Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by KenLayton
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG3739.jpg

#1 8 years ago

What kind of grease if any are you guys using in the switch cups that the center post contacts. All of my machines have something there. I imagine it's the same type of grease used on the reset assembly motor wheels.

#2 8 years ago

I keep them nice and dry. Eventually the grease will just gum up with dust and crap and it won't work properly. Polish the cups and they'll be nice and slippery anyway.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

I keep them nice and dry. Eventually the grease will just gum up with dust and crap and it won't work properly. Polish the cups and they'll be nice and slippery anyway.

Giddy-Up!
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#4 8 years ago

Nice and dry they shall be. Curious what all the black gunk is that I'm pulling out of them, really yucky, dried up stuff.

#5 8 years ago

S

Quoted from jasonsmith:Nice and dry they shall be. Curious what all the black gunk is that I'm pulling out of them, really yucky, dried up stuff.

Some guys put grease in the spoons and it turns into what you are seeing.
    If you clean the spoon with Plexus it will shine it and make it slick and as a bonus it repels the magic dust.
    I use this stuff on all my plastics.

Plexus™ was developed for use in aviation, specifically for cleaning and protecting aircraft windshields and painted surfaces. Its quite simply the most effective product you can buy for cleaning, polishing and protecting all clear and colored plastics and painted surfaces.

Plexus is easier to use, and leaves a noticeably cleaner, more lustrous finish than conventional polishes. It protects by actually sealing the pores in plastic making it more resistant to debris, oil, bugs or scratches. And because its anti-static, it repels dust and lint. Its perfect for windshields and the leading edges of the wings, as well as for removing exhaust stains and cleaning wheel wells.

Also, Plexus polishes without harmful abrasives. It leaves an invisible, micro-thin layer of wax without smears or smudges. It dries to a crystal clear luster, leaving no oily, sticky or tacky residue. Its the ultimate detailer for your aircraft and pinballs. So, if you're looking for a better way to save time, money and help protect your valuable investment, its clearly brilliant. Plexus. Clearly the best.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from jasonsmith:

Curious what all the black gunk is that I'm pulling out of them, really yucky, dried up stuff.

That is the congealed, decades old lube that Woz noted...
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#7 8 years ago

FWIW; I use MBI Instrument grease in the bumper switch cups. That is probably what you are finding gummed up there. MBI grease is "non-gumming" but any grease that is 30 years old is bound to have dried up being exposed to air etc.

#8 8 years ago

I've been using white lube in my pop bumper switch cups but redo them once a year. Never had a problem doing that in all the years I've been involved in collecting and working my routes. I think MBI is also an excellent choice but I've never tried it in pinball, I'll have to give it a shot next time. Thanks for the suggestion.

#9 8 years ago

MBI Instrument Grease is what Williams originally supplied in a squeeze tube with every EM Williams pinball I ever uncrated. Bally supplied it too. They both labeled the tube, "Coin Machine Grease" and in the fine print on the tube said MBI Instrument Grease.

The pop bumper spoon was greased from the factory. Today I use Super Lube synthetic grease from a squeeze tube on the pop bumper spoon.

#10 8 years ago

That's funny, I've never read that tube but I have used it in pinball then. I use MBI in my fishing reels because it's so thin but holds where it's placed and doesn't seem to break down in water (don't ask how I know this).

Quoted from KenLayton:

MBI Instrument Grease is what Williams originally supplied in a squeeze tube with every EM Williams pinball I ever uncrated. Bally supplied it too. They both labeled the tube, "Coin Machine Grease" and in the fine print on the tube said MBI Instrument Grease.
    The pop bumper spoon was greased from the factory. Today I use Super Lube synthetic grease from a squeeze tube on the pop bumper spoon.

#11 8 years ago

I have a tube of that Bally grease I found in an old em, the stuff is hard as a rock.
    It was probably state of the art 30 years ago but then again so was I.

#12 8 years ago

Photo of various tubes of pinball grease that were available. Bally free samples, Bally sold tubes, Williams sold tube and box as the Williams version is in a metallic tube (that one was bought around 1972). And finally a tube of genuine Gottlieb "White Lube". I believe that Gottlieb White Lube is Lubriplate. Still available. All of them, procured in the mid '70's are still good. All have been stored in the usual "cool, dry place".

IMAG3739.jpg

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Today I use Super Lube synthetic grease from a squeeze tube on the pop bumper spoon.

Find a local retailer > http://www.super-lube.com/authorized-distributors-ezp-10.html

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

I have a tube of that Bally grease I found in an old em, the stuff is hard as a rock.
    It was probably state of the art 30 years ago but then again so was I.

You were state of the art or hard as a rock 30 years ago

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

This is what I do and have never had a problem, but everyone has their way of doing it. As far as any wear caused without grease added there would be none. You have metal to plastic. The general rule for lubrication in pinball machines is metal to metal only. I think it was overkill by the manufacture to make it a rule of thumb to lubricate the Pop Bumper Spoon to begin with. To me lubrication would only cause you grief in the long run as it will just do the same thing again that you are already dealing with, a gummed up part.

Ken

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

S

Some guys put grease in the spoons and it turns into what you are seeing.
    If you clean the spoon with Plexus it will shine it and make it slick and as a bonus it repels the magic dust.
    I use this stuff on all my plastics.
    Plexus™ was developed for use in aviation, specifically for cleaning and protecting aircraft windshields and painted surfaces. Its quite simply the most effective product you can buy for cleaning, polishing and protecting all clear and colored plastics and painted surfaces.
    Plexus is easier to use, and leaves a noticeably cleaner, more lustrous finish than conventional polishes. It protects by actually sealing the pores in plastic making it more resistant to debris, oil, bugs or scratches. And because its anti-static, it repels dust and lint. Its perfect for windshields and the leading edges of the wings, as well as for removing exhaust stains and cleaning wheel wells.
    Also, Plexus polishes without harmful abrasives. It leaves an invisible, micro-thin layer of wax without smears or smudges. It dries to a crystal clear luster, leaving no oily, sticky or tacky residue. Its the ultimate detailer for your aircraft and pinballs. So, if you're looking for a better way to save time, money and help protect your valuable investment, its clearly brilliant. Plexus. Clearly the best.

Plexus is a fantastic product. I use it on the windscreen & plastics on my motorcycle. Nothing else compares.

#18 8 years ago

Clean and dry and polished spoons work the best for me. I usually find that gunk on old metal spoons and clean them off with wd40. It is a great cleaner for that purpose. Just spray a little on a rag and clean away. Then I smooth them off with a super fine steel wool and give them a final wipe with a microfiber cloth. If the cloth feels "snaggy" then I know there is more steel wool work to be done. Plastic spoons cleaned with novus2 works for me. I'm very interested in this plexus product now though. I will have to get some.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Photo of various tubes of pinball grease that were available.

Be sure to keep hold of those tubes with the pin MFG logos, especially that brown box. The box may eventually become more valuable than the tube of grease for some collector.

Far as the bumper cup, mine remain dry and grease free.

#20 8 years ago

I understand Caig # L260-N1 grease is very close to the original MBI Instrument Grease.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2134619_-1

amazon.com link »

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside