check out James Bond. Original release was timed game with shots to increase time. Failed miserably. They had to release new code for regular play, but damage was done. Basically, timed games have been done before and what sounds like a good idea in your head does not translate well in reality.

I don't think that's what they meant

#5 2 years ago

Same with Apollo 13, novice mode is 1 ball and standard is 2 mins of guaranteed play.

Same with Bonus Balls as Space Station had, neat feature, but it just didn't catch on

#6 2 years ago

I think Mustang has a mode or option for this as well, right? I've only played it once and it was on location so my memory is a little fuzzy on that. Regardless, no thanks. I don't think it's great for tournaments either, if you want shorter game times make the game harder via settings, moving outlane posts, tight tilts, etc.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Came across this great idea (thanks greenhornet!)

idea has been tried time and time again in the past so probably need to give credit to the coders that have implemented it in the past

I like the idea as an alternative game type but not much fun for actual pinball play.

Can be cool for party type game play.

#8 2 years ago
    1C5E8D5C-1DD3-4486-9046-CACA50AC603C (resized).jpeg
    #9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I like the idea as an alternative game type but not much fun for actual pinball play.
    Can be cool for party type game play.

For leagues and parties, as an alternate setting in the menu could work and be fun.

Farafalla uses time for last ball, SC assault on the vault, etc. I'd say feature in menu but not the core game.

#10 2 years ago

You guys ever play Beat the Clock? Actually a cool game, but I think you are just talking about having gameplay options where it's basically, see how many points you can score in 2 min. type of thing which could add a fun and unique element to competition. Anything creative in pinball, I'm happy to try.

#11 2 years ago

Whatever greenhornet says, do the opposite and you’re golden.

#12 2 years ago

For wizard modes, or a special mode where you get your ball back after the mode completes, sure. Always good for those reverse flipper modes I hate to play's

Party mode is a good idea as an equalizer.

Keep timers to multi ball locks and other fun things.

#13 2 years ago

There are enough hurry ups and timed modes already. Make my entire ball on a time limit?? No thanks very much.

#14 2 years ago

I think gottlieb system 3 already did this... a guaranteed ball time for crappy players.
    Maybe it makes them feel like they got their money's worth?

#15 2 years ago

The only reason I no longer own SafeCracker. Great game but more of a timed redemption.

#16 2 years ago

How would timed balls be good for anything? Safecracker kind of does that but you can add time. In general, all I see is getting penalized/defeated for having a good ball. I would feel cheated if I put money in the machine and it just cuts me short. In a tournament, good players would be handicapped and average players could easily win on luck.

#17 2 years ago

Interesting topic. Ive been devising a software package similar to this in my mind; and since im too busy with work, family, and laziness i pretty much know I will never be able to follow through with this. So, i'll pitch it to pinside and any designers/developers can hopefully run with it because i think it would be fantastic.

The idea is to program a game to have 3 modes of play to choose from; Battle Time Attack, Battle Golf, and Adventure Mode.

Battle Time Attack:
    + Single player or multiplayer game
    + Menu options for 30 sec, 60 sec, 90 sec, 180 sec, 300 sec, etc...time attack game.
    + Rules will be automatically changed for time attack (i.e. multiball easier to achieve, hurry-ups easier to trigger, stacks faster to setup, etc...)
    + Each player gets X amount of time to score as many points as possible. Ball drains will fire balls back into play but can also penalize players such as their end of game bonus. On the flip side - Certain rewards (super jackpot for instance) could add +5 secs to the clock; or a hurry-up cash in to freeze the clock for X amount of seconds.
    + When time is over, flippers die, balls drain, and you collect bonus.

Battle Golf:
    + Single or Multiplayer game
    + This can be a great tool for tutorials.
    + Player Can select between a 3, 6, 9 hole course.
    + Can choose between easy, hard, expert courses or manually customize the course picking from 30 courses of the 3 categories (easy, hard, expert)
    + You can even have a menu options to have people build their own courses, select the par level, and adjust a setting for each course.
    + When you start the first hole, the display will go over the course with a virtual overview of the table and show you what to do. For example:
    • Announcer "Welcome to Multiball bay; this is a par 3 course where you need to start the main multiball. To do so, hit these 3 targets then get the ball in this scoop to lock 1 ball. Lock 4 balls and you will get multiball and complete the course."
    Or and advanced hole...
    • Announcer "Welcome to wizards mountain; This is one of the dreadful mini wizard modes and a Par 4 course where you need to change the red colored shots to white by hitting each shot. But be careful, hitting this shot again will turn it red. Get all 5 shots to be white to complete the course.
    Or an easy hole...
    • Announcer, "Welcome to Lane alley, this is a Par 2 course where you need to Spell G-O-L-F using the 4 inlane switches"
    Overall, you get the idea. A great tool for helping beginners, but also fun for advanced multiplayer games.

Adventure Mode:
    + Single or multiplayer game w/optional Co-Op mode (yay Scott Danesi!)
    + Adventure mode is your Typical 3-ball pinball game

Yes, im a dork

#18 2 years ago

I also don't see much appeal to this. It only works in some rare examples where it suits the game and is implemented as -the way- to play the game. This just doesn't work well if you try to throw it on as an option to a standard game that really isn't designed or programmed with it in mind. It would take extra and careful effort to implement it appropriately. Eskaybee's on the right track, it calls for different game play design.

Only game where I think it works well is Safe Cracker.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

It would take extra and careful effort to implement it appropriately.

Only if you make it complicated.
    Adjustments/Ball time 60 seconds yes/ start button

Not too hard was it?

It's no more hard then changing/programming any adjustment.

#20 2 years ago

Sorry everyone, I think I didn’t phrase my original post properly.

I don’t want really want Pinball machines to be released where every ball is timed.

AS AN OPTIONAL SYSTEM SETTING, just like setting a game to tournament mode, the suggestion is to have an optional system setting called TIMED BALL MODE. Discussing this optional system setting being added to all new games just like tournament mode is the purpose of this thread.

All I’m saying is that it might be nice in some tournament settings when games are too long. Also nice when you have guests over and your games take an hour and the guest takes 2min so this would make it interesting for all players.

#21 2 years ago

so many possible variations on this idea, it isn't funny. most of them would have no connection to the manner in which they have been implemented in the past. you can throw all the 'failed' stuff from the past out with the bathwater. as 'the law' pointed out, some of the simplest variations are so basic they don't require squat to implement. variations on a higher level will certainly prove to be exciting. they do not have to be incorporated into the game at all times. stop talking as if its just about allowing novices guaranteed playtime. people need to think outside the box a bit if we expect any innovation to happen in pinball. we don't need more 300lb, 22 character games that have 3.25 sextillion variations.

my hope for future games are ones that :

shoot well,
    with speed,
    offer the player more flips per minute,
    offer shorter objectives, with rewards for accomplishing those tasks in a timely manner
    take place in a quasi-chaotic environment
    allow the option of playing under any number of time constraint variants

these attributes should put an emphasis on accuracy and control.

im hoping for exhilarating games, not just fun ones.

to emulate this type of game, i feel we are looking at shortening the playfield.
    i was happy to see the current thread discussing whether cocktail pins could make a comeback. people should be taking a closer look at that concept. not necessarily from the sit down aspect, but from the standpoint of making the playfields on standup models shorter. with modern design features you can fit a lot into a punchy the clown. eliminate the backglass, and you have a table top for drinks or a place for a topper where you can actually see it; a machine with a smaller footprint, probably 100+ pounds lighter, and thus easier to move.

punchytheclown (resized).jpg

punchytheclown (8)_LI (resized).jpg

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Who Dunnit has this. 'Novice Mode', a few minutes (2?) of guaranteed play. Didn't catch on

I owned in past my daughter loved it like driving games made for more fun for a young kid

#23 2 years ago

Greenhornet, your dream machine already exists.

Ticket-Tac-Toe (resized).jpg

#24 2 years ago

My fear is that some operators would operate their games with timed balls all the time.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinslot:

My fear is that some operators would operate their games with timed balls all the time.

Then people wouldn't play them as much, and they'd get the message.

#26 2 years ago

Punchy isn't that bad! I would own one for my 6 year old, for the right price.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Only if you make it complicated.
    Adjustments/Ball time 60 seconds yes/ start button
    Not too hard was it?
    It's no more hard then changing/programming any adjustment.

You missed my point completely. There's little value in throwing a timer on a game not designed taking timed play into account ( that's where the effort comes into play ). Safe Cracker is a game that does this.

#28 2 years ago

No I understood it i just disagree with you. It's not how the game is set up its how the player plays the game to race for points. It's strictly for playing against other people... just a silly idea that seems fun and reminds me of the Starcade game show from the 80s if you've ever seen it.

#29 2 years ago

Yes I think they already do this sometimes in competition where you have 3 min say on AFM say and winner is one with highest score. Just silly fun that’s something for a change. TNA is an example of a game that has many new innovative optional modes like this for example multiplayer coop mode.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No I understood it i just disagree with you. It's not how the game is set up its how the player plays the game to race for points. It's strictly for playing against other people... just a silly idea that seems fun and reminds me of the Starcade game show from the 80s if you've ever seen it.

When you put it that way, I can see that having merit. Since it is an easy addition, no reason to be against this as an additional option for novelty play, meant more for advanced players rather than beginners. I didn't realize that's how the original proposal was meant.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    SilverBall Designs
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 23.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 2.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Playfield - Protection
    PinShield
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 58.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Chrome Candy
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 1,199.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 209.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 96.77
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball-Mods.com
    $ 28.95
    $ 209.99
    $ 6,750.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside