(Topic ID: 41188)

GRC on Ebay 5 rules for buying a pinball machine??

By Concretehardt

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TurboTim
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

What's the story with these guys they seem a little cocky or something...
    WTF "HEP restored GRC improved" they improved on HEP?
    ebay.com link » 1997 Bally Cirqus Voltaire Pinball Machine Hep Restored Grc Improved

Below are thier "5 rules for buying a pinball machine"???

5 RULES FOR MAKING A GREAT PINBALL MACHINE PURCHASE:
    "Don't EVER buy a machine that you haven't seen, played, evaluated, & discussed face-to-face, in person!
    Don't EVER have a pinball machine shipped distances because you think you found some "bargain."
    You'll be out the shipping costs & have a 99% probability of utter disappointment & headaches.
    Support your local pinball shop. If you don't, they might not be there when you NEED them!
    Don't be a cheapskate!
    If there's evidence that someone invested serious time & money into reviving something, don't try to step on their face.
    Businesses need to make a reasonable profit on parts & labor or they will not be there when you NEED them!
    Cheapskates (even more than lazy crooks) are a major contributor to the loads of substandard machines on the market.
    Buy with a WARRANTY & secure a service "plan." Pinball machines break - it's what they do.
    Most of the time, if you're not completely inept, you'll be able to successfully diagnose & make needed repairs.
    Sometimes, you WILL need help. Be prepared with a contingency plan!
    Break any of these rules at your own risk! It's a gamble you won't win...
    Would you buy a car without driving & evaluating it yourself? Think about it..."

#2 7 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

WTF "HEP restored GRC improved" they improved on HEP?

The ad does say it was do for a cleaning and they updated LEDs and stuff.

Of course improved might be the next over used term like L@@K, HUO, SHOPPED.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

While the author isn't the most eloquent I have ever seen, the basic ideas behind the rules are pretty good advice for new buyers, which is mostly who is buying pins on Ebay.

#4 7 years ago

I recently bought 28 pins. 20 of them were on E-bay. 19 of those 20 were exactly as advertised. 1 was a bit of a disappointment. I guess I was just really lucky.

#5 7 years ago

I want a cv bad, but not for that kind of dough

#6 7 years ago

Seem like a bag of dicks to me...

#8 7 years ago

"Don't EVER buy a machine that you haven't seen, played, evaluated, & discussed face-to-face, in person!

But please click on the buy it now button.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

LOL!

#10 7 years ago

I have purchased 3 machines from them....and had them fix up another 1 that needed some work. They all still function 100% and ive never felt disappointed or ripped off....I got what I paid for. The team at GRC are a good group of guys with a passion for pinball....new and old....with the experience and skill to back it up. They have always been friendly and ready to help with any trouble shooting issues that have come my way...even on machines I didn't get from them.

If this thread is an attempt at humor or putting down the OP.....the only thing it's doing is advertising free for them. HER HERE....let the "pinball" good times roll

As with most eBay pinball listings....talkin with the seller and making an offer WITHOUT eBay is welcomed I'm sure!

You have a minute.....TO WIN IT!

#11 7 years ago

Agree with pinballerchef....good group of guys. Don't hesitate to do business with them.

Although, bring back the girls!

#12 7 years ago

i have also bought 6 games from them, as said above great guys willing to trouble shoot any problem on any machine, ray the tech really knows his shit, as with anything you get what you pay for in this world.

#13 7 years ago

Beautiful restorations, but they need to hire someone else to write their ad copy. This snipe at TNT is snotty and childish IMHO:

When high-end collectors want their high end pins pins cleaned, fixed, tuned, & otherwise serviced, who do they TRUST? Industrial park rooftop tossing hackemups? No way! Choosy dads choose GRC for the best of the best pinball detail service & restoration in the world!

#14 7 years ago

I agree with PinballerChef. I have done business with GRC and above all else, the team there cares and also has passion for delivering solid products and Customer Service.

I would (will) definitely work with them again.

This seller has a retail location that you can walk into and shop. As a customer that is worth something - and a far friendlier buying environment than what sometimes exists with Private Sellers (Craig's List) or even sometimes other businesses. The recently defunct "Jumble Store comes to mind - see other threads in this forum on that topic - That Guy would not even let you know his location (which was easy enough to discover anyway) unless you pre-purchased $10 credit on his website - extremely customer un-friendly - and look where that business is now. "Owner Retiring" MY ASS. LOL

No one at GRC stands there with the foot tapping while the customer is contemplating a buying decision.

Having said all of this, I too have occasionally cringed at the choice of wording I see on ebay - BUT the bottom line is that the underlying points GRC makes are solid ones. I concur with Swampfire's sentiment - but at the end of the day, I am disinterested in the politics that might exist between individual parties.

Thanks, PennSkier

#15 7 years ago

I've purchased one pin from GRC and my experience there was fantastic. Both Mike & Ray were a pleasure to deal with, knew their 'stuff' & in no way put any pressure on me to make a purchase. They were simply there to assist me if I had questions and I ultimately bought from them. No regrets here.

#16 7 years ago

I've bought games from them too. I really enjoyed the experiance and they are a great bunch of guys. Their prices are negotiable. My current game from them might not be a pinball machine, but it got the same amount of attention as a pinball machine would have.

#17 7 years ago

This is the pinball pimp right? What happed to Danielle?

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

What happed to Danielle?

I think someone said that she moved up in the modeling world.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from lrosent345:

I recently bought 28 pins. 20 of them were on E-bay.

Where those the ones from Italy?

#20 7 years ago

Was it GRC who always had pics of hot chicks in their Ebay pin adds?

#21 7 years ago

Yes that is correct.

#22 7 years ago

And some not so hot.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And some not so hot.

Well it's no wonder this is the first time I've ever read the text on one of their ebay adds
    I was busy looking at pictures before

#24 7 years ago

So glad GRC doesn't do Craigslist ads.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

ROFL!!!

#26 7 years ago

1-5 : Don't buy a pinball on ebay

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

1-5 : Don't buy a pinball on ebay

I bought 3 from Ebay and they are in amazing shape, pristine. So don't buy from Ebay, leaves more for savvy shoppers. Not everyone knows about pinside.com , so you get a lot of really nice HOU games listed by private sellers.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from starbase:

So don't buy from Ebay, leaves more for savvy shoppers.

They are all your's.

#29 7 years ago

A question to those who have purchased machines from GC? The prices for the machines seem high for Pinside averages. Was the quality of the product you were going to receive and that piece of mind worth the premium price?

#30 7 years ago

grc prices are negotiable, i have never paid the asking price from them, that the ebay fee's price

1 week later
    #31 7 years ago

i have numerous pins from grc, alot better than other places i got them from. ray has been fixing my machines for 14 years, wouldnt want anyone else fixing what i cant. as far as the tnt snipe, have you noticed that tnt does the same on their ads?

#32 7 years ago

To the op - thanks for the free advertising referral! To Shawn R, Colton, ChefShawn, Jimmy, & a few more of the faithful (but unidentifiable by Pinside handle) GRC customers - Hi fellas! Thanks for your support!!!
    -GRC

#33 7 years ago

anytime, grc rocks, screw the haters.

#34 7 years ago

hope to see you down here in may for the allentown show shawn

#35 7 years ago

and oh yeah, hey minusworlds, go fuck yourself for calling them a bag of dicks. while i am at it captain neo can go lick some nuts too for all of his grc bashing i have seen in the past. have a nice night everyone

#36 7 years ago

I havn't really bashed them. I stood up for the chics. Yea, their prices is way over the top, but never said anything bad about their marketing strategy, or how the girls look. Prices are crazy tho.

On a plus note, I would like to see what a Bag of Dicks looks like. You talking like Paper Grocery bag or maybe an environment friendly reusable cloth bag?

#37 7 years ago

enviro friendly for sure ROFL

#38 7 years ago

GRC has really nice stuff and is worth checking out if you are in SE PA. You pay for nice stuff of course. Prices on ebay are high and you should just call them if you are interested in something to see what the real prices as. Mike and Ray (and Jim!) stand behind their work and will take care of you if you have any problems.

If you don't want to pay for a premium machine there are plenty of other options in the area. Pinball Gallery has a retail store right down the road and has a ton of machines in the $1-$2k range that tend to be priced fairly based on their current condition. Bill's games are all actively getting played so you can how well they are working but you are also not going to get any minty HUOs from him. Bill stands behind his machines as well and is a great guy who isn't pushy about sales and just likes to have more people playing pinball.

Personally, I like having options and I'm glad these guys are all in the business. Buying on ebay and craiglist is OK for certain people, but if you just want someone to stand behind a machine and help you fix it when it eventually breaks, the local retail pinball shop is by far the best choice.

-Jay

#39 7 years ago

Such a beautiful machine, such a horrible price. It's so sad to see this become a 1%'er hobby.

#40 7 years ago

It's good to hear they have a lot of backers. Their eBay ads however are cocky and at times condescending. I mean come on, IMPROVING on HEP?? Because you shopped a game and added LED's? There's a reason they have HEP in the title, because it's the best and it's good they give Chris some props but don't say you improved it because you threw in some bulbs...it makes you look like an ass, By all accounts your service seems to be great don't let stupid eBay ads detract from that.

#41 7 years ago

I stopped by in person to checkout a couple of their pins. All the machines I looked at were in very nice condition. I would buy with confidence from team GRC but yes you will overpay. The person I spoke to seemed a little cocky but that's ok because he was confident and proud of his work. Not sure if I agree on the use of the lovely models in your ads but...... maybe it's time to post some help wanted signs at DCCC.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

On a plus note, I would like to see what a Bag of Dicks looks like. You talking like Paper Grocery bag or maybe an environment friendly reusable cloth bag?

Neo, I wish you hadn't written that. Now Akumazeto or another one of our illustrious Pinsiders will feel compelled to put up a GIF image on this thread. I'll get nauseous and one of the moderators will have to kill the thread. JK

#43 7 years ago

Bring back the GIRLS!

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

Neo, I wish you hadn't written that. Now Akumazeto or another one of our illustrious Pinsiders will feel compelled to put up a GIF image on this thread. I'll get nauseous and one of the moderators will have to kill the thread. JK

that's what I was hoping for. Nice surprise eye popping image to burn in everyones minds.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Thinking like small brown bag full of pee pees and testicles. Not sure but that was the first thing that popped in my head after reading the description.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from gameroomguru:

To the op - thanks for the free advertising referral! To Shawn R, Colton, ChefSean, Jimmy, & a few more of the faithful (but unidentifiable by Pinside handle) GRC customers - Hi fellas! Thanks for your support!!!
    -GRC

Fixed

To the guys whining about them being cocky or confident.....what's really wrong with that?? At least they are putting out the best product they can....and believe in it 100%. I am that way with my career and would be as well if I had the pinball skills they possess. The ads on eBay may be a bit over the top but they are fun to read....take them as they are and keep a sense of humor around. I'm sure as passionate as they are.....breaking down, cleaning, and putting pinball machines back together all day can be grinding. We all need our humorous outlet....this is theirs

#47 7 years ago

They should go back to promoting the local talent....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 93.00
    $ 9.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 19.95
    $ 13.00
    $ 289.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
    Flashinstinct
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside