(Topic ID: 286420)

Why does No3 Reset Re fire when scoring 500Pts! (Scores on all players at once)

By Fred736

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MarkG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Grand Prix Impulse cam (resized).jpg
20210130_202727 (resized).jpg
20210130_203100 (resized).jpg
20210130_202917 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180830_202055 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190315_224550 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200118_171721 (resized).jpg
20210130_171258 (resized).jpg
20210125_212113~2 (resized).jpg
Grand Prix Motor 3 switches (resized).jpg
20210124_201407 (resized).jpg
20210124_201638~2 (resized).jpg
sch01 (resized).jpg
Back 02 (resized).jpg
Back 03 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mopar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Fred736:

the one thing he did was to dismantle and reassemble the IMP switch stack and the problem disappeared.

Years back, I had a short problem with a Top Score, so I ordered a schematic and
figured the cross over in a switch stack in the head. Somehow, someway, a switch
stack insulator failed. There was continuity from one switch to another where an insulator
should have been preventing that from happening. I went through that stack and fixed
the problem. I had the same problem with a ball bowler's Score Motor wiper. The insulator
failed. I have a Grand Prix set up, but no schematics. If you find that the 500 point relay
impulse switch is in the same stack as the #3 Reset Relay's, that's maybe where I would
consentrate on next..

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Fred736:

So this would further pinpoint the problem (a short?!) as being downstream of that No1 Star relay switch... I think?!
And also probably upstream from the L and R Bonus relay switches... Maybe...

Are you saying that the #3 Reset Relay activates only on that switches' 5th pulse,
but not on it's first 4 pulses?
Yes, when the Right and Left Bonus Relays aren't energized and their switches in that
circuitry is open, indicates that the problem is between there, and the #1 Star Relay.
Do you have any questions on any of the sets of switches that I can check in my machine
that may help? Pretty sure I don't have schematics, but I'll check..

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Fred736:

that would point to a faulty switch stack insulator people have been hunting at.

Yup, I first stated that if the 500 Point Relay was in the same stack as the #3 Reset Relay,
but should have said the 100 Point Relay which it is in the same stack..
Like you said, the problem appears to be between the #1 Star switch and Bonus Reset
switch which points right to that switch stack..
Faulty flat insulator, tube the screw goes in, or maybe even a thin tiny foreign metal stran..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 12.00
Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mopar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-prix-why-does-no3-reset-relay-fire-when-scoring-500pts-?tu=Mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.