• Latest reply 2 years ago by AMSNL
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GSR_16x9_small (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Grand Slam Rally, a pitch-and-bat style P3 mini-game developed by 86Pixels, is now available for purchase on the Multimorphic web store. This is the first game developed for the P3 by a 3rd-Party, and it’s a beautifully executed concept that’s perfect for the machine. It works with the Cannon Lagoon playfield and is fun for all ages and all skill levels.

“Grand Slam Rally is the first title that, to me, truly validates the vision of the P3. Designed by third party developer 86 Pixels, it proves that anyone can produce a first-class P3 game of their own design. It has really given me confidence that I can do so someday. GSR also delivers on the core P3 value proposition that originally sold me on the machine. For less than the price of even a beat-up EM machine, I can enjoy a brand new take on classic pin games, built on an innovative and modern platform. The icing on the cake? I didn’t have to haul a back-breaking 300 pound game down to the basement! Finally, Grand Slam Rally has that one trait all game players value and seek out – the “one more” attribute. When I step up to my P3 to play some baseball, I know I’m there for 5 or 6 games, minimum! To steal the game’s opening callout – “It’s a beautiful day for baseball!” Many thanks to Multimorphic and 86 Pixels for this wonderful game. I can’t wait to show it to my friends at the next Dave Cave Open House.“ - Dave Goodwin

A fun, simple, yet highly addictive game. The whole family loves it.” – Michael Fisher, Australia

“Grand Slam Rally showcases the versatility of the P3 platform by transforming your machine into a pitch-and-bat baseball game. It’s great solo or with friends and is a fun addition to a growing library of P3 games.” – Kevin Manne of Buffalo Pinball

Full announcement text here: https://www.multimorphic.com/news/cosmic-cart-racing-grand-slam-rally-and-backbox-displays-all-shipping/

- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

GSR_16x9_small (resized).pngGSR_16x9_small (resized).png

1 month later
#2 5 years ago

With software only titles — I’m wondering what you guys think about trial periods before purchasing a full game — something along the lines of 3 - 5 games then the trial expires or maybe only certain features are active or for GSR — you get 25 pitches or something? Seems achievable and possibly a way to give owners a quick chance to try the games out and allow just enough play to get them interested in the full purchase.

#3 5 years ago

I remember this being discussed at a show at some point... I don't recall if it was a personal conversation with Gerry or if it was in a seminar.

That said; I think I'd rather the Multimorphic team work on getting the number of titles out; rather than trying to build more infrastructure which doesn't add long term value.

IE Trials *may* bring new customers; but it adds no value if you don't have the underlying upper PF module. IE in the case of GSR; it works... but it wouldn't work for CCR if you don't have the CCR PF. (which I don't - yet )

#4 5 years ago

They could also potentially take the free trial concept a step further and create a "per-game" pricing option for software-only titles (e.g., 50 cents or $1 / play). Although I agree the current priority should be building the customer base and getting the hardware out there.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

They could also potentially take the free trial concept a step further and create a "per-game" pricing option for software-only titles (e.g., 50 cents or $1 / play).

Not sure what you're describing or how it would work.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Not sure what you're describing or how it would work.

The P3 has a network connection. Let's say I had the CL playfield but I wasn't sure if I would get bored of Grand Slam Rally. Rather than spending $399 to "own" the software, I pay a typical pinball price (say $0.50 or $1) using a linked credit card for a single play. The P3 uses its network connection to authorize the transaction.

The business model is basically to capture some of the market of those who are either unsure about purchasing the software or those who would enjoy playing the title a few times but not enough to justify the full purchase price.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

The P3 has a network connection. Let's say I had the CL playfield but I wasn't sure if I would get bored of Grand Slam Rally. Rather than spending $399 to "own" the software, I pay a typical pinball price (say $0.50 or $1) using a linked credit card for a single play. The P3 uses its network connection to authorize the transaction.
The business model is basically to capture some of the market of those who are either unsure about purchasing the software or those who would enjoy playing the title a few times but not enough to justify the full purchase price.

Thanks for the explanation.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I remember this being discussed at a show at some point... I don't recall if it was a personal conversation with Gerry or if it was in a seminar.
That said; I think I'd rather the Multimorphic team work on getting the number of titles out; rather than trying to build more infrastructure which doesn't add long term value.
IE Trials *may* bring new customers; but it adds no value if you don't have the underlying upper PF module. IE in the case of GSR; it works... but it wouldn't work for CCR if you don't have the CCR PF. (which I don't - yet )

I brought this up to Gerry about a year ago and discussed with him again just last week. He said they have the underlying infrastructure already. I really hope they implement this. I love the software-only concept, but for mini-game executions like GSR, I'm just not sure if it would have enough legs for me to play long-term. Since software-only games have essentially zero resale value, making them a sunk cost, trying would go a long way toward determining whether to purchase. Plus, it should be Multimorphic's goal to put as many apps on every P3 as they can, so removing barriers to purchase should be in their path forward.

#9 5 years ago

$399 isn't a lot in the pinball world; but I see the 'draw' of a trial/per game concept.
Given GSR is a @86pixels game (3rd party); the 3rd party could try that concept fairly easily.
The problem is then how does the 3rd party revenue share with Mulitmorphic?
No; I'm not sure there is a revenue share in the contract - but we'd have to assume there is.

I'd personally prefer the micro transactions be based on some existing payment gateway; I'm a little leery of storing my credit card in some system which hasn't been proven hack-resistant. This Google or Apple pay or something similar. Or maybe have a one time "bucket" charge that would allow for the correct number... ie $20usd gives 40plays or something.

#10 5 years ago

Support for a couple of forms of trials are in the framework already, and we have plans to implement a couple of more. In fact, we gave some of our beta testers time-based trials on some of the mini-games a while back. We plan to make use of trials more moving forward, but as Zitt pointed out, sometimes there are more things to consider.

Regarding micro transactions... that's a big topic and something we've discussed internally for a long time and have built certain hooks into the framework to support trusted 3rd party transaction partners. Whether or not we ever enable micro-transactions remains to be seen. It's not a topic we take lightly.

I have to admit, it's fun to occasionally see topics like this come up here. It gives a glimpse into the infrastructure required to implement a full platform ecosystem. I've said it a few times recently... infrastructure work to support all of the features you'd expect from a platform dwarf the dev time any pinball company in the industry spends on game dev. I recognize that you guys really just want a growing library of fun games to play, so this isn't stuff we talk about a lot public, but we've implemented a massive amount of infrastructure that I suspect no other company in pinball has needed to even think about [yet]. The platform concept has so many advantages over single-themed games, but it requires implementation of a huge set of framework features. I feel great about the current state of the P3 infrastructure, but there's still more to do. Internet match-making and game-serving anybody?

Regarding the value of Grand Slam Rally... GSR provides a pitch-n-bat experience that's just as complete as real stand-alone pitch and bat machines. The concepts are all perfectly suited for the P3 hardware, and 86Pixels tied everything together really well. If you like pitch-n-bats, you'll love the game. Just ask current GSR owners.

Regarding pricing, that's something I might never understand in this industry. I keep reading about people spending hundreds of dollars to add unnecessary add-on lighting systems to each of their games so they can avoid turning on their room light, and they'll pay another couple of hundred per machine for a piece of plastic to put on top of each backbox. In my mind, new game content like GSR provides infinitely more value and fun.

- Gerry

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

and they'll pay another couple of hundred per machine for a piece of plastic to put on top of each backbox.

So when are you releasing P3 game-specific toppers? </sarcasm>

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

So when are you releasing P3 game-specific toppers? &lt;/sarcasm&gt;

Lol hey yeah we want our overpriced toppers!!!

Gerry thanks for response, I echo what others said about focusing on expanding Library but it sounds like setting up the trial periods could happen which is awesome! If you just allowed 5 or so games it would be a good tease of the gameplay enough to entice people on the fence.

When you compare software only games vs a $200-400 topper, it def. makes the games value look even that much better.

1 month later
#13 5 years ago

One day left on the 7-day free trial period for Grand Slam Rally. If you own a P3 and have the Cannon Lagoon playfield, try it out!

- Gerry

#14 5 years ago

Trial period was a great idea and I’ve been playing some GSR — a lot of fun and well done. Nice software addition for the CL pf

#15 5 years ago

Did anyone else have an issue with balls releasing behind a raised scoop? I'd say 30-50% of my outs came from a ball bouncing off the back of a raised scoop and back into the hole it came from, producing an immediate out. If the ball didn't bounce back into the hole, it would sit there (no ball search) until I purposely exhausted the flip allotment to produce a strike (which lowered the scoops). Got annoying pretty fast.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Did anyone else have an issue with balls releasing behind a raised scoop?

That shouldn't ever happen. The game is written to always have the scoops down prior to launching and to only raise the scoops for outs after the ball rolls a certain distance down the LCD. It sounds like either you have some scoops sticking up or your ball tracking is set a bit too sensitive. You should be able to isolate the issue in Diagnostics. Cycling features in wall/scoop test will show if any devices are sticking up. Testing "Ball Tracking" will show if any grid lines are spuriously activating.

- Gerry

#17 5 years ago

Yeah - played maybe 15 innings so far and no issues with scoop blocks- everything worked well. The grand slams are a fun feature.

2 years later
#18 2 years ago

GSR gameplay
buffalo pinball

gammagoat

Dave G

jimmy

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

GSR gameplay
buffalo pinball
gammagoat
Dave G
jimmy

Can't wait to try this game out!

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Can't wait to try this game out!

Yaaaaaaa. After watching streams last night. I wanna play this.

#21 2 years ago

Just added this to my P3 library ,pretty cool game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

$ 20.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-slam-rally-for-the-p3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.