Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Krupps4
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D06FE982-C640-432D-9A68-D3EA26F7940F (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Am I the only one that thinks this would make for a great music pin? Wall of sound, double drums, iconic art, well over 30 yrs of music and concert footage to pick from. Would love to see the GNR jjp treatment to this band one day. Target demographic is huge as well. People as young as 30-70 enjoy this music and culture and there is a large collector base. Despite your musical taste, they are a big chunk of Americana history and one could argue defined a counter culture generation as well as live music in general. Thoughts? What songs would you want included?

D06FE982-C640-432D-9A68-D3EA26F7940F (resized).jpegD06FE982-C640-432D-9A68-D3EA26F7940F (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago

just to be honest I think their music would be terrible for pinball. I am not a huge LZ fan but at least their music fits pinball better.

#3 3 years ago

You are absolutely not! I’d be ALL in on a Dead pin. In fact, I’d probably get an LE which is something I never do.

Franklins Tower!

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

just to be honest I think their music would be terrible for pinball. I am not a huge LZ fan but at least their music fits pinball better.

It would definitely be a different feel, but I’d would appreciate a manufacturer taking a shot at something different rather than more of the same. If done right, I’m sure it would work well.

#5 3 years ago

I'd be in for that.

#6 3 years ago

The premise of the game could be that you’re in the parking lot trying to get into a dead show and have to score “items” to barter your way inside. (Think Diner but with acid.) After you complete all the modes you get a light show and a live performance. The topper could be Bill Walton’s head above a crowd.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from uptownsinclair:

The premise of the game could be that you’re in the parking lot trying to get into a dead show and have to score “items” to barter your way inside. (Think Diner but with acid.) After you complete all the modes you get a light show and a live performance. The topper could be Bill Walton’s head above a crowd.

Then as a mystery award prize, someone could get a miracle and go straight into the show.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from uptownsinclair:

They could even be playing shakedown street while you were in the lot.

#11 3 years ago

Eight hundred deci-grams of steel... out of control

#12 3 years ago

Your "Special" award, uses a ticket dispenser for some Ken Kesey Special Blotter.....

#13 3 years ago

I just played 4hrs of pins tonight with the volumes turned down and Dead crankin.

#14 3 years ago

The Dead is great, but the moment I saw GNR I thought, man this game would be amazing if they did the same kind of theme integration for Phish.

Not enough punch to most of the Dead songs to make a good pin imo.

Althea
    Franklins tower
    Dire wolf
    Sugar magnolia
    Truckin
    Shakedown street

Those would be a handful of my must haves.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Then as a mystery award prize, someone could get a miracle and go straight into the show.

Or perhaps if they don't get the miracle they need, they go to hell in a bucket.

Bonus points awarded whenever you "dead" pass before making a shot.

#16 3 years ago

I’d prefer Phish, but would be cool with the dead

It would need an epic light show. I’d love to see maybe some sort of lava lamp toy or a kaleidoscope lighting effect.

Dancing bear toys like the dancing band on AC/DC

#17 3 years ago

At least on something like this the art could be some of the best we’ve seen if done right.

#18 3 years ago

I doubt this ever happens most fans will end up going down the road feeling bad.
    Pinball manufacturers tend to go where the climate suits their clothes.
    Pinball collectors tend to dream of a place where the water taste like wine.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I just played 4hrs of pins tonight with the volumes turned down and Dead crankin.

What show did you listen to? 4 hours sounds like a New Year's or Europe 72 style gig.

#20 3 years ago

Would be a great idea for a pin. Best idea I have heard lately. It's not just 30-70 year old demographic, it's more like a 21-80 demographic.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I do this all the time.I have the Dead Channel locked in on Sirius all over the house.Thousands of concerts and lots of surprises.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

I do this all the time.I have the Dead Channel locked in on Sirius all over the house.Thousands of concerts and lots of surprises.

Talk about dead air... radio stations used to try to avoid that.

#23 3 years ago

Thanks for the insight.I said "I do" is that ok with you.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

where the water taste like wine.

Sounds more like Canned Heat. Going Up The Country.

LTG : )

#25 3 years ago

Normally I'd agree. But we've had music pins now.

We need some crazed psychos slashing up clowns or mimes or something once.

LTG : )

#27 3 years ago

The other thing I’ll say about a Grateful Dead pin is that the Dead don’t seem to have a problem granting licenses for just about anything, so I don’t think there would be big licensing issues like there probably were for bands like Zep and the Beatles.

#28 3 years ago

It would be an automatic LE buy for me although unfortunetly, it'll never happen.

#29 3 years ago

Agreed the music might not fit pinball perfectly. They do have some rocking tunes however. Maybe more of a stop and go approach? Just couldn’t help dreaming when looking at that GNR LE package and imagining what the side cab would look like with all the iconic dead posters. Red trim with all the roses and skulls. Anyways, LTG I agree we need a spooky horror table. Hopefully Ben heck will deliver on something here in the near future. I’m still amazed that there is no total recall pin. So perfect for pinball with the amazing Arnold one liners and crazy scenes from the movie. How do we have twister, but no total recall ?? I’m aware of the crazy 2 person table they tried to build, but no serious approach was ever attempted. As for the song list I would want China cat, touch of grey, friend of the devil, greatest story ever told, Alabama getaway, shakedown street, one more Saturday night, eyes of the world. One can always dream : )

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

What show did you listen to? 4 hours sounds like a New Year's or Europe 72 style gig.

Just some of my random selections of songs.

#31 3 years ago

Enjoy.

5 months later
    #32 2 years ago

This would be the only sight unseen I’m going to buy it theme. I also think widespread panic would make a great theme. Probably not enough draw for it though.

-I need a miracle ball save
    -Love the shakedown street lot scene possibilities
    -Maybe a multi ball that can be built up for another multi ball. For example scarlet begonias multi ball where you can jam enough to create scarlet/fire multi ball or help/slip/franklins something like that.
    -Which band lineup do you get? Kieth’s lineup with a nod to others?

3 weeks later
    #33 2 years ago
    Quoted from JRBBRJ:

-Maybe a multi ball that can be built up for another multi ball. For example scarlet begonias multi ball where you can jam enough to create scarlet/fire multi ball or help/slip/franklins something like that.

I think your idea regarding the “jam” multi ball is a good one. I think people underestimate the power of The Dead. For example, I’d by an LE sight unseen and I’ve never bought an LE. The designer would have to think outside of the box, but there are a lot of great possibilities. You could even incorporate some of the people tangentially related with cameos, such as Ken Kesey.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grateful-dead-long-strange-trip-pinball?hl=jrbbrj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.