Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by katoskave
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hello all, I have a granny and the gators I am trying to get up and running. The mpu is good. I get a real quick flicker and the 2 flashes and then the light stays on the vidiot deluxe board. So it is flickers real quick then on off on off then comes on and stays. From what I have found it says u9 would be the culprit. Is there any easy way of checking this not having an extra board? Are these chips available game specific? Thanks for any help.

#2 9 years ago

Just sell or trade it to me and I will get it going. It will help me relive my days at our local roller rink!

#3 9 years ago

The chips shouldnt be game specific. Try arcadechips.com

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for the response. So are you saying the chips from u9 to u4 are the same. Does anyone have a granny and the gators manual with schematics and the Vidiot deluxe theory of operation

#5 9 years ago

Try re-seating the connectors between the vidiot board and the mpu.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks Wolf I tried that. No change. I got the theory of operation now. I just need the schematics

#7 9 years ago

What are the numbers for the chips U9 and U4?

#8 9 years ago

Do you mean like the actual chip numbers. If so I can get them in the morning. What are you wanting the numbers for. Just curious. Thanks

#9 9 years ago

Yes, actual numbers off the chips. If the numbers are the same, they will probably interchange. If the numbers are not the same, you can find the pin-out to see if they will interchange.

#10 9 years ago

if the numbers arent the same then go to arcadechips.com and get some and replace them! Hes a great guy to buy from and is reasonable with his pricing.

#11 9 years ago

Thanks I am going to work on this game in the morning. I will let you know how it goes.

#12 9 years ago

Ok I got the chip numbers u9 is MBM2764-25 U4 THRU U8 ARE MBM2764-30 if I order these chips from arcade chips do they have to be programmed? On there site all I see is chip 2764

#13 9 years ago

Is there any other way to get ahold of the guy at arcadechips.com? I sent a message last thursday and one this morning. He never has got back with me. I wish he had a phone number.

3 weeks later
#14 9 years ago

Anybody have any info on the vidiot deluxe board led light staying on constant after 2 flashes. I have reprogrammed chips for u8 and u9. It is like after it gets done checking the sound board it just hangs and does not even start checking the vidiot deluxe board at all.

#15 9 years ago

See if this helps:

http://www.pinrepair.com/bally/babypac.htm

Do a CTRL+F for the "Baby Pacman Vidiot Board LED Flashes" section.

Since it doesn't make it to the third flash, there may be something that doesn't pass the third test.

3rd Flash.
After a pause, the 6809 CPU chip at U8 attempts to test the program EPROM at U12. This is done using a chksum routine. If the chksum is correct, the third LED flash is shown. If there is no third LED flash, the EPROM at U12 is bad (or its socket or a trace is broken going to U12).

#16 9 years ago

A common problem with this design is the battery from the MPU board leaking and taking out the ROMs on the Vidiot board. You likely have battery damage and need to clean/change ROM/socket/board.

viperrwk

#17 9 years ago

You guys are talking about baby pacman. The first 2 flashes on granny is testing the sound board that babby pac does not have. So the third flash would be the first test on the vidiot deluxe board. On granny and the gators the vidiot board is not under the mpu. Not even on the same wall. I appreciate the suggestions though.

#18 9 years ago

Because of the additional TMS9928 chip and added RAM/ROM on the Vidiot Deluxe, the LED boot up sequence is different. Note the LED flashes come very quickly are are not easy to count. Here's the codes. (A flash means that "check" is completely.)

U3 Cheap Squeek sound board check
U1 Cheap Squeek sound board check
U9 Vidiot Deluxe check
U8 Vidiot Deluxe check
U7 Vidiot Deluxe check
U6 Vidiot Deluxe check
U5 Vidiot Deluxe check
U4 Vidiot Deluxe check
U10 Vidiot Deluxe check
U27 PIA Vidiot Deluxe check
U18 Master VDP check
U19 to U26 RAM check
U28 Slave VDP check
U29 to U36 slave VRAM check

From the same link as earlier.

I *think* the only difference between baby pac and gators is the vidiot board is a deluxe version in gators.

#19 9 years ago

I've working on a vidiot deluxe board for Granny and the Gators for at least 2 months now and have three VD boards plus a second Working granny to test in. Here is what I've found with having experienced what you are going through. First off most Granny game ROMs are corrupted and need to be Re Dumped so do that first from U4 to U9, you can get a complete set from K's arcade for 65.00. The next thing I recommend is replacing and socketing U11 and U12 as these are the communication chips for that initial seek procedure for U9 once you do all that cross your fingers and you may get boot up if not where I am now is bad processor chips U3,U28 and U18 on all 3 of my vidiot deluxe boards these chips have corroded or broken legs, I'm up to 15 flashes and almost booting. Make sure you also check the legs of all the sockets for game ROMs as well as any other sockets I have plenty of cold solder joints on my sockets and corrosion under the sockets on one of my boards. Good luck it's frustrating but it will be rewarding bringing another Granny and the Gators back to life.

Joe(acejedi)

#20 9 years ago

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ And that right there is why I messaged this specific thread to AceJedi since I know the headaches he has been going through with his own game. Thanks for the help / write-up Joe!

#21 9 years ago

Thanks guys I will take your information and try it thats for sure. I will try anything to get this thing going.

#22 9 years ago

Thanks fattrain and acejedi Ok I have programmed new chips for u4 thru u9. I have socketed u10 and u11 have old chips in it waiting for new chips. Put new sockets and chips at u18 and u28. Still flashes twice the light comes on and stays on. Q

#23 9 years ago

I just replaced the chips at u11 and u12 with new ones? Still have the same thing

#24 9 years ago

Ok I have everything unplugged except the J3 plug to the vidiot deluxe board. This is power which each on pi. 1 and 2 is 15v Sometimes you turn it on and nothing. Sometimes the led comes on and just stays. Any ideas

#25 9 years ago

No idea man but don't give up!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 199.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/granny-gator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.