(Topic ID: 317977)

Grand Slam (1953) Flipper Links - Do I have to make them?

By HydrogenHuman

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2532 (resized).jpg
29361070-8B1F-48B4-A6A9-5E690D18F10B (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

So I've wanted to replace the flipper assemblies and linkages for my 1953 Gottlieb Grand Slam, but I was wondering if there is any easier way to go about it rather than having to cut and drill from bakelite pieces.

I really want to get the flippers re-assembled but this is the one annoying hurdle I'm facing!

#2 1 year ago

If you aren’t a stickler for original parts. Get a 1990s WPC rebuild kit, flipper plates and a couple coil brackets and your all set and it’s cheaper than the first version of rebuild kit Steve young offers.

Your flippers will be stronger too. Basically you are getting all new flippers less the coil and bats

I will be doing this during my playfield swap of 1950 Knock Out.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

If you aren’t a stickler for original parts. Get a 1990s WPC rebuild kit, flipper plates and a couple coil brackets and your all set and it’s cheaper than the first version of rebuild kit Steve young offers.
Your flippers will be stronger too. Basically you are getting all new flippers less the coil and bats
I will be doing this during my playfield swap of 1950 Knock Out.

Have you tried that before, and did it work? I was figuring you could just use more "modern" assemblies, but I wanted to confirm to make sure it was possible.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

Have you tried that before, and did it work? I was figuring you could just use more "modern" assemblies, but I wanted to confirm to make sure it was possible.

I’ve probably done 5 or 6 games and my friend has done maybe 20+

Here’s my super soccer playfield laying in a closet. Obviously I just need to add the kit. If the diameter of the coils is smaller you might add an extra washer on either the flipper coil stop or the support bracket.

Most importantly make sure you have room for your new flipper plate

29361070-8B1F-48B4-A6A9-5E690D18F10B (resized).jpeg29361070-8B1F-48B4-A6A9-5E690D18F10B (resized).jpeg
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

I’ve probably done 5 or 6 games and my friend has done maybe 20+
Here’s my super soccer playfield laying in a closet. Obviously I just need to add the kit. If the diameter of the coils is smaller you might add an extra washer on either the flipper coil stop or the support bracket.
Most importantly make sure you have room for your new flipper plate
[quoted image]

Which specific kit do you usually purchase, and from where?

#6 1 year ago

Rebuild kit:
https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-rebuild-kit-williamsbally-081993-101998-spooky-2014-present-jjp-2012-present.html

Correct EOS. I haven't tried the older kits which include proper EOS:
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-end-of-stroke-switch-normally-closed.html

Bracket for the other side of the coil:
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-solenoidcoil-bracket.html
You'll need hardware to mount this to the plate since the plate is drilled for larger coils.

Bushings (thought these came with kit but I guess not) don't forget hardware to mount:
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-nylon-flipper-bushing.html

Rubber Grommet:
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-rubber-bumper-pluggrommet.html

Left plate:
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-left-staked-flipper-base-sub-assembly.html

Right plate:
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-right-staked-flipper-base-sub-assembly.html

Grab some extra hardware to mount the plates. Extra washers too if you need to adjust your coil. Some games are ok others I have to shim up or down a little.

This is the first time I've compiled a list like this for this so I apologize in advance if I've forgotten anything. I think this is it though. My friend repairs games for a living so I get to "borrow" parts when I come up short on things.

To be honest I noticed prices have gone up a little so if you feel this might be cost prohibitive you could pick up some bakelite to fit from Steve Young but I love the feel of these flippers on older machines if you can budget it.

#7 1 year ago

The assemblies may be tough to recreate but the linkages should be easy. Do you have the old linkages? If so, it's not too complicated to take the old ones and use them to mark where to cut out and then drill the bakelite. I use a short screw and lock nut (with some heat shrink around the screw) for the post that opens the EOS switch. The one in the photo below is from a Twin Bill that had a sloppy linkage, but the linkages on Grand Slam are similar and so it shouldn't take too much effort or time to make them.

Pinball Resource has the material for $1.75 and it can make a few ("MAT-LINK" on Tools/Supplies page: "Link Material - Did you ever run accros[sic] a broken Flipper or Slingshot link and did not have one in your tool box to replace it? Do you have an unusual Flipper Link that no vendor offers? We are offering the Link material so you can make your own! This is sold in a strip: 7/8” Wide by 12” Long by 0.125 Thick(1/8”)").

How bad are the assemblies? Got any photos?

If the assemblies are too worn to function well (I've seen some with posts that are so badly worn from years of play that they are thin as a toothpick and ready to break or are just too sloppy in action), you might want to check if anyone has any appropriate spares in the EM seeking parts thread. Based on my recollection, the assemblies for early to mid 50s Gottliebs are all the same except for the orientation of the post that interacts with the link (some go up; others down).

IMG_2532 (resized).jpgIMG_2532 (resized).jpg
#8 1 year ago
Quoted from tfduda:

The assemblies may be tough to recreate but the linkages should be easy. Do you have the old linkages? If so, it's not too complicated to take the old ones and use them to mark where to cut out and then drill the bakelite. I use a short screw and lock nut (with some heat shrink around the screw) for the post that opens the EOS switch. The one in the photo below is from a Twin Bill that had a sloppy linkage, but the linkages on Grand Slam are similar and so it shouldn't take too much effort or time to make them.
Pinball Resource has the material for $1.75 and it can make a few ("MAT-LINK" on Tools/Supplies page: "Link Material - Did you ever run accros[sic] a broken Flipper or Slingshot link and did not have one in your tool box to replace it? Do you have an unusual Flipper Link that no vendor offers? We are offering the Link material so you can make your own! This is sold in a strip: 7/8” Wide by 12” Long by 0.125 Thick(1/8”)").
How bad are the assemblies? Got any photos?
If the assemblies are too worn to function well (I've seen some with posts that are so badly worn from years of play that they are thin as a toothpick and ready to break or are just too sloppy in action), you might want to check if anyone has any appropriate spares in the EM seeking parts thread. Based on my recollection, the assemblies for early to mid 50s Gottliebs are all the same except for the orientation of the post that interacts with the link (some go up; others down).
[quoted image]

I do have the original linkages and yep, I used them for reference! I actually have one bakelite already cut and drilled, but I ran into an issue where, the short screw I used ended up blocking the coil plunger from turning completely, which is the current problem.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

short screw I used ended up blocking the coil plunger from turning completely

? - Not sure I get what you mean. Doesn't the plunger just pull straight back into the coil?

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from tfduda:

? - Not sure I get what you mean. Doesn't the plunger just pull straight back into the coil?

The set screw going into the pawl or however you spell it.

#11 1 year ago

EDIT: Actually, since I have most of the parts already for rebuilding it traditionally, maybe I can get a spare linkage somehow.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-slam-1953-flipper-links-do-i-have-to-make-them?hl=hydrogenhuman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.