(Topic ID: 286420)

Why does No3 Reset Re fire when scoring 500Pts! (Scores on all players at once)

By Fred736

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MarkG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Grand Prix Impulse cam (resized).jpg
20210130_202727 (resized).jpg
20210130_203100 (resized).jpg
20210130_202917 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180830_202055 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190315_224550 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200118_171721 (resized).jpg
20210130_171258 (resized).jpg
20210125_212113~2 (resized).jpg
Grand Prix Motor 3 switches (resized).jpg
20210124_201407 (resized).jpg
20210124_201638~2 (resized).jpg
sch01 (resized).jpg
Back 02 (resized).jpg
Back 03 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Normally, hitting one of the Left or Right Stand up Switches pulls in the 500 pts Relay which in turn starts the Score Motor and thru Switch A on the Impulse cam fires the 100 pts Relay 5 times to jog the current player's 100's Score Reel.

However, on my machine, the No3 Reset relay also fires once immediatly after the 5 impulses. This cause, thru the Score Reel reset circutry, all the not-at-zero 10,000s and 100,000 scores reels of all players to jog once!

Have a look at the couple of videos below.

This one shows the score reel action when player 2 scores 500 pts. You can see all the other players non-zero score reels jump up one digit after the 500 pts is scored for player 2:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LKAmc6g1esjkVi8x9

This second one, you can see the 100 pts Points relay pull in 5 times and then the No3 Reset relay pulling in once:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mVzk7DCAxNhfxpJ96

I beleive I can logically eliminate a few suspect such as the Coin and Reset Realy switches cuz if they were closing for some reason, The No1 and No2 Reset relays and the Playmeter would also fire. Not the case.

I did test that out anyway by dropping cardboard strips in all switches that could provide a power path the the No3 Relay coil to energize it:

sch01 (resized).jpgsch01 (resized).jpg

i) One in the Score Motor Impulse switch B (in red) located immediately before the No3 Relay coil which indeed stopped it from firing. Believe that eliminates intermittent short between that switch and relay coil.

ii) Then in the Reset and Game Over switches (in yellow). They are in parallel and located just before the Impulse Switch B. That did not stop the No3 Reset relay from firing. So I believe this would point to some kind of short between those two switches and the Impulse switch B.

All these switches are on the cabinet insert. So I cant disconnect any Jones plugs to do any continuity tests to ground or something.
And i may very well be missing something else.

Any suggestions out there?

Added a couple close up pics of the relays.

Back 03 (resized).jpgBack 03 (resized).jpg

sch01 (resized).jpgsch01 (resized).jpg

(P.S. I don't know why the schematic pic appears twice on this post, I've inserted it only once. Plus this line of text was placed after all the pics. Arghhh..)
Back 02 (resized).jpgBack 02 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

The Score Motor is a place where there are lots of solder tabs close together that could easily short to one another. Have a close look at the blue-white wire on the motor Impulse B switch to see if it's touching anything it shouldn't be.

/Mark

#3 3 years ago

That seemed so probable to me that it made me reopen my shop just to verify that....

Could no see any shorts. Spaced the tabs better just in case. Checked for stripped wires touching. None found.

Powered up and tested. No go. Same issue.

Tomorrow, I'll take a good look at all switch tabs on that SM. See if I can find anything.

Keep the ideas coming.

Thanks

#4 3 years ago

Checked all tabs on SM. Inspected them properly.
did not find any shorts. Adjusted them all regardless.some were pretty close.
But no luck.

Checked the tab at the two other switches that Blu-W wire connects to.
No luck there either.

I spotted the same behaviour when scoring the bonus.
But not when scoring spinners or pop bumpers.
Don't really seams that the behaviors only occurs when scoring involves the score motor.

Will keep looking...

#5 3 years ago

If your Score Motor has a service jack you could unplug it then hit a 500 point target then manually rotate the Score Motor cams slowly to get a better idea of what's happening and when it happens. Experiment with the Impulse B switch blocked and unblocked to see if you can get any more clues. It seems likely that the blue-white wire is shorted to something, perhaps only briefly while the motor is turning.

#6 3 years ago

Good idea, I will run the SM manually.

In the mean time, I've done more research and stumbled on this topic form 6 years ago by pinsider rufessor

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-prix-random-10000-and-100000-score-advance#post-1660306

He had the EXACT same issue as I.
He even found that the issue goes away when the AB or the CD targets are hit. And returns when moving on to next player.
I had not noticed that behaviour but was able to verify it consistently on my machine. It's totally repeatable.

The unfortunate thing is that in the end, after a ton of trouble shooting, the one thing he did was to dismantle and reassemble the IMP switch stack and the problem disappeared. Arghhhh... He never really pinpointed the problem. I'll try that, but I'm sceptical that was the actual solution.

I'll certainly try to find the relation with the drop target circuit.

Kowing now that another fellow had the exact same issue, that the issue appears without fails in the very same repeatable conditions tends to make be believe it may not be a spurious short somewhere. If that were the case, I believe the problem may likely not be so repeatable.

Adding to the weirdness of this is the fact that in his topic, rufessor also talks about another sporadic problem he has with his machine (Bonus unit not always stepping up one step after a total reset). I also have that same very sporadic problem. It is really weird that this guy had all same issues as I do. He does mention what he thought the solution was to that problem (an improperly gapped switch on the alternator relay), but he doesn't believe it was related to the scoring problem as that one was solved before he solve this one.

#7 3 years ago

Well well well, here is something. Can't say if it's related or not.
I just discovered a discrepancy between the schematic and my machine. But I think it's factory.

I was scrutinising my score motor and found that switch stack on cam 3 on my machine has one more switch than on the schematic.

See pics.
(Yes, I am looking at the right cam. Cam 3 is the one right after the long dwell, shown in the foreground.)

20210124_201407 (resized).jpg20210124_201407 (resized).jpg

20210124_201638~2 (resized).jpg20210124_201638~2 (resized).jpg

Anybody have an explanation for this?

(Oh BTW, this does seem to reveal a gaping problem with the switch D but that's just because the cam follower is already partially riding up the cam.)

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Fred736:

the one thing he did was to dismantle and reassemble the IMP switch stack and the problem disappeared.

Years back, I had a short problem with a Top Score, so I ordered a schematic and
figured the cross over in a switch stack in the head. Somehow, someway, a switch
stack insulator failed. There was continuity from one switch to another where an insulator
should have been preventing that from happening. I went through that stack and fixed
the problem. I had the same problem with a ball bowler's Score Motor wiper. The insulator
failed. I have a Grand Prix set up, but no schematics. If you find that the 500 point relay
impulse switch is in the same stack as the #3 Reset Relay's, that's maybe where I would
consentrate on next..

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

If you find that the 500 point relay impulse switch is in the same stack as the #3 Reset Relay's,

Not really the case here, but a failed insulator can still be the culprit. So I'll certainly be looking at that.

#10 3 years ago

I think you found an error in the score motor documentation, not a wiring error. The schematic shows switches 3D and 3E:
Grand Prix Motor 3 switches (resized).jpgGrand Prix Motor 3 switches (resized).jpg
Also, I too have encountered a failed switch stack insulator. Mine was not a dead short but it did conduct enough current to get hot and smoke. It's definitely worth a look.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I think you found an error in the score motor documentation, not a wiring error. The schematic shows switches 3D and 3E:

You beat me to that one. I thought that might have been the case as I was laying in bed last night night thinking about this. Got up this am to verify and saw your post just before.

But there is still a slight discrepeancy as the stack has only one MB switch and the schematic shows two. Thinking one of the two shown in the schematic may only be connected on one of the throws?

In any case, we may be going down a rabbit hole. Don't think it's related to the issue at hand.

#12 3 years ago

Moved one step ahead on this in one.
As suggested, I operated the SM manually after scoring 500pts.
And I found that the it's the cam 5 switch stack that activates the No3 Reset relay. The cam follower drops into the cam 5 notch just an instant after the 5th and last pulse of the impulse cam and that is exactly when the No3 Reset relay pulls in.
So to figure out which switch of the stack was causing it to pull in I held the switches up over the notch of cam 5 and let them drop one by one. This allowed me to pinpoint the switch responsible for activating the No1 Reset relay. And it turns out it is switch 5A (circled in red). I confirmed this by repeatidly opening and closing that switch and seeing the No1 Reset relay pull and drop consistently. Wow... That switch doesnt even come close to being related to the No3 Reset relay circuitry....
Moreover, looking at that switch's circuit explains why the problem disappears after hitting AB or CD stand ups. Hitting any pair of stand-ups energizes the No1 Star relay. Which opens the switch in series with 5A (circled in green). Until that relay drops again for the next player or ball.

So this would further pinpoint the problem (a short?!) as being downstream of that No1 Star relay switch... I think?!
And also probably upstream from the L and R Bonus relay switches... Maybe...

20210125_212113~2 (resized).jpg20210125_212113~2 (resized).jpg

Hum...

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

@MarkG: I was looking at that cam 3 switch stack and schematic. Im.pretty sure the two switches you have highlighted are really the same ones! Both throws of he same MB switch. They actually share the same common wire R-G.
So really the error is that the one labelled 3E should really be labeled 3D.

So we are back at my initial question: what is that 5th switch in my cam 3 stack?
And it looks like a NO switch between the C and D. With a Y and a R-Y wire. All the other wire on the other switch match the score motor documentation.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Fred736:

So this would further pinpoint the problem (a short?!) as being downstream of that No1 Star relay switch... I think?!
And also probably upstream from the L and R Bonus relay switches... Maybe...

Are you saying that the #3 Reset Relay activates only on that switches' 5th pulse,
but not on it's first 4 pulses?
Yes, when the Right and Left Bonus Relays aren't energized and their switches in that
circuitry is open, indicates that the problem is between there, and the #1 Star Relay.
Do you have any questions on any of the sets of switches that I can check in my machine
that may help? Pretty sure I don't have schematics, but I'll check..

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Fred736:

And it turns out it is switch 5A (circled in red). I confirmed this by repeatidly opening and closing that switch and seeing the No1 Reset relay pull and drop consistently. Wow... That switch doesnt even come close to being related to the No3 Reset relay circuitry....

The 5A switch shares a blue-black wire with the Impulse-C switch, which is just above the Impulse-B switch that fires the #3 Reset relay. Ohm them out (with resistance, not continuity) to see if they're shorted together somehow.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Are you saying that the #3 Reset Relay activates only on that switches' 5th pulse,
but not on it's first 4 pulses?

No, it fires when the switch 5A hits the notch of cam 5. This happens just a tad after the 5th impulse of the Impulse cam. The 5th impulse itself does not energizes the No3 Reset re.

No questions just yet but maybe tomorrow or the day after when I get back to my shop. Time for bed now. Gotta get up bright and early in the morning.
Thanks for the offer.

Quoted from MarkG:

The 5A switch shares a blue-black wire with the Impulse-C switch, which is just above the Impulse-B switch that fires the #3 Reset relay. Ohm them out (with resistance, not continuity) to see if they're shorted together somehow.

Ah yes! That could be it. I have to resist going back to the shop to check this now...
I'll let you know. But that would point to a faulty switch stack insulator people have been hunting at.

On a side note, what do you think of that new information regarding the extra-switch-on-cam 3 mystery?

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Fred736:

that would point to a faulty switch stack insulator people have been hunting at.

Yup, I first stated that if the 500 Point Relay was in the same stack as the #3 Reset Relay,
but should have said the 100 Point Relay which it is in the same stack..
Like you said, the problem appears to be between the #1 Star switch and Bonus Reset
switch which points right to that switch stack..
Faulty flat insulator, tube the screw goes in, or maybe even a thin tiny foreign metal stran..

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Fred736:

On a side note, what do you think of that new information regarding the extra-switch-on-cam 3 mystery?

Yeah, I overlooked the little hyperspace arrow thingies that take you far away in the schematic. They do seem to be different sides of the same switch even though they're labeled differently.

#19 3 years ago

Impulse switch stack...
20210130_171258 (resized).jpg20210130_171258 (resized).jpg

Can you see it? It was staring me in the face he whole time. Can't believe I missed that.

This stack is the only one that has no insulating papers between the switches. I can't figure out why that would be. rufessor mentioned this in his topic also. He very likely had the same problem as I did.

Anyway, the machine works flawlessly now. It's been a long restauration.

Thanks for the troubleshooting help.

#20 3 years ago

A few pics to close this post.

20210130_202727 (resized).jpg20210130_202727 (resized).jpg

20210130_202917 (resized).jpg20210130_202917 (resized).jpg

20210130_203100 (resized).jpg20210130_203100 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200118_171721 (resized).jpgIMG_20200118_171721 (resized).jpg

IMG_20190315_224550 (resized).jpgIMG_20190315_224550 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180830_202055 (resized).jpgIMG_20180830_202055 (resized).jpg

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Fred736:

Impulse switch stack... Can you see it?

Excellent. For those following along at home...
Grand Prix Impulse cam (resized).jpgGrand Prix Impulse cam (resized).jpg
Really nice playfield too...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/grand-prix-why-does-no3-reset-relay-fire-when-scoring-500pts-?hl=mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.